Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brown bin - flies - there has to be a better way

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I dump my grass on the field across the road, why on earth would you put grass in a bin? It's grass!

Brown bins are absolutely disgusting though, you couldn't pay me to use one. Also my bin companies not only charge me 6.40 for each brown bin lift, they lift it on the same day as the black bin and it all seems to go into the same part of the truck :confused: What's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

phasers wrote: »
    I dump my grass on the field across the road, why on earth would you put grass in a bin? It's grass!

Brown bins are absolutely disgusting though, you couldn't pay me to use one. Also my bin companies not only charge me 6.40 for each brown bin lift, they lift it on the same day as the black bin and it all seems to go into the same part of the truck :confused:What's the point?
    Making €6.40?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I thought the Green and Brown bins were collected for Free :eek:

My House brown bin is manky, tried papers but to be honest they tend to stick to the bottom and you they dont protect the sides of the bin. anyone tried these? Seem a tad pricey though

http://www.greensax.ie/website/domestic-shop/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sprinkle some eucalyptus oil into the bin.
    Flies HATE the stuff but humans find it quite pleasant and nose-clearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My folks leave their brown bin open for a bit every day or so. Birds come and eat the maggots and it's really cut down on their fly problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

phasers wrote: »
    they lift it on the same day as the black bin and it all seems to go into the same part of the truck :confused: What's the point?
    Many waste companies now have trucks with two separate compartments so they can lift two different bins at once. I still think they put it all into one the odd time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

I left mine for 3 months. I could hardly move it with the weight that was in it.
    The binman came to collect it and fell as he tryed to put it on the lift. The bin came down with a thud and a massive splash and soaked him, he proceeded to vomit all over the road. I could smell it from my top window and it was radioactive. I had to close the window as I was starting to reach.
    The poor binman, the tears were streaming from his eyes while he hueyed all over the public road. He could not cover his nose or mouth as the splash had landed some gunk on his gloves.
    I felt so guilty that the next time i put out my brown bin I only had it half full with 2 month old fly ridden gunk dripping out the side.
    God bless our binmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brown Bin Rescue

ScumLord wrote: »
    Many waste companies now have trucks with two separate compartments so they can lift two different bins at once. I still think they put it all into one the odd time though.

If the refuse collector has had issues with the quality of the Brown bin waste in an area e.g it is continually contaminated with Glass bottles etc, they will collect that area with the Black bin truck. When back at the waste facility the MBT ( mechanical, biological, treatment) allows for the food waste to be removed and composted but is only usable for land reclamation programs. The Brown bin waste from trusted areas is composted separately and is in huge demand by Tillage farmers, and it reduces our dependency on imported Petro Chemical derived Nitrates plentiful in Food Waste Compost.
    So putting in the odd Brown bin into a Black bin truck could well be a bin that was refused by the Brown bin crew due to contaminates. Now that Brown bin waste has been acknowledged as a National Resource ( see dept of Environment web site on National Waste Polcy Document ) and that every house will have a Brown bin in the next 4 years watch out for heavy fines for its miss use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

If the refuse collector has had issues with the quality of the Brown bin waste in an area e.g it is continually contaminated with Glass bottles etc, they will collect that area with the Black bin truck. When back at the waste facility the MBT ( mechanical, biological, treatment) allows for the food waste to be removed and composted but is only usable for land reclamation programs. The Brown bin waste from trusted areas is composted separately and is in huge demand by Tillage farmers, and it reduces our dependency on imported Petro Chemical derived Nitrates plentiful in Food Waste Compost.
    So putting in the odd Brown bin into a Black bin truck could well be a bin that was refused by the Brown bin crew due to contaminates. Now that Brown bin waste has been acknowledged as a National Resource ( see dept of Environment web site on National Waste Polcy Document ) and that every house will have a Brown bin in the next 4 years watch out for heavy fines for its miss use.

Or . . . just don't use it like me, use it as a spare for heavy weeks like Christmas.

ronan45 wrote: »
    I thought the Green and Brown bins were collected for Free :eek:

My House brown bin is manky, tried papers but to be honest they tend to stick to the bottom and you they dont protect the sides of the bin. anyone tried these? Seem a tad pricey though

http://www.greensax.ie/website/domestic-shop/

In Fingal area which I think covers your area the Brown bins are collected free as the service was set up that way by Fingal County Council to encourage us to use the Brown bin. In other areas it is charged for normally about 50% of the cost of the Black bin and in others it is weighed.
    Fingal became a victim of their own success and many of us did use the Brown bin but without a facility of their own to process the waste into compost it ended up costing them loads to truck it to Carlow and Meath for processing.
    So for now you are lucky to have it collected for free but wait until after the guaranteed pricing from the new collector comes to an end in 2013 and see if it remains so.
    Your posting of 'and you they dont protect the sides of the bin. anyone tried these? Seem a tad pricey though ' does not make sense but I think you were implying that newspaper sticks and you are correct. The inclusion of a link to Green Sax I think was what you were referring to being a bit pricey, and thats because they are selling commercial box loads.
    So you need your bin washed and liners for a year at a reasonable cost, so if you Private Mail me I will take you out of your misery.

• Advertisement

I left mine for 3 months. I could hardly move it with the weight that was in it.
    The binman came to collect it and fell as he tryed to put it on the lift. The bin came down with a thud and a massive splash and soaked him, he proceeded to vomit all over the road. I could smell it from my top window and it was radioactive. I had to close the window as I was starting to reach.
    The poor binman, the tears were streaming from his eyes while he hueyed all over the public road. He could not cover his nose or mouth as the splash had landed some gunk on his gloves.
    I felt so guilty that the next time i put out my brown bin I only had it half full with 2 month old fly ridden gunk dripping out the side.
    God bless our binmen.

I think you have to credit us with a bit of intelligence when you decide to entertain yourself with tall stories. So where did you put this great load of vomit and your massive stinking bin contents, after the bin broke and Binman went home sick? Hmmm, yeah, never thought of that one did ya.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Or . . . just don't use it like me, use it as a spare for heavy weeks like Christmas.

Under the new National Waste Policy each household will have to prove it is using the Brown bin or has an alternative means to deal with food waste such as home composting. See the policy document for yourself on Dept of Environments site.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

I think you have to credit us with a bit of intelligence when you decide to entertain yourself with tall stories. So where did you put this great load of vomit and your massive stinking bin contents, after the bin broke and Binman went home sick? Hmmm, yeah, never thought of that one did ya.
    In fairness, although celticcrash may have embellished the story slightly for entertainment purposes, it stands up to scrutiny. He never said the bin broke, or spilled its entire load (heh!), or that the binman went home sick.
    The binman got splashed with some nasty bin-gunk and vomited on the road. Presumably he then unloaded the bin's remaining contents into the lorry as usual and went on working, after returning the bin to its usual spot.

Poor bin men (or refuse-collectors as I think we're supposed to call them these days). Must be a nasty job sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

Sykk wrote: »
    What's the difference between a bird and a fly?
    A bird can fly but a fly can't bird

*gets coat :o*

this fly begs to differ

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/lordv/278479280/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Under the new National Waste Policy each household will have to prove it is using the Brown bin or has an alternative means to deal with food waste such as home composting. See the policy document for yourself on Dept of Environments site.

Well that's me stumped then, no way round that, no siree.
    Phil Hogan would appear to have me in Checkmate, time for this soldier to fall in.
    Government 1 Me 0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

My brown bin is revolting! Everytime I open it to put stuff in, a huge swarm of flies of different kinds flies out.

If you want to get rid of those flies, go to your hardware and buy some Ant Killer Spray, but one that contains 'Deltametherin'. Flies are particularly vulnerable to Deltametherin, and it will kill them within 30 seconds.

Empty the bin, hose it out clean, allow to dry out. Then, spray the whole inside of the bin with the Ant Spray, particularly around the lid, and allow to dry out. This chemical forms a barely visible residual layer that will last for about 2 weeks. It contaminates the surfaces flies feed upon and will kill them pdq.

you could also lightly spray the outside of the bin, but avoid the handles. If you get Deltametherin on your hands and then accidentally rub your eyes it will sting for hours. Over the counter sprays like that usually only contain 0.005% of the active ingredient, so it's safe enough to use.

However, as with all such chemicals, WEAR GLOVES AND A MASK when applying.

This will work, if it doesn't, I owe you a pint ;)

Advertisement