Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Hara's Stout

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Leann Follain is exceptional IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jmadoyle

it's one of my favourite stout's, currently 5 for 10 euro in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Slattsy wrote: »
    Yeah good man, try be smart. Cop on lad.

I think it tastes like piss - my opinion.

You like it, fair enough, your opinion.

Muppet :rolleyes:

"Tastes like piss" is a phrase bandied about a lot about beer. I wonder do people who say it know what piss tastes like?

It makes sense to refer to a lager as tasting like piss given it has the same look and consistency if it's a bad beer. And I have actually had a becks in England that did taste like piss, so much so that I'm not convinced that it wasn't.

But for stout to taste like piss there would have to be something terribly wrong. It shouldn't be sour, it's a bitter taste. I haven't had Leann Follain in ages, but IIRC it was kind of a smoky aftertaste, I can see it would not be to everyones tastes, especially people who see "creamy" stouts as the only way to have it, but the more discerning stout drinkers will recognise that it's actually a top class beer. The head is somewhat annoying and unpleasant to look at, but the flavour is immense, if you are one who goes for flavour.

But overall, it just does NOT taste like piss. And to say it does is like saying that a nice T-bone steak tastes like fart. It's smoky and very bitter, not sour and tangy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Frozen_Rainbow

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Really? I've gotten beer before from Germany (I think it was a site called Beer Angel or something?) and the beer was still ridiculously cheaper. It was a few years ago though.

I'd still prefer to support Irish suppliers, but........ if the difference was that great I'd be tempted.

edit:- I've actually looked back over emails. It was beerangel, and they did charge the 19% tax at the time, which does seem to be included on that Bierzwerg site. Delivery at the time was €29.50 for a 27.45kg package but it still worked out much cheaper.

I've sent them an email anyway.

oh bad day. I found the drinkstore.ie, so genius great and ordered about 10 Stout sorts, I was happy like a child one day before Xmas, but drinkstore can only deliver to Ireland and Britain. And I thought we have a European Union for a free market. Not right this Union :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yeah good man, try be smart. Cop on lad.

I think it tastes like piss - my opinion.

You like it, fair enough, your opinion.

Muppet :rolleyes:

"Tastes like piss" is a phrase bandied about a lot about beer. I wonder do people who say it know what piss tastes like?

It makes sense to refer to a lager as tasting like piss given it has the same look and consistency if it's a bad beer. And I have actually had a becks in England that did taste like piss, so much so that I'm not convinced that it wasn't.

But for stout to taste like piss there would have to be something terribly wrong. It shouldn't be sour, it's a bitter taste. I haven't had Leann Follain in ages, but IIRC it was kind of a smoky aftertaste, I can see it would not be to everyones tastes, especially people who see "creamy" stouts as the only way to have it, but the more discerning stout drinkers will recognise that it's actually a top class beer. The head is somewhat annoying and unpleasant to look at, but the flavour is immense, if you are one who goes for flavour.

But overall, it just does NOT taste like piss. And to say it does is like saying that a nice T-bone steak tastes like fart. It's smoky and very bitter, not sour and tangy.

It tastes like piss and I wrote the book on stout.

It's the most undesirable stout I've tasted. Why would anyone enjoy watery stout?? I Guinness is refereed to as creamy because that's how it should go down.

Can anyone that drinks it admit that they've been on a proper session on it? Ie 12 pints.? I because I'd seriously doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's the most undesirable stout I've tasted. Why would anyone enjoy watery stout?? I Guinness is refereed to as creamy because that's how it should go down.

Can anyone that drinks it admit that they've been on a proper session on it? Ie 12 pints.? I because I'd seriously doubt it.

I've never drank 12 pints of anything, because I'm not a pisshead.

If I had to drink 12 pints of their I'd pick Guinnes, because it's lower in alcohol, lower in taste designed to be easy to drink.

You are arguing for guinness using reasons most people would use to argue against guinness.

You clearly wrote a **** book on stout by the way.

