Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options
24567212

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2


    fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    12*12,50 = e150, cost of getting a freeview dish+box+installation will probably be same or higher

    Yes because remember you'll keep the dish and box after the year and be able to get all the freeview channels using the sky equipment forever....so i'd say it's a cheaper option, plus you've the bonus of the extra channels for the year, and don't need to pay it all at once! Only negative is you won't get HD channels for free which you'd get with freeview.

    (Have freesat myself and very happy with it, least you get HD channels for free anyway!)


  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tinalouise


    BullBauld wrote: »
    There was an account in my house in someone elses name which was cancelled a few months back. The dish & Sky+HD box are still there.

    What will happen when engineer arrives and this equipment still there. Will he install new box or just leave whats there in place?

    Also the 37:50 for no phoneline was paid for the previous account. I presume it would have to be paid again seeing as its a new account?
    Thanks.

    Would like to know about this myself, have the box and the dish but what would happen when the engineer arrives and sees it there?
    Thanks op for sharing :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty


    The letter I got was for half price movies and sports for 6 months. Might be interested in half price sports for 6 months(Heineken cup) but not both. I may have to claim to be leaving them for UPC when the HC starts and they might offer me a better deal. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    Tinalouise wrote: »
    Would like to know about this myself, have the box and the dish but what would happen when the engineer arrives and sees it there?
    Thanks op for sharing :)

    Thatll be no hassle. Itll just save the engineer some time.

    Just to be clear to everyone. If you have no active phoneline in house theres a once off 37.50 charge.

    Usually a sky box needs to "call home" to complete setup but as theres no phoneline they have to do this manually. Sneaky charge i know but years back this was something like 70 quid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    Beer Baron wrote: »
    The letter I got was for half price movies and sports for 6 months. Might be interested in half price sports for 6 months(Heineken cup) but not both. I may have to claim to be leaving them for UPC when the HC starts and they might offer me a better deal. :D

    Do cancel and get partner to call in and get offer for 12 months as a new customer.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar


    Yes because remember you'll keep the dish and box after the year and be able to get all the freeview channels using the sky equipment forever....so i'd say it's a cheaper option, plus you've the bonus of the extra channels for the year, and don't need to pay it all at once! Only negative is you won't get HD channels for free which you'd get with freeview.

    (Have freesat myself and very happy with it, least you get HD channels for free anyway!)

    Can you confirm that after the 12 months contract ends, we'll be still able to watch irish freesat channels and other free channels?

    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    Amouar wrote: »
    Can you confirm that after the 12 months contract ends, we'll be still able to watch irish freesat channels and other free channels?

    Thanks

    Yes 100%. My parents do that. Stations are kind of all over the place though. Maybe if you plug in a cheap freesat box to sky dish itll be a lot more organised if your fussy.

    If you have contacts in the UK you can buy a Sky freeview card. £20 for 5 years. A lot more stations.


  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER


    Amouar wrote: »
    Can you confirm that after the 12 months contract ends, we'll be still able to watch irish freesat channels and other free channels?

    Thanks


    Afaik if you go the free view route after 12 months you will lose the Irish channels.
    Sky have those encrypted. You will only get the UK freeview channels


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2


    Afaik if you go the free view route after 12 months you will lose the Irish channels.
    Sky have those encrypted. You will only get the UK freeview channels

    yeah forgot to mention that.... RTE can't afford to broadcast on freeview satellite as their potential viewers would increase by over 1000% so the cost of getting programs would sky rocket. Hence they can't broadcast on astra satellites... they have a saorsat or something but your sky box won't pick that up as far as I know.

    So you will have to get RTE stations through saorview compatible equipment once your year is up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    Afaik if you go the free view route after 12 months you will lose the Irish channels.
    Sky have those encrypted. You will only get the UK freeview channels

    Yes sorry i am mistaken. My parents dont watch Rte and that. Think they can tune it in on rabbit ears but dont bother.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209


    Media999 wrote: »
    Yes sorry i am mistaken. My parents dont watch Rte and that. Think they can tune it in on rabbit ears but dont bother.

    They wont work after October 24th 2012 as the old signal been turned off
    http://www.digitalswitch.ie/


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots


    I'm thinking about getting this deal but would need a few more rooms wired up for fta boxes. What would be the best way to go about that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    TheTechGuy wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting this deal but would need a few more rooms wired up for fta boxes. What would be the best way to go about that?

    1 sky plus how many FTA?

    Fairly certain you just connect one FTA box to the coaxil output of another FTA box then onto another FTA box.

    You probably need twin LNB aswell but someone else can confirm this.

    OR

    maybe one of those splitters will work .

    2009-09-04_134605_coaxsplitter.jpg


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots


    Media999 wrote: »
    1 sky plus how many FTA?

    Fairly certain you just connect one FTA box to the coaxil output of another FTA box then onto another FTA box.

    You probably need twin LNB aswell but someone else can confirm this.

    OR

    maybe one of those splitters will work .

