Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

New 25mm Conti's gp4000s front and back on my new Zondas :) ... only pumped to 105 psi but they do look rather big! :eek:

384627.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Got a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires for the hybrid from the most unhelpful shop I've ever dealt with (well maybe Cyclogic on the quays was worse).

Since I'd never used this particular tyre before I had a few questions to ask, no help. So I broke it down to a simple ''Whats the difference between a 28 and a 32 in this tyre?" (I think we all know the answer is speed/comfort/weight).. The answer "four mm" ~ lol.

Anyway, they won't be getting my custom again ~ the tyre, I went with the 32 and found them fast and comfortable on the way home.

Got a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires for the hybrid from the most unhelpful shop I've ever dealt with (well maybe Cyclogic on the quays was worse).

Since I'd never used this particular tyre before I had a few questions to ask, no help. So I broke it down to a simple ''Whats the difference between a 28 and a 32 in this tyre?" (I think we all know the answer is speed/comfort/weight).. The answer "four mm" ~ lol.

Anyway, they won't be getting my custom again ~ the tyre, I went with the 32 and found them fast and comfortable on the way home.

If you already knew the answer, why ask? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You asked a specific question which they answered. You didn't ask what the difference was in terms of comfort or speed etc and besides the answer to that depends on a number of factors such as wheel width, tyre pressure, tube size and type, you, your bike etc etc and even knowing all those things there is no real correct answer.

They probably thought you were equally as daft asking that question when the answer is obvious.

jon1981 wrote: »
    If you already knew the answer, why ask? :confused:

Oh I asked a few relevant questions regarding tyres, I included the bit about the 4mm because I thought it was a ridiculous answer, and kinda funny too.

It's times like this I miss the Bike Hub in Howth.

Tyres were nice to ride though :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cleaning in progress. One of these days I'll tackle the weeds :D

Cleaning.jpg

Those Aldi/Lidl bike stands are a great piece of kit.

Those Aldi/Lidl bike stands are a great piece of kit.

Agreed. Unbelievable value for money.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Agreed. Unbelievable value for money.

I don't have a garage to in which to work on my bikes, and I'd work on both bikes quite a lot.

I've left my stand out over the last two winters and there's not a bit of rust on it.

Defo a recommended buy.

Although I'm not sure about you, but I put a piece of kitchen towel around my top tube before clamping it to avoid scratching the paint work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I need to go into orbit to view some of the recent images. Top tip: http://www.picresize.com/

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    I need to go into orbit to view some of the recent images. Top tip: http://www.picresize.com/

Drives me insane too.

Thanks for the site, I'll include it in the Martial Arts forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

crosstownk wrote:
    Cleaning in progress. One of these days I'll tackle the weeds

What is the little blue chain catcher where the cassette would be? Looks handy.

Oh I asked a few relevant questions regarding tyres, I included the bit about the 4mm because I thought it was a ridiculous answer, and kinda funny too.

It's times like this I miss the Bike Hub in Howth.

Tyres were nice to ride though :cool:

I had them on my old hybrid commuter, bullet proof tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-chain-keeper/

I have one too, very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Are my pics huge? They all come up the same size on mobile. If it's mine I'll edit later from laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Are my pics huge? They all come up the same size on mobile. If it's mine I'll edit later from laptop

They are MAHOOSIVE!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Best wax to use on a bike folks? Have a wbite frame which is a mare to keep looking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They are MAHOOSIVE!

Bugger. Sorry, like I said they all come out the same size on mobile

It's a handy gadget. It saves the chain rubbing on the chain stay and makes it easier to clean.
    Alanbt wrote: »

That's the one. Well worth the few quid.
    I don't have a garage to in which to work on my bikes, and I'd work on both bikes quite a lot.

I've left my stand out over the last two winters and there's not a bit of rust on it.

Defo a recommended buy.

Although I'm not sure about you, but I put a piece of kitchen towel around my top tube before clamping it to avoid scratching the paint work.

I've no garage either - I had it demolished years ago for a kitchen extension and a kids playroom but I do have a shed where the bike stand is stored.

