Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Hara's Stout

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

With the amount of people posting how oharas has flavour and Guinness has no flavour, one wonders who exactly they are trying to convince? It's like a testament to be repeated in order to get into the craft beer appreciation society.

For the record I have had more good pints of Guinness than good pints of oharas stout. Equally I've had some bad pints of Guinness. I'm amused that people claim oharas to have "more" flavour, rather than a "better" flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ziphius wrote: »
    Have you ever tried Shandon Stout brewed by the Cork brewery Franciscan Well? I like their other beers but have never seen the stout on sale in Dublin.

I have had it, but I could not form a fair opinion of it at the time as I was after half a 22 inch pizza at the time. And was feeling quite terrible.
    Is this in Cork? I'd love to try it

You will find it in Cork only I think, the bars I know for sure it's in are the Crane Lane, Vicarstown Inn and The Bodega. But it's very likely to be in The Mutton Lane, The Oval and Sin É. All of which are owned by Mr McCabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

With the amount of people posting how oharas has flavour and Guinness has no flavour, one wonders who exactly they are trying to convince? It's like a testament to be repeated in order to get into the craft beer appreciation society.

Convince? nobody at all....

If find guinness flavourless and uninteresting, I enjoy the coffee flavours of O'Haras... ergo I find that one has more flavour than the other....

Quite frankly I couldn't give a thundering crap what you or anybody else thinks, opinions were asked for, opinion was given.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm amused that people claim oharas to have "more" flavour, rather than a "better" flavour.

It is what it is. I've never had a customer tell me that O'Hara's stout is bland, usually customers who don't like it describe it as "too strong", "too full on" or "not what I'm used to". "Better flavour" is subjective and I'm not going to tell someone that O'Hara's is better than Guinness but there's no denying that it has more flavour.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'm amused that people claim oharas to have "more" flavour, rather than a "better" flavour.

It is what it is. I've never had a customer tell me that O'Hara's stout is bland, usually customers who don't like it describe it as "too strong", "too full on" or "not what I'm used to". "Better flavour" is subjective and I'm not going to tell someone that O'Hara's is better than Guinness but there's no denying that it has more flavour.

So would you, for example, say that laphroaig has more flavour than balvenie because laphroaig has more a pronounced and singular flavour compared to the more subtle and complex flavours of the balvenie? Or that some imperial ipas have more flavour than other beers because bitter hops tend to overpower the tastebuds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So would you, for example, say that laphroaig has more flavour than balvenie because laphroaig has more a pronounced and singular flavour compared to the more subtle and complex flavours of the balvenie? Or that some imperial ipas have more flavour than other beers because bitter hops tend to overpower the tastebuds?
    We're not really discussing Whiskys though.

Or that some imperial ipas have more flavour than other beers because bitter hops tend to overpower the tastebuds?
    Is bitterness a flavour?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Terrible examples.

Guinness doesn't have more subtle and complex falvours.

it has a lot less of very similar flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Had my first bottle of Leann Follain last night, very impressed with its flavours. But I drank it from the fridge. Can't help thinking it would have been even nicer at room temperature.

What temperature do you guys drink your bottled stout?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Frozen_Rainbow

lookin´for the perfect Stout, but I was not succesfull, although it was funny to taste it ;)

lookin´for the perfect Stout, but I was not succesfull, although it was funny to taste it ;)

What's the milk stout like?

• Advertisement

Son0vagun wrote: »
    What's the milk stout like?

The Milk Stout is amazing. Had it recently and loved it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Milk Stout is amazing. Had it recently and loved it.

I want some. Where will I get it? Do The Drink Store have it in store?

I want some. Where will I get it? Do The Drink Store have it in store?

That's where I got it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Frozen_Rainbow

Milk Stout,it is a US Stout from the Left Hand Brewing . Hmm I am not good in explaining / describing beers, but to put in easy words it is a sweet Stout, very good quality, from a scala from 1 – 10 I would say a weak 7 .

description from the brewery:
    ABV: 6,00
    Malts: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roast Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
    Hops: Magnum and US Goldings

all my Stout samples I ordered at the internet shop www.bierzwerg.de the prices are ok and I think they deliver out of Germany and as I see there are some more Stout sorts. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Milk Stout,it is a US Stout from the Left Hand Brewing . Hmm I am not good in explaining / describing beers, but to put in easy words it is a sweet Stout, very good quality, from a scala from 1 – 10 I would say a weak 7 .

Mackeson Stout is one of the original milks stout very nice. Its the addition of lactose that give it the Milk component as it was original believed to be beneficial.

Any way if your ever up north you can pick it up in stubby cans in most big supermarkets

all my Stout samples I ordered at the internet shop www.bierzwerg.de the prices are ok and I think they deliver out of Germany and as I see there are some more Stout sorts. :pac:

2,19 EUR for the Milk Stout on that site compared to €3.50 on Drink Store. If they delivered to Ireland at a decent price. A large order on certain beers could be worth a go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

2,19 EUR for the Milk Stout on that site compared to €3.50 on Drink Store. If they delivered to Ireland at a decent price. A large order on certain beers could be worth a go.
    But they'd still have to charge Irish duty and VAT which could well end up eroding any savings.

Had my first bottle of Leann Follain last night, very impressed with its flavours. But I drank it from the fridge. Can't help thinking it would have been even nicer at room temperature.

What temperature do you guys drink your bottled stout?

I like to take it from a shelf and put it in the fridge for about half an hour. Seems a good temp for me.

BeerNut wrote: »
    But they'd still have to charge Irish duty and VAT which could well end up eroding any savings.

Really? I've gotten beer before from Germany (I think it was a site called Beer Angel or something?) and the beer was still ridiculously cheaper. It was a few years ago though.

I'd still prefer to support Irish suppliers, but........ if the difference was that great I'd be tempted.

edit:- I've actually looked back over emails. It was beerangel, and they did charge the 19% tax at the time, which does seem to be included on that Bierzwerg site. Delivery at the time was €29.50 for a 27.45kg package but it still worked out much cheaper.

I've sent them an email anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

they did charge the 19% tax at the time, which does seem to be included on that Bierzwerg site.
    Yeah, that's actually illegal. They're charging German VAT for goods shipped to Ireland.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, that's actually illegal. They're charging German VAT for goods shipped to Ireland.

Probably explains why they're no longer in business!

It was back in 2009 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Much of a muchness as far as I'm concerned. Slightly prefer Guinness though O'Hara's has the sweet taste of not giving money to Diageo.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tried O'Hara's Leann Follain (again) after seeing folk rave about it here. Drinking it right now...

Sweet jesus its poor quality. I cant imagine many people being able to have more than a few. The after taste is horrible, it has a slight fizziness about that stout shouldn't have, the head is terrible and unappealing, its watery too.
    A quality Guinness goes down like cream.

Certainly not for me. But each to their own :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Slattsy wrote: »
    Tried O'Hara's Leann Follain (again) after seeing folk rave about it here. Drinking it right now...

Sweet jesus its poor quality. I cant imagine many people being able to have more than a few. The after taste is horrible, it has a slight fizziness about that stout shouldn't have, the head is terrible and unappealing, its watery too.

Certainly not for me. But each to their own :D
    not to your taste-yes
    poor quality-no

my favourite stout.

Slattsy wrote: »
    ...taste...

See I've found your problem.

You are used to guinness, a stout with an actual taste is alien to you.

Don't worry, you will develop tastebuds as you get older.

Seaneh wrote: »
    See I've found your problem.

You are used to guinness, a stout with an actual taste is alien to you.

Don't worry, you will develop tastebuds as you get older.

Yeah good man, try be smart. Cop on lad.

I think it tastes like piss - my opinion.

You like it, fair enough, your opinion.

Muppet :rolleyes:

Muppet with taste at least :)

xoxox

Seaneh wrote: »
    Muppet with taste at least :)

xoxox

:D

no need for the xoxox though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I really like the O'Hara's Leann Follain but the regular O'Hara's stout is not great.

• Advertisement

I've recently acquired a taste for stout and Leann Follain is pretty damn good. Picked up a few in Dunnes earlier, opening the first one momentarily.

Advertisement