Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life as an army DF officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

investment wrote: »
    I'm 6 foot 1 inches

I wont be, joining the british army. Micheal collins is my hero..Last week I bought a large picture of him and placed it in my workout room. Everytime I need inspiration and motivation as I push for the burn I look at his photo

Also I have won many medals for clay pigeon shooting and 200 meters rifleing

6'1" I'm already taller than you...But apparently you are Big as well...now, I know a lot of Tall GAA players, I don't know that many tall GAA Players who weight more than 220 lbs. So care to tell me what you weigh?

When you need to push hard for the burn and to feel the pain you look at a picture of a man...Okay....

Care to mention competitions and years? I'm sure some of our friends on the Shooting Forums could oblige in confirming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm 6 foot 1 inches

I wont be, joining the british army. Micheal collins is my hero..Last week I bought a large picture of him and placed it in my workout room. Everytime I need inspiration and motivation as I push for the burn I look at his photo

We would all like to see the awards, please, as well as those for the '200 meters rifleing' - whatever that might be.

You might get more inspiration by admiring a picture of Baron Shorttttttttt - a man whose life, it seems, more closely resembles your own.;)

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I'm 6 foot 1 inches

Vs
    My past is behind me and I recently got my firearms certificate and I have been to see the doctor about my delusions and hallucinations. I hope to become a cadet next year before I apply to sandhurst. I have a masters degree from TCD

All my questions are serious and I want some serious answers

Seriously - this chap is just looking for a reaction. There are too many inconsistencies to take him seriously. Some might call it trolling.. mods will take whatever action they deem fit. Either way I'll be hitting the ignore button.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

neilled wrote: »
    Seriously - this chap is just looking for a reaction. There are too many inconsistencies to take him seriously. Some might call it trolling.. mods will take whatever action they deem fit. Either way I'll be hitting the ignore button.

I prefer to think he believes every word he is saying...It's at least funny that way! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Hmm...

Captain of the local GAA team?...Check.
    Small bit of Military Knowledge that you use to impress civvies?...Check.
    Delusions of Grandeur about your chosen career path?...Check.
    View yourself as a God to women and an Adonis amongst mere mortal men?...Check.
    Complete disregard for anything someone wiser and more experienced has to say, as you have been to college?...Check.
    Unable to see the difference between Mass Media and hard reality?...Check.

Son, are you sure you're not already an Irish Army Officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

I dont give a ****e what you all think!!!....I'm more likely to become an army officer than any of you guys here...perhaps I can hide my delusions behind a key board. But I'm a different man when the time comes a calling. I dont back down. I'm a quiet man.. but I'm very fcuking dangerous.

I own a gun therefore have shooting experience
    I'm a natural born leader. Captain of my Gaa team
    I have a master degree
    I'm physical bigger and strong than anyone i've met

do they allow computer/internet access in the Central mental hospital...???

I rest my case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm 6 foot 1 inches.......

6 foot 1 inches........over to you Gunny.......

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Laugh now..but you wont be laughting when I'm making you do push ups and hard runs in the wet.

I'm going to link my FB profile so If anyone has a problem..you can say it to my ****ing face you *****

I just want to kick the ****e out of you all now ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

Laugh now..but you wont be laughting when I'm making you do push ups and hard runs in the wet.

I'm going to link my FB profile so If anyone has a problem..you can say it to my ****ing face you *****

I just want to kick the ****e out of you all now ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If this is your general attitude and coupled with your earlier posts on this thread I sincerely hope you never join me as an officer in the DF.

You actually remind me of a former classmate from Scoil na Daltai that thankfully got exposed as a looney by the DS and ****ed out of the DF.

If you are serious about joining the DF and if what you have posted on here is generally tougue in cheek stuff and acting the big man as you have an audience then drop me a pm and I will answer any genuine questions you might have.

• Advertisement

My reaction now....

You really, really, really, don't get the function and ethos of military life, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

i want to have sex with you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]It was OK over in the Walter Mitty forum, but not here.

Second ban, so two weeks.[/Mod]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Jawgap wrote: »
    I used to think of myself as a world class Walt, but I realise having 'seen' @investment in action that I'm just scrabbling about in the mud - there are vast levels of Walt-ism yet to be revealed to me.

I'd have to call you to task on this one Jawgap...

If our vesty was truly a walt of world class status and experience he would have left it a bit longer before responding in the thread....

Between 9.02 (your reply quoted above) and his next response there was only 8 posts... a truly world class walt would have left it go a bit longer before stirring the pot up another little bit...

(This is not to say that i have carried out this type of activity on another site in the past, no siree bob!!)

To be a truly successful walt you have to hover on the edge of peoples perceptions, just dipping in every now and then to do a bit more winding up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Doing my usual morning scroll through Boards threads I see Investment started a new one asking whether he should get engaged to fast-track a promotion to becoming an officer. He must be flying up the ranks since yesterday, we must all eat our words. I'm sure it has calmed him down a lot and we can sleep better now.

Investment - I have to ask - would you have at least set up a new profile?! Come on like!

And Moderators - congrats. I take this back the other thread was locked/deleted

Meanwhile in the "Gentlemen's Club" proof that you can't keep a good man down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was hoping this was a thread about an actual day in the life of an army DF officer, and not a thread from one of the in-house nutters.
    I dont back down.
    Couldn't see you lasting a day even if you did get in! The DF doesn't stand for hot headedness from new recruits.

All jokes aside, what is the day like for a newly minted Lt in an infantry company / platoon in the Irish DF?

All jokes aside, what is the day like for a newly minted Lt in an infantry company / platoon in the Irish DF?

Apart from the accents employed by those participating in the affair, I would imagine from talking to some of my erstwhile colleagues that it is not a lot different from the experiences of ANY YO on his or her first day with men to command. Without doubt, for a YO, it will be -

a. petrifying.

b. a steep learning curve that gets vertical at around 9am.

c. a humbling experience.

d. a never-ever-forgotten day.

Mine was a lot more simple.

1. In the company of three others of the same rank as me - all getting commissioned on the same day back in 1984 - I marched into the room with my WO1's 'Tate & Lyle' badge carefully removed from my lower right sleeve, and already replaced with four nice shiney stars - two on each shoulder.

2. I then officially left the British Army, and signed myself off the nominal roll of the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Officers are not actually IN the British Army - they hold an appointment and commission to BE an officer over the other ranks for the British Army who are actually IN the Army. Well, I understand it, anyhow. If you are confused, please read the wording on a commissioning scroll for an officer of the British Armed Forces - you'll see what I mean.

3. I then took advantage of the traditional 'two-minute rethink' to decide to either walk out of the door a free man, or to accept the Queen's Commission as an officer in the Armed Forces of the United Kingdom.

4. I chickened out and signed up the next seventeen years of my life....the document itself, signed by Herself, graces our downstairs bathroom wall - another tradition.

5. The last tradition of the day was to march over to the OM, past the RSM - a good friend who was himself getting commissioned the following month - and get the very first salute in OUR direction from himself.

Happy days, eh?

tac

You tell it well.

I've a nephew in the British Army and he tells the story of leaving Sandhurst and reporting to Chatham for his Troop Commader's course and being told they weren't ready for them to come back in 10 days! He asked what he should do in the interim to which the sergeant brusquely replied - "You're the officer, you'll figure it out"

He also recalls the first salute he received when he was outside Sandhurst and said his first reaction was panic because he though there was an officer behind him:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

..He also recalls the first salute he received when he was outside Sandhurst and said his first reaction was panic because he though there was an officer behind him:)

sounds familar!

it took a long time to get used to the idea that 'Sir' at a Regiment meant 'Sir, can you help me?, and not, as it meant at RMAS, 'Sir, you are a fcuking useless cnut, infact so useless and utterly worthless that i wouldn't use your pointless body to beat out the flames in a housefire'...

though, actually, it probably did...

He also relates the story of how one of his instructors told them "my name is Staff Sergeant XXXXXX"

"You will refer to me as Staff Segeant XXXXX and I will refer to you as 'sir' - you will mean it and I most certainly will not!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

tac foley wrote: »
    2. I then officially left the British Army, and signed myself off the nominal roll of the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Officers are not actually IN the British Army - they hold an appointment and commission to BE an officer over the other ranks for the British Army who are actually IN the Army. Well, I understand it, anyhow. If you are confused, please read the wording on a commissioning scroll for an officer of the British Armed Forces - you'll see what I mean.

Cadets here when joining get a usual 6 digit army number and on commissioning get a different 'Officer Type' number usually 0.XXXX IIRC.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Cadets here when joining get a usual 6 digit army number and on commissioning get a different 'Officer Type' number usually 0.XXXX IIRC.

Same here - 1234567 for OR's and 123456 for officers.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Aquila wrote: »
    I'm still rather perplexed how this character can actively post in this forum and indeed boards.ie in general judging by his previous posts:confused:

Who? Me? Or 'investment'?

Just say the word, Mr Moderator, and I'll be gone.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Aquila wrote: »
    I'm still rather perplexed how this character can actively post in this forum and indeed boards.ie in general judging by his previous posts:confused:

He is mildly amusing in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

tac foley wrote: »
    Who? Me? Or 'investment'?

Just say the word, Mr Moderator, and I'll be gone.

tac

Yeah, if he does though it has to be in Chinese Hip Hop! :D

Do the Irish DF commission many NCOs? I might be dreaming it but I think I saw somewhere that in Europe, the Irish DF have one the lowest rates of officers raised from Non-comms and the Brits have one of the highest. I think it was something like 40% of officers at the rank of 2Lt / Lt / captain in the British Army had started out as enlisted men / women.

And just to be clear, nothing in the paragraph above should be seen as an implied or direct criticism of the Irish DF, it's just a question:)

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    He is mildly amusing in fairness

Ah, reading this, it couldn't possibly be me. I'm not even mildly amusing.

Harumph.

tac

Advertisement