Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Today I fitted a new set of brake calipers (Campag Centaur skeleton), chain, cassette and wheel-set (Campag Khamsin) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Deep clean of my machine yesterday evening. It's always clean and gets a quick rinse after each outing, I tend to cycle close enough to beaches so always want to get rid of any sand. Something very aestheticly pleasing about a gold chain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not today, but yesterday evening, finished off the rear gear cable change on the hardtail, and did the front cable too. Eventually got the front derailleur indexed (I think). Have put off doing the middle chain ring that I have waiting to go on...

Whilst I was there, the missus has been on about going on spins on a bike, so new gear cables and indexing on the proper beater that somehow keeps missing the skip! A "Falcon" which I think was a 90's argos brand. I'd say the cables are worth more than the bike, but will get us over a hump for the summer, and will be fine for her if we're out with the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Maybe someone can help me with this. My chain was slipping so I got it replaced along with the cassette. Problem now is that it slips off the inner front chainring. Nothing to do with derailleur, think that I must have damaged the chainring by continuing to use the old, worn out chain for so long. The large chainring seems ok.

So I get a new chainring but I can't get the bolts out? I used the tool to try to hold the back of the bolt, and even got a friend to help but they seem stuck together. They just turn as one rather than separate.

Any ideas of how to get the bolts out? I assume that in some way the bolts and/or chainrings will need to be wrecked but how to go about it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Anyone point me in the right direction for someone to put a cassette on a new set of wheels and to install the carbon specific bake pads and set them up in the right position around Dublin 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Plastik

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Maybe someone can help me with this. My chain was slipping so I got it replaced along with the cassette. Problem now is that it slips off the inner front chainring. Nothing to do with derailleur, think that I must have damaged the chainring by continuing to use the old, worn out chain for so long. The large chainring seems ok.

So I get a new chainring but I can't get the bolts out? I used the tool to try to hold the back of the bolt, and even got a friend to help but they seem stuck together. They just turn as one rather than separate.

Any ideas of how to get the bolts out? I assume that in some way the bolts and/or chainrings will need to be wrecked but how to go about it?

Thanks

Yes, worn out chainring due to using the chain for too long.

For the chainring bolts it depends on the design. Some require being held from the rear while opened from the front with either an allen key or hex head.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Plastik wrote: »
    Yes, worn out chainring due to using the chain for too long.

For the chainring bolts it depends on the design. Some require being held from the rear while opened from the front with either an allen key or hex head.

You may have to drill out the bolts, be patient if you do, one false move and you can damage chainrings - I had to do this with a dura ace crankset I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Anyone point me in the right direction for someone to put a cassette on a new set of wheels and to install the carbon specific bake pads and set them up in the right position around Dublin 12

These are both really very straight forward jobs that you could probably do in less then an hour. The tools will cost you about €20 and there are lots of really good video guides on YouTube. They are jobs that need doing maybe once a year (depending on milage) so it would be worth while learning.

If not, Cycle Superstore on the Greenhills Road would be close enough to you. I don't know the area so can't suggest anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

You tube is your friend tbh.

But, Clondalkin based and nice to deal with...

https://www.facebook.com/Mobile-bicycle-sales-and-service-277274459006575/

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

You tube is your friend tbh.

But, Clondalkin based and nice to deal with...

https://www.facebook.com/Mobile-bicycle-sales-and-service-277274459006575/

Used this guy today. An absolute gentleman to deal with. Cheers for putting me onto him.

http://i.imgur.com/IwB9eus.jpg

A pic of the new wheel upgrade :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fitted a new 100mm stem on my F5. Had been using a 90mm stem for the last few years but recently have been finding myself resting the balls of my hand in the bar tops while climbing as I was too upright so figured I'd try 100mm for a while to see how i fair out. I had a 90mm Deda Zero2 stem and changed it for a Zero100 which is a whole lot chunkier than the Zero2.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Going "Elite".

