Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiring quotes needed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

'If you fall off that wall and break your two legs...don't come running to me for sympathy!'

Me Ma. :)

"A girl should be two things: who and what she wants."

- Coco Chanel

"Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else."

- Judy Garland

"Think wrongly, if you please, but in all cases think for yourself."

- Doris Lessing

"Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything good in the world."

- Helen Keller

"I attribute my success to this - I never gave or took any excuse."

- Florence Nightingale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

A few from Freya Stark (explorer and early travel writer)

“Love of learning is a pleasant and universal bond, since it deals with what one is and not what one has.”

“There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do”

Probably not appropriate to school thing but nice quote

“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Did they makers of the journals ever get back to you? I'd be interested in what they said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

We’re all in the same game, just different levels. Dealing with the same hell. Just different devils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

For a woman to get half as much credit as a man, she has to work twice as hard, and be twice as smart. Fortunately, that isn't difficult.

Charlotte Whitton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

"Cherish your visions for they are the children of your soul."
    -Line from the Aries horoscope in Friday's Evening Herald. I thought it was pretty deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

"Its choice not chance that determines your destiny".

Jean Nidetch ....founder of Weight Watchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭a posse ad esse

“Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”

-Lao Tzu, Chinese philosopher

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭kiva989

"Each has his past shut in him like the leaves of a book known to him by heart and his friends can only read the title"
    Virginia Woolf (writer)

"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well"
    Diane Ackerman (Poet)

"Four be the things I'd have been better without: Love, curiosity, freckles and doubt."
    Dorothy Parker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

This address by JK Rowling is brilliant & worth a look if you haven't seen it. You could practically carve up the transcript as a list of quotes, but this one stands out for me:
    JK Rowling wrote:
    Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all — in which case, you fail by default.

I'd say that if you're genuinely approaching the publishers though, I'd stick to quotes from women that you can be equally inspirational to boys & girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye. - Helen Keller

The best & most beautiful things in life cannot be seen, not touched, but are felt in the heart. Helen Keller

When you're a beautiful person on the inside, there is nothing in the world that can change that about you. -Sasha Azevedo

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. -Audrey Hepburn

These one's are anonymous one's i've took note of:

Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up

Don't be what people want you to be. Be yourself and find someone who truly loves you for what and who you are.

As long as you can laugh at yourself you will never cease to be amused.

No one has the right to judge you. They might have heard your stories, but they didn't feel what you were going through.

Advertisement