Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what's your course?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Here lads, I'm feeling a bit down now. :( My brother told me that IT Sligo isn't an actual college, and when my granny called to see how it went she asked was I disappointed when I said I got an offer from Sligo. Now I'm worried everyone else from my year is thinking the same thing as my bro and granny and making fun of me behind my back or something. :( I mean, it's a Level 8 College and it's nationally recognized (twelfth best college in the country like) so I don't see why they'd be acting that way?

What do ye think, I was thrilled this morning but their response is making me think I should repeat. I mean, the course sounds great to me but IDK at the moment... :( I just HATE that there's some stigma with ITs, I mean NUIG students are taking the piss out of GMIT students all the time.

If you're genuinely excited about doing the course you shouldn't let other people's opinions deter you from doing it. Any classmates that would look down on you for going to an IT sound like complete a-holes to be honest. As for your granny and brother, did they think you were planning on going somewhere else? Maybe they were just surprised if they had previously thought you were planning on going to a Uni. Seriously though, my sister went to an IT for her Undergrad and a Uni for her Masters and she preferred the IT, if you think you'd be happy doing the course then you should go for it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Arts in NUIG! Not the most prestigious of courses but it's what I wanted to do so I'm delighted, got it with over 100 points to spare! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Im a bit shocked. Got 120 points over what comp systems was in UL... I thought it would rise... It dropped by 20 points :S Im so confused

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

International Law in UCC! I actually wanted Arts in UCC, but now I'm starting to get pretty excited about doing Law. Should be interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LSP

Science in Trinity :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Totally random, but i just found out that 2 people from my school are doing the same course as me. Weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LSP

Here lads, I'm feeling a bit down now. :( My brother told me that IT Sligo isn't an actual college, and when my granny called to see how it went she asked was I disappointed when I said I got an offer from Sligo. Now I'm worried everyone else from my year is thinking the same thing as my bro and granny and making fun of me behind my back or something. :( I mean, it's a Level 8 College and it's nationally recognized (twelfth best college in the country like) so I don't see why they'd be acting that way?

What do ye think, I was thrilled this morning but their response is making me think I should repeat. I mean, the course sounds great to me but IDK at the moment... :( I just HATE that there's some stigma with ITs, I mean NUIG students are taking the piss out of GMIT students all the time.

DO NOT repeat for anyone else. If you're happy with your course, who gives a sh*t what anyone else thinks? I repeated this year, absolute hell, but it was worth it because I wanted to. There's no way in hell I would do that sh*t again because someone has some stupid stigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomWN

Don't worry about your brother or granny to be honest. Your brother may just be joking, and trying to annoy you a bit, and your Granny may have thought you wanted to go to UCD or some place like that with your first choice.

There is little difference between L8 courses in UNI's and IT's. It's basically just the "designer label" on your CV. There is generally better support levels at IT's, and lecturers will probably know you by your first name and be more accessable compared to those at UNI. Most IT's also have work experience in the course as well, where as UNI's don't, so you'll have a bit of experience on your cv, and be more industry ready, which may be a good thing in the economic climate.

I know plenty of people who went to IT's and have as good a job (if not better in some cases) as those from UNI's these days.

Don't mind what other people think, and make your decision based on whats best for you. You can't please everyone else in your life with your decisions, but do what makes you happy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Lumie wrote: »
    Law and Arts, Maynooth, 1st choice, VERY excited!

After 2 years Comp science, can't wait for an essayXD

Congrats! :)
    Just FYI I just posted a summary of Law and Arts in the My College Course thread! Any Qs feel free to PM me.

Same to anyone who is doing Law in Nooth or just coming to Nooth in general! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anorexemon

Contemporary Culture and Society in DCU! WOOOP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 MollyAGoGo

English, Media and Cultural Studies in IADT! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

Engineering in Trinity! :D:D:D

The course went up by 65 points. But luckily I had plenty to spare. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 17Dan21

International Business and Spanish in DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Thanks for the advice and kind words guys, feel much better now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Calcifer88

Model making at Iadt! Waahhhoooooo!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Medicine in NUIG!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Logistics & Supply Chain Management in DIT:D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

nothing, missed by 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

Sligo is a great spot for students, try get into Clarion, thats where the party's at

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Arts in NUIG! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

this should also help you feel better, i know its on letterkenny website but it is relevent http://www.lyit.ie/news/name,3784,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I need to make a serious list of pros and cons between Psychology and Sociology in UL and Psychology in QUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

I got Computational Thinking in Maynooth :D I don't think there were many spaces so I am delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Simon8226

Primary Teaching in St. Pats :D
    Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AppetiteFor

Business, Economics and Social Studies in Trinity. Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Got Applied Physics in UL with 145 points to spare.As far as I can see nearly every course in UL decreased instead of increased.I don't know what the story is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Science in Trinity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

IT's are generally smaller and just, I don't know less.

It's always going to seem better when someone says they are going to Trinity, UCD, NUIG, UCC, DCU,UL. That's just the way it is.

But sure if it keeps you happy so be it. But there's a difference between Sligo and the locations of the aforementioned UNIVERSITIE'S locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Got Science Education in UL :D

My sister goes to GMIT and absolutely loves it, she wouldn't even think about going to a university. IT's are meant to be better for sciences as you get more "lab-time", and from my own experience of staying with the sister and going into the IT, everyone knows everyone. It's like the whole thing with people who go to Trinity are elitists. Stereotypes mean nothing. I hope you enjoy your course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Chavways wrote: »
    Got Applied Physics in UL with 145 points to spare.As far as I can see nearly every course in UL decreased instead of increased.I don't know what the story is there.

Maths and Physics in UL increased by something like 140 points!

Advertisement