Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

How many GM's haven't swung and missed on two QB's though? Each year we needed to find a QB and realistically we were never going to get much better. Certainly with Schuab. If we started this off-season with just Carr and McGloin as our QB's it would have been a terrible mistake on Reggie's part.

Matt Flynn got a big contract with Seattle before going to you guys, and they also traded if I recall a second rounder for Charlie Clipboard Jesus Whitehurst - I don't think it should be too big a deal unless perhaps one (or certainly two) went high in the first round of the draft.

I guess I misread the situation over the veterans with the front loaded contracts also, so not such a worry after all - and to be honest guys like Tuck, and even Shaub, should be very handy to have around for Mack, Carr and the likes to learn under.

I posted in the week 12 draft also that if one or two of the top QBs pick up a tonne of hype and stock between now and the draft, things could get interesting. Carr is never going to be elite in my opinion but I have liked the look of him - he shows as much, if not more, poise than any other rookie from what I have seen and has a pretty cool and collected demeanour. I think Bottles has the highest ceiling of the bunch this year but has a good bit of work to do, whereas I think Carr (all g with Bridgewater) could get to about the level of a Joe Flacco or maybe slightly higher, which isn't bad at all. So just curious... would you guys prefer to take a QB built up to be the next Andrew Luck" in such a situation, or would you prefer to trade down and do something similar to what the Rams did on the RGIII trade (doubt you would get as much in return in terms of picks, but from that they have picked up Greg Robinson, Alec Ogletree, Stedman Bailey, Zac Stacy, Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins and Isaiah Pead)?

This is of course on the assumption that you do t go on a winning streak from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If there was a next Andrew Luck in this draft it would be a very hard decision but there isn't so it's not much worry about. Moriata and Winston might be hyped a lot but there no where close to Luck as a prospect. Ideally we'd traded down and pick up another high second this year and another first next year. If that happened I'd be very happy.

I really like how this draft is looking. There aren't many super elite talents but it's got a lot of really really good players. If stayed top 8 while picking up an extra second it would be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I'm with Chucky on this, I would love us to trade down and get more picks. Historically the Raiders havent drafted that well (the amount of 1st round busts we have had over the years is scary), last year was one of the best drafts we've had in years. But maybe we are turning the corner on that.

I'm with Chucky on this, I would love us to trade down and get more picks. Historically the Raiders havent drafted that well (the amount of 1st round busts we have had over the years is scary), last year was one of the best drafts we've had in years. But maybe we are turning the corner on that.

If Hayden can stay healthy he also looks like he could be a very good player, at least a solid starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Wow, what a 4th quarter, congrats Raiders. Was shaking with nerves those last two minutes and I'm not even a fan, at least I don't think I am :eek:
    Will Woodson play next year? Presume he will, he looks in great shape. There are some very decent players on the roster. I would agree with trading down ( it's almost always the right decision if in doubt) unless one of the QBs suddenly sets himself apart massively. Quite a few of the "bad" teams took QBs last year though. It might be harder to get great value trading down this time round perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

It looks certain that Tony Sparano will not be head coach of the Raiders next season, with speculation that the Raiders are looking for a 'superstar' candidate to replace him.

Jon Gruden has been mentioned as a candidate and might like the job, but he might want total control(acting as general manager and head coach) and he hasn't shown that GMing is his greatest strength, in that his Superbowl win was achieved with an inherited roster. Former coaches Hue Jackson and Tom Cable have also been mentioned as possibilities, but possibly both come with too much baggage.

But, rumours continue to spread that Jim Harbaugh may be leaving the 49ers and that the Raiders offer the only opportunity to remain an NFL head coach within the Bay Area. So my question is, given that Harbaugh is under contract with the 49ers and they are unlikely to let him go to another NFL team for free, what, if anything, would you offer the 49ers to get Harbaugh ? Assuming that Harbaugh was willing to join the Raiders.

Personally, much as I'd like to see Harbaugh in Oakland, the Raiders roster is pretty thin after a decade or more of poor drafts and while the last 2 drafts showed promise, i don't think they can afford to trade away any of their top picks, they need them too badly. So if the 49ers wanted more than a 5th round pick, then I'd call their bluff and look elsewhere.

Is Harbaugh the right man to succeed Sparano ? and if so what would you offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

heyjude wrote: »
    It looks certain that Tony Sparano will not be head coach of the Raiders next season, with speculation that the Raiders are looking for a 'superstar' candidate to replace him.

Jon Gruden has been mentioned as a candidate and might like the job, but he might want total control(acting as general manager and head coach) and he hasn't shown that GMing is his greatest strength, in that his Superbowl win was achieved with an inherited roster. Former coaches Hue Jackson and Tom Cable have also been mentioned as possibilities, but possibly both come with too much baggage.

