Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March For Choice 29th Sept 2pm the Spire.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Sharrow wrote: »
    If you can't make the March maybe you can make the fundraiser.

Awesome Comedy Fundraiser for The March for Choice.

Saturday, 15 September 2012 20:00 The Sugar Club 8 Lower Leeson Street, D 2

https://www.facebook.com/events/151641771641826/

Was just coming to post this after it popped up in my Facebook feed. Any of you fine ladies (or gents, lest I forget) interested in a night out? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Millicent wrote: »
    Was just coming to post this after it popped up in my Facebook feed. Any of you fine ladies (or gents, lest I forget) interested in a night out? :)

I'd actually be tempted, sore lack of standup comedy in these arts and its for something I support.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Looks like good craic, am away that weekend though.

krudler wrote: »
    I'd actually be tempted, sore lack of standup comedy in these arts and its for something I support.

Ah g'wan. G'wan, g'wan, g'wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

So have you lobbied for better sex education and access to contraception?
    sex education has been starting earlier and earlier in schools. and contraception is very available in ireland. so what should i be lobbieing for exactly?

• Advertisement

The very idea that women living in a first world country are denied basic reproductive healthcare distresses and horrifies me to my very core, I want to do everything in my power to see that Irish women have the right to a safe, legal abortion in their own country.

I'll hopefully be there, it'll be my first march, looking forward to it :)
    abortion isnt basic reproductive healthcare. and women can access it just not in this country. thats the law.

PucaMama wrote: »
    thats the law.

And people want it not to be the law. Hence the march.

abortion isnt basic reproductive healthcare. thats the law.

Also, yes it is. How can you say it's not?

Also, yes it is. How can you say it's not?
    its realy not basic. if it was it wouldnt be so risky. basic pregnancy care would be for example scans.

And people want it not to be the law. Hence the march.
    some want the change, not all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

But the ones that don't shouldn't be able to dictate to the rest whether that change happens or not. We live in a democracy, sunshine.

its realy not basic. if it was it wouldnt be so risky. basic pregnancy care would be for example scans.

Well, it is basic (as in the minimum healthcare a woman can expect) if there are complications that may endanger the woman's life or leave her to give birth to a dead or rapidly dying baby. "Basic" does not mean "simple" in this instance -- it means the minimum that one can expect from the health system.

So what's your issue with the march? If you don't want the change, why not have your own march or join Youth Defence? It's all part of the democratic process.

ETA: That doesn't answer why "that's the law" is a reasonable answer to this. If Sharia Law came in the morning, would you shrug your shoulders and say "that's the law", even if it infringed on your rights?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Let's try to keep this all civil please. I know it's an emotive and divisive subject at the best of times, but we can all hopefully debate without going too far. Thanks

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well, it is basic (as in the minimum healthcare a woman can expect) if there are complications that may endanger the woman's life or leave her to give birth to a dead or rapidly dying baby. "Basic" does not mean "simple" in this instance -- it means the minimum that one can expect from the health system.

So what's your issue with the march? If you don't want the change, why not have your own march or join Youth Defence? It's all part of the democratic process.

ETA: That doesn't answer why "that's the law" is a reasonable answer to this. If Sharia Law came in the morning, would you shrug your shoulders and say "that's the law", even if it infringed on your rights?

arent there already provisions made for pregnancies that seriously risk the health of the mother?

also i wouldnt do well in youth defence because i have the common sense to use contraception and think others should too.

well now i couldnt do very much about sharia law :rolleyes: but i can use my vote for this topic when i have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭claireblossom

Abortion is one of the safest surgical procedures out there, no more dangerous than having your tonsils or appendix taken out (obviously I'm not equating a foetus with an appendix or anything like that, just speaking purely on health and safety terms)
    I'm not denying that abortion can have a negative effect on a woman's mental health, this is very apparent in Ireland where women are forced to go abroad, many terrified and alone for abortions, when they return to Ireland, there are very little counselling and support services available. Because of the social taboo of abortion in Ireland, many women who have abortions do so in secret, with no one to talk to, out of fear of rejection from friends and family, so of course they can be susceptible to mental health issues.
    If safe and legal abortion were available in Ireland, the rates of Irish women suffering from depression as a result of an abortion would be reduced.

I myself would probably never have an abortion, note the word probably, because I have never been pregnant and cannot put myself in the shoes of a woman suffering a crisis pregnancy, my stance could change completely if something similar were to happen to me.
    I don't like abortions, so I won't have one, my choice.
    My best friend tells me tomorrow that she is pregnant and considering abortion, I'll stand by her whatever her decision, her choice.

arent there already provisions made for pregnancies that seriously risk the health of the mother?

also i wouldnt do well in youth defence because i have the common sense to use contraception and think others should too.

well now i couldnt do very much about sharia law
    :rolleyes: but i can use my vote for this topic when i have to.

well by that example if the government announced tomorrow it was becoming law, oh well, its the law? do remember that condoms will illegal in this country until the early 90's outside of a doctors prescription, thats absolutely staggering to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I'm definitely thinking about going to this. I'm not from Ireland but have been here a good chunk of time (a bit more than 4.5 years) and I am also very ashamed to say that in my former life as a staunch fundamentalist Christian I once attended a pro-life rally - as someone who has finally seen the light (pun intended), I want to put that wrong right :)

No. The government is still failing to enact the legislation required in cases like that. In the case of something like an ectopic pregnancy, it can be done to prevent instant death but there is still a shortfall otherwise. More reading here.

Start another group then. I actually think it would be more effective for the pro-life side to have a more moderate voice. YD does its cause more harm than good, IMO.
    well now i couldnt do very much about sharia law :rolleyes: but i can use my vote for this topic when i have to.

Well good. Use your vote then. Just don't expect to use "it's the law" as a justification for restricting abortion without expecting it to be challenged.

well by that example if the government announced tomorrow it was becoming law, oh well, its the law? do remember that condoms will illegal in this country until the early 90's outside of a doctors prescription, thats absolutely staggering to me.

well there still would be very little i could against it. especialy since i probably couldnt vote.

i no they were illegal. but now they are not. and they should prevent unwanted pregnancy. you also have the morning after pill. once illegal without prescription, now available over the counter. amazing since we cant even get decent painkillers in the same way now but thats another discussion:rolleyes:. anyway, condoms, the pill and even the morning after pill all there available to people. there should be very few "accidents" happening.

well there still would be very little i could against it. especialy since i probably couldnt vote.

i no they were illegal. but now they are not. and they should prevent unwanted pregnancy. you also have the morning after pill. once illegal without prescription, now available over the counter. amazing since we cant even get decent painkillers in the same way now but thats another discussion:rolleyes:. anyway, condoms, the pill and even the morning after pill all there available to people. there should be very few "accidents" happening.

Yet there are, and our teen pregnancy rate is among the highest in Europe. condoms break, other medication can limit the pills effectiveness, the MAP may not be available in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Caitlin Moran just retweeted about the comedy event. I <3 Caitlin Moran. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Funny, for people who are all about "options", some seem to have been left out of the poll answers one can select...

Yet there are, and our teen pregnancy rate is among the highest in Europe. condoms break, other medication can limit the pills effectiveness, the MAP may not be available in time.
    if they are so unreliable get the injection or the patch or the implant.

also teenage pregnancies say more about parenting etc than they do about education and availability of contraception. i have taken contraceptives since i was 16 for medical reasons. every since i first relied on them for contraception (around 20) i havent had 1 unplanned pregnancy. how can i do it and so many others cant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Funny, for people who are all about "options", some seem to have been left out of the poll answers one can select...

?

Either people who are pro choice will be there or won't be there but have the chance to express they are pro choice and is they are anti choice when they won't be there. And if they won't give a hoot about it there is the american flag option.

if they are so unreliable get the injection or the patch or the implant.

also teenage pregnancies say more about parenting etc than they do about education and availability of contraception. i have taken contraceptives since i was 16 for medical reasons. every since i first relied on them for contraception (around 20) i havent had 1 unplanned pregnancy. how can i do it and so many others cant?

Because you're so much better than all those silly girls who get themselves in the family way is what you seem to driving at, as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Every contraceptive (or combination) has a non-zero failure rate, even with perfect use. Even the most responsible couple can be unlucky enough to be that 1% (or less).

Because you're so much better than all those silly girls who get themselves in the family way is what you seem to driving at, as far as I can see.

did i say that :rolleyes: dont think so.

they should use the contraceptives.

prevention is better than cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

if they are so unreliable get the injection or the patch or the implant. .

All of which are hormonal contraception and not suitable for every woman.
    also teenage pregnancies say more about parenting etc than they do about education and availability of contraception.

I've got teens and the sex ed which they are given in schools is limited and does not go into contraceptives. There is no national comprehensive mandatory health based sex education program in this country.
    i have taken contraceptives since i was 16 for medical reasons. every since i first relied on them for contraception (around 20) i havent had 1 unplanned pregnancy. how can i do it and so many others cant?

Huzzah for you, just as well you can use hormonal contraception and never had a conflict of medication or got sick or had the runs and so ended up getting pregnant. Try and think beyond yourself and have some compassion.

Stop trying to paint women who end up in a crises pregnancy situation as stupid or reckless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

?

Either people who are pro choice will be there or won't be there but have the chance to express they are pro choice and is they are anti choice when they won't be there. And if they won't give a hoot about it there is the american flag option.

No. You left out "pro life".

Though perhaps "anti choice" could be accepted if you had some kind of small print stating that the "choice" element refers to the fact that the defencless foetus actually, has none. There, fixed that for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

did i say that :rolleyes: dont think so.

they should use the contraceptives.

prevention is better than cure.

Well then you must think that a good sample size for a scientific study is one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement