Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

McKenize will stay, pretty confident of that. This year's draft will be a big saving grace for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

The Tony Sparano/Greg Olson era begins.........forgive me if I'm not jumping with joy. Nor am I jumping with joy with the prospect of the Chucky era pt 2. 10 years out of the game..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The Tony Sparano/Greg Olson era begins.........forgive me if I'm not jumping with joy. Nor am I jumping with joy with the prospect of the Chucky era pt 2. 10 years out of the game..... :(

With Sparano now appointed as interim head coach, I'm not jumping for joy either, though the other in house candidates also weren't too inspiring.

I didn't think Dennis Allen would lead the team to the promised land, but given that the past two years have been spent tearing the roster apart to sort out the salary cap issues and thereby having to field essentially a no-star team, I think it was unfair on Allen to blame him too much for the past two 4-12 seasons. However, this season they recruited a number of high profile free agents and seemingly had their strongest draft class in many years, yet the same problems continued to dog them, which Allen and McKenzie must share responsibility for. I wouldn't give the players a free pass either, some of the tackling/blocking against the Dolphins was abysmal and for an NFL player, the fundamentals of sound tackling/blocking should be second nature.

I hope that John Gruden isn't given the job, I think he would want total control of over personnel decisions and I'm not sure he's that great a personnel man, his Superbowl win being a product of taking over a defensively loaded Tampa team assembled by Tony Dungy and of facing a Raiders team that was still running the same offence that Gruden himself had installed in Oakland :(

I hope that Sparano kicks some ass and knocks some heads together before their next game or they might end up with the first pick in next years draft (and possibly go 0-16)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭golfball37

Was there on Sunday for my sins, something had to give. Some of the players didn't try a leg.
    Reckon Tony will give starting spot to Schaub pretty soon.

What's depressing about all of this, is that the roster is not loaded with talent, apart from Mack and Carr, 2 fine acquisitions. We are in the same shape as post SuperBowl, where we were stacked with older players, the difference this time is that we havent just had a run at a Superbowl!!! There's turmoil on the field, in the backoffice, there's even potentially no stadium next season!!! Right, need to stop, I keep this up and I'll be in tears :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Nice to see Sparano burying the ball, I guess this is practice for the Chargers game, bury the ball once we get our first possession and hope that Rivers and the Chargers can't find it. I'd have said at the start of the season that this would be a banker Win but having watched the Chargers take the Jets apart, I can only hope that the bolts suffer from a large dose of overconfidence on Sunday.

Having said that, its a home game, and we did a job on them last year, so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Nice to see Sparano burying the ball, I guess this is practice for the Chargers game, bury the ball once we get our first possession and hope that Rivers and the Chargers can't find it. I'd have said at the start of the season that this would be a banker Win but having watched the Chargers take the Jets apart, I can only hope that the bolts suffer from a large dose of overconfidence on Sunday.

Having said that, its a home game, and we did a job on them last year, so who knows.

Love it... Yeah I'm trusting we don't overlook you like we did last yr. No doubt you'll get a new HC bounce but provided we show up I don't believe yee have the players yet to compete.

I have to think McCoy will not for 1 minute allow any complacency this Sunday, roll on, it's #raiderweek.

Oh and Derek Cox is gone... he was toasted in this fixture last yr. Our corners are massively improved with addition of Flowers and Verrett.

San Diego are my early tip for AFC conference champions. I won't overreact should we lose badly this Sunday.

golfball37 wrote: »
    San Diego are my early tip for AFC conference champions. I won't overreact should we lose badly this Sunday.

I see those ridiculous power rankings (total waste of time imho) have us No. 1. If these are meant to suggest that someone (a pundit) thinks SD are the best team in the NFL then what is the point?

For the record I reckon were we to play Denver 10 times on a neutral site they'd win 6 of em. We might split with Seattle in a similar scenerio and that is not to say not one other team in the league can beat us, of course they can. Examples might be Dallas and San Fran and maybe Indy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Shocked to see Nick Roach still suffering from concussion moved to IR. Hope he can recover.

• Advertisement

Tristram wrote: »
    Shocked to see Nick Roach still suffering from concussion moved to IR. Hope he can recover.

He's been a huge loss to the defence especially against the run, but to see a player still suffering the effects of a concussion nearly 7 weeks later is very disturbing and may even mean that his career is over.

Looks likely (whether Roach can return next season or not) that the Raiders will be in the market for one/two middle linebackers in the off-season, as Miles Burris is an outside linebacker and the roster doesn't seem to have any other candidates to start in the middle.

Jaysus lads what a game. You've got to be pleased with what Derek Carr is showing you along with some of the receivers (allowing for the drops). Hope u can continue like that and play at such a high level against Broncos week 10.

Good to see DMC running with some burst too albeit against an awful SD run D performance.

Did u know Jason Verrett has been a Raider fan all his life, ironic that he was the one to finish it.

Well at least we showed up this week. Carr is looking like a good quarterback and the offense looked much better yesterday. How much of that is down to impressing the new head coach is anyone's guess. We'll know next week. Defense was ripped apart, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

That was a tough one to lose - need to play to that level for the rest of the year. Even with that don't see too many better opportunities to get a win - Schedule is brutal this year!

Al may be gone but the NFL (website at least) still aren't showing much love for the Raiders.

The nominees for the NFL Rookie of the Week for last weekend are:

Brandan Oliver - 124yds from Scrimmage(101yds rushing, 23yds passing)and one TD(a 1yd run) against Oakland

Davante Adams - 6 receptions for 77yds against Miami

Isaiah Crowell - 77yds rushing plus a TD against Pittsburgh

Bradley Roby - 3 solo tackles, a sack and 2 passes defensed against NY Jets

Dontae Johnson - a 20yd Interception return against St Louis(not a single tackle made)

Yet Raiders rookie QB Derek Carr had 282yds passing for 4 touchdowns and an interception against San Diego(QB rating 107.7 against the league's 3rd rated defence going into the game) and wasn't even named as a nominee for Rookie of the Week, but Dontae Johnson made the list for a single play!!

Apart from the traditional emnity of the league towards the Raiders, the only other explanation is that all the nominated players were on winning teams, but isn't Rookie of the Week/Season supposed to be an award for individual achievement or have they changed it ? I'd have to say the stats for several of this week's nominees are pretty modest and Carr must be a little puzzled that 6 receptions for 77yds by a wide receiver is considered better than 282yds passing and 4 TDs by a quarterback.

I think having the W is probably a minimum requirement.

Not much to talk about at the moment is there? ;)

Watched the match last night. Offensively we were awful, BUT, Carr is the real deal. Provided he is allowed to develop. He shows bravery and poise in the pocket. He threw some poor passes but it would be helpful if the receivers or Running Backs stepped up.
    They should start Latavius Murray at RB. McFadden and Jones-Drew are yesterdays men. No ability to run to daylight or break tackles.
    Defense was virtually crying to be let off the field. They kept the Chargers out most drives but were back playing virtually 4 plays later. And this also goes back to a lack of running game. Its not working, try Murray out. How worse could he actually make it.

Does Reggie survive if we go 0-16? Hard to see it but I think it would be a mistake to let him go.

As you say Prefab Murray needs to start now. If we can get a running game going we'll have a chance in game as our defense has been performing quite well of late. We have a chance next week against the chiefs, it will be tough though. Second last game against the Bills will be our best hope for a win though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Hard work staying up and watching the games at the moment, the D is playing well but they can't win us the games, the offense has got to start playing. I'm not convinced on Carr as a starter at the moment, hes not losing us games, but hes not winning us games either. With the cautious approach Sparano is taking with Carr and our passing game, teams are coming out against us and playing heavy against the rush as they know we're highly unlikely to hurt them with our passing game. That's the problem as I see it, I don't think its an issue with our RB's.

Take the kid gloves off the passing game, and go at teams with it so the rushing game has a chance. And if that doesn't work with Carr, put Schaub in.

No way I'm staying up and watching the game late on Thursday night, so I'd say there's a 99% chance of us playing well and perhaps even winning. Might be worth a cheeky bet actually.

Does Reggie survive if we go 0-16? Hard to see it but I think it would be a mistake to let him go.

As you say Prefab Murray needs to start now. If we can get a running game going we'll have a chance in game as our defense has been performing quite well of late. We have a chance next week against the chiefs, it will be tough though. Second last game against the Bills will be our best hope for a win though.
    I'm in a predicament regarding Thursday. Of course I want us to win, but I have Jamaal Charles in my fantasy team........ :D

• Advertisement

Hard work staying up and watching the games at the moment, the D is playing well but they can't win us the games, the offense has got to start playing. I'm not convinced on Carr as a starter at the moment, hes not losing us games, but hes not winning us games either. With the cautious approach Sparano is taking with Carr and our passing game, teams are coming out against us and playing heavy against the rush as they know we're highly unlikely to hurt them with our passing game. That's the problem as I see it, I don't think its an issue with our RB's.

Take the kid gloves off the passing game, and go at teams with it so the rushing game has a chance. And if that doesn't work with Carr, put Schaub in.

No way I'm staying up and watching the game late on Thursday night, so I'd say there's a 99% chance of us playing well and perhaps even winning. Might be worth a cheeky bet actually.

The D is playing okay and would be adequate if the offence was capable of sustaining drives for more than three downs. Having said that the D hasn't produced many sacks, has at times struggled to really pressure opposing QBs under real pressure and with an underwhelming secondary, they have conceeded a lot of yardage. I think it says a lot, that Charles Woodson at the age of 37 is the best player in the secondary.

In one respect though, the offence and defence share the same weakness, when you get your hands on the ball you've got to catch it. Too many times, the wide receivers, running backs, tight ends and several members of the defence, have had the ball in their hands but couldn't catch it, which on a struggling team is unforgiveable. If this was corrected, they'd have won some games, but if you spurn these opportunities then you stay winless. Its glaringly obvious that we desperately need an elite wide receiver, someone capable of drawing double coverage and making the really big catch even when covered.

Realistically now, Sparano is a dead man walking and will be replaced, so I'd like to see a lot of game time for the young players in the remaining games, we've got to get Latavius Murray, Brice Butler, Menelik Watson and Justin Ellis on the field as much as possible, while keeping DJ Hayden, Gabe Jackson, Mychal Rivera and Derek Carr there too.

I was also intrigued by the rumours that Jim Harbaugh may be leaving the 49ers, but that his wife doesn't want to leave the Bay area. Harbaugh was an assistant coach with the Raiders before, so maybe if he was available, Mark Davis might approach him, but could he work with Reggie and will Reggie even still be around.

Fingers still crossed that we can win one game this season, but with 2 games against the Chiefs, games against the Rams(a), Broncos(a), 49ers(h) and Bills(h) still left, only the Bills game in Oakland on Dec 21st offers a reasonable chance of success and even that will be tough. In any case, the first pick in the 2015 draft seems a virtual cert at this stage.

heyjude wrote: »
    The D is playing okay and would be adequate if the offence was capable of sustaining drives for more than three downs. Having said that the D hasn't produced many sacks, has at times struggled to really pressure opposing QBs under real pressure and with an underwhelming secondary, they have conceeded a lot of yardage. I think it says a lot, that Charles Woodson at the age of 37 is the best player in the secondary.

In one respect though, the offence and defence share the same weakness, when you get your hands on the ball you've got to catch it. Too many times, the wide receivers, running backs, tight ends and several members of the defence, have had the ball in their hands but couldn't catch it, which on a struggling team is unforgiveable. If this was corrected, they'd have won some games, but if you spurn these opportunities then you stay winless. Its glaringly obvious that we desperately need an elite wide receiver, someone capable of drawing double coverage and making the really big catch even when covered.

Realistically now, Sparano is a dead man walking and will be replaced, so I'd like to see a lot of game time for the young players in the remaining games, we've got to get Latavius Murray, Brice Butler, Menelik Watson and Justin Ellis on the field as much as possible, while keeping DJ Hayden, Gabe Jackson, Mychal Rivera and Derek Carr there too.

I was also intrigued by the rumours that Jim Harbaugh may be leaving the 49ers, but that his wife doesn't want to leave the Bay area. Harbaugh was an assistant coach with the Raiders before, so maybe if he was available, Mark Davis might approach him, but could he work with Reggie and will Reggie even still be around.

Fingers still crossed that we can win one game this season, but with 2 games against the Chiefs, games against the Rams(a), Broncos(a), 49ers(h) and Bills(h) still left, only the Bills game in Oakland on Dec 21st offers a reasonable chance of success and even that will be tough. In any case, the first pick in the 2015 draft seems a virtual cert at this stage.
    A good analysis heyjude and I think we have a lock on the 1st pick of 2015 draft at this stage. I do think we have found our QB but we desperately need an elite WR or RB (if Murray is not up to it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's a shame the Raiders don't do what a few teams have over the years and just clean house entirely. Give up on high profile free agents let vets with 1-2 years left see out their deals, and release the remainders. Take a massive cap hit and wheel and deal like there is no tomorrow for additional draft picks.

Obviously it would require a GM with an eye for talent and a more hands off approach from ownership, but two examples are the Rams and Browns. Both of those are still a few key pieces short but have built up some formidable units in their own right with a lot of youth. In a hypothetical world if I were made Raiders GM tomorrow I would gut the roster right at the end of the year, do some trading back in the draft to pick up later picks and more next year, and just go all out on youth (mainly focusing on the dirty work jobs like linemen).

Nothing frustrates me more than seeing faltering teams signing a pile of free agents year on year in the hopes of maybe getting a wildcard spot if absolutely everything goes to plan. I really think Oakland would be really well served long term by taking the next season or two (not intentionally, but just not looking at w/l ratios and instead trying to get a young, talented team ready to get going properly in 3-4 years time)... Jacksonville for better or worse, have at least been trying this approach in the last while and at least in terms of standout players are starting to make a bit of an impact as a result. Worst case scenario, you wind up exactly where you are now.

Sorry for the rant, it's just something that's been really Irving me about the Raiders for years - Carson Palmer, Richard Seymour, Jason Campbell, Kamerion Wimbley and Aaron Curry between them cost two first rounders, a second rounder, a third rounder, a fourth rounder, a fifth rounder and a seventh rounder. That is nothing short of astonishing before even getting to six top 10 busts due to being avearsge/injury prone/awful players (Gallery at #2, Huff at #7, Purple Drank at #1, McFadden at #4, Hayward Bey at #7, McClain at #8... also Fabian Washington at #23).

Bit you did do well this season... Mack looks an absolute beast, Carr might never be great but could possibly be a Flacco level QB down the line, and I am sure I have heard there were 2 or 3 other good pickups there. I don't know, I just love seeing teams rebuilt from the absolute ground up and I really think if you're going to get the most out of doing it, now if very, very much the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Clean house? Didn't the Raiders do this last year? They entered free agency with over 60 million in cap space

The GM had a blank slate yet they are 0-10

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's a shame the Raiders don't do what a few teams have over the years and just clean house entirely. Give up on high profile free agents let vets with 1-2 years left see out their deals, and release the remainders. Take a massive cap hit and wheel and deal like there is no tomorrow for additional draft picks.

Obviously it would require a GM with an eye for talent and a more hands off approach from ownership, but two examples are the Rams and Browns. Both of those are still a few key pieces short but have built up some formidable units in their own right with a lot of youth. In a hypothetical world if I were made Raiders GM tomorrow I would gut the roster right at the end of the year, do some trading back in the draft to pick up later picks and more next year, and just go all out on youth (mainly focusing on the dirty work jobs like linemen).

Nothing frustrates me more than seeing faltering teams signing a pile of free agents year on year in the hopes of maybe getting a wildcard spot if absolutely everything goes to plan. I really think Oakland would be really well served long term by taking the next season or two (not intentionally, but just not looking at w/l ratios and instead trying to get a young, talented team ready to get going properly in 3-4 years time)... Jacksonville for better or worse, have at least been trying this approach in the last while and at least in terms of standout players are starting to make a bit of an impact as a result. Worst case scenario, you wind up exactly where you are now.

Reggie has already done all of this.

Billy86 wrote: »

Sorry for the rant, it's just something that's been really Irving me about the Raiders for years - Carson Palmer, Richard Seymour, Jason Campbell, Kamerion Wimbley and Aaron Curry between them cost two first rounders, a second rounder, a third rounder, a fourth rounder, a fifth rounder and a seventh rounder. That is nothing short of astonishing before even getting to six top 10 busts due to being avearsge/injury prone/awful players (Gallery at #2, Huff at #7, Purple Drank at #1, McFadden at #4, Hayward Bey at #7, McClain at #8... also Fabian Washington at #23).

Bit you did do well this season... Mack looks an absolute beast, Carr might never be great but could possibly be a Flacco level QB down the line, and I am sure I have heard there were 2 or 3 other good pickups there. I don't know, I just love seeing teams rebuilt from the absolute ground up and I really think if you're going to get the most out of doing it, now if very, very much the time.
    As has been said the Raiders did this two years in a row, they had the most cap space in the NFL last offseason and the acquisitions didnt work out. They will have a similar cap space next offseason and guess what is going to happen???? Reggie was meant to be the GM who could bring in proven and potential talent. He isnt proving to be a success so far. I doubt he'll last to the end of the season tbh, and then it all starts again, like every year since 2002.

As has been said the Raiders did this two years in a row, they had the most cap space in the NFL last offseason and the acquisitions didnt work out. They will have a similar cap space next offseason and guess what is going to happen???? Reggie was meant to be the GM who could bring in proven and potential talent. He isnt proving to be a success so far. I doubt he'll last to the end of the season tbh, and then it all starts again, like every year since 2002.

Not trying to be an apologist for Reggie, as he was brought in as some type of a personnel guru, but I do feel that he has been left in a situation that is still close to impossible. In his first draft, the Raiders didn't pick till the third round and that didn't work out, in his second draft he traded back took a gamble on DJ Hayden and thus far Hayden hasn't stayed fit, but Sio Moore is promising, Watson may end up as the eventual left tackle and Mychal Rivera is a talented young TE, while this year Mack, Carr, Jackson,Ellis and TJ Carrie look good. So with a full deck of picks he did pretty well.

Where the problem lies is the rest of the roster, where years of poor drafting meant very few talented young starters and lots of underperforming, overpaid veterans. So he had to tear up the roster to get out of salary cap problems(which took 2 years) and then headed for the 2014 season with $60m in cap space. Reggie wants to build the roster through the draft, but to completely rebuild through the draft will take 5+ drafts, so he needed to upgrade through free agents and he had to spend that $60m or face penalties from the league. Teams do not let their reasonably priced, talented younger players reach free agency if they can help it, so the free agents that are available tend to be older, injury prone, underperforming or overpriced (ie the type of players that Al Davis used to sign). But Reggie had to sign some free agents(despite any misgivings) and so he opted in the main for guys from winning teams that brought that attitude as well as their playing skills, but so as not to clog the roster with older players or return to salary cap problems, he signed these free agents to two year contracts with little or no cap hit if they are released early. So when the season ends I can see several of last years free agents being released, but they still face the same obstacle to signing free agents that they had last year, that many free agents will not sign for a losing team or a team with poor prospects, unless the contract on offer promises insane sums of cash, but at the same time the team will again face the same pressure to spend or face sanctions from the league.

I don't know what sort of salary cap situation Detroit are facing, but Suh is approaching free agency and if he retains his passion, he might be the type of marquee signing the Raiders need, he's a pro bowl talent, in his prime and signing him would automatically make all the other linemen and linebackers more effective, as he has to be accounted for on every play. But would Suh be interested in going to Oakland ? It might depend on who they choose as the next head coach, but he needs to be in place before free agency starts.

The draft is completely down to Reggie, but free agency is far more complex, as you can have piles of money to spend, but if the top free agents don't want to play for you, you still end up paying for players that ultimately may not be what you need to move forward and you'll get pilloried for not signing players(that it might not have even been possible to sign in any case)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That's actually a really good point made about the minimum cap spend that I had forgotten about. I was just looking at free agency this summer, with the likes of Justin Tuck (31), MJD (29, on a big downward slide), Schaub (33), Antonio Smith (33), Carlos Rogers (33), Lamarr Woodley (just gone 30), James Jones (30) and Donald Penn (31) - that's 7 guys in their 30s and one who might as well be for his position in MJD. Apparently there was a large offer made to Jared Allen also who is 32 and past his best it would appear this season. Are these guys just 1-2 year deals, or very front-loaded contracts that would allow them to be got rid of for very little at the end of this season or next (Peppers' deal at GB is like this for example)? I suppose they make sense in that case, just at a glimpse it appeared more "business as usual" stuff from Oakland's front office.

Not sure how he has done but CJ Wilson seemed a decent signing - 27 so plenty of time left, a one year, cheap deal and while he is far from a star player he was always solid in short down and running plays for GB. Austin Howard and Rodger Saffold (though he failed his medical if I recall?) are also decent signings that I assume came cheap enough?

Don't mean to sound like I'm piling on or anything by the way, the NFL is a better place when the Raiders are competitive because every sport needs it's pantomime villain. :p

As far as I know, the contracts that were offered were front loaded to ensure that cap space in subsequent years was not squandered, as happened under Al Davis. http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

To this end it would appear that we will have the most cap space, at $54 million. McKenzie has done good work to this end, and fair play to him. This is probably his greatest strength. He is shown up, however, with the whole Matt Schaub/Matt Flynn debacle. Swinging twice and missing on QB's is not a good sign. Carr is a great addition but he wasnt supposed to start this soon. But I'm glad he did. Great win last night.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, the contracts that were offered were front loaded to ensure that cap space in subsequent years was not squandered, as happened under Al Davis. http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

To this end it would appear that we will have the most cap space, at $54 million. McKenzie has done good work to this end, and fair play to him. This is probably his greatest strength. He is shown up, however, with the whole Matt Schaub/Matt Flynn debacle. Swinging twice and missing on QB's is not a good sign. Carr is a great addition but he wasnt supposed to start this soon. But I'm glad he did. Great win last night.

How many GM's haven't swung and missed on two QB's though? Each year we needed to find a QB and realistically we were never going to get much better. Certainly with Schuab. If we started this off-season with just Carr and McGloin as our QB's it would have been a terrible mistake on Reggie's part.

Advertisement