I clamp the bike stand to the seat post that is less likely to mark than the frame. I suppose that depends on how much seat post you have. I'm lanky and skinny so I have the best part of 20cm of seat post available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

20160511_215557.jpg

Wifenbike 1

I Rechristen thee as the Scott Swordsman ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Today I finally got around to adjusting the rear brake on my commuter. There was far too much slack and the bare cable slapped the frame with every bump and drove me nuts. After riding to work this evening, it's clear I now have to adjust the front one as there's far too much pull on that lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I *think* I may have done the bicycle equivalent of turning it off and on again.

Clicking rear derailleur slash chain. Couldn't see anything on close inspection, swapped different wheel, nothing.

Back to original wheel, clicking.

Right so, bearings so off with cassette, clean everything down, nothing obvious, right so back together to diagnose further and nada, nothing, all sweet changes.

Commute tomorrow will be interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Saturday I took the crud mudguards off my commuter as the little brush bits have worn away to nothing and the rattling was driving me mad. Yesterday and today it hasn't stopped raining and I've been soaked 3 times now. Also now the rattling mudguard noise is gone, I can hear the worn headset bearings clicking.
    Must remember to get new tie-wraps from work tonight to re-attach the mudguards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Idleater wrote: »
    I *think* I may have done the bicycle equivalent of turning it off and on again.

: : :

Commute tomorrow will be interesting....

So, everything ticketyboo this morning.

Will investigate further, my early morning fresh air commute hypothesis is that the SRAM 1090 cassette being a solid block (apart from the 12 and 11) was sufficiently loose to flex marginally.
    This would explain the greatest noise in the 13, and or under power, no noise in 12 or 11 or 21 or 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I snapped my RD cable last weekend so I decided I'd replace it myself. Never did it before but it couldn't be that hard? Watched a YouTube video the other day and it all made sense.
    The new cable arrived yesterday along with brake blocks and some lizard skins bar tape because I figured I may as well give my baby a proper bit of TLC while I was at it.
    Had a few beers lastnight and got brave, sure the kids are in bed so no one will be annoying me....what could possibly go wrong trying to get cables through internal routing after a few bevvys?
    Well actually, nothing. Got the broken cable end out of the shifter, new one in, tied some thread to the old one and pulled it through the frame and used that to pull the new one through. Sweet as a nut. That's the hard part done, I'll replace the front derailleur cable in the morning.

Set to it bright and early this morning, same procedure with the thread and.... Bother.
    The polymer coating on the cable was frayed and when I tried to pull it back through the holes in the frame, the coating came off and blocked them.
    Frayed coating
    2hozhxv.jpg
    The holes are tiny, just wide enough for the cable.
    rkqa7a.jpg
    vo1k5c.jpg

I tried poking it through with the cable but it just jammed tighter. Then I tried with a paper clip, a hair clip and even a syringe but nothing shifted it. The wires just kept bending. I was looking for a 2mm drill bit to get it out, terror rising because I have a severe aversion to putting holes in a carbon frame when I came across a large paper clip and after a few hard shoves eventually unblocked.
    Selection of now essential bike tools
    n1ynih.jpg

After that drama I replaced the brakes, they were just a tad worn ;)
    34xfhie.jpg

And put on the new bar tape, quite happy with this for a first attempt
    2nrq9h3.jpg

And finally gave her a rub down and lubed the chain.
    Roll on tomorrow morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

20160715_230827.jpgl

From 11-32 to 12-27

Je ne regret rien!*

*I do not speak for my knees

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

@daroxtar you put the bar tape on backwards. You're supposed to start at the ends and work into the middle. The way you have it, it'll stretch and unravel the first time you ride it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

TychoCaine wrote: »
    @daroxtar you put the bar tape on backwards. You're supposed to start at the ends and work into the middle. The way you have it, it'll stretch and unravel the first time you ride it.

I just copied the way the original tape was installed, that was on with no problems since I bought the bike 2 years ago. The edge was cut diagonally back about 10 cm and first turn is a complete overlap of that to trap the end.
    I'll bring some electrical tape in my jersey just in case though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

There was a bit of rattling in the back wheel when I was out yesterday, so today
    I completely dismantled the whole thing, cleaned, greased and put the bike back together. Had a father Ted moment about halfway through, but all seems okay!

Turned out the bearings were a bit loose in the back wheel,it was like the locknut cane loose, didn't think that could happen?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Lizard Skin DSP bar tape, 3.2mm.
    Durable Soft Polymer.
    Crickey......holy mackerel. It's nice. :-D

About €30 or so. Not cheap.

Advertisement