Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Tokyo Sonata - Saw it a few years ago when it first came out and watched it again last night. Excellant movie that hits on so many themes that are currently dominant and constantly under discussion in society today. The family element ties the entire story neatly together, with a scattering of powerful and subtle symbols throughout. Tokyo Sonata is a truly great film that allows everyone to take a message (simple or complex) away from it -

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Lincoln but watched it without sub-titles in Prague! Couldn't understand the language, but you would get the drift no bother. Interesting experience. Once I watch it over here I will review it in detail. We did read some reviews online before-hand to try and help matters and yes the review here would be accurate!

We had some time to spare and we'd never been in a cinema in Prague before and this film was something we could interpret without subtitles. Interesting Film & Unique Experience :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Max Manus: Man of War" (2008) Netflix. In Norwegian with subtitles. Excellent biopic about the Norwegian WW.II. resistance figure Max Manus. Plenty of authentic action and would recommend to a friend. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

"Max Manus: Man of War" (2008) Netflix. In Norwegian with subtitles. Excellent biopic about the Norwegian WW.II. resistance figure Max Manus. Plenty of authentic action and would recommend to a friend. 9/10

Superb film, you should check out Flame & Citron if you haven't watched it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Tokyo Sonata - Saw it a few years ago when it first came out and watched it again last night. Excellant movie that hits on so many themes that are currently dominant and constantly under discussion in society today. The family element ties the entire story neatly together, with a scattering of powerful and subtle symbols throughout. Tokyo Sonata is a truly great film that allows everyone to take a message (simple or complex) away from it -

Brilliant film! It succeeds where something like Babel failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I watched Promised Land today. It's a good film but the ending left me puzzled. The plot sees Steve Butler (Matt Damon), an employee of Global an energy company, who goes around America shutting down agrarian towns so Global can come in and take the natural gas reserves below the economically declining farms.

There are a lot of great points in this. Matt Damon and John Krasinski (of The Office) are both on top form and I think the latter is making his way on to the big screen. The movie is shot superbly and the green American countryside is really out in full force and it's beautiful. The movie has good dialogue and flows along nicely. The shift in Butler (Damon) is a central theme, but
    it ended horribly. Damon announced to a packed gym hall that Global was lying and he told them the truth and walked out, got fired and the community keeps its farms. It was a bit of a cop-out. Butler went from town to town shutting them down (it's assumed/referenced) and possess a ruthless streak; he lies and connives -- although not obviously, to get signatures which enables drilling operations. Then bam, a complete shift in attitudes. I would have much rather the town got cheated and the gas company moves in and the people lose their farms, while also getting rich. It's ruthless sure, but that's the message the film is sending about corporations.

It's worth checking out despite my grievances especially for the work of Damon/Krasinksi.

"Red Dawn" (1984) on Netflix. I'm a big fan of 'what-if' war movies but most American stuff tends to be very OTT, jingoistic and poorly acted, and so it was with some trepidation that I sat down to watch this one. The scenario, a conventional invasion of the USA by Russian and Cuban forces, is so far fetched as to be farcical but setting that aside, the movie cuts along at a good pace and after the first twenty minutes or so of nonsense settles into a satisfying rhythm. A seemingly indestructible group of teenagers (including Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen) known as "The Wolverines" take on the invaders in scenes which owe much to the Russian 1979 invasion of Afghanistan and their fight with the Mujahideen. Only for the diehard war movie buff. 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Came in yesterday evening and was looking around for highlight of the FA cup fourth round. Stumbled upon a film with nicole kidman which for reasons that are beyond me, I started watching........It was Bewitched and Im deeply disturbed and ashamed to admit that not only did I watch the entire movie, I actually enjoyed it. To say Im worried is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Lawless- Enjoyable film, had plenty of potential but falls slightly flat of what it could have been. It looks amazing, has one of the best soundtracks of i've heard in a while and has some decent performances. Shia Labeouf wasn't anywhere near as awful as i'd expect him to be, only problem is that the story is a bit too disjointed, too much going on with no real progress and a lot of the accents can be quite hard to understand at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Game Change

Watched this over the weekend on recommendation from this thread.
    It follows the story of Sarah Palin in the run up to the 2008 US presidential election.
    Julianne Moore is superb in the role of Palin. A very well made film from HBO.

8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

"Red Dawn" (1984) on Netflix. I'm a big fan of 'what-if' war movies but most American stuff tends to be very OTT, jingoistic and poorly acted, and so it was with some trepidation that I sat down to watch this one. The scenario, a conventional invasion of the USA by Russian and Cuban forces, is so far fetched as to be farcical but setting that aside, the movie cuts along at a good pace and after the first twenty minutes or so of nonsense settles into a satisfying rhythm. A seemingly indestructible group of teenagers (including Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen) known as "The Wolverines" take on the invaders in scenes which owe much to the Russian 1979 invasion of Afghanistan and their fight with the Mujahideen. Only for the diehard war movie buff. 5/10

Shout at the top of your voice....."WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ha! Ha! That post brought back some memories. This was one of the first movies I ever saw on video cassette (I'm waiting for some young buck to say "what's a video cassette?") - possibly even on betamax! I wasn't even a teen but knew then that this was bonkers beyond belief, but it was entertaining at the time. I can't even imagine how bad the fighting scenes/special effects must look now.

Didn't stop a few of us shouting "WOLVERINE!" sporadically every now and then.....fun times indeed.

Watched "I Love You Philip Morris" over the weekend. Based on a true story, Jim Carrey gives, for me anyway, the performance of his life as Steven Russell, a gay conman who spends much of his life moving rapidly from one con to the next until he meets the love of his life, Philip Morris (Ewan McGregor). Therefater the cons and the pace of them become even more daring. Imagine "Catch Me If You Can", set in prison, with a South Park-type dialogue and theme! Not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it....in a very odd way. A very fine dark comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Eventually got round to watching Django Unchained.

Thoroughly enjoyable with the usual Tarantino ott language & violence along with some twisted humour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Le Régle du jeu (The Rules of the Game) - Jean Renoir's scathing and energetic pre-war satire. It's still feels fresh and invigorating today, such is the enthusiasm of the ensemble cast and the boldness of the direction. Basically (deep) focusing on several different romantic triangles at an anarchic house party, the film examines the collapse of social rules and order on the eve of France's collapse. It's pretty funny and consistently witty, but it regularly takes tragic or shocking turns - most famously in a rapid and raw hunting sequence (animal lovers look away) and an inevitably violent conclusion. There's plenty of misé-en-scene invention, most impressively IMO in a constantly panning camera shot with characters illuminated by sweeping spotlights. The uncompromising yet humanistic bourgeois comedy clearly had a strong influence on directors such as Luis Bunuel.

The last of Sight & Sounds 'top ten' I had to watch, it has in fact been the most persistent presence on that particular list since its inception in 1952 (Citizen Kane didn't even feature until '62). Its reputation is deserved - a bold, daring and thoughtfully crafted film whose period concerns and stylistic ambitions undoubtedly remain relevant and engaging in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Watched American Psycho recently and loved it, didnt quite expect it to be as funny as it was but it really made me laugh. Very dark humour and Bale is excellent. Especially enjoyed the scene with the business cards!!

'Look at it's texture....oh my god it's got a watermark' LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

The Room:

Words cannot describe this. Everybody who exists needs to see this at some point, its bad to the point that it becomes absolutely amazing.
    Funniest movie I've seen in ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nobody Knows

Quietly devastating drama about a young boy left to take care of himself and his three younger siblings in a Tokyo apartment when their mother abandons them. Told completely from the children's point-of-view, the film shows their remarkable resilience and the joy which their freedom allows them, even as the heart-rending conclusion approaches. A beautiful, lyrical film, a bit too long but never less than compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Mr Nobody

Stunning original warped...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I first watched Punch Drunk Love when I was around fifteen, and recall liking it but can't quite remember why. So I watched it again tonight. What a special film. Really remarkable stuff. It's just amazing how well put together it is. The way the camera, editing, soundtrack are all built around capturing the anarchic state of Barry's mind. If you wanted to give a class of film students a lecture on motivated mise-en-scene or cinematography, Paul Thomas Anderson's joyfully eccentric rom-com is the one you should pick. Adam Sandler will never be in a better film. We can consider that a given now, right?

The film does hold the slightly dubious honour of being the lens-flariest film outside of J.J. Abrams films, but I ask you to not hold that against it. A film to truly fall punch drunk in love with.
    Nobody Knows

Quietly devastating drama about a young boy left to take care of himself and his three younger siblings in a Tokyo apartment when their mother abandons them. Told completely from the children's point-of-view, the film shows their remarkable resilience and the joy which their freedom allows them, even as the heart-rending conclusion approaches. A beautiful, lyrical film, a bit too long but never less than compelling.

You should like I Wish so. It's lighter in tone, but no less lyrical.

And pretty much every Japanese film made in the last three decades can be accused of being a bit too long :P

"The Philadelphia Experiment" (1984) on Netflix. Sci-Fi movie about an experiment during WWII to make US warships invisible. Involuntary time travel is involved, some atrocious acting and the whole thing is rubbish from start to finish. Avoid!

"Jackboots on Whitehall" (2010) on Netflix - switched off after the ridiculous opening scene and interminable credits. Supposedly funny movie about England being invaded during WW.II. -10

"The Four Feathers" (2002) on Netflix. A very disappointing remake and not a patch on the (1939) movie. Set in 1884. A British officer resigns his command on the eve of his regiment's departure for War in the Sudan and is branded a coward by his fiancee and friends. Movie never gets going. 4/10 and that's generous. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

The Imposter

A documentary film about a 21/22 year old French guy, Frédéric Bourdin, who in 1997, while in Spain, steals the identity of a boy from Texas who missing went three years earlier.

It's incredible to think that he was actually believed for a short period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched these recently:

Kick-Ass: Great fun. Hit Girl is the coolest kid character ever perhaps, and Nick Cage is super.

Pi: Bleak and uncomfortable at times but very engaging and a good ending. Loved the cinematography and the strange characters.

Up: Just perfection. Makes me want to have children just so I can show it to them.

127 Hours: It actually took me a few years to work up the enthusiasm to watch it, but it was far better than I'd expected. There is not much that Danny Boyle has done that I haven't enjoyed. Memorable part was snapping the nerve in the arm and the accompanying sound effects that really put across the sheer pain of what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'They Live'

John Carpenter had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he came up with his satire on government control and consumerism, even going so far as to cast wrestler (and Frogtown "Hell-bringer"), Rowdy Roddy Piper in the lead role as "Nada". Nada is a drifter who finds out, with the aid of a pair of special sunglasses, about a bunch of aliens that are secretly controlling humanity for their own gain. Along the way he enlists the help of the always watchable Keith David, after some knuckle persuasion, and together they try and end the aliens grip on mankind.

While there's an awful lot of Carpenter in the film, 'They Live' is really a mish-mash of a couple of other stories, 'Eight O'Clock in the Morning' by Ray Nelson and a comic book story called 'Nada'. But it was Carpenter's growing hated for rampant 80's consumerism that really fueled the film.

Piper does fine in his role and sort of suits the type of picture that 'They Live' is. His delivery is sometimes off and some of his lines are really silly, but coupled with Keith David, the pair carry off their duties well enough. Also included is Meg Foster and her weird eyes, but there's not much for her to do here and there's some of the usual Carpenter regulars, like Peter Jason ('Prince of Darkness', 'In the Mouth of Madness').

Made on a budget of $3.000.000, the effects are economical and the decision to film the "reality" viewed through Piper's special sunglasses in B+W was probably a wise one as I'd imagine that the aliens make-up wouldn't stand up to too much scrutiny.

I have to admit, for years I disliked 'They Live' intensely, but like all of John Carpenter's film it rewards subsequent viewings. It's as preposterous as it is stupid and the film, as a whole isn't very tight. But over the years, I've come to really like it and now rate it as one of my favorites from that particular director. Although, I really wish that he would get back to the brilliance of 'The Thing'. But I won't be holding my breath on that one.

Even with the negatives though, 'They Live' remains a witty, very enjoyable picture and it doesn't outstay its welcome.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Silent Hill Revelation

I enjoyed it. But within saying that I was a big fan of Silent Hill 3 for the ps2. Its practually the video game converted to a movie. Sets, enemies, the bloody rabbits, even at one point you see a map thats exactly like the maps in the games.

But alot of people are saying this movie is crap. I am not sure if it will be enjoyable for someone who hasnt played the game/s. But hey, its only 94 minutes long. If you're into the horror genre, give it a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I loved that game but thought the film was complete pants. It turned its great psychological horror into a boring carnival ride of things popping up out of nowhere. Really weak stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Music and lyrics - I love Hugh Grant, hate Drew Barrymore, so.

Gave up on Netflix for a night and watched - most of - "Vicious Circle" (1999) on a Dutch DVD. The Martin Cahill (aka The General) story as made by BBC TV. Watchable movie but I preferred Brendan Gleeson's portrayal of Martin Cahill in "The General", and while Ken Stott is quite convincing in the role, it's his physical appearance that lets him down. I found it dragged a bit and thus nodded off for a few minutes near the end but woke just in time to see Martin get blown away. Strangely it doesn't appear to have had a British VHS or DVD release as my Dutch DVD was a genuine production as opposed to a bootleg. Worth tracking down a copy. 7/10

13530821_129727656039.jpg

The real Martin Cahill - Brendan Gleeson looked more the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Whisperer in Darkness'

H.P. Lovecraft's story from 1930, is brought to life in a fairly faithful manner involving some of the folks from the HPLHS http://www.cthulhulives.org/, who also brought to life, albeit in a silent manner, the authors most most story, 'The Call of Cthulhu', a few years ago.

'The Whisperer in Darkness' is one of the best of Lovecraft's stories and one of the best known too and this low budget B+W effort remains close to story for the most part, but veers off around the last 3rd, mostly for dramatic purposes. It's a given that Lovecraft is a difficult author to put on the screen faithfully and the vast majority of efforts fail terribly. In fact the only screen efforts that have come close have been this and the aforementioned 'The Call of Cthulhu', both of which have been produced (in part anyway) by folks who "get" the author.

The short story is typical Lovecraft fare. A bookish professor (and skeptic) Albert Wilmarth, from the Miskatonic University, ventures out to the Vermont countryside to meet with a farmer called Henry Akeley (with whom he has been in contact with), to discuss the strange beings that Akeley says are surrounding his farmhouse. Once at the farmhouse, Wilmarth's skepticism is broken down as he discusses the situation with a sickly Henry Akeley.

For those who are unfamiliar with H.P. Lovecraft, this film will probably not be to their taste, as it's very slow moving and like a lot of Lovecraft's stories, takes a long time to burn. It's also set in the 1920's (as it should be) and that'll no doubt turn a lot of people off too. It's B+W attempt to capture a 1930's movie feel will also be another notch against it, I think.

But for people who are fans of the author, this has a lot to offer, at least for the first 2 thirds of the way. The producers have seen fit to add a 3rd act that chronicles what happens after Lovecraft's original story ends. This has its benefits and its drawbacks. On the one hand, it makes for a slightly better film experience, but on the other it takes the original story off on a tangent that could put Lovecraft readers on a negative foot.

However, considering that every book that's ever been put onto screen, since the dawn of the medium, has been altered, I'm inclined to give the producers of 'The Whisperer in Darkness' a pass. Also, their alterations are of a far less destructive nature than some. The upcoming 'World War Z' being a prime example.

'The Whisperer in Darkness' is certainly not for everyone, it's not even for every Lovecraft fan, but considering the budget that the film makers had to work with, they've produced a very commendable effort here.

7/10

Hit rock bottom on Netflix last night - the choice really is dreadful and I'd say I'll have them cleaned out well before the end of my 30 day FREE trial. :D

Anyway, I resorted to more escapism in the form of "Patriot Games" (1992) another vehicle where Harrison Ford plays Harrison Ford - truly a man who cannot act as anything other than himself. After a dramatic start the movie follows a well worn path of bad terrorists **** with wrong guy and end up dead. Formula produced sludge which I watched for research purposes. 5/10

No

Thoroughly enjoyable dramatisation of the 1988 referendum in Chile concerning the possible extension of dictator Pinochet's rule. The film focuses on an advertising creative (Gael Garcia Bernal) who is put in charge of creating the 'no' television campaign in spite of fierce military resistance. Him and his team decide to forego scare tactics and use a joyful, optimistic campaign.

The film's most striking feature is that it's shot on the television camera technology of the time in 4:3 ratio - it's a decidedly non-cinematic aesthetic, but completely justified with the way it weaves the actual period footage in. There's lots of artefacting and over-exposure, but this is one of the most endearingly ugly films I've seen on the big screen and really suits the story. Said story is told straightforwardly, but it's a fascinating one about the typically cynical language of advertising being put to good use. It can be very funny despite often dark subject matter. Bernal (playing a composite of two real-life people) does well, although there are times when the director could have probed the ethical dilemmas he faces with more depth.

Still, thought it was extremely engaging for its duration, and don't let its oddball presentation put you off - at its core this is an accessible and fascinating story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The Baader Meinhof Complex on Neflix. Thoroughly enjoyable movie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement