Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiring quotes needed.

Options
  • 29-08-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

Start of the new year and with it comes the two homework journals.These days they are very swish compared to what I had secondary school. The school my brats attend have opted for the 4Schools.ie’s student journal.
    Which their site http://www.4schools.ie/student-journal states
    The 4Schools.ie’s student journal is a learning focused journal which can be tailored to reflect the unique culture and ethos of your school.

Our standard A5 student journal includes:

A choice of hardback or spiral binding
    A choice of five attractive full colour cover designs with your school name and crest overprinted in black
    Either 8 or 16 pages of your customised content printed in one colour
    A choice of two learning modules
    A full colour weekly diary featuring facts, quotes and think-links
    16 pages of notes for communication between parent/guardian and school.

It really is a kick ass resource, with inserts on the school rules, parental contact sheet, log tables, maps, info about college courses, all the school polices laid out in it so that they are easily accessible by parent and students. The homework journal which a parent has to sign off once a week is a good way of keeping track for parents, teachers and students. Just above the space for a note from a teacher or parent and the sign off it as an inspirational quotation.

I was flicking through them with my daughter, her first thought was cool and then we noticed a pattern.
    Can you spot it?

Thomas Edison, Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Fredrick Nietzsche, Henry Ford,
    Mathatma Gandhi, Winston Churchill, Ralp Waldo Emerson, Aristotle, Plato,
    Solon, Ernest Hemingway, F Scott Fitzgerald, William Shakespear, Edwin H Cahplin,
    Oliver Goldsmith, Jonathon Swift, Henry B Adams, Jermy Collier, Napoleon Bonapart,
    Arthur C Clarke, Alber Einstein, Aristotle Onassis, Brian Tracy, Brack Obama,
    Franklin D Roosevelt, Napoleon Hill, Alber Camus, Lawrence Peter, Francis Bacon,
    French Proverb.

She spotted it before I did. There are 41 term weeks so that is 41 quotes and 1 of them is attributed to a french proverb but the remaining 40 are all men. They range from Plato to Obama, over 2,300 years and not one woman included.

So yes I will be sending a note to the school and to the provider of the journals but we decided we would write in quotations by women along side the quotations by men, I might also send them to the school and provider.

So we are asking for help in compiling a list of suitable quotations, we have a few already, but we need more.

Quotations:

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
    Margaret Mead

“Memories of our lives, of our works and our deeds will continue in others.”
    Rosa Parks

“A lot of people are waiting for Martin Luther King or Mahatma Gandhi to come back – but they are gone.
    We are it. It is up to us. It is up to you.”
    Marian Wright Edelman

“Between saying and doing, many a pair of shoes is worn out.”
    Iris Murdoch

So please share with us your favorite inspiring quotes by women.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

There's a few here! Sharrow! :) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing that you will make one"
    -Ellen Hubbard

"One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius"
    -Simone de Beauvoir

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

"Women are like tea-bags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."
    -Maya Angelou

"If you think you are too small to make a difference , you've obviously never been in bed with a mosquito!"
    -Michelle Walker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
    Eleanor Roosevelt.

I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning to sail my ship.
    Louisa May Alcott.

No one ever died from sleeping in an unmade bed.
    Erma Bombeck.

As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world.
    Virginia Woolf.

Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got.
    Janis Joplin.

I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.
    Diane Ackerman.

I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.

A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up.
    Mae West.

A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.
    Coco Chanel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

I'm surprised, I would have thought Eleanor Roosevelt would have been in that book, she has so many that have motivated me over the years. Anyway here's an unexpected lady not known for her quotes but I like it ;)

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

"Happiness can be found in even the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - JK Rowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

Forget about the fast lane. If you really want to fly, just harness your power to your passion. -Oprah.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. - Ingrid Bergman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Douglas Adams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe you missread the opening post Augmerson, but the whole point of the thread is that we're looking for quotes from women. Now I recall I've seen a pic of the late lamented Douglas in drag, but a lady he was not. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

“Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win.”

Bernadette Devlin. Upon becoming the youngest elected member of the British house of Commons.

“The vote means nothing to women. We should be armed.”

Edna O'Brien, writer.

“The English may batter us to pieces, but they will never succeed in breaking our spirit.”

Maud Gonne, actress and heartbreaker!

“What pisses me off is when I've got seven or eight record company fat pig men sitting there telling me what to wear.”

Sinead O'Connor. Singer, songwriter and emmmm priest?

“I was elected by the women of Ireland, who instead of rocking the cradle, rocked the system.”

“In a society where the rights and potential of women are constrained, no man can be truly free. He may have power, but he will not have freedom.”

Mary Robinson. Humanitarian and former president.

"Travelling - I was all my life at it. I'd still rather be travelling around. I'm always thinking of it. It was a better and a nicer time on the road - more freedom along the roads. We'd be selling tinware, saucepans, cans - country people knew us well at those times and were very nice."

"Nan" McDonagh. Irish traveller(gypsy).

"There is, for whatever reason, an international tendency to be well-disposed towards Ireland - a tendency that elevates us beyond our actual standing on the world stage."

Ivana Bacik. Lawyer, barrister, senator, politician and a bit of a bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.

Both Marie Curie (Also addresses the lack of scientists on that list and absolutely deserves to be there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Maya Angelou

It is only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on Earth and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it were the only one we had.

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

Katharine Hepburn

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.

Sally Berger

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Gloria Steinem

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.

Alice Walker

I also think it is important for women to help one another. I have a saying: There is a special place in hell for women who don't.

Madeleine Albright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

It's insane that over 2,300 years & they couldn't include one female quote.

As a proud husband & father the three girls, complete with a mother, mother in law, sister & sister in law, I can testify that there must be. You chicks NEVER shut up...

;)

Here's my contribution: "life is a journey, the people you meet along they way are sometimes plesent diversions, sometimes bumps in the road, but they're all part of the journey".

Said to my then new girlfriend by my mother, repeated by my new wife on our wedding day (& accredited to mom)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

paperclip2 wrote: »
    "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt
    I hope I'm not going against any rules. I think most of the quotes here are great, but this one made me really sad.

If it specifically refers to bitching or gossiping about others, then she had a point. Otherwise, people generally discuss what they care about and I would somewhat hope that this includes other people. It's therefore a little disheartening to read about people thinking that this makes a person "small-minded".

I know quote analysis isn't what the thread's for, and I may be totally overthinking this. It may specifically refer to gossip, but it just seems a little sad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I hope I'm not going against any rules. I think most of the quotes here are great, but this one made me really sad.

If it specifically refers to bitching or gossiping about others, then she had a point. Otherwise, people generally discuss what they care about and I would somewhat hope that this includes other people. It's therefore a little disheartening to read about people thinking that this makes a person "small-minded".

I know quote analysis isn't what the thread's for, and I may be totally overthinking this. It may specifically refer to gossip, but it just seems a little sad to me.

Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas.

This is another Marie Curie quote along the same lines and there is no doubt in my mind that they both relate to bitching and gossiping. A pertinent example to boards would be giving out about people on the dole compared to discussing the policies of the department of social protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man, if you want anything done, ask a woman -Margaret Thatcher

I think its pretty obvious it refers to idle gossip about others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

“Well-behaved women seldom make history,” Laura Thatcher Ulrich..always struck a chord with me, not sure if it would be suitable for inclusion in a 2nd Level school journal though!!

My daughter has one of these super dooper journals which thus far I have only glanced at, reading glasses at the ready today at 4pm!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Pandora2 wrote: »
    “Well-behaved women seldom make history,” Laura Thatcher Ulrich..always struck a chord with me, not sure if it would be suitable for inclusion in a 2nd Level school journal though!!

Definitely should. Kids should be encouraged to assess (and challenge) authority rather than just blindly follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Pandora2 wrote: »

My daughter has one of these super dooper journals which thus far I have only glanced at, reading glasses at the ready today at 4pm!!;)

Not all of them have the quotes in the homework diary section.
    But here's a pic of the ones we have.

7896939510_28af864559_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Definitely should. Kids should be encouraged to assess (and challenge) authority rather than just blindly follow...

I was never a drone myself!! Just think the schools might have reservations!! I always do my best work when I'm told (most especially by a man)....You'll never manage that!!

Challenge accepted!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.

Helen Keller

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭starfish90

"Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave".

"The power to question is the basis of all human progress".

Both from Indira Gandhi

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

"Dont make someone a priority if they only make you an option"

I can't remember her name, but I believe she was a black Journalist. Wiki answers also attributes this to Mark Twain however... I'll post her name if I can find it.

“You are the storyteller of your own life, and you can create your own legend, or not.”

- Isabel Allende

"It is easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn't."

- Martina Navratilova

"Be yourself. The world worships the original."

- Ingrid Bergman

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."

- Dolly Parton

"Do not tell secrets to those whose faith and silence you have not already tested."

- Queen Elizabeth I

In honour of the Paralympics:

“A loser isn’t the person that gets involved and comes last, but the person who doesn’t get involved in the first place”

Shelia Pistorius

(Oscars ma :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.

Mother Teresa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Some great quotes in this thread but I'd have some serious problems with that one:

It implies that materialism is a good thing, that appearance is more important than substance and that utterly subservient fictional characters are good role models.

And to add one of my own that seems very suited to a school environment:

“Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.”

- Hillary Clinton (from Living History)

Advertisement