Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing dinghies

Options
  • 19-08-2012 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Can you recommend me a sailing dinghie, something stable for 2/3 people.
    Was thinking gp14 or a flying15.
    I don't know a lot about dinghies so are there any others I should consider.
    Budget is €2,000 and I'd prefer something I can launch from a trailer easily.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

I would not consider a flying 15 easy to launch or stable for a beginner. While not unstable, they are a thoroughbred racing machine, and with a fixed keel require deeper slips and care for launching.

Perhaps a mermaid, or a wayfarer could be worth considering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

Agree with Sailordog about the Flying Fifteen - it's hard to recover after sailing, especially if the tide is low and there's not much water on the slipway.

Mermaid is a terrific boat and has a metal centreboard for stiffer sailing. However it is a clinker built timber boat with steam-bent frames and needs a bit of looking after. Normally a lick of varnish is all it needs but if you do any damage can be tricky to fix. Mermaids are usually left on moorings for two reasons. 1. they are a bit heavy to launch and recover everytime you go sailing and 2. as clinker boats, they don't like the timbers drying out and can leak for a time when they go back in the water.

GP 14 is a great little boat but a bit small for three people. Still older ones are available in very good condition for less than €2000 although they would no longer be race winners.

So, if you want a trailer sailor dinghy for 2/3 people the Wayfarer might be a better idea. Should get an older one for €2000 easily. It's lighter than the mermaid, and doesn't mind drying out. It can also take an outboard for those days you don't want to thrash to windward.

I get the impression you're not an experienced sailor; if that's the case I'd strongly recommend acquiring either a smaller set of sails or getting reefing points put in, especially on a Mermaid or Wayfarer for those windier days. Smaller sails = less force aloft and less risk of a capsize. The boats mentioned can capsize which is normally no problem if you're sailing in a club race with plenty of rescue available but out on your own in the bay it's never a great idea to go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

The problem with most dinghies is that they are designed for only 2 people, so adding in a third person can make they a bit cramped.

Of the boats already mentioned, the Wayfarer is probably your best bet as it was specifically designed as a 'day-sailor' and has a bit more space. But they are few and far between these days.

A Mermaid is certainly an option, beautiful boats but really do need to be kept on a mooring as the poster above points out.

Another option might be the Enterprise - a bit smaller than a Wayfarer and a bit lighter than a GP 14 but has no spinnaker so is very easy to sail. Bray, Greystones and Malahide sailing clubs have good fleets.

I find it extraordinary that all of the dinghies mentioned here were designed way back in the 1940s or 1950s - in the last sixty odd years, nothing has been produced to match the pure sailing characteristics of these classic boats.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I do like the mermaid's they are a great family /race boat and have quite a following plus they are made of wood :D here is there FB page http://www.facebook.com/groups/368652042044/

I met one when I was out on sat in it felt like I was back in the 50's :D

431062_352065918204144_1788355174_n.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I would include the drascombe dinghies in your hunt. http://www.drascombe-association.org.uk/drascombes.php

• Advertisement

ado100,
    I think Wayfarers are common enough - there have been a few for sale in the Dublin area recently. Apollo Duck is a good source of ads and you can also look at the class association website (full of useful information about racing and cruising Wayfarers) www.wayfarer.org.uk - click on "classifieds").

Agree with the Enterprise as an option although any dinghy can be sailed without a spinnaker.
    Mermaids also have a class association: www.dublinbaymermaid.org/ and it has a boats for sale section.

The Drascombe is a very good idea too although I think you'd be hard put to get one for €2000.

Feargal - what bit of the scene in Skerries made you think you were back in the 1950s - the Mermaid or the boat you were in?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Talent wrote: »
    ado100,

Feargal - what bit of the scene in Skerries made you think you were back in the 1950s - the Mermaid or the boat you were in?

Both boats :D

Skerries is full of Mermaids at the moment as they have been racing the past few weeks, great to see them still been built too I might have a go myself someday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Talent wrote: »

Never thought it was that, just assumed it was the haircut;):D:D

For that sort of budget (+/-€2k) you would be at the bottom end of some good cruisers - Leisure 17/18, Jaguar, Ruffian, etc., which would be a lot more comfortable for 3 adults. I agree that it would take a bit longer to rig, but not much. There is a Ruffian on DD http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/3603925 - no connection with it, nor have I seen it, but shows what is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I've always liked sailing mermaids. One of the first boats I ever sailed.

