Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Glad to see that Reggie McKenzie managed to get something for Terrelle Pryor, even if it was only a 7th round pick.

I know that the Seahawks are the Superbowl champs and have a far stronger roster, but if Pryor wanted out of Oakland after Schaub was signed, as he wants to be a starter, then what are his chances of beating Russell Wilson and Tarvaris Jackson to become starting QB with the Seahawks ?

The third choice QB in Oakland may see more action this coming season than the 3rd choice in Seattle and that's assuming that Pryor beats out BJ Daniels for the job as 3rd choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Could have been a lot worse considering who we had to play. Impossible to try an predict when we have such a different team.

Bl8aMDwCUAAm8b8.jpg

Travel wise, the first four games are brutal with flights coast to coast to play the New York Jets in week one, then a home game followed by another flight coast to coast in week three to play the New England Patriots, back to Oakland after the game and then flying from Oakland to London a couple of days later for the game against Miami. Although its a bit early, just as well the bye week follows the Miami game, after all that travel.

Having to travel to Seattle to face the Seahawks and finishing the season with an away game in Denver will also be challenging.

I'm wondering if we'll go straight from Texans and stay in the Boston area for the week and then fly straight to London and spend the week there? Would be pretty annoying for the players being in hotels during that time but the back and forth will be extremely tiring.

I'm wondering if we'll go straight from Texans and stay in the Boston area for the week and then fly straight to London and spend the week there? Would be pretty annoying for the players being in hotels during that time but the back and forth will be extremely tiring.

I was thinking that too, but they probably wouldn't have the video and training facilities etc there to enable the team to prepare for the Miami game, so between Sat 20th Sept and Sep 28th the team will fly: Oakland → Boston → Oakland → London → Oakland. There can't have been many instances when a team has been expected to fly such distances in such a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭golfball37

Matt Schaub's first home game would just have to be against Houston of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Last time he played in Oakland was the game following Al Davis's death, no?

Last time he played in Oakland was the game following Al Davis's death, no?

The game between the Raiders and Texans, played the day after Al Davis's death was actually played in Houston in 2011.

Last years game was also played in Houston, so the last time he played in Oakland was in 2010.

Rumors have been circulating for several weeks that a number of teams may be interested in trading up in next weeks' 2014 draft, with the Bills, Giants and 49ers all being mentioned. There seems to be some concensus that the draft features four elite players(Clowney, Robinson, Watkins and Mack) and that after that there is a drop-off, though overall this years draft is pretty deep in most positions,though possibly not featuring an elite quarterback prospect.

In recent days ESPN's Chris Mortensen has reported that the 49ers could be "very aggressive" in the draft and could be looking to move up to the Raiders 5th spot(to possibly grab wr Mike Evans), with the Raiders seemingly being willing trade partners. The Rams were also mentioned as potential trade partners, but trading up to 2nd spot would be even more costly and the 49ers would hardly want to give a divisional rival so many extra draft picks.

The 49ers have 11 draft picks and few real weaknesses on their roster, so packaging up their picks to move up may make sense, while the Raiders have 7 picks(1 in each of the first four rounds and 3 seventh round picks), so should the Raiders trade their 1st round pick with the 49ers, taking the 49ers 1st round pick(30th), one or both of the 49ers second round picks, possibly two of the 49ers three third round picks and maybe some other lower round picks ? or should they stay at the 5th spot and take the best player available or does it depend on whether one of the four 'elite' players is still available(ie. could you turn down the chance to take Clowney,Mack, Robinson or Watkins ?)

I suppose it kind of comes down to whether you think it would be better to take one player expected to be a superstar playmaker or do you swap that for perhaps 3/4 additional picks in the opening three rounds in what it regarded as a deep draft. Personally I don't think the Raiders are just one player from contending so trading down if such a mega package was offered would appeal, even though it would involve a huge drop down in the first round. Going into next season with maybe 7 players from the top three rounds of the draft would represent a big infusion of new talent across numerous positions and also give the team plenty of young players to build the team on.

I would also be in favour of trading down for multiple picks. The team's roster has improved, no question. But even if we got Mack or Clowney, they are only one player and we arent in a position where one gamechanger will transform us. We would still have deficiencies in other areas. Getting an additional 2 or 3 lower round picks would definitely help.

• Advertisement

With the draft just a few days away and with no clear picture as to who the Raiders would ideally like to pick or even which position they would like to fill.

Here's a list of the Raiders last first round picks in each of the respective positions:

Quarterback - (2007) JaMarcus Russell
    Running Back - (2008) Darren McFadden
    Tight End - (1996) Rickey Dudley
    Wide Receiver - (2009) Darrius Heyward-Bey
    Offensive Tackle (2004) Robert Gallery
    Offensive Guard/Center - (1967) Gene Upshaw

Defensive End - (1990) Anthony Smith
    Defensive Tackle - (1997) Darrell Russell
    Linebacker - (2010) Rolando McClain
    Safety - (2006) Michael Huff
    Cornerback - (2013) DJ Hayden

Kicker - (2000) Sebastian Janikowski
    Punter - (1973) Ray Guy

It pretty much illustrates where the teams' problems started, with none of the listed offensive/defensive players drafted in the past 15 years having really justified their first round status(and the first round draftees not listed are equally uninspiring). It also shows that the Raiders have rarely used first round picks on their defensive line, haven't used a first round pick on a center or guard since 1967 and the only wide receiver they have drafted in the first round since Tim Brown in 1988, was Heyward-Bey in 2009 :( Maybe that will change this year.

On the trade down. I'd want a future first to trade down with the 49ers. While it a very deep class the chances of finding a very good player in the late first and mid secound rounds are still pretty slim. Would prefer to trade down with Lions and pick in the top 10 and add a higher second round pick.

On the trade down. I'd want a future first to trade down with the 49ers. While it a very deep class the chances of finding a very good player in the late first and mid secound rounds are still pretty slim. Would prefer to trade down with Lions and pick in the top 10 and add a higher second round pick.

Trading down with the Lions, picking in the top ten and adding a high second round pick would be okay, so long as the Lions aren't targetting the same players that the Raiders are. I saw a crazy rumour yesterday that the 49ers might package Aldon Smith with some draft picks to move up to the fifth spot, but while Smith is a great player, he has so many off the field issues along with the possibility of a lengthy suspension, that I couldn't see anyone trading for him or McKenzie wanting him in the Raider locker room.

Draft Day!!! The day when our glorious team normally makes a monumental gaff and manages to overreach on at least 2 picks, thereby denying us the chance to climb out of the hole we perpetually find ourselves in.

Once it's not Manziel at 5 I be unlikely to break anything....

We badly need playmakers, so take Clowney, Mack or Watkins if they are available, otherwise trade back a few spots and take Aaron Donald.

I agree taking Manziel would be too big a risk and while Robinson,Matthew or Lewan might be touted as solid low risk picks, I remember Robert Gallery's praises being sung loudly when he was drafted and how we were told that he would be one of the top left tackles for the next decade, only for him to end up at guard. We need players that can change the game on offence or defence and offensive linemen(while necessary) don't do that.

Of course taking the highest rated player at a position isn't any guarantee of success either, in 2007 when Jamarcus Russell was picked, Russell and Brady Quinn were seen as the only QBs of first round quality and both were expected to go in the top ten, yet while both went in the first round neither was a success. Gallery was the top OT when he was picked, Rolando McClain was the top linebacker going into the 2010 draft and Michael Huff, the top safety going into the 2006 draft.

I think we are due a top pick who actually turns into the NFL player that he was forecast to be when drafted.

They'll be delighted with Mack

And the chance to pick up Derek Carr too, and there are still WR's out there. this might be a good draft for our team.

Like the Mack pick. Disappointed we didn't trade up for Bridgewater. Not sure how I'd feel about Carr, I understand it's probably a good value spot but I don't really rate him and there are still some excellent players available.

Not too sure about Carr, I hope he develops into the top QB that the so called draft gurus seem to think. But I wonder where the inspiration for picking a QB so early comes from, with Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen being told they have to win now or else, I would have thought they'd have preferred to go for an immediate impact player, which barring injury to Matt Schaub, Derek Carr won't be. You have to figure that Mark Davis wants a franchise QB in place and may have influenced this pick.

Gabe Jackson sounds like a solid pick, he was a 4 year starter in college, was listed as a 2/3 round talent and should slot in immediately at left guard, where he should be a huge asset in goal line situations. Being able to trade down a few spots, pick Jackson and get another pick in the 4th round makes sense too.

• Advertisement

It was interesting, though perhaps not surprising, to see that the Raiders have signed Notre Dame running back George Atkinson III, son of former great George Atkinson, as an undrafted free agent.

He'll find it hard to climb a depth chart that includes Maurice Jones Drew, Darren McFadden and Latavius Murray, but may challenge Korey Sheets especially since Atkinson is supposed to be a pretty useful kick returner.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

You just picked up as bad a pair of hands as there is on the waiver wire in Little. I had serious hopes for him. Never to be. Says a lot that Cleveland drop him when WR is a big need.

Surprised he was picked up so fast. Guy is an asshole too. Always good for 5 yard penalty.

Not expecting much from him at all, but our WR corps aren't exactly great so no harm in picking him up. Relatively cheap as well.

RIP James Garner, one of my favourite actors and a diehard Raider fan, who died over the weekend.

He used to be on the sidelines during Raider games in the 1980s and is pictured here with Todd Christensen(who passed away last November).

Cool jersey featuring Garner here too.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24629456/look-james-garner-who-died-at-86-was-a-huge-raiders-fan

I heard before that due to Garner's influence, his character, Jim Rockford, was also a Raider fan, but couldn't find any confirmation for that.

There is a report on NFL.com that while in San Antonio, Texas, to honour Cliff Branch on his induction into the PVILCA, Raiders owner Mark Davis met with city officials to discuss the possibility of a potential move.

Davis has always said that his favoured option for the future, is for the team to remain in Oakland and that he has $400m to part fund a new stadium, so maybe this is just a negotiating tactic to turn up the heat in Oakland / Northern California or maybe it was an opportunity to touch bases with parties from San Antonio, while he was there.

I couldn't see Jerry Jones(Dallas Cowboys) or Bob McNair(Houston Texans) being too enthusiastic about another NFL team moving into Texas, but the size and population of the state would be sufficient for one.

Full story: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000371203/article/raiders-mark-davis-met-with-san-antonio-city-officials

I cant see this being a runner. Jerry Jones is a close personal friend of the Davis family. To me, this is more of a negotiating Tactic. I would attach more credence to the reports if it was for Los Angeles. Much bigger market and they have a history there. San Antonio Raiders????? Eugh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

I have to say Carr impressed me against the Seahawks. I know it's only the preseason but he showed a lot of promise in terms of making quick reads and executing a variety of throws.

Lirange wrote: »
    I have to say Carr impressed me against the Seahawks. I know it's only the preseason but he showed a lot of promise in terms of making quick reads and executing a variety of throws.

As you say it was only preseason, but thats all we have to judge any rookie by so far and it hasn't stopped the so called experts making judgements about the other highly drafted QBs - Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel. We also don't know whether we have signed the Matt Schaub who was one of the top ten QBs in the year pre-2013 or the Matt Schaub that played so poorly last year that Houston ended up with the leagues' worst record, resulting in them trading him. Based on their preseason play, Carr seems to have outperformed Schaub, but there is a big difference between preseason and its vanilla defences and week one of the regular season, when a rookie QB will face regular blitz packages.

Schaub has looked short of confidence and arm strength, but obviously has a huge edge in experience, while Carr has the greater arm strength and confidence.

Dennis Allen is remaining coy about who his starter is, possibly to keep the Jets guessing, possibly to keep the fans quiet and possibly to deflect any criticism of the decision to sign Schaub (who would possibly be the leagues' highest paid backup). Dennis Allen and to a lesser extent Reggie McKenzie have to win or at least compete this season, so they might feel that an experienced QB like Schaub offers less risk, but if Schaub does start next week, it might not be long before Carr gets his chance.

Personally, if they can get the running game established and play sound defence, I'd go with Carr as Schaub hasn't shown anything to make you want to choose him and so long as you're not throwing Carr to the wolves, he offers much more upside. But at this stage neither QB is Peyton Manning, so they can't afford to fall way behind and expect either to lead them back, but if they can keep the games close, then Carr should start.

Carr has already shown more promise than the last few QBs that the Raiders drafted, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

heyjude wrote: »
    Carr has already shown more promise than the last few QBs that the Raiders drafted, so fingers crossed.

It looks like he's going to get the call much sooner than expected. I hope this isn't too soon. But he has looked very promising.

• Advertisement

Allen and McKenzie have to go for broke. They have the sword of damocles hanging over them, in the most competitive division and they have one of the toughest schedules in the league this year. If your rookie is performing better than your incumbent then at least try him out.

Advertisement