    The setup would be the 1 sky+ box and 2 fta boxes. I'd like a separate cable going from the dish to each box for tidiness sake. That would require a quad lnb. My question really is, as its not a standard install will the sky installer do this for me or would i need to get an independent installer out to do it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger


    Media999 wrote: »
    Yes sorry i am mistaken. My parents dont watch Rte and that. Think they can tune it in on rabbit ears but dont bother.
    vickers209 wrote: »
    They wont work after October 24th 2012 as the old signal been turned off
    http://www.digitalswitch.ie/

    Just to clarify. Rabbit ears will work after 24th October, if you have the right TV or get a Saorview box.

    I'm picking up the new broadcast with rabbit ears right now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal


    Anyway someone who hasn't been a previous customer can avail of this offer?

    Did they ask you for a previous account number or was there any reference to it on the letter?


  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82


    Fieldog wrote: »
    Anyway someone who hasn't been a previous customer can avail of this offer?

    Did they ask you for a previous account number or was there any reference to it on the letter?


    I was just asked for the offer line on the poster, wasn't even asked for the phone line number, great offer, well worth moving from UPC tv


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots


    Fieldog wrote: »
    Anyway someone who hasn't been a previous customer can avail of this offer?

    Did they ask you for a previous account number or was there any reference to it on the letter?
    Seems anyone can sign up.

    It's a great deal, got the letter yesterday and signed up last night
    I knew when they were pushing the last offer so hard that they had to be something better coming up

    went for the basic €12.50/m which suits me as I'm only interested in the BBC and the odd thing on C4

    Only had to pay €25 up front which is credited back, so my first bill will be in Nov

    never had sky before, so I was a bit suspicious at first but it's very transparent


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    Yeah first time myself and no hassle. Just the 37.50 no phone line charge if youve no phoneline.


  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82


    Media999 wrote: »
    Yeah first time myself and no hassle. Just the 37.50 no phone line charge if youve no phoneline.


    I wasn't even asked for the phone line, I do have one but guy never even asked


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots


    Anybody know what the charge on top of this would be for a non-standard install? Want to sign up to this and get two fta boxes linked up too. Will the sky installers do this for me?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Anybody know what the charge on top of this would be for a non-standard install? Want to sign up to this and get two fta boxes linked up too. Will the sky installers do this for me?

    Wouldnt really be a job for a Sky engineer but in some parts of the country its a local fella they send out so you could always ask.

    Probably have to just get someone else in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    Dan82 wrote: »
    I wasn't even asked for the phone line, I do have one but guy never even asked

    Did you give your landline when they ask you for your phone number and didnt realise?

    edit - Maybe he could check if there was a live service just by the address. They can do this in the UK so its possible.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots


    Media999 wrote: »
    TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Anybody know what the charge on top of this would be for a non-standard install? Want to sign up to this and get two fta boxes linked up too. Will the sky installers do this for me?

    Wouldnt really be a job for a Sky engineer but in some parts of the country its a local fella they send out so you could always ask.

    Probably have to just get someone else in.
    Yeah was thinking that might be the case. I'll just go ahead with the install and get a seperate installer to come out and install a quad lnb and link up the two other rooms. Thanks for the advice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Yeah was thinking that might be the case. I'll just go ahead with the install and get a seperate installer to come out and install a quad lnb and link up the two other rooms. Thanks for the advice.

    Might ask them will a splitter work first as i think a multi lnb is only for different subscriptions rather than FTA.

    Lets say you had sky in every room. Each with their own card and potentially each with their own packages. I think thats when you need Multi LNB rather than just a splitter. Ask them just in case or research it yourself.

    maybe someone here knows.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots


    Media999 wrote: »
    Might ask them will a splitter work first as i think a multi lnb is only for different subscriptions rather than FTA.

    Lets say you had sky in every room. Each with their own card and potentially each with their own packages. I think thats when you need Multi LNB rather than just a splitter. Ask them just in case or research it yourself.

    maybe someone here knows.
    Fairly sure a splitter would work but it would mean we'd all have to watch the same thing. I'll have a look at my options though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82


    Media999 wrote: »
    Did you give your landline when they ask you for your phone number and didnt realise?

    edit - Maybe he could check if there was a live service just by the address. They can do this in the UK so its possible.

    No gave my mobile for everything, would have to have checked my phone for our landline number, it's only used for the broadband, didn't take the extra room add on, was looking for 10 for it , maybe I should have pushed him for a fiver :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999


    Dan82 wrote: »
    No gave my mobile for everything, would have to have checked my phone for our landline number, it's only used for the broadband, didn't take the extra room add on, was looking for 10 for it , maybe I should have pushed him for a fiver :D

    Id say he got it from your address somehow. Ive no phone line and it was on his list of questions.

    When your ordering there literally just going through a list ticking boxes which lead to different question depending on how you answer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82


    Media999 wrote: »
    Id say he got it from your address somehow. Ive no phone line and it was on his list of questions.

    When your ordering there literally just going through a list ticking boxes which lead to different question depending on how you answer.

    I did ask him at start when would they have broadband as I was with Vodafone broadband but anyone could say that, never asked for a number, only mobile


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tinalouise


    would it be worth cancelling my own subscription and then getting my partner to sign up a couple of days later. Don't want to seem cheeky and don't want to ruin the offer for others. half price for a year would be a fab saving :)


Advertisement