Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

siblers wrote: »
    Elite Squad: The Enemy Within. US Netflix is awesome!
    Loved this film, the main guy is great in it, loved the narration throughout, interesting plot that develops really well as the film progresses and its wonderfully shot. Must give the original a watch at some stage.

While I really like the first one and it has been a while since I watched it, I found the second one a better film.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watched it myself today having fallen asleep during a screening last year. It's a fascinating look at how the quickly the recession really hit the rich in the same way it did the average person but I gave serious issues with the way in which events are portrayed. It's obvious that a lot of creative editing has been employed in order to enhance the overall story which is something that most docs are guilty of but here much like in the work of Michael Moore it seemed quite obvious that manipulation of events was evident so much so that Siegel himself is sueing the film makers. I still enjoyed the documentary and found it fascinating, Jackie in particular comes across extremely well and very likeable.

Tried to watch Craislist Joe after but turned it off after 15 minutes in favor of a few episodes of Supernatural. The concept is novel but Joe himself comes across as an annoying optimist who has a rather nieve view of the world. I wonder would people have been so accommodating of him has he not got a cameraman in toe and been one of the producers if Hangover 2 and Due Date.

Ha, I did chuckle at the part where she said they'd be "happy to move into a smaller house, something around the 300 grand mark". Its like that line in TDKR "rich people don't even go broke like the rest of us"

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

The Bourne Identity - don't know how I've never managed to see these films but i really enjoyed it, loved the feel and tone to the film and hoping the rest carry on in the same vein.

The Impossible - loved it. The scale of the tsunami was portrayed brilliantly and thought the acting was great, especially the younger members of the cast. definitely one im glad i saw at the cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Bullitt" (1968) on VHS. Still a classic cop movie after all these years. Steve McQueen and Jacqueline Bisset. Best known for the car chase through San Francisco. Although still impressive (Steve McQueen did most of his own driving stunts) it has serious challengers for the best car chase from the like of "The French Connection", "Ronin" and "The Bourne Identity". 9/10

"A Bridge too Far" (1977) on VHS. Another classic, and one that I come back too time and again. Based on the true story of "Operation Market Garden" during WWII - an audacious plan
    that could have ended the war a year early had it succeeded.
    An all star cast including Sean Connery, Dirk Borgade, Michael Caine, Ryan O'Neal, Gene Hackman, Edward Fox, Anthony Hopkins....etc.etc. So good I'm thinking of splashing out on a DVD. :D10/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Flight

Reminded me in many ways of Crazy Heart where Jeff Bridges also plays a soul searching alcoholic. I thought this was easily one of Denzel Washington's finest performances and really sympathized with his pretty disastrous life. The only thing that disappointed me was John Goodman's lack of screen time, I think there was scope for more input from him.

Overall I'd easily give this an 8/10, very highly recommended with some excellent performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ManOnFire wrote: »
    The Bourne Identity - don't know how I've never managed to see these films but i really enjoyed it, loved the feel and tone to the film and hoping the rest carry on in the same vein.

They get better as they go on imo, great trilogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

While I really like the first one and it has been a while since I watched it, I found the second one a better film.

I thought the first was better, but all in all they are great films and well worth a watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a rainy Sunday afternoon and I'm watching The Towering Inferno on RTE, practically a cliche of matinee scheduling really. Along with creature-features, I must admit to having a soft spot for the disaster genre, popular in the 70s. Man, they don't make films like this anymore, not sure if that's a good it bad thing really :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a rainy Sunday afternoon and I'm watching The Towering Inferno on RTE, practically a cliche of matinee scheduling really. Along with creature-features, I must admit to having a soft spot for the disaster genre, popular in the 70s. Man, they don't make films like this anymore, not sure if that's a good it bad thing really :)

Funnily enough, it just got remade. In Korean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"A Bridge too Far" (1977) on VHS. Another classic, and one that I come back too time and again. Based on the true story of "Operation Market Garden" during WWII - an audacious plan
    that could have ended the war a year early had it succeeded.
    An all star cast including Sean Connery, Dirk Borgade, Michael Caine, Ryan O'Neal, Gene Hackman, Edward Fox, Anthony Hopkins....etc.etc. So good I'm thinking of splashing out on a DVD. :D10/10

Easily the most star packed film of the 70s, maybe ever. Robert Redford got paid 500,000 dollars for 2 weeks work, which isn't getting out of bed money these days but nice work at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Edward Fox is brilliant in 'A Bridge too Far'. Very close to the real life Horrocks, who he actually knew.

In contrast, James Caan (who is usually decent) is pretty awful. But, I'd say that that's down to the bad writing of his segment more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Unkown- Starts off pretty interesting, intriguing enough premise but the way it develops is pretty poor. Forced myself to stick it out, Liam Neeson puts in a good performance but thats the only decent thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Entity

A woman finds herself at the mercy of a malevolent and invisible being that attacks her nightly.

Pretty entertaining horror that just about stays on the right side of the line between stupid and sensible, well, for most of the film anyway. Supposedly based on true story but I didn't find much to verify that. Then again, I didn't look very hard. Whether it is or is not, it's an entertaining film and worth a watch for anyone who fancies a fun, creepy 80s horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Groundhog Day

finally got to see this, wtf ???

how is this film so popular ?

Boring .... most overated film i've ever seen.

Rubbish in fact....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Cloud Atlas
    Just brilliant. Loved it. 3 hours but didn't feel that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Django Unchained:

Absolutely loved this 9/10 for me.

Everything from the soundtrack to the performances by Fox, Waltz and Di Caprio and the dialogue between those characters was brilliant.

