Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brown bin - flies - there has to be a better way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Fill a glass / jam jar with bleach and a load of sugar and leave it nearby, they can't keep away from the stuff

Failing that, just take a big dirty dump beside the bin.

(two flies on a log of poo, one of them farts. " hey buddy, do you mind? I'm trying to eat hear!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Brown bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Jeyes do a Bin Powder as well in Dunnes,does the job

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

What has the colour got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

ScumLord wrote: »
    Pay per lift means that's a no go.

My bin only goes out once ever 2 or 3 months. Luckily I smoke so I have no idea if it smells bad or not. I think it takes me so long to put out the bins because the flies are eating it faster than I can fill it.

Really you should be thanking the flies for reducing your waste costs, every time I see a gang of flies leave my bin I make the cur-ching noise as I watch waste costs fly into my neighbours kitchens.

I pay a standard charge of €25 p/m and can put the bins out as often as I want. General waste is one week, then recycling and compost the next. Glass bin is collected once a month.

I don't know how that compares to a 'pay per lift' system, but it's great being able to put the bins out regularly, especially in warm weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

A few months ago I had the pleasure of emptying out brown bin which was 60% full and sifting through the waste to find my wives eternity ring. I didnt enjoy it but I could do it again! All I put in it now is garden waste; all food waste goes to the black bin which goes out fortnightly due to the amount of nappies in it. I find a manure bag (try a farm) covering the brown bin is a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

jayteecork wrote: »
    What has the colour got to do with it?
    The brown bin system isn't in place everywhere so just to clarify:
    You're issued with a regular black wheelie bin for general rubbish, a green one for recyclables (paper, plastic, etc.) and a brown one for organic matter (i.e. food etc). Not sure how strict they are about checking the contents, but you're supposed to stick to the right bins.

Depending on the area, these are collected at different times, weekly for the black bin, fortnightly for the green, maybe monthly for the brown, and there's a charge per collection.

In my area we just have the black and green, which is fine, but my mum was issued with the brown bin last year. She lives alone and it takes ages for her to fill the brown bin enough to put it out for collection. It gets really nasty in there, but she doesn't like to waste money having it collected before it's full. It's only a few euro but it all adds up.

I reckon they didn't think the system through properly to be honest, maybe they assumed people produce more organic waste than they do. It's fine to keep recyclables sitting around for weeks because it's clean stuff, but I think the brown bins should be collected weekly and not charged extra. You can't have bins full of rotting food sitting around in people's kitchens or gardens, it's really unpleasant and probably unhygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

put the daily waste in the freezer in ice cream type container and only put it in the brown bin the night before you leave it out for collection. No smell - sorted !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

You shouldnt really put meat into your regular compost heap. Its 2 different types of bacteria, both of which require different conditions to "compost" stuff properly. Plus it will stink just like the brown bin does and have maggots and flies, and attract other animals. Not a problem really, but if you are trying to avoid bad smells/flies and magots, then that wont really help.

We just use the compostable bags and that seem to do the trick. Every now and again we put in some of that citrus powder stuff which helps if its particularly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Apart from stinking, meat will also cause problems like attracting rats and other wild animals as well as the local cats and dogs.

As far as I am aware, they only want green waste and vegetable matter in brown bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Solair wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, they only want green waste and vegetable matter in brown bins.

Nah, in the greyhound ones you can put meat and food-soiled paper/cardboard too.

Zab wrote: »
    Nah, in the greyhound ones you can put meat and food-soiled paper/cardboard too.

That's why they whiff :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Use old newspapers, wrap the food well inside the newspaper, put the newspapers in the bin. Stops food from getting stuck to the side of the inside of the bin which is attracting the flies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

We changed bin companies about 6 months ago, told them we didn't want the brown bin.
    I put the food waste on top of the house bin refuse sack when emptying then tie, works at treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

davet82 wrote: »
    stop using the brown bin, its disgusting

This is the solution. It stinks, it breeds flies and really, what is the ****ing point?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fecky the Ninth

Sell the maggots to anglers, about four euro a pint. Pays for your bin charges. Every cloud hase a silver lining. :pac:

If you just bag the stuff in those compostable bags, there's really no issue though. Just seal them up tightly and don't put really wet stuff in.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    This is the solution. It stinks, it breeds flies and really, what is the ****ing point?

Do you really not know what the point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Zab wrote: »
    Do you really not know what the point is?

Nope. Most recycling is a waste of time and energy. I assume this is probably the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Whatever about recycling the cardboard or glass or clean plastic, that's no bother, but actual food? I don't get it. Is this a relatively new thing? I'll stick to putting my food in a regular bin like I have done for the last twenty odd years of my life, thanks. It's worth the couple of euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My Mam told me yesterday that you should only put things in the brown bin at night time, because she swears the flies are all asleep then and don't fly out. It's not a solution exactly, more of a work around. Beats being hit in the mouth by a million of the little dirty b*ggers though.

Brown bins infuriate me though, it drives me mad when I think of the money that was wasted delivering them to a million households who didn't want one and don't use the one that was dumped on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Crossbreed them with the ones from the green bin. Then you'll have an unstoppable army of flies that will carry out your bidding.....the world will call you....FLYMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Blast them with Sodium Bicarbonate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Brown bin is a fucking stupid idea. Foodstuff will biodegrade in a landfill or get eaten by bastard rats and bastard seagulls. Putting all that crap together in a big bin to fester for two weeks on your property is dumb. Dumb dumb dumb. It stinks, and is ridiculously unhygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

put the daily waste in the freezer in ice cream type container and only put it in the brown bin the night before you leave it out for collection. No smell - sorted !

I'd rather have flies in my bin than containers of frozen rubbish in my freezer.

Also if anyone stumbled across your collection of frozen kitchen waste they'd think you were a right nutter. And rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Sappa wrote: »
    Compost,
    I haven't put food in the bin collection in yrs,nice for the local wildlife as well they make short work of a pile each week.
    layer of grass on top every week in the summer keeps most of the flies and wasps away

Brown bin is a fucking stupid idea. Foodstuff will biodegrade in a landfill or get eaten by bastard rats and bastard seagulls. Putting all that crap together in a big bin to fester for two weeks on your property is dumb. Dumb dumb dumb. It stinks, and is ridiculously unhygienic.

Foodstuffs are bad for landfills as they're one of the main causes of environmental contamination. If you separate them they can be composted and used as fertilizer. Most adults can keep keep good hygiene and a brown bin at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brown Bin Rescue

Your problem is that you have non separated food waste in the Brown bin and this is what is attracting the flies which lay eggs and create more flies. Your Green waste is fine it will just smell 'Grassy' as it naturally decays but the mixture of both in an uncontrolled environment e.g. your Brown bin, accelerates the production of Sulphur / Methane and will stink and is a breeding ground for flies.
    Separate your food waste from your Green by putting in the Green waste on top the night before bin day, or use cornstarch compostable bin liners and kitchen bin liners to store the food waste in the kitchen, and then deposit the tied kitchen bin bag into the lined Brown bin.
    I had to rescue my stinking and infested Brown bin myself and have resolved the issue so if you like give me your e-mail address I will be happy to pass on my experience to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Those flies are scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I had to rescue my stinking and infested Brown bin myself and have resolved the issue so if you like give me your e-mail address I will be happy to pass on my experience to you.

PM me!

Advertisement