Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brown bin - flies - there has to be a better way

Options
  • 14-08-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

My brown bin is revolting! Everytime I open it to put stuff in, a huge swarm of flies of different kinds flies out. I've got garden waste in there from cutting grass and hedge, and also food waste, but no meat waste.

Our household is small and doesn't produce a lot of waste and I put it out every month only half full or less because of the hygiene issue.

But seriously, there has to be a better way. Even a bin between two or more households, or smaller bins at a lesser charge for small households.

So AHers, any ideas of how this could be better managed?

And any ideas for how to keep the flies down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Fly spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

My brown bin is revolting! Everytime I open it to put stuff in, a huge swarm of flies of different kinds flies out. I've got garden waste in there from cutting grass and hedge, and also food waste, but no meat waste.

Our household is small and doesn't produce a lot of waste and I put it out every month only half full or less because of the hygiene issue.

But seriously, there has to be a better way. Even a bin between two or more households, or smaller bins at a lesser charge for small households.

As above.

Open it, and blast it with fly spray then close.

Not a great solution but it does work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

stop using the brown bin, its disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Fill a glass / jam jar with bleach and a load of sugar and leave it nearby, they can't keep away from the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Put it out at least once a week instead, once a month is inviting trouble. Flies are nesting in there, great feeding ground for maggots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I have to bring my bins through the house to get them to the street. It's gross.

There's only a two euro charge on the brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Burn it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Place food in a compostable bag and get a large compostable liner for your bin. Use the liner to cover the contents each time you place items inside and it should reduce the flies.

Some herbs repel flies (basil, bayleaf, lavender, mint, rosemary), so you could place plant pots with these around the bin.

Most of these bins are collected fortnightly so always put it out, even if it contains very little waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

See, there's your problem right there (bold) - WHERE pray I ask, do you keep it the rest of the month? Indoors? A garage/shed of some sort?
    If so there's your breeding ground. The critters thrive in the humidity you are providing them with. You are essentially creating a micro-environment for their thrival (that's a word I just made up).

Also - to keep the flies down you should unzip your pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

What's the difference between a bird and a fly?
    A bird can fly but a fly can't bird

*gets coat :o*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

If you have a garden or back yard get a compost heap instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

wash your bin. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dump everything over the back wall into your noisy neighbour's garden.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Compost,
    I haven't put food in the bin collection in yrs,nice for the local wildlife as well they make short work of a pile each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

you could also try stop wasting food and let the garden go au naturel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

csi vegas wrote: »
    See, there's your problem right there (bold) - WHERE pray I ask, do you keep it the rest of the month? Indoors? A garage/shed of some sort?
    If so there's your breeding ground. The critters thrive in the humidity you are providing them with. You are essentially creating a micro-environment for their thrival (that's a word I just made up).

Also - to keep the flies down you should unzip your pants.

The bin is out in the garden.

The garden is tiny so I produce too much compost for me to use.

The bin is collected fortnightly only.

Three quid is three quid. Greyhound and other waste companies need to find a better way of collecting green/brown waste.

I'll try the lavendar plantation.

Flies are neither attracted nor repelled by my pants (or the contents of my pants) - :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Had this problem this year myself. I have the standard black bin though, cleaned the bin out with a hose and doused it in Jeyes Fluid. Everything goes in a black bag which is tied now, and put in the bin.

Jeyes also have a spray for bins which I use, which seems to keep it clean and fly/maggot free.

Put the bin out more if possible. You could ask for a smaller bin, which will fill faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can buy compostable bags which are suitable for use in brown bins.
    They're available in our local Tesco.

Just bag up the compostable waste.

Just check that the bags comply with EN 134132 i.e. break down within 10 to 45 days max.

I think anything compostable needs to be collected weekly.

There's no reason why pay-by-weight systems for non-sorted rubbish couldn't collect weekly either, this concept of charging per bin-lift is just encouraging people to retain festering waste at their homes in the wheelie bin to avoid paying for a tag. There has to be rodent / health implications to this kind of thing.

I'll try the lavendar plantation.

Flies are neither attracted nor repelled by my pants (or the contents of my pants) - :P

Yes, lavender. It will make them sleepy. And while they sleep you can throw in a coke and aspirin bomb on them, see how they like that huh?

It's nice to know that they take a neutral stance to your pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

from what i learned in Irish (long story) the idea would be to actually put holes in the bin.

Thus allowing the flies to get out.

He lives on a farm and/or has sheep and the odd time when there would be a dead animal (lamb or other) he'd dump it all into the same bin right by his back door along with food etc.

The flies would lay the eggs and maggots form. They keep the smell down by eating the rotten flesh etc and when they hatch they are able to fly through the holes in the lid.

I guess that the thnking behind it was it allowed

a) air to circulate
    b) allowed lots more flies in to lay eggs meaning more maggots
    c) this meant even less smell
    d) when he opened the lid there wasn't a swarm of wee feckers looking for escape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You need to attract spiders, somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Have you tried installing a cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Some of the brown bins had holes all over the sides to allow air to circulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Solair wrote: »
    You can buy compostable bags which are suitable for use in brown bins.
    They're available in our local Tesco..

My local lidl has them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Get a few spiders?

Have you tried installing a cat?

Oh Jeezus! Haha! (but not haha) That phyco bítch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I had the same problem with my brown bin. To make it worse I missed the collection so the thing has been sitting there for a month. When I opened it there were maggots everywhere. The bags were actually moving. :eek: My hair is actually standing on end right now thinking about it. I threw some garden waste on top of it to cover the horror. It goes out tomorrow for sure and I'll wash out the bin with disinfectant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

danniemcq wrote: »
    from what i learned in Irish (long story) the idea would be to actually put holes in the bin.

Thus allowing the flies to get out.

He lives on a farm and/or has sheep and the odd time when there would be a dead animal (lamb or other) he'd dump it all into the same bin right by his back door along with food etc.

The flies would lay the eggs and maggots form. They keep the smell down by eating the rotten flesh etc and when they hatch they are able to fly through the holes in the lid.

I guess that the thnking behind it was it allowed

a) air to circulate
    b) allowed lots more flies in to lay eggs meaning more maggots
    c) this meant even less smell
    d) when he opened the lid there wasn't a swarm of wee feckers looking for escape

The lid on my black bin has a crack on it that the flies can get through. To be honest, I'd rather the smell than the maggots, every time I open the bin, if they're there, I nearly puke, ****ing disgusting

Coincidently, there's holes in the brown bin,but I use those biodegradable bags in the brown bin, and the flies don't seem too bothered with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I have a compost bin in the garden (it came with the house, we're renting) and I find it really disgusting. Every time I use it there are flies flying right into my face. I put food into the black bin now and my girlfriend has to put food into the compost bin if she likes because I refuse to do so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Most of these bins are collected fortnightly so always put it out, even if it contains very little waste.
    Pay per lift means that's a no go.

My bin only goes out once ever 2 or 3 months. Luckily I smoke so I have no idea if it smells bad or not. I think it takes me so long to put out the bins because the flies are eating it faster than I can fill it.

Really you should be thanking the flies for reducing your waste costs, every time I see a gang of flies leave my bin I make the cur-ching noise as I watch waste costs fly into my neighbours kitchens.

Advertisement