Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on Desperados

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Necronos wrote: »
    I drink Guinness normally but was in Holland last week and it was the only beer I could stomach.Its not nearly as gassy as Corona,Bud etc and I dont like the taste of Heineken etc.

The Heineken they sell in Holland is different to the Irish stuff and actually quite a decent lager. Desperados is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

People calling Desperados beer annoys me just as much as people calling Southern Comfort whiskey!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

People calling Desperados beer annoys me just as much as people calling Southern Comfort whiskey!

Isn't southern comfort a whiskey liqueur though?

Isn't southern comfort a whiskey liqueur though?

yes, a whiskey liqueur or a liqueur whiskey but not whiskey.
    It merely has whiskey as an ingredient.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

yes, a whiskey liqueur or a liqueur whiskey but not whiskey.
    It merely has whiskey as an ingredient.

So desparados is not a beer because it merely has beer as an ingredient? Is that what you're saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Had it once didnt like it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fiftyshades

I guess the clue is in the name , only when I'm very desperate .

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

I've developed a taste for it over the last few weeks. I can see why alot of people dislike it though.

So desparados is not a beer because it merely has beer as an ingredient? Is that what you're saying?

I consider it to not be a beer because it is, imo, much more like an alcopop.
    Likewise, I don't consider Koppaberg or Recorderlig to really be cider.

And yes, you can (and I've no doubt you will) bring up lambic fruit beers and the like questioning whether I consider them to be beers or not. I do and I don't really care if you consider this to be a contradiction or not.

I'm complex;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I love it! I don't really care what anyone thinks of its beer status, I find it's a nice summer drink - goes down well with a BBQ :)

• Advertisement

I consider it to not be a beer because it is, imo, much more like an alcopop.
    Likewise, I don't consider Koppaberg or Recorderlig to really be cider.

And yes, you can (and I've no doubt you will) bring up lambic fruit beers and the like questioning whether I consider them to be beers or not. I do and I don't really care if you consider this to be a contradiction or not.

I'm complex;)

That's fine, so long as there isn't some technical issue that takes it out of being a beer. They put tequilla flavouring into it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a "beer" designed for people who don't like beer, but want to drink something a bit more manly than WKD or Smirnoff Ice (or whatever the kids are drinking these days)
    Good marketing ploy! To be honest, a mouthful of it isn't bad imho, but after half a bottle I'm sick of it. Like all those alcopops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So its not a fermented beverage made from water yeast grains hops and sugars?
    Some people will have different opinions on what is "beer", just like dairy milk might not be able to be legally called chocolate in some countries.

If I added 1L of neutral sugar water brew to a drop of "real beer" some might say it is still beer, some won't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer_Brewery
    Desperados' listed ingredients are water, malted barley, glucose syrup, corn, sugar, aromatic compounds (75% Tequila) citric acid, and hop extract.
    latenia wrote: »
    The Heineken they sell in Holland is different to the Irish stuff and actually quite a decent lager.
    Kegged heineken is brewed here. Canned/bottled stuff marketed to here is brewed in holland and 4.3% and probably just the normal stuff diluted down. You can pick up 5% heineken easily enough here, it is often cheaper than the 4.3% since they are sourcing from different countries where the wholesale price (mainly set by heineken) is lower. In my eurospar you often see 4.3 & 5% alongside each other, the 5% usually cheaper.

I despise tequila, there are some tequila fans out there, but the majority I see are "hard men" drinking it because its "hardcore" to chug down a drink so vile they need to mask it with lemon/lime & salt, these guys never ask for tequila by brandname which would be an indication they only are interested in a vile tasting shot for the gimmick of it. I doubt the tequila they are putting in desparados is of decent quality.

rubadub wrote: »
    So its not a fermented beverage made from water yeast grains hops and sugars?
    Some people will have different opinions on what is "beer", just like dairy milk might not be able to be legally called chocolate in some countries.

If I added 1L of neutral sugar water brew to a drop of "real beer" some might say it is still beer, some won't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer_Brewery
    Desperados' listed ingredients are water, malted barley, glucose syrup, corn, sugar, aromatic compounds (75% Tequila) citric acid, and hop extract.
    latenia wrote: »
    The Heineken they sell in Holland is different to the Irish stuff and actually quite a decent lager.
    Kegged heineken is brewed here. Canned/bottled stuff marketed to here is brewed in holland and 4.3% and probably just the normal stuff diluted down. You can pick up 5% heineken easily enough here, it is often cheaper than the 4.3% since they are sourcing from different countries where the wholesale price (mainly set by heineken) is lower. In my eurospar you often see 4.3 & 5% alongside each other, the 5% usually cheaper.

I despise tequila, there are some tequila fans out there, but the majority I see are "hard men" drinking it because its "hardcore" to chug down a drink so vile they need to mask it with lemon/lime & salt, these guys never ask for tequila by brandname which would be an indication they only are interested in a vile tasting shot for the gimmick of it. I doubt the tequila they are putting in desparados is of decent quality.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is anything other than a guzzling beer nor that it's a particularly interesting beer to sip on. It's a bottled Mexican beer best served very cold, it's not trying to be a delicately balanced craft beer.

And maybe I'm wrong but I thought that even beer puritans and german traditional brewers who refuse to permit anything other than malt, hops, water and yeast into their beer don't suggest that anythibg else isn't beer. I suppose you could say it's not "real beer" in one respect but I don't think you can say it's not beer at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's a bottled Mexican beer
    It's French.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't think you can say it's not beer at all.
    I think there will always come a limit where people say "ah c'mon, that's taking the piss, that's not beer/chocolate/swiss made/chicken fillet"

like my extreme example.
    rubadub wrote: »

I imagine many people will draw the line somewhere, and the line will move depending on the person, that's all I am getting at. I expect you have your own limit of what is a beer, but you might need to be probed/questioned to discover it.

Some might use a different term, like you will see "juice drink" on cranberry juice concoctions which are mainly made up of water & sugar. These are legally enforced, it cannot be legally marketed as juice. AFAIK If somebody made whiskey here it is not legally able to be sold as "Irish Whiskey" if they matured it for less than 3 years.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's French.

Sorry Mexican "Styled" Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's a "beer" designed for people who don't like beer, but want to drink something a bit more manly than WKD or Smirnoff Ice (or whatever the kids are drinking these days)
    Good marketing ploy! To be honest, a mouthful of it isn't bad imho, but after half a bottle I'm sick of it. Like all those alcopops.
    I disagree. I am a beer drinker & I occasionally drink a Desperados as I find that when well-chilled it can be quite refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭marcel353

The beer is around a good while now, back in 1994 :eek:, a friend from college during the last year happened to do a lot of work for Desperados market launch. Enjoyed it the first few years as a summer beer served very cold. I had a go again recently and definitely think the taste has changed, way way too sweet, wouldn't drink it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What's a "Mexican "Styled" Beer"?

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »

What's a "Mexican "Styled" Beer"?

Mexico is a country in north/central America. Mexican means of Mexico.

style is a pattern or manner. Styled means to replicate a pattern or manner.

Beer is a fermented alcoholic beverage.

A Mexican styled beer is therefore a fermented beverage that is designed along the lines of other fermented beverages contained in a particular country is north/central America.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question, perhaps if you explain what point you want to make so I can go back to my brooklyn local 2 (which incidentally....)

A Mexican styled beer is therefore a fermented beverage that is designed along the lines of other fermented beverages contained in a particular country is north/central America.
    Are there other beers brewed in Mexico along the similar style as Desparados? I didn't realise Mexico had a style of beer other than lager? is Desparados a different style that's more intrinsic to Mexico?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Are there other beers brewed in Mexico along the similar style as Desparados? I didn't realise Mexico had a style of beer other than lager? is Desparados a different style that's more intrinsic to Mexico?

Does Germany have a different style of lager to holland? Is English Bitter different to the Australian style? Is Irish red ale different to US red ale? Is the difference between a witbier and a weissbier a clever marketing ploy?

No, it's all just carlsberg in different bottles. The same goes for wines and whiskies. We can now safely close This entire forum because the only question about any beer is whether it is a larger, ale or stout.

Seriously guys, you can't prove your love of "real beer" merely by hating "fake beer".

Does Germany have a different style of lager to holland? Is English Bitter different to the Australian style? Is Irish red ale different to US red ale? Is the difference between a witbier and a weissbier a clever marketing ploy?

No, it's all just carlsberg in different bottles. The same goes for wines and whiskies. We can now safely close This entire forum because the only question about any beer is whether it is a larger, ale or stout.

Seriously guys, you can't prove your love of "real beer" merely by hating "fake beer".

Wow, that's some rant. I asked you a genuine question. Fair enuffski if you don't want to answer it.

Give it a rest. The OP wanted opinions - not nit-picking.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

One bottle is OK when it's icy cold.

BTW "Mexican Styled" is a fair enough description. It's ovbiously styled as a Mexican type product and you'd see it in Mexican restaurants etc from time to time. It's flavoured with Tequilla which is a Mexican drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

only found this drink a few weeks ago. My new favourite drink! for a 5.9 percent beer it goes down ridiculously easy :D

8:30pm here & still over 30C. The ice-cold tin of Desperados dug out from the back of the fridge was a great find. The bottle-conditioned bier from the microbrewery in Jura can wait. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The bottle-conditioned bier from the microbrewery in Jura
    Oooh, which one? And isn't it bière over there? :P

• Advertisement

BFM - La Torpille. They might speak French up in the Jura, but I speak Bärnerdutsch when I'm drinking it here in Bern. :p

Advertisement