But, rumours continue to spread that Jim Harbaugh may be leaving the 49ers and that the Raiders offer the only opportunity to remain an NFL head coach within the Bay Area. So my question is, given that Harbaugh is under contract with the 49ers and they are unlikely to let him go to another NFL team for free, what, if anything, would you offer the 49ers to get Harbaugh ? Assuming that Harbaugh was willing to join the Raiders.

Personally, much as I'd like to see Harbaugh in Oakland, the Raiders roster is pretty thin after a decade or more of poor drafts and while the last 2 drafts showed promise, i don't think they can afford to trade away any of their top picks, they need them too badly. So if the 49ers wanted more than a 5th round pick, then I'd call their bluff and look elsewhere.

Is Harbaugh the right man to succeed Sparano ? and if so what would you offer ?

The 9ers will probably expect a first round pick as the bare minimum to open negotiations, and a few teams will offer it.

I believe the 49ers and the Browns were in talks last year about this very issue, so at least it seems that the 49ers are willing to do business. I'm not in favour of the perennial "Gruden to Oakland" option. Chucky hasnt coached in years and it will probably end up like Art Shell all over again. Listening to Raiders fans on forums talk about "our guy" and that the return of Gruden will be like the return of the Prodigal Son is sickening to be honest. I'd rather unearth a new talent or a Superstar coach who is currently employed, not a "retread". I just dont think it would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Charles Woodson declared last month he wants to return next season.

I saw his highlights against the Chiefs and he got huge praise. I've not heard much about him during other weeks.

Do fans want him to return for 2015? :)

@ Mikemac1, Personally there is still something left in the tank for him to contribute. He is playing as well as anyone else on the current Defense and his absence would, I feel, hurt the team.

Great win last night, so now we know what they can potentially do, its nice to see.

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »

I saw his highlights against the Chiefs and he got huge praise. I've not heard much about him during other weeks.

Definitely. It's been one of our best players on defense this year and he hasn't look like slowing down as the season has gone on either.

mikemac1 wrote: »

Despite his age, he's definitely been one of the best players on D, he's still motivated, enthusiastic, in good shape and so, if he wants to come back for another year I'm sure they'd have him back. I think the fact that, at the age of 38 and coming to the end of a Hall of Fame career, he was still prepared to field punts a couple of weeks ago, shows his true character.

What did ye think of the win, lads?

What did ye think of the win, lads?

We looked brilliant. But considering how horrendous we were last week I'm not sure if it's us or the 49ers giving up on their season/Harbaugh. They looked terrible and Kapernick is starting to turn into a bust.

Next week will be a big game in terms of getting some consistency going. We came off the back our last win by giving up 52 points, will we do the same next weekend? God only knows with this team.

I dont rate our chances too much, to be honest. I think that the Chiefs in Kansas is an unlikely win for us in our current state. But if we can keep it to within one or two scores, then I think that we can view the last two weeks as an upward curve.

Despite how the season has turned out the Raiders have got to be happy with how their first two draft picks last May, have played in their rookie seasons.

Derek Carr has 20 TD passes(after 15 games) and the only rookies with more TDs in their rookie season since the merger are Peyton Manning, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Jim Kelly and Cam Newton, which is pretty exclusive company.

While first round pick Khalil Mack, would have been the first player taken overall if the draft was redone now according to NFL Network pundits, has 82 tackles (57 solo, 25 assists), four sacks, five passes defensed and one forced fumble, is the highest rated 4-3 outside linebacker both overall and in run defense according to Pro Football Focus. Mack is also currently second among defensive players in “stuffs” with 11.5 tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage, according to STATS, INC. He was also named ESPN’s “NFL Live” Midseason Defensive Rookie of the Year on November 4, 2014 and was named to NFL.com’s midseason All-Rookie team on October 28, 2014.

With Justin Ellis, Gabe Jackson and TJ Carrie also playing well it bodes well for the future, as does the form of second year players Latavius Murray and Mychel Rivera. Its also been good to see DJ Hayden finally get some game time after his injury woes.

I don't know if the stories that were circulating from mid-season onwards, about the Raiders looking to sign a 'superstar' coach were actually sourced within the team or just made up by the media hacks, for something to say, but whatever the source, it seems to have backfired on the team.

Jim Harbaugh was presumably that 'superstar' coach and now that he is no longer available the field of potential candidates has thinned considerably.

The media line was that the team were looking for looking for a coach with previous NFL head coaching experience, which if true eliminates all the coordinators that are being linked with head coaching vacancies(though they have reportedly interviewed Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell). Jon Gruden isn't coming out of retirement, neither is Tony Dungy and despite his connections with Reggie McKenzie, I can't see Mike Holmgren coming out of retirement either.

So of the names being linked to the Raiders at present, that leaves Eagles OC Pat Shumur(who posted a 9-23 record as Browns head coach) and Eric Mangini(who posted a 23-26 record as head coach with the Jets and 10-22 record as Browns head coach). I'd be very lukewarm about either of them, even allowing for the talent levels of the teams they coached. Rex Ryan would be the best option as he'd build a great defence and attract defensive free agents that mightn't otherwise be attracted to Oakland, though he would need a top offensive coordinator to ensure that Derek Carr develops into a top QB. Rex is likely to go elsewhere though as he seems to have the pick of the vacancies, so if Rex isn't available maybe Jack Del Rio might be a option or if they opt for someone without previous head coaching experience, then Pep Hamilton, the Colts OC who has worked successfully with Andrew Luck, might be worth a try. I don't think Tony Sparano will get the opportunity as the team are looking for a new stadium deal and Sparano doesn't seem to offer the prospect of a quick turnaround in fortune, that they are probably looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Would love to see Rex as HC of the Raiders. I think it could make for a fascinating narrative as his personality matches the old bravado of successful Raiders' teams plus I think he is a damn good coach that would help drag them out of the doldrums and have a chance at relevance once more. Especially considering some of the young talent drafted in recent years. Unfortunately it seems more likely Rex will head to Atlanta. :(

I'd prefer to see Jack Del Rio in charge to be honest.

Mike shannan interviewed for the job. That would certainly be an interesting hire...

• Advertisement

Now that would be news......... Would the fans get behind him though?

Now that would be news......... Would the fans get behind him though?

It would be a rocky start but at the end of the day if he wins games no one would care. If he's struggling though the knives would be out in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭golfball37

I'd prefer to see Jack Del Rio in charge to be honest.

You got your wish it seems .

There's no announcement yet, golfball, although it appears that Sparano has already been told that he is out of the running. Bleacher report is already speculating that Mike Smith is Del Rio's preferred choice for Defensive Co-ordinator. I wonder if he will retain Greg Olsen? I suppose we will know later today. I'm not a fan of Rex Ryan or Shanahan so I'm relieved neither of those two got it, we shall see how Del Rio turns out.

A big load of meh really. Could have been better(Rex Ryan), could have been worse(Sparano).

He's not the most exciting candidate, I grant you that. Be interesting to see who he brings in as his Co-ordinators.

He's not the most exciting candidate, I grant you that. Be interesting to see who he brings in as his Co-ordinators.

The choice of co-ordinators will be critical, he needs an offensive coordinator and QB coach that can ensure Derek Carr's continued development into a genuine franchise QB, thereby unleasing his undoubted potential, while on defence I think he needs a defensive coordinator that is both aggressive in his schemes and able to fully utilise and develop the playmaking abilities of Sio Moore and Khalil Mack. In a division with experienced QBs like Peyton Manning(if he returns), Philip Rivers and Alex Smith, the team has got to get better at pressuring opposing QBs if they are to contend.

As to the choice of Del Rio himself, he is from Northern California, his parents are Raiders season ticket holders and by all accounts he really wanted the job, so hopefully that passion will show and bring rewards to the team. In addition, having had considerable previous head coaching experience, he has the advantage of knowing how to assemble a coaching staff and can hopefully avoid some of the pitfalls that beset first time head coaches. Del Rio as an experienced former head coach may also have greater influence at draft time regarding picks. Its interesting to note that general manager Reggie McKenzie and new head coach Jack Del Rio are both former NFL linebackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭golfball37

He brought Jacksonville to the play offs twice so I'm sure he has a good idea of what's required in Oakland at the moment.

heyjude wrote: »
    The choice of co-ordinators will be critical, he needs an offensive coordinator and QB coach that can ensure Derek Carr's continued development into a genuine franchise QB, thereby unleasing his undoubted potential, while on defence I think he needs a defensive coordinator that is both aggressive in his schemes and able to fully utilise and develop the playmaking abilities of Sio Moore and Khalil Mack. In a division with experienced QBs like Peyton Manning(if he returns), Philip Rivers and Alex Smith, the team has got to get better at pressuring opposing QBs if they are to contend.

As to the choice of Del Rio himself, he is from Northern California, his parents are Raiders season ticket holders and by all accounts he really wanted the job, so hopefully that passion will show and bring rewards to the team. In addition, having had considerable previous head coaching experience, he has the advantage of knowing how to assemble a coaching staff and can hopefully avoid some of the pitfalls that beset first time head coaches. Del Rio as an experienced former head coach may also have greater influence at draft time regarding picks. Its interesting to note that general manager Reggie McKenzie and new head coach Jack Del Rio are both former NFL linebackers.
    You're right heyJude, the choice of co-ordinators will be crucial. Del Rio will live or die by them. I think the Offensive Co-Ordinator will be the more important of the two, given JDR's defensive pedigree. There's some strong candidates out there, would love to see Trestman get the job. Yes, he wasnt a success in Chicago, but he is still a good coach and is known for developing Quarterbacks. Just what Carr needs at the mo. One worry for me though is Del Rio's philosophy. Defense and strong Running Game. That's fine but one of our biggest needs is Wide receiver. I'm sure that our 1st Pick will be a Defensive Lineman, I just hope that the WR position wont be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What's the opinion of Jason Tarver among Raiders fans?

Being touted as the new 49er DC.

Advertisement