sU7pT81.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Well what a job getting this bugger out :eek:

vjUZB0HZjSPiOaK7E62wC9STPzlPv-oBa8vN3kBlROiYj_XvMdtekAohGZoWpjHlPdfujzkT39lQXeCLTwPAuVHbpX2QudU-w28_X_abhv9Io12HVbu7OhH1GEg6d5JFHukTNjktTzY-7WCg8HQ9UzGO8bHUbLj9ImjhsDx_Qszbb2_kvYpXsTPswhAlqn08bRIuDkgyetA3SU32pEC8YdvoU4dz5kynjKDAUdxdOtZ8-8lfXOuobhaiZPYzyTJtDYgaILpFA55D1XAywVeu0k8lSys_Dxz5ENyRadFTCAPoLO_n1QsMxanvQfuOTmivOLWHb9EZeDYECQSovfzoKK9Y2aR9EPMP7XhszVDFvygj3NZk1ZH6ufw5JRfXzCNhqLX2C-mMsUKXJD0aqU50C9TeFlZRc3zaB4uOpUO0uzaX4sSUPTLDQs3UHY0MFVkCr7J3jNpZ_0cozYaVFaH1hVxpNuRjVrqJa5lSTc6qppytxCjZPUa51wSODwIFT4aijLiNudLtH7MNbTF-KnHayi35AJxGga4q1s_-AL8JZP29Ij_e2ur7GiHviZK44dhqUz1AnYg5W_yVva3JIJL2c3bgyD366TRmLe6LCq07RSTYSTvgveb5GN_Id8dtVOJ1ycsTHFEsy56AvqAkpShtf6PCGtFYEFiW3YRVP3ECh2T9Qi4=w1135-h638-no

Following on from the above.

Trying to keep it cheap and cheerful as it was free from a fellow boardsie.

Replaced headset bearings and BB bearings - €12

Bar tape - €6

Brake - Free (old upgrade)

Brake lever - Gold finger €15 on order

paint

chemical clean and blast €30 (could have colour for €80 all in - next time)

rattle can primer/colour/clear €32

Trued wheels (rear will be replaced)

Chain - €6 on order

It started like as a Schroder http://adventurecycle.net/about/schroder-cykler-pg297.htm and ,ust have been loved at some point Dura Ace 7400 BB and headset.

A few more bits and she'll be out the door to a new home :)

KBsbNpyDKYWuqpZmnY4jhatH51ysKDJLqW27rvb42y2wL-JYshlLQi0xk2svEdxLbyHdLCOCaueg3PGf8oE3T_1vfenFmywvzREKjid_EqfKV8cKOtkBKnErFnjRseolTIzNEfYXJZpNfz-8vV5brUo3PBwHiSyuBRhinACTuNdlDRUTpc6QH8LN119fQLJ8ouQRDNimHDHWM0Bpi7SzKFa8MeuwXehxY_i2VDllO-6T6WKzavO9oNw7GNIcUEC3f_0hIdGjfM9FuWwpy2bVmzEsDBhiYaSb6X8H7NsN700nxlCHscr4XxXUg5aZpQNZJ_ukQZ4-bZSIIhDnboZm-gcd7csIEk4S-U5L5MmesE8TvEaPiDRW51YVutj8e30XGcKLcC-7slNg7Pth40MlemTfmagcMto0DB0NF471RU_I3jKs40Z68JCw2vITABsYFbRHhUvGlCKWT9m4HhfknNHGakICrB7wTg66OBlEt1m5IrXaQ58xn5q4PzIPUmkIlqD4vGNMRkT1FXY5gZUJtCae3mJJZ1k6-Ogz9yPMI8rFq1DHv-b5ZA9IqR3FDl_fdXfjd-LbppvlRT8Vkw8wsQLtNGYF7xb7xIBQaRw5l2Xgq1bPMU77qEjGj0uwVyJQKyCX2QGY8qfQOk-KIGdbkPZKf-dMlxm2aA7XOH5CC9dwb-0=w964-h542-no

wR_KmWDCPnvZkZBEmk5eDoW8IIzk6ltOSQcrcDJtokV_M6YMe_Yl5wdapobSaf3_XZifo3oZBtY-pLfN7yDpwffNWRJvqYclSSQJqgDHBVQrv1_0YLZgNbbWX5yqcmQgfAAG7JAIk2eFOhpT07_nrIVTx5Kwq7OpRA4HORQe5SC1u7yyOh2ggXbltXz6MboeKvLiB3yxSOYAwjaPYWJv1KE9oAbD8zrcq1NzJHhkt_ppVRW4NVd69yXHVV3OM463JMkoHSMNLZIOOKxvBuEcbdjgM2zf41wTE3Ons8lQ6J-GgSJ9AT2Lq4Yuxi8FLMSb1xmDh9A_ZX81uCNaHlsPsMLxcgM5MMLGeEDRsQ1lCL1doU3aCe620RAlU1w9_UuTWjp-HJnvG-f05CINRlOYs9vDOoYINFJs2TXkKx8H_QhGhNUC3U4AlTlRHrMjRV9ZgZCVPpwpL_RSKiQM75yzsomjM8MUlNr5sxNnpR_rlWB6D8miRA4_hA3qVy2vWarGuaS9nK5ZHWKPn0SEQjouiSTej35d3_6TQMwMZfkrFaulxIga_A7GS-Bi5uRrX7qloeGeH10BDEtiL8JErzfSst2fRv0TEjPQtRUe0VseGPdjZw1y9dL-x7rewPBCrq0i3A5JTA_4IiofCbzzlMhFSOPL6zDspBZRP4H0m--8CBVoSTY=w957-h638-no

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unfortunately, the images aren't showing.

unfortunately, the images aren't showing.

@me?

I can see them. Using Google photos now it must be a privacy thing I'll try change them. Goddamn you photobucket!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

installed my Suaoki Wireless Computer (on back wheel for turbo if needed), works well, but still trying to get the cadence sensor to work

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    @me?

I can see them. Using Google photos now it must be a privacy thing I'll try change them. Goddamn you photobucket!!
    yep - they're showing now, though.

why are all old frames massive?

why are all old frame massive?

Tell me about it. This one is huge and unfortunately one I'll never ride just aswell the bro is 6'5"

The other one I have in the works is tiny but I'm determined to make it fit :D

• Advertisement

i know someone who's 6'10". would be funny to see him walk into a bike shop and ask to try out a bike.

i know someone who's 6'10". would be funny to see him walk into a bike shop and ask to try out a bike.

mini-circus-clown-bike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Today I finally began rubbing down my old Boardman frame. A lot of the paint was flaking off so I made a start rubbing it down. Took pictures but won't post anything until I have a finished bike - so a real possibility of pictures never appearing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I replaced 2300 shifters with a set of claris 2400 that I found cheap on adverts, not a particular upgrade I spose but I have a thing for the dual control levers!
    First time doing any work on a bike in my life apart from fitting some spd pedals and raising the saddle. Took a solid 2 hours which is an hour longer than it shouldve to do 4 cables and new housing but delighted it's finally done. Threading the brake cables through the shifters was an absolute dose :/

I also got stuck setting up my front mech because I have the high limit screw all the way in without realising... Rookie error!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

B&M iQ-x & SP pv8 hub dynamo fitted to winter commuter. New saddle and 16t rear sprocket.

vpUzxahl.jpg

Not my bike but a buddy had his bike serviced during the week and had the chain replaced as part of the service. Chain clearly way too short and the indexing on the rear was so far out that it didn't drop onto the smallest cog and was grumbling on the second to smallest. Fixed the indexing and he has a chain ordered. When will these big bike shops realise it's the small jobs that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

New chain, inner and outer cables and bar tape. Took a pleasant couple of hours putting them on yesterday. Felt like I was riding a new bike today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Today I finally began rubbing down my old Boardman frame. A lot of the paint was flaking off so I made a start rubbing it down. Took pictures but won't post anything until I have a finished bike - so a real possibility of pictures never appearing...

I'm about to restore an old frame I have and was looking at all the different options. I'm not too keen on using Nitromors etc. Did you sand down the whole frame? If so, what grades paper did you use?

Cheers :)

I had stripped my bike to a bare frame last week. Reassembled today, no new bits just a scrub of everything. Chain not showing any signs of wear but I did remove it so I could clean it and the frame properly. Bike looks brand new again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I'm about to restore an old frame I have and was looking at all the different options. I'm not too keen on using Nitromors etc. Did you sand down the whole frame? If so, what grades paper did you use?

Cheers :)

Some of the paint was flaking off so I used a flapper wheel in an electric drill. I got a pack of wet and dry 240 to 600 grit (I think) and haven't fully took the frame to all bare metal. I want to give it a couple of coats of primer and see how it looks after sanding each time. If its smooth enough I'll go for the colour coats, but if not I'll fully strip it using paint stripper that I'll get from work and alocrom the bare metal

Advertisement