What I like best about the Wayfarer is that is designed so the mast can easily be raised (and lowered) singlehanded. It uses a swivel pin near the base of the mast although this is a modification which, I suppose, can be made to almost any boat. Biggest problem, though, might be getting a hole through the mast without wrecking it.

I think four of the Skerries SC Mermaids were home-made in the past 10 years or so and three new ones were completed in Rush this year. They all took part in the Mermaid Nationals in SSC this month.

• Advertisement

Great mother of a thunderstorm just passed over. Glad I wasn't sailing.

Reminds me of the time when, sailing with Glenans in Lough Derg on the Shannon, we were berthed in the old harbour at Garrykennedy when this roiling thunderstorm came towards us down the lake. You could see lightning strikes on islands so I decided that the safest course of action, with a metal mast, was to take shelter in the pub.

The pub was struck by lightning while we were inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Thanks lads.
    I really don't want the hassle of a timber boat.
    It will only be for 2 people really, I just said 2/3 to see if it opened up the options.

I had never sailed a dinghie up until quite recently, a Laser.....I completely loves every second of it!!!! I thought , I have to get some more of that!
    I have been mainly sailing on 30/40ft cruisers so I'm not a sailing novice, just a dinghie novice.
    I don't mind the occasional dunking I got in the laser but a more stable boat might be more practical....hence my question.
    Ruffians and leisures were mentioned above, I don't want the hase and cost of mooring a boat....I just want something simple that I can launch off the beach....and maybe race in the future.

Currently I'm leaning towards a gp14
    Any lasers I should look at???

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

A Laser 13 or 16 would be the perfect boat for you. Plenty of room in it, very stable, can be used with a small outboard, etc. It also has a spinnaker if you want a bit more performance. It would be ideal for daytrips or just messing about in and it's ideal to bring out beginners and kids.
    You'll probably struggle to get one for €2k but it might be worth pushing the budget a bit.
    There's a nice one here http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/sailing/3545902

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Stark Industries

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Any other suggestions?
    I find the GP14 a little boring. They're a grand boat to learn on, but seeing as you're a bit further on than that you could get something a little more responsive. You could do what I did and find a nice 420 for small money. Grand fibreglass boat, nice to sail and fairly difficult to capsize. You may not be all that competitive in lighter winds in a race due to the boat being mainly for fairly light crew, but with the option of a trapeze and spinnaker with them they can be a nice rewarding boat to progress with until you're ready for something quicker.

Speaking of which, I must update my original post looking for help on here with some pics!

............ You could do what I did and find a nice 420 for small money...................and fairly difficult to capsize.

I have not sailed one of those since I was a child, a long, long time ago. Sean Clune used to import them. No hope of getting three adults into one (see OP's question). Also, I never had a problem capsizing one, a regular event, and that was in the days before wetsuits were common.:D

It's really only for two.
    Would the 420 be suitable?
    They are a lovely boat, I kinda thought they were stable enough (I know no dinghys are that stable)

Thanks for the other suggestions....much appreciated.
    A laser16 was mentioned above.....they seem like a safe bet allrite but out of my price range.
    I'm max €2k and a lot less if possible.
    Having looked around a lot both physically and online and watched many many YouTube clips I know now more what I don't want than what I do want.
    Mirror....too small
    Wayfarer....timber and over budget
    Gp14.... Over budget for a good one

I want a fast fun dinghy that can also cruise around gently with herself

A golf gti of the dinghy world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Stark Industries

I have not sailed one of those since I was a child, a long, long time ago. Sean Clune used to import them. No hope of getting three adults into one (see OP's question). Also, I never had a problem capsizing one, a regular event, and that was in the days before wetsuits were common.:D
    I've sailed it with 3 in it! :) And none of us were all that small, I'm 15 stone! It's cramped alright, but possible none the less!
    Mr.Boots wrote: »
    It's really only for two.
    Would the 420 be suitable?
    They are a lovely boat, I kinda thought they were stable enough (I know no dinghys are that stable)

Thanks for the other suggestions....much appreciated.
    A laser16 was mentioned above.....they seem like a safe bet allrite but out of my price range.
    I'm max €2k and a lot less if possible.
    Having looked around a lot both physically and online and watched many many YouTube clips I know now more what I don't want than what I do want.
    Mirror....too small
    Wayfarer....timber and over budget
    Gp14.... Over budget for a good one

I want a fast fun dinghy that can also cruise around gently with herself

A golf gti of the dinghy world :)
    In our sailing club there are a few RS Visions and RS Fireballs. I've been out on the Visions a few times, and have capsized those in gusty conditions. Haven't capsized the 420 yet! The Visions are more stable than the 420 to a point, but past that point they go the rest of the way easily enough. The 420 goes way over, and then over a little more, and then water comes in, and then somehow it always seems to come back!
    I like it because it's grand to sail in light conditions, nice and responsive, and in heavier conditions you can get a chance to hike out. We've yet to master the spinnaker, but soon hopefully! Only tried it once and took a while to untangle, but we'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

How about a Lark, Light, GRP, Fast!

Probably not so suitable for cruising but nice boats.

Here's one in Cork, just above your budget:cool:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/sailing/3263944

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Termonator

I see you are leaning towards the 420, seems like a reasonable condition one here
    http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories/420-dinghy-and-trailer/2015230

Pics here
    http://fmorgan.starlightlabs.com/dinghy/420dinghy.pdf

No connection with this and cant advise on these as have no experience with them but just happened to come across it.

• Advertisement

Maybe an RS Feva - you'll pick up a decent one for around €2,000. Or for a bit more money, an RS 200?

Rs feva is way to small and a 200 is over budget

So the brief is:

• Must take 2/3 people (but probably just 2).
    • Must be GRP.
    • Must be able to launch off a beach with just two people.
    • Must be exciting to sail (spinnaker/trapeze optional)
    • Must be under €2,000.

Try:

• Laser 2 (plenty of these around)
    • 420 (10 years old+)
    • 470 (10 years old+)
    • RS Feva (small but plenty of crew space)
    • Topper ISO (if you can find one)
    • Fireball (exciting boats but you need to know what you're doing. Certainly won't get 3 in it.)
    • Lark (mostly found in the UK)

Thanks ado.
    Good summery.
    Is had thought the laser 2 was a bit tight on space?

You'll really have to decide if you want a trapeze or not to narrow the search, the Fireball + Laser 2 would not have much room in the cockpit unless the crew is out on the trapeze. 420 + 470 would be a bit better in that respect.

If you just want a hiking double hander and intend racing it then look at GP14 / Enterprise / Lark

If you only want to potter about and maybe fit an outboard for cruising look at Wayfarer / Leader (mini wayfarer) / Wanderer

Is there a suitable topper topaz? Or are they really just for kids?

Topper Topaz can take adults, but is aimed towards kids. It is really an alternative to the RS feva as both are of similar dimensions.

The Topaz has a range of different rigs, depending on whether you want to race it single handed or double handed / add a spinnaker / larger mainsail / etc, but the hull is the same - see here
    http://www.toppersailboats.com/topaz_stats.aspx

Hull would be indestructable and would be great for messing around and launching off a beach, but too small for 2 adults ( maybe 1 adult and 1 kid )

Thanks gonzo1, your a mind of information.

I think the 420 is still top of the list.

No problem, glad to help:)

The best advice would be to try out as many different classes that you can, have you tried any of the dinghy sailing clubs in your area. Most clubs would have ex-training boats or club boats for sale that would not be advertised on donedeal or apolloduck that they would be glad to offload ...€2000 will get you a fine boat, but try a few different boats before committing,

420 is a fine boat, and there does seem to be a good few for sale on apolloduck at the moment.

• Advertisement

I've sailed it with 3 in it! :) And none of us were all that small, I'm 15 stone! It's cramped alright, but possible none the less! .....................in heavier conditions you can get a chance to hike out.
    Good luck to you, rather you than me! Three adults in a 420 is bordering on dangerous. From memory the ideal total crew weight is 15-20 stone. (It was an issue on heavy days, some competitive kids had fat(er) girlfriends:o )
    I would rather not be out in a 420 in weather that required a 15 stone crew out on a trapeze:D

Advertisement