Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where'd all the old trains go?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Why wouldn't it make money? I was on the old Radio Trains back in the 1960s and they were always packed. These days IE, as far as I know, have no special vehicles for anything - Radio Trains, Opera Specials or Business Meetings on the go (Executive Train style). They won't be satisfied until everybody is crammed into a few railcars and then close-up the whole lot next time new rolling stock is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is always adverse comment on IE at this time of year because specials are not provided for GAA games. Now the people wishing to travel on these might not be on the train too often, they are unlikely to become fans of the train when they wish to travel and nothing is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Why wouldn't it make money? I was on the old Radio Trains back in the 1960s and they were always packed. These days IE, as far as I know, have no special vehicles for anything - Radio Trains, Opera Specials or Business Meetings on the go (Executive Train style). They won't be satisfied until everybody is crammed into a few railcars and then close-up the whole lot next time new rolling stock is needed.

JD the radio trains you speak off from the 60s,i assume they were ran with normal stock at the time?I ask because why was this particular train in the video ran with the executive coaches?
    ardmacha wrote: »
    This is always adverse comment on IE at this time of year because specials are not provided for GAA games. Now the people wishing to travel on these might not be on the train too often, they are unlikely to become fans of the train when they wish to travel and nothing is done.

I think there was a GAA special in Ballybrophy this morning heading for the hurling in Croke Park.I could be seriously wrong about this though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

radio trains? tell me more

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I was wandering around the grounds of killashee house in naas once during a function and spotted an orange carriage of a mkii in a yard near the.hotel. no idea how it got there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Rud wrote: »
    JD the radio trains you speak off from the 60s,i assume they were ran with normal stock at the time?I ask because why was this particular train in the video ran with the executive coaches?

Yes, the old Radio Trains ran with normal stock and a specially adapted side-corridor carriage which served as the radio broadcasting coach. There were at least two carriages in the fleet with the RS (radio studio) prefix. They ended their days in surburban service but with no additional seats i.e. they were next to useless and provided standing room only.

Nice pic of a 1954 Radio Train brochure here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/4570100257/

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I was wandering around the grounds of killashee house in naas once during a function and spotted an orange carriage of a mkii in a yard near the.hotel. no idea how it got there

There is currently one of the remaining MK2 Internationals and a Cravens coach at Killashee House which i believe are used for storage.There used to be a second International there also but it was sold to Caragh Nurseries and it is now used as a restaurant

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62132709@N04/sets/72157627638240655/with/6187723816/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Solair wrote: »
    They really should have purchased MK4 as a full kit, with power cars and ready to roll at 200km/h.

What they did seems a bit daft and more expensive in the long run.
    Do the dvt/power cars on the current mark IV sets pro use any motive power??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Do the dvt/power cars on the current mark IV sets pro use any motive power??

No, they only power the light, heat and air con. They have space in them to fit a motive power unit if and when needed. But they will also need to be fitted with powered bogies for that upgrade otherwise they is no way of getting that power to the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

ardmacha wrote: »

There have been GAA specials provided throughout the summer from many locations around the country.

• Advertisement

Just read on another forum site that scrapping and breaking equipment has arrived at Inchicore and Waterford yard to start scrapping the Mk3s. Word is that all Mk3s at each sire will go leaving the Northwall and Dundalk Mk3s. Wonder will the 8200s and 2700s at Inchicore be scrapped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Just read on another forum site that scrapping and breaking equipment has arrived at Inchicore and Waterford yard to start scrapping the Mk3s. Word is that all Mk3s at each sire will go leaving the Northwall and Dundalk Mk3s. Wonder will the 8200s and 2700s at Inchicore be scrapped too.

What has taken so long?

davidlacey wrote: »
    What has taken so long?

Mechanical and chemical weathering was taking too long for IE. They held up well to all that sea salt in the air.:pac:

They should try and salvage a few bogies because I hear the bogies on all the Enterprise EGVs are knackered and NIR have no funding to replace them. NIR technically own all the 4 EGVs they are not split in ownership like the DD stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

once the 2700s and 8200s have bio degraded to the required standard they will be next

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

lads what were the 2 red MK3's?

lads what were the 2 red MK3's?

Probably the Executive set, 7161 and 7162. They were in a maroon livery but were eventually repainted in standard orange/black.

I noticed that the orange in the IE livery often looks red in old photos - I would guess that it's just due to degradation of the film or photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

they were the executive coaches, painted oranage in later years.7162 was often seen in the mix of a set of standard MK3'S.

Any photos from inside 7161? That would be interesting to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Karsini wrote: »
    I noticed that the orange in the IE livery often looks red in old photos - I would guess that it's just due to degradation of the film or photo.

indeed, the 'From CIE to IR' book has a few photos where a 201 appears red as well as a few mk3s. It certainly makes you look again.

Advertisement