A movie that covers a wide range of emotions, the humor in it is top notch too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Les Misérables
    Disappointing, ponderous and completely unmoving. I know I'm probably in the minority, but - apart from Samantha Barks as Eponine - I just didn't like it. **
    The Man on the Train
    A valiant effort, given its budget and time constraints (a two week shoot), but ultimately pointless remake of the French film from ten years ago. *
    Silver Linings Playbook
    I decided I better go to see it before it vanished from the cinema. I really liked it, more than I thought I would. ****
    Gangster Squad
    Passed the time, but nothing special, and historically all over the place. More Dick Tracy than LA Confidential. Still, anything which puts Emma Stone in a dress that's like something from Jessica Rabbit's wardrobe is always worth a look. ***
    The Glimmer Man
    Hopeless nineties Seagal thriller - I'd recorded it over Christmas and stuck it on yesterday for light relief. Unfortunately, it's not even "so bad it's good". It's just a mess. **

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The Glimmer Man
    Hopeless nineties Seagal thriller - I'd recorded it over Christmas and stuck it on yesterday for light relief. Unfortunately, it's not even "so bad it's good". It's just a mess. **
    If its got Steven Seagal on the credits, I immediately ignore the waste of celluloid. I think they might use his movies as torture in Guantanamo Bay. Still, we live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Serenity. Loved it! Loved the ships and their crude designs. Loved the characters. The dialogue was so un-sci fi and natural, making the plot feel more plausible. It was really funny and didn't take itself too seriously, but at the same time was an intelligent movie. Will definitely watch again for pure enjoyment reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

livinsane wrote: »
    Watched Serenity. Loved it! Loved the ships and their crude designs. Loved the characters. The dialogue was so un-sci fi and natural, making the plot feel more plausible. It was really funny and didn't take itself too seriously, but at the same time was an intelligent movie. Will definitely watch again for pure enjoyment reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

You're welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Birneybau wrote: »

agreed , have to watch Firefly if you liked Serenity ! Fantastic series

• Registered Users Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the_monkey wrote: »
    Groundhog Day

finally got to see this, wtf ???

how is this film so popular ?

Boring .... most overated film i've ever seen.

Rubbish in fact....

:eek::eek: groundhog day is a brilliant film IMO ! but everyone has their own opinions

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Silver Linings Playbook

Wasn't sure if I would enjoy this or not, ended up really enjoying it, uplifting quirky movie with a great performance from Bradley Cooper and good seeing De Nero back to form with his supporting role.

7/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

John Carter - the original story isn't always best. A po-faced, CGI-heavy epic that suffers from its convoluted lore, ill-defined characters and rigid, near-unspeakable dialogue. Reminded me most of Attack of the Clones (right down to one near-identical setpiece) - while Lucas was no doubt heavily inspired by the original Carter serials, the years and countless derivative works - including the camp, absurdist likes of Flash Gordon - have soured this dully fantastical Mars. Andrew Stanton directs with little flair, and none of the actors make an impression with badly written characters.

That said, one nice visual touch is how the Martian landscapes echo the visual signifiers of the Old West, where the story begins. The action scenes are at least competent.

The final minutes enthusiastically tease a sequel - and we'll more than likely never see it. Perhaps its best that John Carter's further adventures remain on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Birneybau wrote: »

Ya I copped that while looking around on imdb, thanks though. Funnily enough, I wouldn't have checked out that show in a million years had I not seen the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seven Psychopaths: Seen a glimpse of this at movie fest (I think) and the trailer made it seem like a completely different film. It's enjoyable mainly thanks to the good dialogue and performances from the three main actors. I don't think it does a good job of mixing the comedy aspect with the violence, with the
    death of Hans' wife coming across as a real WTF moment for me. Although given the meta aspect of the film and Farrell's characters difficulties in tying violence into his own stories ending it could have been intentional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Return to Glennascaul" (1953) This afternoon, for research purposes. A quirky little ghost story starring Orson Welles and directed by Hilton Edwards. Filmed in South County Dublin. Twenty three minutes well spent and it was FREE - in three parts on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Zero Dark Thirty

Plot: The story of the CIA's search for Bin Laden and the eventual mission to take him out.

Despite good reviews and numerous award wins and nominations I was underwhelmed by this. I felt the same about Kathryn Bigelow's similar effort, The Hurt Locker, so maybe it's something to do with her. Of maybe, not being an American, I don't really identify with the people of the events in the film, I don't know.

But I thought the film was just OK overall. I think it depicts a fairly accurate representation of life as a CIA agent in the Middle East and the questionable torturing that was used to gain information from suspected terrorists. But about halfway through I found myself getting slightly bored. I wasn't a fan of how the eventual raid on Bin Laden's compound was shot either, a bit too dark and jumpy. The ending is fairly abrupt also.

The performances are pretty good, although Jessica Chastain didn't blow me away despite her Oscar nomination. There is also a very brief cameo by John Barrowman which was a bit out of the blue! :D

But all around a decent film, and would love to see what other Boardsies think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"Return to Glennascaul" (1953) This afternoon, for research purposes. A quirky little ghost story starring Orson Welles and directed by Hilton Edwards. Filmed in South County Dublin. Twenty three minutes well spent and it was FREE - in three parts on YouTube.

"Free on you tube" might soon oust your beloved VHS for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Seven Psychopaths

Watched this with pretty low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. The dialogue was top notch with some good laughs. Wasn't expecting it to be so gory which was also a plus :D. Would definitely recommend, another top notch effort from Martin McDonagh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement