Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing dinghies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

So after viewing a couple of dogs I'm still on the look out.
    It surprises me what some vendors pass as good condition.....3 holes in the hull is not good condition in my book.
    Also some vendors think its still 2005 with their asking price.....Compared to equivalent boats in the UK some people are looking for double if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Where are you based for looking OP?

Where are you based for looking OP?
    South east.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    So after viewing a couple of dogs I'm still on the look out.
    It surprises me what some vendors pass as good condition.....3 holes in the hull is not good condition in my book.
    Also some vendors think its still 2005 with their asking price.....Compared to equivalent boats in the UK some people are looking for double if not more.

Yep, that doesn't surprise me, I had to go to the UK for my last 2 boats as the choice of boats is much wider over there, does the Lark not tempt you? That one in Cork looks clean, and has been for sale for a while, maybe room for haggling;)

I have no connection with it, nor have I ever sailed a Lark, but they do get good reviews if you can find a good one. No trapeze but they do have a standard spinnaker.

You might find a few more boats coming up for sale now that we are heading into the Autumn, take your time, there's a boat out there for everyone,

Yea I do like the look of the lark.
    Might go over to the UK for a boat.....much better selection and value.
    I'll be over to the UK at some stage in the next month with the car anyway.
    I don't like traveling hundreds of km's to look at a ball of ****e though.....I've done enough o that now.
    I'm now thinking about getting 2 boats anyway lol.
    I reasonable usable dinghy and a fixer upper. I'd like a winter project in the shed.
    Im pretty handy so not fazed by some fibreglass or wood work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Would you consider building your own https://www.boatdesigns.com/Sailboats/departments/12/ I know a guy in Dublin that built a nice Glen-L 14 and put a good blog together on it http://davesboat.blogspot.ie/ If your up to a bit of restoration this is just a step up and you get a boat built the way you want it plus there is nothing like going out on the water in a boat that you built with your own hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

you could try a 'skipper 14' loads of room, very stable. you wont win any races though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

I agree with previous post - you'd be mad to tackle a 420 for general daysailing. Why do you think they have a trapeze? If you want to race, that's different.

If ease of launching is the issue go for a GP14 or Enterprise. There are plenty around. If you want a boat to stay out in all day, and take an outboard, try the Wayfarer. I have the latest Wayfarer Class Newsletter to hand and, if planning a UK trip, there's a GRP one for sale for £1700 ONO (sterling) in St ALban's complete with trailer and launch trolley (combo).

Enterprise SAiling dinghy for €800 on Afloat website today.

Talent wrote: »
    I agree with previous post - you'd be mad to tackle a 420 for general daysailing. Why do you think they have a trapeze? If you want to race, that's different.

If ease of launching is the issue go for a GP14 or Enterprise. There are plenty around. If you want a boat to stay out in all day, and take an outboard, try the Wayfarer. I have the latest Wayfarer Class Newsletter to hand and, if planning a UK trip, there's a GRP one for sale for £1700 ONO (sterling) in St ALban's complete with trailer and launch trolley (combo).
    There is such polar opposite views on dinghys on all the various websites....here is no different.

I don't particularly want to trapeze.....but I'd like to have something to work towards.
    For me, sailing is about being out on the water, having fun, getting the heart rate up every so often and admiring the coastline.
    Being slightly over the optimum crew weight or being a novice a trapezing dosnt matter. It's all about the smile factor at the end of the day :)

• Advertisement

"It's all about the smile factor at the end of the day"

Couldn't agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Stark Industries

Talent wrote: »

Why would he be mad? Have you sailed one? They're easy to sail. That's why I suggested it! GP14's he'll be bored with in a month. You don't need the trapeze, it's something to try when you're used to the boat!

Advertisement