Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US open 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Guess this answers the question as to which Slam is "least important" to the players. Greedy sons of mothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Guess this answers the question as to which Slam is "least important" to the players. Greedy sons of mothers.

Hasn't a hope of happening I'd say. Aye shows that Aus is the perceived weakest so alright. Anyway roll on tomorrow. Hopefully no stupid scheduling problems or rain delays this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I'd have the us open and wimbledon slightly ahead of the French Open, then the Australian open in terms of prestige. I think the us open is about equal to Wimbledon now.

I'd have the us open and wimbledon slightly ahead of the French Open, then the Australian open in terms of prestige. I think the us open is about equal to Wimbledon now.

Ah now. W'don is the world championships essentially undoubtedly the best grand slam. Add in to that all the tradition and such associated with it. The only ones that might say different are ones that don't like playing on grass but if you asked fans and players nearly all would pick WImbledon

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ah now. W'don is the world championships essentially undoubtedly the best grand slam. Add in to that all the tradition and such associated with it. The only ones that might say different are ones that don't like playing on grass but if you asked fans and players nearly all would pick WImbledon

In terms of prestige and history and all that kind of stuff Wimbledon is the biggest one, but in terms of publicity and fame the US Open is probably the biggest. If only because it's in the US and they do everything on a massive scale.
    In Europe Wimbledon ranks highest because it's the one that everyone remembers watching on TV as a child, even non tennis fans would remember being out on the road with tennis rackets for a couple of weeks every summer. I remember reading an interview with Djokovic where he said the same thing went on in Serbia, or Yugoslavia as it may have been then, every summer when Wimbledon was on.
    Now that all the Slams get televised everywhere, and with internet and all sorts of other means of publicity the US Open is probably the biggest in terms of scale. They're got tonnes of sponsors and it seems like a much bigger event than Wimbledon, who have no sponsors.

They're probably on equal footing importance wise as far as the Slams go, but for very different reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

In my own mind for some reason the change of grass resulting in slower courts makes me personally view it as less prestigious than when it had fast grass. Just a subjective feeling I get about it.

The rain has started :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Early start for the rain. Doesn't usually begin until the end of first week.

Sam Stosur demolished Petric Martic earlier, 6-1, 6-1. Sam looked in great shape, no nerves at all. Hope she keeps getting better as the tournament goes on.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Early start for the rain. Doesn't usually begin until the end of first week.

Sam Stosur demolished Petric Martic earlier, 6-1, 6-1. Sam looked in great shape, no nerves at all. Hope she keeps getting better as the tournament goes on.

Stosur won the first 19 points of the first set and then double faulted :mad: what a way to blow a potential golden set! Either way good win tbh. This rain is not looking good, it's pelting down. Not promised to clear either apparently. Wednesday I know is promised desperate too. That's all well and good but cue some disastrous scheduling errors as a result :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Pity about the rain though I'm enjoying watching the highlights of last years mens final, I had forgotten how incredible some of the rallies were.

• Advertisement

Murray broken twice already :O

Bartolli getting booed by the crowd as she and Jamie Hampton warm up after their rain delay for 2nd set TB. Hampton trying to hit volleys, Bartolli not sitting them up for her, keeps hitting passing shots. Bartolli is a nut.

ANdy is really struggling on serve. Can't get first serve in. Happens far too often for my own liking.

First 4 games have been breaks of serve

Murray lost the first 2 sets in his R1 match last year. Things are going swimmingly so far for him

Murray breaks again. 4-2. Poor Bogy can't hold to save his life.

TME was that not round 2/3 vs Haase?

Sabine struggling big time :(

Andy takes the first 6-2. Bogy still hasn't held!

Murray breaks again. 4-2. Poor Bogy can't hold to save his life.

TME was that not round 2/3 vs Haase?

Aye you're right, it was R2, my bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Sabine struggling big time :(

Andy takes the first 6-2. Bogy still hasn't held!

I am shocked Liscki is out in the first round- massive upset in my opinion although to be fair hard courts arent her favourite.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I am shocked Liscki is out in the first round- massive upset in my opinion although to be fair hard courts arent her favourite.

Poor year really. So disappointing.

Andy has not turned up today...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Pretty surprised that Lisicki has been knocked out so soon. Wouldn't be too worried about Murray. He's just shaking off the rust.

Petkovic is on court now! Great to see her back..although she just lost her opening service game.

• Advertisement

Goerges out too. Bad day for the German ladies. Early days for Petko but not looking great there either.

Murray comes from 4-2 down in the second to go 2 sets to love ahead. Taylor Dent sums it up well saying it can't be easy for Bogy literally knowing you are at your opponents mercy at all times. Murray will be just relieved to get through this. Lendl doesn't look impressed... (has he ever? :D)

Great to see Petkovic back. Watson beaten by Na earlier but wasn't short of having decent chances apparently :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Murray would be finished by now if he served like he did at the Olympics, hopefully he can find it again in time for the big matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Poor year really. So disappointing.

Andy has not turned up today...

Yea he is looking a bit rusty- just lost his break in the third set but its early days. He will win this match but he has to step up his game to win this tournament.

Roger is here to win it or die trying and I sense Novak is even more desperate. He needs to take advantage of Rafa's absence and stamp his feet on the game, he has the talent and the physicality, I just hope he accompanies those with the mental strength needed to win a GS.

^ This is what Murray does in every Slam. He starts of really poorly, makes 5 setters out of matches that should be 3 setters, then plays really well in the SF but falls short and everyone wonders if he'd only won that R2 match in 3 instead of 5 would he had more in him for the SF.

Well he's done it. Not pretty at times but he'll be glad he did it in straight sets. A lot of improving to be done. Fed won't be too worried looking at that!

Masha looked good there. Came through 6-2 6-2. Don't like her dress, but that's not terribly important.

Petko lost :(

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Impressive stuff from Kvitova and Sharapova. Sad that Sabine lost so early, but she's woefully inconsistent. She's had a pretty horrible year, but I didn't realise quite how horrible. She'll drop out of the top 30 after today! I really thought she would become a top ten player this year. And what a horrible day for the Germans! They are down to just Kerber and Barthel in the ladies draw.

Barthel excites me a lot. She's pretty inconsistent, needs to add a bit of finesse to her game and also iron out the inconsistencies. But if she finds her form she could do something special in NY. It's a big ask though :)

Barthel excites me a lot. She's pretty inconsistent, needs to add a bit of finesse to her game and also iron out the inconsistencies. But if she finds her form she could do something special in NY. It's a big ask though :)

Barthel looked really promising for a month or two around IW and into start of clay season, but then just dropped off the radar a bit.

Lisicki has had a terrible year, she has been injured a lot though. If it wasn't for Wimbledon and the Olympics (being on grass) she'd probably be much further down the rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ah look at this one playing Kim Clijsters! Victoria Duval, world no.562 and aged just 16. Wow.

Poor thing is already down a break :(

Advertisement