Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hit rock bottom on Netflix last night - the choice really is dreadful and I'd say I'll have them cleaned out well before the end of my 30 day FREE trial. :D

Anyway, I resorted to more escapism in the form of "Patriot Games" (1992) another vehicle where Harrison Ford plays Harrison Ford - truly a man who cannot act as anything other than himself. After a dramatic start the movie follows a well worn path of bad terrorists **** with wrong guy and end up dead. Formula produced sludge which I watched for research purposes. 5/10

Get the US netflix its much better, worth it for the tv shows alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hit rock bottom on Netflix last night - the choice really is dreadful and I'd say I'll have them cleaned out well before the end of my 30 day FREE trial. :D

Anyway, I resorted to more escapism in the form of "Patriot Games" (1992) another vehicle where Harrison Ford plays Harrison Ford - truly a man who cannot act as anything other than himself. After a dramatic start the movie follows a well worn path of bad terrorists **** with wrong guy and end up dead. Formula produced sludge which I watched for research purposes. 5/10

Ten times the content on US Flix, mad not to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part 2

I can't state how good this is. It's soooooo good. I can't point to a single thing that I didn't like about it.

Highlight has to be finally getting to see Joker being as mental as he's made out to be.
    I wish I had the words to say how good this is but I don't. Part 1 and part 2 are incredible. Another highlight for me is the music, a real 80s vibe. The whole thing was like a gritty, 80s superior thriller. Ridiculously good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Watched Bellflower, a low-budget flick about a relationship that blossoms but then turns sour, very sour indeed. It won't be to everyone's taste but I thought the acting, dialogue and on-screen friendship were executed brilliantly, while the last hour or so was enjoyably intense. There's a very raw feel to the film too, some cool cinematography.

Also watched The Wild Bunch the other night - I can see where Tarantino developed his taste for violent shoot outs. Well-acted western I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The Witches Of Eastwick! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Watched the 1st episode of the new "House of Cards" on Netflix last night - jury still out. I really like Kevin Spacey so I reckon he will win me over in the end. To me the original series worked because the level of corruption was outrageous by British parliamentary standards but given what we see every day in American politics there's less shock value in the remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Seven Psychopaths. A total mess to be honest - the premise was promising but it tried far too hard to be quirky and clever and fell far short of both. Plus Farrell's performance was intensely irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Sea Wolves, 1980. Companion piece to The Wild Geese with much of the same crew and some of the cast in a telling of the true story of the Calcutta Light Horse a civilian ex army group who are tasked with the destruction of a German merchant ship which carries a secret transmitter in neutral Portuguese Goa on Indias east coast in 1943.

Whereas Wild Geese had plenty of shoot em up action this is largely talk and subterfuge until the mission itself, the veteran British cast (though led by Gregory Peck) sail through what is essentially a holiday with a pay day at the end. In real life none of the participants were allowed recognition of their daring-do so as to keep Portugal in the dark until over 30 years had passed. The story put out at the time was of mutiny by the German seamen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Watched The Guard. Thought it was a bit poor tbh. A few humorous bits made it just about bearable while Gleeson and Cheadle did the best out of limited roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

DogTooth- My first time watching a greek film and I really enjoyed it. A husband and Wife have kept their children locked away from the outside world all their live and it does a great job at showing the effect it has had on the children. The performances are great by the 3 children and it's quite funny at times too. Highly recommend to anyone into their world/indie cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭8mv

livinsane wrote: »
    127 Hours: It actually took me a few years to work up the enthusiasm to watch it, but it was far better than I'd expected. There is not much that Danny Boyle has done that I haven't enjoyed. Memorable part was snapping the nerve in the arm and the accompanying sound effects that really put across the sheer pain of what was happening.

I watched it last night and was a little dissapointed, tbh. I liked James Franco but I found the overall style impinged on the emotional drama - split screens and fast-forwarding scenes for example. That scene wasn't as powerful as I was led to believe. I much preferred the scene in the subterranean lake - that was cool. Quite good, but I didn't think it was Oscar material.

Watched The Guard. Thought it was a bit poor tbh. A few humorous bits made it just about bearable while Gleeson and Cheadle did the best out of limited roles.

I love Brendan Gleeson but this thing is getting such bad reviews I've been long fingering it - time to bite the bullet soon I'm afraid. :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I love Brendan Gleeson but this thing is getting such bad reviews I've been long fingering it - time to bite the bullet soon I'm afraid. :)

I don't know, I was a little surprised by some the vitriol & how much it divided opinions on here tbh. Got very good reviews in general elesewhere from what I saw.

