Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything good about religion at all?

Options
  • 22-08-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished watching the Channel 4 news at 7pm. There were two items that stood out. The first was a refugee surge into Mauritania because of Islamists who want to implement Sharia law. Then 4thought had a pastor/preacher saying how it was up to women to dress modestly because men get aroused so easily, there was the usual bible reference to back this up.
    And me and himself were saying, is there anything that religion has done that can be classed as good. I know religious people will say those who do things in the name of Islam or Jesus like killing people aren't 'true' believers, but religion is the excuse/justification/reasoning behind so many bad things. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of things like children being taken from unmarried parents and sold to good Catholic families, laws on the stoning of women who are raped, women not being able to refuse to have sex with their husbands, gay people being persecuted and more wars than I can count. It's sometimes said discrimination or hatred is cultural not religious, but a lot of it has its original roots in religion.

I know this post is a bit rambling, and I'm not even sure what I'm trying to get at, apart from reasoning things out to myself. It just strikes me as deeply ironic, and insulting, that people of no faith, like our family, are portrayed sometimes as not having a moral backbone or sense of purpose in life because we don't subscribe to a higher power or believe in the truth of books written hundreds or thousands of years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

The Tao Teh Ching is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Well you can't tar them all with the same brush, there are some religious organisations that don't promote discrimination or hate and are general do gooders, they'd hold a minority of adherents though.

The big ones did great things for art, science and education at some point in the past, however I can't think of anything current which can't be countered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It can give people hope, strength, courage etc.

Now, that's not to say that in the absence of religion they couldn't get those things from something else, nor that those things (to me) aren't based off false promises, but if it works for those people and helps them, then that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The big ones did great things for art, science and education at some point in the past, however I can't think of anything current which can't be countered.

If a whole country is catholic or islamic for instance, then every artist, scientist and professor, of the country will be claimed by the religion of said country.

Every Italian painter, philosopher or scientist could be claimed by the RCC, just like every Iranian painter, philosopher or scientist could be claimed by Islam. (no doubt there are a couple of exceptions)

As an example, many of the priceless religious art in Italy was commisioned, not by the church but by wealthy merchants, such as the Medici family. (who produced a few popes)

The good thing about religion is that it prevents the working class from having delusions of grandeur and getting 'above their station'. It keeps them down. The meek shall inherit the earth and all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's provided us with a lot of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Religion has given us some good tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

cavedave wrote: »
    Religion has given us some good tunes

Indeed.

Actually. It gave us the entire Life of Brian too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Without- no inspiration for Fr Ted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A fairly easy question to answer yourself. Would a world without religion be perfect? No, it would not, therefore religion cannot be blamed for all the ills of the earth. People do bad things to each other, yet I never hear that we should ban people!

Then of course one can look at atheist societies and see that they were far from a utopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

jank wrote: »
    Then of course one can look at atheist societies and see that they were far from a utopia.

Oh for the love of Bog. And around and around we go.
    PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

A fairly easy question to answer yourself. Would a world without religion be perfect? No, it would not, therefore religion cannot be blamed for all the ills of the earth. People do bad things to each other, yet I never hear that we should ban people!

Hear Hear!!

People have fallen off cliffs. Let's ban cliffs. / looks for pitchfork.

(I never liked the Cliffs of Moher anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

A fairly easy question to answer yourself. Would a world without religion be perfect? No, it would not, therefore religion cannot be blamed for all the ills of the earth.

Do I hear the sound of butting in? It's gotta be Jank. A&A's answer to a question no one asked.

Seriously. Read the title of the thread at least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Seriously, jank. A complete straw man about "banning religion" and a mention of "atheistic societies" (no doubt of the Stalinesque kind) in one short post?

That's poor even in relation to some of your previous interjections.

Would a world without religion be perfect? No, it would not, therefore religion cannot be blamed for all the ills of the earth.

Would that man have lived forever? No, he would not, therefore I can't be arrested for stabbing him 37 times in the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Penn wrote: »
    Would that man have lived forever? No, he would not, therefore I can't be arrested for stabbing him 37 times in the heart.

seems like sound logic to me

*puts on Swedish House Mafia*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I think religion can do a really good job of creating a sense of community for some people.
    This can be for people in general, but also for groups who are at risk of marginalisation. Elderly people, immigrants, the slightly 'weird' members of the community (not bad weird, just strange). And in places with a really good parish priest, then you have a person who anyone in the community can knock in on and have a chat and a cuppa, and that's pretty cool.

It can provide a place of community and prevent isolation, and I can't see any secular organisation that does this in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I like some churches.

Also, despite the saying, the devil did not get all the best tunes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d88xIIRDI9U

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Take a look at the intelligence squared debate on youtube. The topic is "is the catholic church a force for good in the world". In fairness the debaters for the argument were very poor and they were up against some heavy hitters on the other side but a lot of the usual arguments were put forward and the audience poll at the end was fairly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it's a bit too general of a question to come up with any good yes or nos on it.

If you were to ask on balance whether religion is overall good or bad for the present world, I think it would be fair to say that on balance, religion causes more suffering worldwide through war, violence and hatred than any non-religious causes. That's not to say that without religion man would not be violent and hating, but religion in many cases provides motivation and justification for such actions, which would not otherwise exist.

If you were to ask whether religion has historically been good or bad, that's a much harder question to answer. We're all familiar with the funny "hole left by the Dark Ages" graph, but it's probably a little unfair. A lot of our current scientific knowledge was gathered by religious people and funded by religious orders. Many of the major breakthroughs which have led us to where we are now were as a result of people wanting to explore the wonder of "God's creation". Galilean persecution aside, science generally doesn't conflict with the bible on the small things, only the big things, like geocentric universes and the value of PI.
    In fact, it could be argued that religion was the "first" evolution of science. As an attempt to explain the world around us, religion used guesswork and rough correlations to devise theories and put them down on paper. When you don't even have simple mathematics, that's probably about the best you can do.
    The emergence of science then is a slow process as more facts are gathered and religious doctrine altered to suit these facts, and religion looks to verify its doctrine, spawning science and nuturing it. Evolution, until eventually science and religion are in conflict and competing.
    Would science have ever existed without religion? There's a question. Could we have gone from no knowledge at all, to the scientific method? Or does it require that someone has made that intermediate leap to try and explain things by guesswork to fill in the blanks. A bit like having a Sudoku grid with a million squares and only five numbers filled in. If you want to progress, eventually you'll just have to start writing random numbers into squares and then sort it out later.

seamus wrote: »
    I think it's a bit too general of a question to come up with any good yes or nos on it.

If you were to ask on balance whether religion is overall good or bad for the present world, I think ....

But why replace this question (is there anything good) with a different question (is it good overall). They are such completely different questions, and I don't think atheists are good at answering the 'is there anything good' question.
    It's like we're afraid to concede any ground, so answering the other question is much easier.

And I don't agree that the title question is 'too general'. Quite the opposite - it's a question about specifics, but people are replacing it with a general question that they can just answer with their general worldview

• Advertisement

Kooli wrote: »
    And I don't agree that the title question is 'too general'. Quite the opposite - it's a question about specifics, but people are replacing it with a general question that they can just answer with their general worldview

It's extremely difficult to get into specifics because "anything" is too absolute, "religion" is a huge topic and "good" is subjective.

Billions of people worldwide believe in various religious to varying degrees and it means something different to pretty much much everybody. Not to mention that it's impossible to know what would have happened without religion.

Penn wrote: »
    It's extremely difficult to get into specifics because "anything" is too absolute, "religion" is a huge topic and "good" is subjective.

Billions of people worldwide believe in various religious to varying degrees and it means something different to pretty much much everybody. Not to mention that it's impossible to know what would have happened without religion.

Anything is too absolute? I'm not really sure what that means. Would the word 'anything' stop anyone answering a question about the hazards of religion?

Religion is a huge topic? Yes. Again, I don't see why that would stop people answering what would come to mind for them based on their personal experience or their readings or thinkings about a topic that seems to interest them a lot.

'Good' is Subjective? Of course it's subjective. Does that mean people can't answer it? What's wrong with giving a subjective answer?

I just hate to see atheists tying themselves in semantic knots to avoid answering what is a very simple question. It seems intellectually disingenous.

The question "is there anything that's bad about religion?" has all the same linguistic traps, but I wager people would be happy to have a stab at the answer.

Kooli wrote: »
    Anything is too absolute? I'm not really sure what that means. Would the word 'anything' stop anyone answering a question about the hazards of religion?

Religion is a huge topic? Yes. Again, I don't see why that would stop people answering what would come to mind for them based on their personal experience or their readings or thinkings about a topic that seems to interest them a lot.

Subjective? Of course it's subjective. The meaning of the word isn't - well all know what it means. Does that mean people can't answer it? What's wrong with giving a subjective answer?

I just hate to see atheists tying themselves in semantic knots to avoid answering what is a very simple question. It seems intellectually disingenous.

The question is there 'anything' that's 'bad' about 'religion' has all the same semantic traps, but people would be happy to have a stab at the answer.

Actually, you're right, "absolute" was bad phrasing on my part. What I mean is that "anything" is literally that; anything. It's not a specific question, it's general.

And I don't think anyone here has tried to avoid answering the question at all. Many people have answered about music, art, churches, the role of priest in the community, the hope and reassurance religion can bring etc. But again, it's asking for "anything" "at all" about a wide-reaching topic from a subjective viewpoint. It's not a simple question to answer. I suppose with the way the question is phrased in the thread title, I personally tried to not give a subjective answer and speak about religion as a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Christmas music

• Registered Users Posts: 24 New_Flash

I'm not at all religious but I'm quite fond of St. Stephen. On a sunny day one can stroll through his Green and enjoy the sights & on his feast day we can enjoy the glory that is the Turkey, Ham & stuffing sangwidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

It has given us some great art and architecture and also many laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

No doubt there are lots of good things about religion. But I don't think there's anything exclusively good about it. That's to say, I don't think it provides for any merits that could not be (and are not) provided without it. In terms of "good", religion simply isn't necessary. So any good things about it are a fortunate bonus, as opposed to a critical justification for its continued existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Theists are happier, apparently. Having a common religion can be good to unite a community.

Has zero impact on whether it's true, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

IHCPT pilgrimages to Lourdes at Easter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've said it before and I'll say it again......

Creme eggs and pancakes. I can't think of any more, and I don't know if these two alone can balance out all the cr4p caused by religion, but they get my endorsement.

Advertisement