Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum beers - Saturday, 1st September, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nope. I've a hot date with Dana that evening
    Sarky wrote: »
    Ahem. Beer? Remember that? Anyone? Hello?
    Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls -- I'm sure Dr Who has a forum somewhere and that he'll be thrilled to hear everybody's thoughts! Over there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's like atheists started speaking another completely different alien language. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Jernal wrote: »
    It's like atheists started speaking another completely different alien language. . .

(Sorry, Robin, I'll stop now...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Damn it. This makes me *almost* wish I was living in Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm an atheist and I have no idea what's going on.
    Does this make me an old atheist or a new atheist? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Hi all,
    I just discovered your little section last night.
    I hope you dont mind if I pop down from Longford and join you next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

D'oh, I'm out. Apparently 'I have to go meet a bunch of strangers off the internet' is not a valid reason for not going to visit OH's folks >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Not saying this to be deliberately provocative but isn't there a stark similarity between folks meeting to discuss Jesus and folks meeting to discuss no Jesus? One half are religious believers and the other half are non-believers. As I said in Michael Nugent's thread, atheism is merely only a lack of belief in a god, by organizing manifesto's, regular meetings, indeed special annual meetings - isn't it just turning into an organized movement similar, but in opposition to religion/religious movements?

In other words, where has the individualism of atheism gone?

Not saying this to be deliberately provocative but isn't there a stark similarity between folks meeting to discuss Jesus and folks meeting to discuss no Jesus? One half are religious believers and the other half are non-believers. As I said in Michael Nugent's thread, atheism is merely only a lack of belief in a god, by organizing manifesto's, regular meetings, indeed special annual meetings - isn't it just turning into an organized movement similar, but in opposition to religion/religious movements?

I don't recall any discussion of religion at all at the last beers, though (unless you count The Big Lebowski). The regulars on this forum tend to share other interests like, say, Doctor Who, so it's basically an excuse to meet up and talk to like-minded people for a few hours. No religion required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

In other words, where has the individualism of atheism gone?
    Who said anything about meeting up to talk about (no) Jesus?

Lots of the fora of boards have "Forum beers". Do you complain about "individualism" when the Ladies Lounge user meet up? Or the gentlemens club forum, after hours, soccer, LGBT, Film Forum?

• Advertisement

I don't recall any discussion of religion at all at the last beers, though (unless you count The Big Lebowski). The regulars on this forum tend to share other interests like, say, Doctor Who, so it's basically an excuse to meet up and talk to like-minded people for a few hours. No religion required.

Okay - I get all that - I still think it creates an unnecessary division between 'us' and 'them'...the very act of an 'Atheist Meeting' has several connotations associated with it and you don't necessarily need to be an atheist to get along with someone. As an atheist myself, the vast majority of my friends are theists and it's the atheists who tend to p*** me off. I don't think being 'like-minded' about a particular sub-section of life is warrant enough to behave like a religious organization.

Okay - I get all that - I still think it creates an unnecessary division between 'us' and 'them'...the very act of an 'Atheist Meeting' has several connotations associated with it and you don't necessarily need to be an atheist to get along with someone. As an atheist myself, the vast majority of my friends are theists and it's the atheists who tend to p*** me off. I don't think being 'like-minded' about a particular sub-section of life is warrant enough to behave like a religious organization.

Meh. If I remember correctly, there have been a few religionists who've shown up for these things as well.

I don't think meeting up in a pub is behaving "like a religious organization." It's meeting up in a pub.

Lots of forums have semi-regular beers. I believe there's a Moderator forum beers coming up in the next few weeks too. Is that religious too? Or is it just several regulars of a single internet forum meeting up?

the very act of an 'Atheist Meeting' has several connotations associated with it and you don't necessarily need to be an atheist to get along with someone.
    That's why the event is call "Forum Beers" and not "Atheist Meeting". We'll be sharing beers with the Dublin Skeptics in the Pub too and it's for for anybody who posts in this forum and wants to drop along to the Lord Edward/Lady Edwina to drink some beer with other posters and other like-minded people.
    [...] isn't there a stark similarity between folks meeting to discuss Jesus and folks meeting to discuss no Jesus? [...]
    Nope. And I don't think anybody will be discussing Jesus either. At least if they do, they'll be doing it on their own :)

robindch wrote: »
    That's why the event is call "Forum Beers" and not "Atheist Meeting". We'll be sharing beers with the Dublin Skeptics in the Pub too and it's for for anybody who posts in this forum and wants to drop along to the Lord Edward/Lady Edwina to drink some beer with other posters and other like-minded people.Nope. And I don't think anybody will be discussing Jesus either. At least if they do, they'll be doing it on their own :)

Ha, yeah...I was at several meetings by Atheist Ireland before and found the conversation to be quite dry because the whole conversation revolved around god, jesus and abortion...now as stimulating as this conversation can be, I think there's a time and a place and sometimes it can be 'overdone'. But glad to hear boards.ie isn't so dry ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ha, yeah...I was at several meetings by Atheist Ireland before......

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

What in the name of Mary's arse crack are you complaining for then? Bit hypocritical, no?

^^^ Ladies and gentlemen, arguments for the pub only!
    [...] glad to hear boards.ie isn't so dry
    I can assure you that the one thing that Saturday evening will not be is dry.

Ha, yeah...I was at several meetings by Atheist Ireland before......

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

What in the name of Mary's arse crack are you complaining for then? Bit hypocritical, no?
    not at all, they were years ago and gave me reasons not to go in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I do believe it is customary to include a poll for people to declare their intentions in regards of attending such a prestigious calendrical event as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

strobe wrote: »
    I do believe it is customary to include a poll for people to declare their intentions in regards of attending such a prestigious calendrical event as this.

Just to clarify : Strobey are you suggesting the question should be?
    "Are you going watch the new Dr Who?"

or
    "Are you you going to the A&A Super Awesome, Super Fun Beers?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Just to clarify : Strobey are you suggesting the question should be?
    "Are you going watch the new Dr Who?"

or
    "Are you you going to the A&A Super Awesome, Super Fun Beers?"

False Dilemma man, Shirley they will be screening Dr Who on the big screen down in the place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

(Sorry, Robin, I'll stop now...)

Oh he is such a cunning linguist :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

Sarky wrote: »
    Ahem. Beer? Remember that? Anyone? Hello?[/QUOTE

218666.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

Well played :-)

So, the new season of Doctor Who will feature an episode called "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship". Might have to partake in that...

I'll bring this:

51iicloeH6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, the new season of Doctor Who will feature an episode called "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship". Might have to partake in that...

I'll bring this:

51iicloeH6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't forget you crayons and jigsaw :)

strobe wrote: »
    Now with added poll goodness.

4 attendees might not seem like much, but since only 3 aren't attending I guess it's a small world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

By "hot date with Dana" I mean "I ran Memtest on my desktop last night and instead of returning a text report it just went and hid in the Recycle Bin weeping loudly." Spending money on frivolous things like travelling all the way to smelly-tries-to-kill-me-every-single-time-I-visit Dublin will have to take a back seat to having a machine that can play Tribes.

I blame the Christians. Clearly they were praying to God for something to stop me posting. Jerks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

will they actually show doctor who there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

bluewolf wrote: »
    will they actually show doctor who there
    I second this question. But given that the lord Edward doesn't have a big screen out even a TV upstairs, I'm thinking it won't.

not having a TV, I'll have to wait until Sunday to watch anyway so I might call down for a pint or two.

Advertisement