Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US open 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Re-watching it now and just finished. Epic victory for him.

WTF is that thing interviewing the players after the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,095 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That really as a great match. I picked Andy to win the US Open right after his defeat at Wimbledon. I thought that he had turned a corner and got to a level that was slam capable. He showed he has the game and the power to out slug the best. He was well able to stay in the long rallies and it was Murray who seemed more the boss as the rallies lengthened.

Anyway, really delighted he won. He has now got that vital first slam. It should really be a masive weight off his shoulders. Not sure how 5 slam defeats would have affected him. It could have been his breaking. He has shown serious courage and character to come back from 4 slam losses to finally get the win.

If Andy stays as commmitted as ever he really has more slams in him. He is currently one of the 4 best in the world. He is at any one time the best, juts like the other three.

I am not even a fan of his. I just really wanted him to win last night. The four losses and still he is is there trying and trying. That deserves some credit. So happy he has got that slam win that he has worked for for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Delight Andy won his first grand slam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Tox56 wrote: »
    Just seen on BBC that Rusedski won Sports Personality of the Year in 1997 after making the US Open final, Murray has won the US Open, a gold and silver in the Olympics and made the final at Wimbledon, and he might not even make it into the Top 3.

Amazing. Anyway, I don't think he'll go on a Djokovic-esque run, but I could see him having a good 5-6 majors at least before he's finished.

well the problem for andy here, if you can call it that, is that bradley wiggins and the olympians did so well the list is quite big !!!

then again if he wins the end of season masters in the 02 that might swing a few
    extra votes for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Delighted he won, he deserved it after all the other times he has come close and with Nadal out injured this was his best opportunity.

Not sure how many more he will win, but I'd say now that the monkey is off his back he can relax a bit more.

That said, Fed, Djok and Nadal are still hitting quite well, Nadal might be a bit rusty when he returns. Murray should probably still be able to compete with them quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just seen on BBC that Rusedski won Sports Personality of the Year in 1997 after making the US Open final, Murray has won the US Open, a gold and silver in the Olympics and made the final at Wimbledon, and he might not even make it into the Top 3.

As far as I see it the likes of Ennis and Mo Farrah shouldn't really be considered as much as Murray and Wiggins. I don't like Wiggins at all, but, he and Murray achieved Olympic success AND the highest pinnacle of their individual sport outside the Olympics, all within quite a short period of time.

I'd think it should be between them two, but we'll see. Surly Rory should be in with a shout too? ;)

p.s. When do we abandon this thread and move back into the "between slams" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

As far as I see it the likes of Ennis and Mo Farrah shouldn't really be considered as much as Murray and Wiggins. I don't like Wiggins at all, but, he and Murray achieved Olympic success AND the highest pinnacle of their individual sport outside the Olympics, all within quite a short period of time.

I'd think it should be between them two, but we'll see. Surly Rory should be in with a shout too? ;)

p.s. When do we abandon this thread and move back into the "between slams" thread?

It depends what way you look at it, the pinnacle for Ennis and Farah is the Olympics. Unlike Murray (and Wiggins) the Olympics is all they had. It's like swimmers who win multiple medals because they have more events, it doesn't mean they're better than someone like Usain Bolt because Bolt only had 3 events.

I don't normally care for SPOTY, but this year I'll be really interested to see who wins. Ironically the least deserving (imo) of the main contenders is Ennis, but she's the best "personality" of the lot.

I'd go with Murray though, still can't quite believe he's done it.

It depends what way you look at it, the pinnacle for Ennis and Farah is the Olympics. Unlike Murray (and Wiggins) the Olympics is all they had. It's like swimmers who win multiple medals because they have more events, it doesn't mean they're better than someone like Usain Bolt because Bolt only had 3 events.

I don't normally care for SPOTY, but this year I'll be really interested to see who wins. Ironically the least deserving (imo) of the main contenders is Ennis, but she's the best "personality" of the lot.

I'd go with Murray though, still can't quite believe he's done it.

No I agree, it all depends on how you look at it. But the athletes do have World championships and European Championships and what not. It's a public vote in the end isn't it? So it will most likely come down to who the public actually like most, which at the moment I'd assume is Ennis?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No I agree, it all depends on how you look at it. But the athletes do have World championships and European Championships and what not. It's a public vote in the end isn't it? So it will most likely come down to who the public actually like most, which at the moment I'd assume is Ennis?
    With it being down to the public vote nowadays it's as much a matter as who gets an online campaign behind them.

If there are 2 athletes (Farrah and Ennis) their vote will be split - having said that I have a strong suspicion Farrah will make the top 3. Wiggins will also suffer from a split vote, assuming Hoy gets on the shortlist (I can also see Sarah Storey getting on it as there will be a strong push to get at least one paralympic competitor on the list)

Tennis players tend to get more of the "popular vote" and British sports fans have been waiting many decades for someone to do what he has just done, which is why I would put Murray as a very strong favourite, ahead of Wiggins. McIlroy may well get on the list but will be well down in the final assessment - the winner almost always comes from an Olympic athlete in a leap-year.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Happy for him..... but we'll never hear the end of this now. :'(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Agree it'll be between those two, and maybe Rory, but Murray stil has a chance to finish No1 - that would nail it.

Well done Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Said he could do it beforehand, never stopped believing and waht a night! Well worth staying up for. So proud of him and he is a true hero. What a gutsy performance. The first of many Mr. Murray :)

Credit to Novak too it really was a cracking, intriguing game with some amazing defence and shots. Gonna rewatch it now I loved it so much! I'm still buzzing go on Andy :)

Spoty- Ennis should be nowhere near Farah, Murray and Wiggins and according to the bookies these latter three have the top three sewn up and I can't disagree. Murray gets my vote fact

Also, watching last nights match made me feel truly priviledged to be able to watch this greatest era of men's tennis ever firsthand. 4 incredible, amazing athletes and sportsmen. What a sport!

davyjose wrote: »
    Agree it'll be between those two, and maybe Rory, but Murray stil has a chance to finish No1 - that would nail it.

Well done Andy.

It's still mathematically possible for Andy to be YE #1 but Berdych is closer to Murray then Murray is to Djokovic, so I'd say it's fairly unlikely. But still he's had a great year, and if I was voting I'd vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Some nice photos of Andy in Central Park with his trophy doing the rounds on Twitter. Hope his toenail grows back!:p

A very enjoyable U.S. Open!! Some exciting matches and surprises. Sad to see Clijsters and Roddick retire but the future is bright.

Results
    Men's Champion: Andy Murray (GBR)
    Women's Champion: Serena Williams (USA)
    Men's Doubles Champions: Bob & Mike Bryan (USA)
    Women's Doubles Champions: Roberta Vinci & Sara Errani (ITA)
    Mixed Doubles Champions: Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) & Bruno Soares (BRA)
    Junior Boy's Champion: Filip Peliwo (CAN)
    Junior Girl's Champion: Samantha Crawford (USA)
    Junior Boy's Doubles Champions: Kyle Edmund (GBR) & Frederico Ferriera Silva (ESP)
    Junior Girls's Doubles Champions: Gabrielle Andrews & Taylor Townsend (USA)

Note: The "In Between GS" thread is back in action now if you want to discuss the upcoming Davis Cup SFS & Asian swing of the tour.

cgpg5 wrote: »

So prediction...(drumroll)... Andy Murray!

Never in doubt haha :D Great tournament roll on the AO won't feel it :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A tad late to comment on the action, but so so so happy that Andy has finally won a slam. I can definitely see him winning a few more and he'll certainly be a big contender in Australia come January. I think Greg Rusedski might have been a little bit too excited in thinking that he might finish the year as No.1 though :)

Can't believe the tennis is pretty much over for the season now, it went so quickly :(

Is there much of a chance he could get to 2? 1/2 all the same with Rafa likely to be off form somewhat (that's if he even ends up playing) at the AO, it could be a great bonus to get that side of draw or Ferrer as a potential semi. Wouldn't say it's a bye to the final but it's not far off :p

Is there much of a chance he could get to 2? 1/2 all the same with Rafa likely to be off form somewhat (that's if he even ends up playing) at the AO, it could be a great bonus to get that side of draw or Ferrer as a potential semi. Wouldn't say it's a bye to the final but it's not far off :p

Well it's always possible but when you think about this period of time last year, Novak got injured in the US Open final, made it worse playing Davis Cup, missed all of the Asian swing, and played maybe 2 tournaments in the run up to YEC's where he lost early in both, and the YEC's. So he's not really defending a lot of points.
    Andy won 3 tournaments in Asia. I can't see him playing the smaller one in Thailand this year, but he's still got lots to defend.
    I would imagine he'll hang on to 3rd easily enough, but I can't see him getting 2nd, unless he defends all his points and wins the YEC's and Novak doesn't play at all for the rest of the year :)

EDIT: Points to defend for the rest of the year: Roger Federer 3000 Novak Djokovic 560 Andy Murray 1930 Rafael Nadal 590

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

You work for the BBC or what ?

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:
    the_monkey wrote: »

Now Nole has the trainer out .... do or die now man ... would be epic if he won this set 7-5 - never gonna happen though, I was thinking of getting BBC down here on satellite aswell , i think ill skip that after this ... :rolleyes:
    From BBC ..

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    my God, I wont be able to watch the BBC for months now .... they will never shut up about this ....

Tennis is sh*t again, please come back Rafa ... all is forgiven...

You really don't like BBC, did they do something to offend you :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

:D:D !!

well , it's the way they go on about Murray and in the past henman .. etc..

but the BBC is great for docs etc...

The BBC doesn't even show the tennis, bar Wimbledon. So why this guy has his undies in a bunch over them is beyond me.

I meant to also say that Murray beat a very in form Djokovic. Novak was every bit as good at this Open as he was in Australia this year or at the US last year. I just think Andy´s intensity level has improved allowing him to match Novak. Remember, Andy was a whisker away from making the Australian final earlier this year against a top form Novak.

For anyone who may have been wondering what Murray was looking for moments after his win, it was his Rolex watch. He needed to wear it at the presentation of the trophy. He forgot to wear it at the Wimbledon presentation and I guess he didn´t want to cock up again.

Also heard he can run 100 metres in 11 seconds, and the 400 metres in 55 seconds.

walshb wrote: »
    For anyone who may have been wondering what Murray was looking for moments after his win, it was his Rolex watch. He needed to wear it at the presentation of the trophy. He forgot to wear it at the Wimbledon presentation and I guess he didn´t want to cock up again.

Also heard he can run 100 metres in 11 seconds, and the 400 metres in 55 seconds.

His watch deal is with Rado, not Rolex. I'm not sure he'd actually signed the deal at the time of Wimbledon, and you're not allowed advertise anything during the Olympics, so I think this was the first actual opportunity he had to put on the watch.

walshb wrote: »

:eek: Where did you hear that? I know he is fast around the court but he didn't look that fast.

I'd actually love to know who is the fastest player on tour over 100m. Granted it doesn't matter one bit as running 100 metres in quick time has nothing to do with tennis fitness but it'd be intriguing. I'd think Murray/Tsonga/Monfils would be incredibly hard to beat!

That 11 seconds may or may not be true but I've seen a lotta sh1te spouted about 100m times wrt sportsmen. A paper before said Andy Sheridan the rugby player can do it in just over 11 secs! Standard rugby wingers would be just over 10 secs so that is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I don't know about 100m but I remember at the Olympics after he won gold, Andy was talking to Sue and they were saying something about Mo Farrah, and he said that on a good day he could do 400m in...... well, I forget, but that's the only time I've heard him mention exact distances and times. It's probably on youtube.

Advertisement