Didn't think it was a classic myself or anything but found it an entertaining enough film. Poor cinematography was the main gripe I had with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Two films today:

Dredd (2012) Really enjoyed this, it had a nice level of gore (i.e it wasn't too relient on it) and moved along at a fair pace. Great popcorn flick,

Safety Not Guaranteed( 2012) Nice little sci-fi/indie-esque film. Light tone and good performances.

Both films are a couple of minutes either side of 90, refreshingly compact considering the last few films I watched were up to an hour longer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part 2

I can't state how good this is. It's soooooo good. I can't point to a single thing that I didn't like about it.

Highlight has to be finally getting to see Joker being as mental as he's made out to be.
    I wish I had the words to say how good this is but I don't. Part 1 and part 2 are incredible. Another highlight for me is the music, a real 80s vibe. The whole thing was like a gritty, 80s superior thriller. Ridiculously good.

Hadn't realised part 2 was out!! Been putting off watching part 1 so I can watch them together!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hadn't realised part 2 was out!! Been putting off watching part 1 so I can watch them together!

Get on it asap! They are fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just watched Withnail and I, been feeling like utter ****e for the past few weeks so the tone actually matched my state of mind. :pac: I already want to watch it again because the philosophical undertones only really began to hit me midway through. It's extremely funny but extremely bleak. Richard E Grant's performance was a particular standout between his inability to function in the world alongside his Shakespearean soliloquys. I'd love to see him in more roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Act of Valor

The biggest American flag waving piece of crap I have ever seen.
    1 hours 50 minutes of my life I will never get back.

1/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

The Perks of Being a Wallflower:-

Total Class, and the best film this/last year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Dagon'

In what has to amount to another wasted attempt to bring a H.P. Lovecraft story to the screen, Stuart Gordon still manages to capture some of the essence of the horror writer's strange world. In a story that has more to do with Lovecraft's 'The Shadow over Innsmouth', than the story from which it gets its title, Gordon produces a low budget effort that benefits from its setting greatly, but is let down by some very pedestrian acting and sub-par CGI. The script could have done with a great deal of polishing too.

'Dagon' tells the story of a group of "day sailors" (two couples), who have run into trouble off the coast of Spain. Their boat has run aground in a freak storm and the younger of the couples elect themselves to head toward a small fishing village to seek help. Once there they find that all is not as it should be with the strange looking locals and that the harbour a terrible secret.

If you've read Lovecraft's 'The Shadow over Innsmouth', then you'll know what I mean. The actual short story 'Dagon' has nothing to do with the film, but it does have the weird discoveries, miscegenation and elder gods of the former story.

In its favor, 'Dagon' has some decent scenes and the early sequences in the small run down fishing village are actually rather good and quite creepy. The setting is excellent and really conveys the feel that the town has been untouched by civilisation for a long time and has seen much better times. The CGI effects, however, are very dodgy to say the least and betray the budget terribly. But the makeup is sometimes great and there are some pleasing gore scenes.

After finishing the film, I was just amazed that Stuart Gordon just didn't film a straight version of 'The Shadow over Innsmouth'. It was certainly possible with what he had at hand and would have made for a much better film into the bargain. He also could have easily set Lovecraft's contemporary 1930's too, which is where these stories truly belong.

4/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Wreck-It Ralph A return to form from Disney/Pixar. Very enjoyable, with spot-on voicework from John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman and Jane Lynch. Superb short Paperman beforehand too.
    Flight Decent, but flawed. I can see why Denzel was nominated for an Oscar, 'cos it's one of those type of roles, but the film itself is only three-star stuff.
    Hitchcock Good (at times even very good), but not great. It has an over-polished look that doesn't do the tone any favours. James D'Arcy is criminally underused as Anthony Perkins: in terms of likeness to the real person, he steals the show.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

This is 40: Judd Apatow makes a Judd Apatow movie...in which Paul Rudd plays Paul Rudd, and Leslie Mann plays Leslie Mann. As has already been said it's too long which is par for the course with his movies, and I don't really remember much from 'Knocked Up' but the characters don't seem to have changed enough to warrant their own spin off. It's also great that Apatow is proud of his kids, really it is but that doesn't warrant them being in every one of his movies, and it's even worse that he gives the youngest one these lines that will make everyone think she is cute and innocent, but instead make me want to kick his kid in the face...less said about the older one the better. On the plus side his wife Leslie Mann delivers her best performance to date....only because she avoids going full on whingey annoying c*nt in this movie like she does in every other Judd Apatow movie she stars in (imagine being married to that), and Paull Rudd is ok.

"The Russia House" (1990) on Netflix. Despite being based on a John le Carré story this is was one lame Spy movie. Would be better retitled "Much Ado About Nothing". Sean Connery reprises his role as Indiana Jones' dad. When the credits came up I was still waiting for something to happen. 1/10 and that's for a few of Connery's witty lines. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched Source Code last night on TV: better than I was expecting, based on the responses in the related thread. It's a totally silly premise, but if you suspend disbelief and get on board (!), it has its own warped logic to it.

I had my own interpretation of the ending:
    after the bomber is caught, Coulter (Jake) has two wishes: he wants to go "back in" to "make things right", and then to die happily at the end of the 8 minute window. Goodwin (Vera Farmiga) grants him his wishes. So, at the moment his life support is turned off, he's dying, and I interpreted everything that happened after that as fulfilment of his wishes. There's no alternate reality except the one in his head, but that is sufficient for rest of his life

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Been sick all weekend so watched a nice few films for a change

Resovoir Dogs: Utterly classic seen so many times before and its still fantastic

Sin City: I remember loving this before when i watched it , some great scens overall but I don't know something was missing from it

The Grey: Never seen this had expected good things, Never seemed to get going was like a poor horror movie throughout , the wolves were cgi'd up the asshole and looked stupid, and then there building towards something in the final act and when it was just about to happen the movie ended :?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

cgi'd up the asshole

Hehe:p

Fully agree with the review too.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

haunting in Connecticut 2.

it wasnt bad.andthen again it wasnt great.one thing is for sure its not a slow movie.it gets straight into the action.

worth a watch if your desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Impossible

One of the most offensive films I have ever seen. Manipulative, cynical and exploitative. Such a tragic event does not deserve such a ham-fisted treatment and I found the extents it goes to to wring emotional out of the viewer truly distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This is 40: Judd Apatow makes a Judd Apatow movie...in which Paul Rudd plays Paul Rudd, and Leslie Mann plays Leslie Mann. As has already been said it's too long which is par for the course with his movies, and I don't really remember much from 'Knocked Up' but the characters don't seem to have changed enough to warrant their own spin off. It's also great that Apatow is proud of his kids, really it is but that doesn't warrant them being in every one of his movies, and it's even worse that he gives the youngest one these lines that will make everyone think she is cute and innocent, but instead make me want to kick his kid in the face...less said about the older one the better. On the plus side his wife Leslie Mann delivers her best performance to date....only because she avoids going full on whingey annoying c*nt in this movie like she does in every other Judd Apatow movie she stars in (imagine being married to that), and Paull Rudd is ok.

Are you fúcking serious? You're literally criticising him for having a unique voice and writing style. It reminds me of the story about the American muscian that moved record labels and when he put out a new album his old record label sued him for sounding too much like himself. It's just that absurd.

Judd Apatow is one of the better writers out there, especially in the comedy genre. He brings a depth, character and drama that's sorely lacking elsewhere.

Do you personally know Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann?...No, well how do you know they were acting like themselves then?

Just out of interest, how hard would you kick that six year old girl in her face?

How hard would you kick that six year old girl in her face?

How many times would you kick that six year old girl in her face?

Would you call her mother a whiney, annoying, c*nt as you kicked the six year old girl in her face?

Or would you kick the six year old girl in the face knocking her to the ground and stand over her screaming at her, "you're mother is a whiney, annoying, c*nt"?

Seriously though, the thing that really bothers me is that you went in to the movie knowing what to expect, from the writer, director and the two lead actors who you said were all being "their typical selves" and and you tore them apart for it. Why not just avoid the movie if you don't like that sort of thing? Just an idea, but instead of going to the film you could do something you really enjoy, like kicking a six year old girl in her face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

e_e wrote: »
    The Impossible

One of the most offensive films I have ever seen. Manipulative, cynical and exploitative. Such a tragic event does not deserve such a ham-fisted treatment and I found the extents it goes to to wring emotional out of the viewer truly distasteful.

i totally disagree.i thought it was a well told well acted movie. Naomi watts deserves the Oscar nomination she got ,maybe she doesn'tdeserve to win but certainly to be nominated.
    and even the cgi was very well done.

BUT your entitled to your opinion.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement