Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life as an army DF officer

Options
  • 27-08-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

what is the typical day of a DF officer (LT) (Captain) considering he isnt fighting a war ??

How much respect does he get from the public compared to a british officer??

Do DF officer become friends with privates or do they stick with other officers??

What type of jobs do ex officers get when they leave??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

As you are a foreign agent, anyone providing the information to you would be liable to be charged with espionage, and possibly shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Possibly shot?!
    Shot at, but with a good chance of not being hit??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Why do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

benwavner wrote: »
    Why do you want to know?

The OP Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Ah vesty.

We missed you.

I think you need to re-reg though.

The investment alterego has had his day in the sun.

• Advertisement

investment wrote: »
    The OP Ben

:confused::confused::confused:

Look, to be honest. With your post history I doubt anyone will give you the answers you seek. If such information is posted here, Im sure you will use it for "waltish" means.

Why do you want/need the info? You know that a "typical" day for any soldier in the DF can vastly be different depending on rank and Corps. So, you will not get a "one fits all" answer in that regard.

As to respect, "inter rank" relationships and career prospects after a stint in the DF, these are also varied.

My past is behind me and I recently got my firearms certificate and I have been to see the doctor about my delusions and hallucinations. I hope to become a cadet next year before I apply to sandhurst. I have a masters degree from TCD

All my questions are serious and I want some serious answers

My past is behind me and I recently got my firearms certificate and I have been to see the doctor about my delusions and hallucinations. I hope to become a cadet next year before I apply to sandhurst. I have a masters degree from TCD

Oooooohhhhhkkkkkaaaaayyy!

A firearms certificate + seeing the doc for delusions & halucinations = Troll

Pop over to IMO if you want answers.

Oooooohhhhhkkkkkaaaaayyy!

A firearms certificate + seeing the doc for delusions & halucinations = Troll

Pop over to IMO if you want answers.

He won't make it past moderation on IMO before being deleted.

He won't make it past moderation on IMO before being deleted.

I didnt know it was premoderated, although I have obly been on it twice and never posted.

Steady flow of lunatics around here lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I didnt know it was premoderated, although I have obly been on it twice and never posted.

Steady flow of lunatics around here lately.

Haven't checked, is there a full moon or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

Fire arm cerificate, delusions and halucinations , Seriously how is the investment lad not banned??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Diary of an army officer:

"Got up around midday, raging hangover. Couple of shots of whiskey for breakfast. Made my way to the office. Met my Orderly Sergeant, he suggested I put on a uniform or any clothes really. Embarrassing!

Got to my desk, first order of business, Private O'Connell on a charge, persistent lateness and sleeping on duty. After hearing his case I sentenced him to death by firing squad. But Orderly Sergeant Murray, coughed and pointed out this was no longer on the books for this offence. 'Fifty lashes?' I suggested. No, apparently not. So I drew my pistol, put a round up the spout and placed it on the table in front of O'Connell. Told him we would step outside and allow him to do the decent thing. But no apparently this is not appropriate either according to Murray.

Damm this army is too namby pamby. In the end I said I'd think about it and dismissed them both. I needed a nap before lunch.

This afternoon I plan a snap inspection of the female changing room just after gym training. Should be interesting."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

bluecode wrote: »
    Told him we would step outside and allow him to do the decent thing. But no apparently this is not appropriate either according to Murray.

I haven't laughed out loud about something I read on the internet in a long time. Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Breaking my own rules about responding to a troll, but with your alleged mental health problems, both 'hoping to become a cadet' and 'applying to sandhurst [sp]' are as likely as becoming the next president of the Republic.

My serious response to you is to seriously look for advice in your mental health problems, that do NOT seem to have been resolved.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 fougachap

Hi there what have you done your masters in OP ? Are you going to wait for thee cadetships next year or would you be able to go straight in as a direct entry , ?
    If you are taking a year out I may have an interesting proposition for you .;)

fougachap wrote: »
    Hi there what have you done your masters in OP ? Are you going to wait for thee cadetships next year or would you be able to go straight in as a direct entry , ?

whats that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Is "Davehopper" back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 fougachap

Myself and a few others have decided to form a group or association of like minded individuals that would share the same ideas and principles , hopefully we would all be intellectually compatible and share the same ideals .
    any one interested ? pm me

Owryan wrote: »

Is "Davehopper" back?

It does look that way.

Either that or vesty has himself a new imaginary friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

gatecrash wrote: »
    It does look that way.

Either that or vesty has himself a new imaginary friend.

Vestys imaginary friend is "Roger" remember

Owryan wrote: »
    Vestys imaginary friend is "Roger" remember

that's why i said new.

roger sits on one shoulder, this fouga chap sits on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Myself and a few others have decided to form a group or association of like minded individuals that would share the same ideas and principles , hopefully we would all be intellectually compatible and share the same ideals .

http://www.davidicke.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Count me in

OS119 wrote: »

:D

Very apt.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 fn303dave

Is this the start of some new political group with militaristic points of view, if so count me in too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

what is the typical day of a DF officer (LT) (Captain) considering he isnt fighting a war ??

How much respect does he get from the public compared to a british officer??

Do DF officer become friends with privates or do they stick with other officers??

What type of jobs do ex officers get when they leave??

Thanks

Arrive in to office. If in good humour say good morning to office staff and go to own office and sit down. Pretend to be surprised when orderly brings in tea 2 minutes later. If in bad humour, demand tea on the way in and no good mornings. Read newspapers till 11. Go to mess for coffee. Join carefully selected group according to seniority. Ignore junior officers. Pretend not to see senior officers and hope not to be ignored by them. Begin conversation by describing what a hell of a morning you have had. You haven't had a minute what with the Director of Operations on the phone twice, ( unless you are the Director of Operations), not to mention the other Brigade looking for some off the record help, urgent letters in from HQ, to cap it all your corporal is on annual leave, your CS is on Orderly Sergeant and the another NCO is on a course.
    One of the recipients of this tale of woe says "The Director of OPs isn't he from County X, they made a right bags of it on Sunday." Reply by saying yes "did you see what xxx said in this mornings paper said about them, I just managed to get a quick peek before I left the office". To a chorus of "I didn't get a chance, so busy this morning" you recite the article word for word from the newspaper. One of the individuals who didn't get a chance then recites another article on the same topic article word for word from another newspaper. At that stage the Colonel coughs and there is a sudden outburst of "is that the time, I really have to dash - so busy". Back to the office to wait for lunch. Ring classmate in the other brigade and ask him where thinks xxx got the money for the big flashy car you saw outside the mess this morning. Fill in classmate on gossip till lunchtime.
    Take a half day in lieu of being late on the range the previous week. Go Home.

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Arrive in to office. If in good humour say good morning to office staff and go to own office and sit down. Pretend to be surprised when orderly brings in tea 2 minutes later. If in bad humour, demand tea on the way in and no good mornings. Read newspapers till 11. Go to mess for coffee. Join carefully selected group according to seniority. Ignore junior officers. Pretend not to see senior officers and hope not to be ignored by them. Begin conversation by describing what a hell of a morning you have had. You haven't had a minute what with the Director of Operations on the phone twice, ( unless you are the Director of Operations), not to mention the other Brigade looking for some off the record help, urgent letters in from HQ, to cap it all your corporal is on annual leave, your CS is on Orderly Sergeant and the another NCO is on a course.
    One of the recipients of this tale of woe says "The Director of OPs isn't he from County X, they made a right bags of it on Sunday." Reply by saying yes "did you see what xxx said in this mornings paper said about them, I just managed to get a quick peek before I left the office". To a chorus of "I didn't get a chance, so busy this morning" you recite the article word for word from the newspaper. One of the individuals who didn't get a chance then recites another article on the same topic article word for word from another newspaper. At that stage the Colonel coughs and there is a sudden outburst of "is that the time, I really have to dash - so busy". Back to the office to wait for lunch. Ring classmate in the other brigade and ask him where thinks xxx got the money for the big flashy car you saw outside the mess this morning. Fill in classmate on gossip till lunchtime.
    Take a half day in lieu of being late on the range the previous week. Go Home.

Sounds pretty average to me.

However, you missed out the bit about writing to the PMC of the mess about the lack of Garibaldi biscuits - a suitably military comestible for any aspiring career officer. Custard creams are just NOT officer mess fare, y'know.

tac

tac foley wrote: »

However, you missed out the bit about writing to the PMC of the mess about the lack of Garibaldi biscuits - a suitably military comestible for any aspiring career officer. Custard creams are just NOT officer mess fare, y'know.

tac

That may be how they do it in the British Army, but we have no time for that carry on here.

It's Jammie dodgers or scones.

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »

tac

That may be how they do it in the British Army, but we have no time for that carry on here.

It's Jammie dodgers or scones.

And your place in the pecking order is NOT determined by rank, but how you pronounce the word scones.

Does it rhyme with bone or on?

These are the mysteries of the officers mess!

Advertisement