Guinness has only been "creamy" for about 50 years. It's not naturally creamy either, it's just filled with nitrogen.

You can nitro any beer to make it "creamy" but adding nitro instead of carbon dioxide just masks the taste and smell, so there's no way on earth anyone would want a good stout nitroed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I always find it funny when alleged "hardcore" Guinness drinkers look at you in disgust if you ask them do they drink it out of a bottle straight off the shelf!

"Oh no, nice and cool, two pours.... big creamy head.... lovely... the traditional way"

Er..... OK! :D

Heroditas wrote: »
    I always find it funny when alleged "hardcore" Guinness drinkers look at you in disgust if you ask them do they drink it out of a bottle straight off the shelf!

"Oh no, nice and cool, two pours.... big creamy head.... lovely... the traditional way"

Er..... OK! :D

It's even better if they believe the marketing genius who said the two pours is because of the Angeles rather than the over-under barrels. I have actually met a few people who believed the ad that said that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The tone of this thread has been lowered.

Leann Follain and and other such beers would be a lot like wine in some respects, made to be enjoyed, not to be hammered back with the view of getting absolutely sh1tfaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Knock off the sniping & name-calling.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Perhaps cask stout is the best of both worlds, of course cellar-man and condition/age dependent since cask is a living, breathing entity.

A good cask stout will be served with full flavour (unlike it's nitro kegged counterpart), perhaps a little sourness which I like in a good stout and if it has a sparkler it will have a thick and creamy body. Not quite as thick as a nitro infused beer but close enough. You might lose a little flavour perhaps but it's hard to say for certain unless you have a blind tasting of a sparkler poured beer and a non sparkler poured beer.

Since Guinness is not very fizzy to begin with, you will not notice the fact that the cask is fairly flat. Of course you won't find Guinness on cask any more but you will find far superior products, some of which taste like Guinness would have in your great grandfather's day.

I think personally I prefer my cask stout poured without a sparkler but that's my choice and I would not turn down a sparkler version either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I love Beamish, and it's cheap on tap from the pub I frequent. It's pretty good from the can too. No complaints there.

I also love that Black Rock stout from Waterford. Very interesting flavour. Not readily available though, plus I'd love to try it on draught.

With such great reviews of O'Hara's Leann Folláin, I will have to try it.

Buy Irish! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Dungarvan brewery, who make Black Rock stout only do bottle or cask, so to get it on tap you will need to go to a pub that serves cask.

Leann Follain is beautiful in bottle but again is much better on cask. It's a little too fizzy in the bottle I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I also love that Black Rock stout from Waterford. Very interesting flavour. Not readily available though, plus I'd love to try it on draught.

AFAIK they have never had it on draught in the traditional sense. I think they only ever do it on cask. Although, I am open for correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think they only ever do it on cask. Although, I am open for correction on this.

No, you are correct - just bottle or cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

noby wrote: »

I thought you'd know alright! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

While we're on the subject of Dungarvan stout, this punter is certainly hopeful that the seasonal Coffee and Oatmeal version will be making an appearance this winter. It was rather delicious last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

While we're on the subject of Dungarvan stout, this punter is certainly hopeful that the seasonal Coffee and Oatmeal version will be making an appearance this winter. It was rather delicious last year.

I spoke to them at the festival in the RDS last month and they said it would be back in December. Can't wait for it.

DarrenG wrote: »
    I spoke to them at the festival in the RDS last month and they said it would be back in December. Can't wait for it.

nice one!
    I was talking to the brewer in the oslo in may and he sounded a little unsure, wasn't too keen on repeating the process of making a all the espresso shots again as apparently they actually made them all one by one on a proper espresso machine, that would have taken days!!!

Twas a lovely brew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Once they're after a few pints those brewer's just moan about any hard work ;)

Coffee and Oatmeal stout should be out by late November *makes espresso*.

haha, I wonder what your job was on brew day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I still have one from last year at home.
    I might just drink it tonight in celebration!

Advertisement