Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March For Choice 29th Sept 2pm the Spire.

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

385972_10152084902575220_315598158_n.jpg

This is one of the events happening over the next few weeks in the run up to the Expert group reporting back to the government. As well all know YD have been active so it is important that those of us who are pro choice get out and make ourselves heard.

https://www.facebook.com/events/176807265789074/
    March for the International Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion! Gather at the Spire and march to Merrion Square.

This is a celebration of being pro-choice! A day of being pro-choice and proud, speaking up and speaking out, making our voices heard. Come and celebrate with us!

If you can't make the March there will be other actions happening over the next few weeks, also don't forget to let your TDs know you are pro choice and want the high court ruling from 20 years ago legislated for.

Will you be there? 93 votes

YES!
    0% 0 votes
    NO but I am pro choice
    17% 16 votes
    NO due to being anti choice
    63% 59 votes
    American Flags.
    19% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm working that weekend but would have gone, this country needs to admit that abortions happen, we just shift women off on a boat or plane to other countries and let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

If you can't make the March maybe you can make the fundraiser.

Awesome Comedy Fundraiser for The March for Choice.

Saturday, 15 September 2012 20:00 The Sugar Club 8 Lower Leeson Street, D 2
    A whole host of fantastic Irish comedians will be raising the roof for us in the Sugar Club Saturday 15th September. €10 at the door, with ALL proceeds going to producing flyers, posters and banners for the March for Choice. It's so important that we can publicise the march, and what better way to fund it then by laughing ourselves stupid over cheap cocktails and beer? The wonderful Abie Philbin Bowman will be MCing on the night, capacity for the gig is 350

https://www.facebook.com/events/151641771641826/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Have to work, damnit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I would go if I were in Dublin, alas I am living in a decent city (town.) :P

Also, I really like the idea of a comedy gig as a fundraiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

krudler wrote: »
    I'm working that weekend but would have gone, this country needs to admit that abortions happen, we just shift women off on a boat or plane to other countries and let them deal with it.
    we know it happens. thats not the point.

illegal drug use happens too are you all for legalising that too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will be there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

PucaMama wrote: »

Yes.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Legalising simple drug possession in Portugal drastically reduced the crime rate. Not a good example to use ;)

Legalising simple drug possession in Portugal drastically reduced the crime rate. Not a good example to use ;)

we are not in portugaland our culture for drink/drugs is not the same. not a good example either.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Yes.

:rolleyes: wonderfull.

• Advertisement

some of them yes, but thats hardly the same thing now is it? this is for women who need support and not to be shunted off to another country to go through with something as difficult as this. An Irish solution to an Irish problem.

some of them yes, but thats hardly the same thing now is it?
    but why is it ok for one not the other? both are illegal in ireland. and i hope it stays that way.

but why is it ok for one not the other? both are illegal in ireland. and i hope it stays that way.

homosexuality was illegal once here, but hey, people realise things need to change.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I would go if I were in Dublin, alas I am living in a decent city (town.) :P

Also, I really like the idea of a comedy gig as a fundraiser.

I know there are other groups ogranising around the country as soon as I have details I will post them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chimpokomon

'Anti-choice' - please. :rolleyes:

PucaMama, I wouldn't bother tbh. It seems that pro-choice is the only accepted viewpoint on this forum.

homosexuality was illegal once here, but hey, people realise things need to change.

it was. a log time ago. it was decriminalised. good. but being gay isnt a risk to your health. (would it not be a boost to your health not to have to hide being gay-imagine the stress) abortion is. all the risks.. we dont need abortion here.

If you want to start a debate on the topic of abortion start a new thread please.
    This one is about the events.

'Anti-choice' - please. :rolleyes:

PucaMama, I wouldn't bother tbh. It seems that pro-choice is the only accepted viewpoint on this forum.

cant continue the conversation anyway im off out :p

Sharrow wrote: »
    If you want to start a debate on the topic of abortion start a new thread please.
    This one is about the events.
    no, i wont be clogging up the place with threads. they are all on the same topic anyway.

it was. a log time ago. it was decriminalised. good. but being gay isnt a risk to your health. (would it not be a boost to your health not to have to hide being gay-imagine the stress) abortion is. all the risks.. we dont need abortion here.

except where we do, and instead of providing women with support we demonise them and make them go to other countries.

• Advertisement

except where we do, and instead of providing women with support we demonise them and make them go to other countries.

noone makes them go anywhere. they do it by themselves.

Ectopic pregnancies are treated by ending the pregnancy medically, by abortion.
    Ectopic pregnancies are treated this way as a matter of course in Irish hospitals.
    To state there are no abortions preformed in Ireland is untrue.

For 20 years successive Irish governments have ignored the High Court ruling on the X case.
    This March and other events are to make the government aware that there are many pro choice people in Ireland who want them to their jobs and legislate when the expert group reports back.

Having been at the rally outside Lenister House I have to say it was refreshing to be surrounded by so many pro choice people,
    I don't think I had knowingly been in a place with so many before, I am hoping that we will see even more people at the march.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I think the point being made is that a woman living in Ireland and seeking an abortion shouldn't be forced to travel to another country in order to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chimpokomon

What if you legitimately felt like abortion wasn't too far off killing a newborn? If the very idea distressed and horrified you to your very core, and it wasn't about demonising women at all? Wouldn't you do everything in your power to prevent it as much as possible?

What if you legitimately felt like abortion wasn't too far off killing a newborn? If the very idea distressed and horrified you to your very core, and it wasn't about demonising women at all? Wouldn't you do everything in your power to prevent it as much as possible?

So have you lobbied for better sex education and access to contraception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

No, I won't be in the country unfortunately, but I wholeheartedly support this. I will be there in spirit.

the law does :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭claireblossom

The very idea that women living in a first world country are denied basic reproductive healthcare distresses and horrifies me to my very core, I want to do everything in my power to see that Irish women have the right to a safe, legal abortion in their own country.

I'll hopefully be there, it'll be my first march, looking forward to it :)

I'd accept that my views shouldn't interfere with other peoples lives.

• Advertisement

Sharrow wrote: »
    So have you lobbied for better sex education and access to contraception?

two things that Youth Defence both also oppose. Dont try stop getting pregnant, and if you do, well tough, you have to go through with it no matter what the reasons or consequences. Fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement