Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

D'Agger wrote: »
    Django Unchained:

Absolutely loved this 9/10 for me.

Everything from the soundtrack to the performances by Fox, Waltz and Di Caprio and the dialogue between those characters was brilliant.

A movie that covers a wide range of emotions, the humor in it is top notch too :)

Watched it myself the other night and laughed very hard at the part where
    Django is allowed pick his own suit and it cuts to a scene of him on the horse in a big fcuk off blue suit.
    I don't know why but I found it hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Director Timur Bekmambetov takes great liberty with the telling of history and merges it with an equal liberal storytelling which combines all in all, to be a good 100 minutes of entertainment, not without some exceptions.

The film takes the traditional route: revenge story, a mentor/tutor, a change in roles and the return to the mission earlier in life. It is actually shot pretty well, visuals are bright and energetic, even at night, there's a bright quality to scenes. Benjamin Walker is a good lead and even as an older Lincoln, there's a statesmanlike quality to him. Scenes are fast, gritty and violent.

The film is let down by some poor pacing and shoddy camera work. There's a great flow to the movie from the beginning but it lagged heavily in the middle when Lincoln took up the presidency but it picked up for the last mission (which is a great section). The camera work could have been a bit better, during key action scenes it zooms in too close or is unfocused. These are mainly untrivial aspects.

One scene that was rather touching was the ending.
    As Henry and Abraham are in the present day Oval office, Henry asks Abraham if he wants to live forever to hunt vampires. Lincoln declines as he looks for his hat; his wife keeps calling for him to hurry as they're going to the theatre. The date was April 15th 1865, the day of his assassination by John Wilkes Booth. The scene fades as Marine One, the President's helicopter descends over the White House front.
    It was a nice scene that helped round out the film well.

It's a pretty fun movie that surprised me at times but on the whole it's a fun action movie with a nice alternative take on history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rewatched Tokyo Story for the first time in a few years. Probably my front runner candidate for greatest film ever made. A work of peerless grace, subtlety, insight and compassion. Ozu pretty much has an inability to indulge in pretension, and few directors have ever probed society and the human condition so beautifully. Added to that the considered, elegant stylisation that enhances the film's story and characters without overwhelming them... You're left with a film so singular and affecting that it is pretty much without equal, except perhaps by a few of Ozu's other masterpieces. As close to perfection as cinema has offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Killing Them Softly

Not as good as it could have been. Bit of a let down really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Night of the Generals (1966) World War Two set murder mystery/Operation Valkyrie mash-up starring Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Donald Pleasance and Tom Courtenay.

The penultimate film by Anatole Litvak (best known for The Snake Pit) shot in Panavision is a handsome absorbing drama which neatly merges two separate stories as justice driven Major Grau investigates a vicious murder in Warsaw, the suspects are three generals including Peter O'Tooles General Tanz. Their paths cross again in Paris in summer 1944 when the Valkyrie aspect of the story kicks in with the conclusion of the murder mystery occurring in 1965 (I'll leave out details as to the how, why and who). Great performances by the leads esp O'Toole who manages to capture Tanz character with minimal histrionics. The script has some nicely knowing, wry aspects to it which were unexpected (Gore Vidal worked on the script uncredited). The films reputation is not high and at 145 minutes you might think twice about seeing it but if you'd like a grown up military drama you could do a lot worse. Its also the first of that select cinematic subset - the serious degenerate Nazi drama - The Damned, Night Porter, Salo etc would follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Rewatched Tokyo Story for the first time in a few years. Probably my front runner candidate for greatest film ever made. A work of peerless grace, subtlety, insight and compassion. Ozu pretty much has an inability to indulge in pretension, and few directors have ever probed society and the human condition so beautifully. Added to that the considered, elegant stylisation that enhances the film's story and characters without overwhelming them... You're left with a film so singular and affecting that it is pretty much without equal, except perhaps by a few of Ozu's other masterpieces. As close to perfection as cinema has offered.

I only saw that for the first time recently after the BFI list came out, wonderful film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Pusher- Enjoyable thriller with some very funny scenes about a former detective now turned pimp who is trying to save one of his workers from a serial killer. There are some major plotholes in it and its around half an hour longer than it should be, but the pimp and the detective are great in it, there's some great funny moments in it as well. Well worth a watch if you are into current S.Korean cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Killing Them Softly

Not as good as it could have been. Bit of a let down really.
    this film could have been much better, the ending was a pure f~~k up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

underworld 1,2,3,4
    not a bad series defo worth a watch, i see kate beckinsale doesnt think she will be in part five, that will ruin it for me

siblers wrote: »
    Pusher- Enjoyable thriller with some very funny scenes about a former detective now turned pimp who is trying to save one of his workers from a serial killer. There are some major plotholes in it and its around half an hour longer than it should be, but the pimp and the detective are great in it, there's some great funny moments in it as well. Well worth a watch if you are into current S.Korean cinema.

Its The Chaser, Pusher is an entirely different series of films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Watched this recently, not much of a movie buff so dont have much to say other than I really enjoyed it...
    http://www.empireonline.com/features/100-greatest-world-cinema-films/default.asp?film=7

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Tell No One another movie from Writer of little white lies and husband of Marion Cotillard. Have to say this is a brilliant movie and highly recommended.

Quality French Film. Hollywood remake was mooted for a while but haven't heard much of it since. Francois Cluzet is almost always good and there's a pretty good ensemble French cast in it. I was going to say it was on offer in HMV at the weekend but God knows where mentioning HMV will lead to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Watched American Psycho recently and loved it, didnt quite expect it to be as funny as it was but it really made me laugh. Very dark humour and Bale is excellent. Especially enjoyed the scene with the business cards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Watched American Psycho recently and loved it, didnt quite expect it to be as funny as it was but it really made me laugh. Very dark humour and Bale is excellent. Especially enjoyed the scene with the business cards!!

I remember going to see that in the cinema and being one of about three people laughing, I don't think people realised it was a comedy, which it blatantly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Its The Chaser, Pusher is an entirely different series of films.

Oh dear, im always getting the 2 names mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Taken 2.

What a pile of ****e. That is all. 1/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Bummppd

Watched Django Unchained the other night, Was quite disappointed tbh, Although was immensely impressed with Leonardo DiCaprio's and Samuel.L.Jacksons performances, It gets really boring in places, Definitely not Tarrantino at his best!! And can anyone tell me why I cant read spoilers???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Bummppd wrote: »
    Watched Django Unchained the other night, Was quite disappointed tbh, Although was immensely impressed with Leonardo DiCaprio's and Samuel.L.Jacksons performances, It gets really boring in places, Definitely not Tarrantino at his best!! And can anyone tell me why I cant read spoilers???
    Hold down left mouse button while dragging across the spoiler to reveal the hidden truth.

this film could have been much better, the ending was a pure f~~k up

Yes, but to say that you're really going easy on the beginning and the middle.

DJANGO UNCHAINED

I really enjoyed it. Although, for the life of me I can't figure out why Quentin Tarantino, one of the great writer/directors of our time, thinks it's a good idea to be in his movies. "Yeah, sure I could play that part, in fact you know what? I'm going to play it with a cockney accent."

It's a real/reel (wordplay...I love it) blindspot for him. Although at this stage, it's cute. It's almost endearing. And who could forget his turn as 'Rapist No1' in Planet Terror?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Am I the only one who thinks Quentin looks a little like Richard Kiel (Jaws in the Bond movies) ? He should say the same amount of dialogue as Kiel aw well.
    Go compare - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001423/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Passport to Pimlico
    Old Ealing comedy enjoyed it a lot
    Residents of a part of London declare independence, when they discover an old treaty. This leads to the need for a 'Passport to Pimlico'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041737/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hootanany wrote: »
    Passport to Pimlico
    Old Ealing comedy enjoyed it a lot
    Residents of a part of London declare independence, when they discover an old treaty. This leads to the need for a 'Passport to Pimlico'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041737/

Hilarious line from the Copper in court when the Judge rules that Pimlico is no long part of the UK: "Blimey, I'm a foreigner."! If you haven't seen it another Ealing comedy "Whiskey Galore" is even better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Foreign Duck, The Native Duck and The God in a Coin Locker

Unwieldy title, excellent film. Receiving a delayed release here (was made in 2007), its better late than never. Directed by Yoshiro Nakamura, responsible for the quirky and entirely fictional 'band biopic' Fish Story. Things kick off when a young student Shinna(Gaku Hamada) moves from Tokyo to Sendai and meets his eccentric neighbour Kawasaki (Eita). The two bond over their mutual fondness for Bob Dylan, but soon Kawasaki has Shiina robbing bookstores. Initially seems to be a Coen Brothers like black comedy, with surreal but amusing incidences and a rather ridiculous plot. But then the film takes some altogether unexpected turns, and employs an inventive flashback structure to deliver a surprisingly emotional second-half. It all comes together beautifully. Most impressively, the film offers a scathing critique of Japanese society's lack of acceptance towards gajin or foreigners - an issue oft ignored by local filmmakers.

The pacing sometimes feels off in the second act, and at one point my least favourite cinematic trick is employed (
    the stealth vehicle
    ). But these are minor concerns in a film that's entertaining, creative and involving. The plot and character payoffs delivered in the third act are surprisingly poignant without indulging in cheap sentimentality. The DVD was just released on Monday, so well worth ordering if you want something imaginative and different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shivers (aka They Came From Within aka The Parasite Murders) 1975 Dir David Cronenberg.

The inventor of "body horror" first "proper" horror feature film (Crimes of the Future is more a experimental work) is the template for the first decade of his career. A isolated expensive apartment block in Montreal is the environment invaded by a man made parasite that is passed between humans with results best described as "ikky". Its a cheap film and one that suffers from some rudimentary standards in acting, sound, editing etc but also one that builds, as Cronenberg gains confidence, to a well judged climax as the inhabitants of the complex take on the aura of a sexualized zombie horde.

Shivers is one of several films made in the 70s I've seen recently which would almost certainly fall foul of censorship (or more likely a demanded rewrite) if made in exactly the same way now with teenage children at the core of objections. I won't give anything away but there's a couple of moments that would not be filmed as was. That said it was condemned at the time described by one critic thus - "crammed with blood, violence and depraved sex" and "the most repulsive movie I've ever seen." (some would say that's a rave review! :p)

Not one for the sensitive then.

Silver Linings Playbook

Really enjoyed it.

It's a pity that I can't fancy Jennifer Lawerence because she's the spitting image of my niece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Mona Lisa" (1986) on a .50c promo DVD. Don't know how I've managed to miss this one before now. Bob Hoskins, Robbie Coltrane, Cathy Tyson and Michael Caine. Bob Hoskins, fresh out of prison, ends up working as a driver for a high-class prostitute and is drawn further into the seedy world as his infatuation for the girl grows. A well acted movie with a very satisfactory conclusion! I love most things with Bob Hoskins (Who framed Roger Rabbit; The Long Good Friday) and Michael Caine ( Get Carter, Educating Rita, The Ipcress File, The Eagle has Landed) and so I was on a winner here. However, given the depressing subject matter, only 9/10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Stand Up Guys, Pacino, Walken and Arkin, i dont wanna say much, as i didnt read or hear anything about this film, i just watched it, and i must say it was a briliant film, it kept things simple, and it had a good comedic element to it,

im not a hugh Pacino fan, but i liked his more subdued character in this,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Nijushi no hitomi (24 Eyes)'

Keisuke Kinoshita's sentimental, but charming film from 1954 about a teacher who takes up a position on a coastal island, Shodoshima and her experiences with the children and the times. It spans roughly from the 20's to the 40's and covers ground on the obvious events of the time. But the real story is in how the teacher deals with experiences she has to go through with regarding her 12 pupils.

Shot in that very straightforward 1950's Japanese way, there is little frill in '24 Eyes' and it's all the better for it too. It allows the viewer to concentrate on the excellent performance of Hideko Takamine as "Miss Pebble", so called by the kids. Takamine is perfectly cast as the understanding and caring teacher and her subtle act of growing older and being both weakened and strengthened by the events surrounding her is the film's strongest point.

At over 2 1/2 hours, some people may be a bit put off by the length, but I would recommend this to most people, even if they are not interested in Japanese cinema at all. It remains watchable right to the end and is quite rightly considered one of Japanese cinema's greatest films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

don ramo wrote: »
    Stand Up Guys, Pacino, Walken and Arkin, i dont wanna say much, as i didnt read or hear anything about this film, i just watched it, and i must say it was a briliant film, it kept things simple, and it had a good comedic element to it,

im not a hugh Pacino fan, but i liked his more subdued character in this,

Hugh Pacino? Who's he?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement