Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭ThePott

Doesn’t it require a credit card with a US address?
    There's a workaround. I have it myself. If you use a VPN to get onto the American Google play store you can add a payment method through that.
    Download the HBO Max App and sign up through it and it will charge whatever form of payment you have attached to Google et Voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

ThePott wrote: »
    There's a workaround. I have it myself. If you use a VPN to get onto the American Google play store you can add a payment method through that.
    Download the HBO Max App and sign up through it and it will charge whatever form of payment you have attached to Google et Voila!

Too much effort for me so personally hoping on some news over the next month and a bit. :D

I mean surely they have to sort something. It's galling if they leave the UK and Ireland market with a choice of (maybe) Sky Atlantic, VPN messing or pirating.

The Sky Atlantic issue is so frustrating because HBO Max seems to be expanding fast in other territories yet it's introduction here has the obstacle of Sky. I wonder when they're agreement is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Dushku has not confirmed anything and the post amounts to nothing more than sympathizing.
    Valley Girl Cordy was a great character but the showrunners tried to make the character grow and found the actor not up to the extra demands placed upon them.
    Cordy was answering the phones in Season 1, McNab was answering the phones in episode 5.
    ...and Whedon is still not a nice guy.

Dushku clearly said she she didn’t witness the abuse from Whedon.

She says she supports Carpenter.

She was obviously being coached in series 1 and 2 of Angel. Angel had gone downhill from the start of season 3.
    I remember reading an Actor indelicately complaining that he nothing to act off when he was acting against her in another series where she was a guest actress.
    Whedon is to blame for writing himself in to a corner and slashing and burning to get himself out of a hole and Carpenter being on the chopping list. If she had got the sitcom gigs which she seemed to be lined up for then it would have all been forgotten and Angel would have been seen as a springboard for other roles.

Can you explain how you know she was being coached?

What was Whedon like on the two Avengers?

Hard to imagine him bullying any of those actors.

• Advertisement

Too much effort for me so personally hoping on some news over the next month and a bit. :D

I mean surely they have to sort something. It's galling if they leave the UK and Ireland market with a choice of (maybe) Sky Atlantic, VPN messing or pirating.

The Sky Atlantic issue is so frustrating because HBO Max seems to be expanding fast in other territories yet it's introduction here has the obstacle of Sky. I wonder when they're agreement is up.
    For sure, I think a lot of people are like that. I did a free trial and figured I'd use it enough so got the year membership and that was before they announced all their slate was going up on it.

I think right now the only place that has a confirmed deal outside of regions with HBO is Canada. Where it goes up on Crave. AFAIK the Sky deal was re-upped for 5 years relatively recently, think it's in place till around 2025. Areas in Latin America that will get HBO Max won't be getting it until HBO Max launches. I think it will go on VOD here eventually. For the record I only know all this HBO Max stuff cause I did a podcast on it recently :D

ThePott wrote: »
    For sure, I think a lot of people are like that. I did a free trial and figured I'd use it enough so got the year membership and that was before they announced all their slate was going up on it.

I think right now the only place that has a confirmed deal outside of regions with HBO is Canada. Where it goes up on Crave. AFAIK the Sky deal was re-upped for 5 years relatively recently, think it's in place till around 2025. Areas in Latin America that will get HBO Max won't be getting it until HBO Max launches. I think it will go on VOD here eventually. For the record I only know all this HBO Max stuff cause I did a podcast on it recently :D

Has it not expanded to Asia as well? Might of got that wrong.

Can you explain how you know she was being coached?
    2019 still using one.
    https://twitter.com/allcharisma/status/1146222291237269504

Her coach even appeared on screen in s02e01 of Angel as an "acting teacher".

Has it not expanded to Asia as well? Might of got that wrong.
    Wasn't saying it had or hadn't. Just knew that it launches in Latin America in June as it was announced this week. AFAIK The only area without HBO Services that is confirmed for the Snyder Cut is Canada so far.

As for HBO Max in Asia, from what I remember a lot of HBO Max's content is available through either the HBO Go Apps in Asia or in some strange cases actually sold to Disney and put on Hotstar in the case of India.

It probably will make it's way to Asia eventually but from what I remember Max is not available anywhere outside of America right now. There is a HBO Asia but it has a similiar layout to what HBO did pre-Max from memory. While they intend to launch in more markets this year including select areas of Europe.

The films going to HBO Max aisde from JL internationally are meant to get a theatrical release and can go on VOD 28 days later but Justice League is a pretty unique case in the regard because it's unlikely to get a theatrical release especially with many cinemas closed. Could possibly be a delayed release internationally on VOD.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I thought Carpenter was a great actress, even in Buffy, her alone in a room full of people delivery was great or her acting like she was acting when she pretends she doesn't work in the store. In Angel she showed brilliant development. I realise that is mainly the script but she acted it brilliantly IMO.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I thought Carpenter was a great actress, even in Buffy, her alone in a room full of people delivery was great or her acting like she was acting when she pretends she doesn't work in the store. In Angel she showed brilliant development. I realise that is mainly the script but she acted it brilliantly IMO.

In Buffy she was pretty convincing as the member of the gang who didn't have a default position on whatever the given drama was. You didn't know what Cordy was going to say, both stupid or brave, and Carpenter made it totally work. In Angel she brought that to the next level and became a leader.

I don't know anything about acting so don't know if an actor having an acting coach is even a revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Lots of actors have acting coaches. It doesn’t mean they are bad actors.

I remember watching one of those Hollywood reporter actors round table things and quite a few said they use an acting coach. And these were much bigger actors than CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

brevity wrote: »
    Lots of actors have acting coaches. It doesn’t mean they are bad actors.

I remember watching one of those Hollywood reporter actors round table things and quite a few said they use an acting coach. And these were much bigger actors than CC.

Was just about to post this. Imagine thinking Roger Federer or Tiger Woods were bad because they have coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Carpenter as Cordy was the heart and soul of Angel and the best development arc of any character in the Buffy universe until Wheaton fired her and destroyed the character.

I'd also be pretty sure every actor working today has an acting coach especially those working in US tv and films.

2019 still using one.
    https://twitter.com/allcharisma/status/1146222291237269504

Her coach even appeared on screen in s02e01 of Angel as an "acting teacher".

Okay, but they way phrased with “obviously” made it seem like something you were just making up. She WAS being coached.

It really fell off a cliff as a show when she left and her send off was so bad... In terms of actors that were particularly great in it, Julie Benz and Carpenter really shone in it.

Just want to say love how this thread has become a Buffy/Angel retrospective. :D

Just want to say love how this thread has become a Buffy/Angel retrospective. :D

Was thinking that.:P I do think there's something very sad about how Buffy in particular was a pretty landmark TV show from the empowerment angle plus even in terms of episodes like Joyce dying or Hush. But the creator is somewhat the antithesis of his work.

I just started a Buffy rewatch and it's definitely soured a bit now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Fisher stuff is still very interesting as Wheaton would have only worked on Justice League from May 2017 to it release in November 2017.

So he really only would have had about 5 months in total, Cut that down to actual on set directing of reshoots and working with Fisher could then be down to a couple of weeks actual face to face working.

So what the hell sparked whatever happened.

• Advertisement

Was thinking that.:P I do think there's something very sad about how Buffy in particular was a pretty landmark TV show from the empowerment angle plus even in terms of episodes like Joyce dying or Hush. But the creator is somewhat the antithesis of his work.

Yeah...the way I see it the show was a sum of its parts; Whedon deserves credit but so do the cast and writers. I'll always look back fondly on it.

What I would say though is that even as a kid capable of watching tough TV, Whedon laid the misery on thick. It just got worse as each season progressed and I remember Whedon having the fans wrapped around his finger, making them believe him killing whoever made for some quality storytelling and him some sort of genius.

But then you read a story like James Marston's about how Whedon freaked out at him over the popularity of Spike and makes you wonder did this guy just pile on the misery in the show because that is simply who he is.

The Fisher stuff is still very interesting as Wheaton would have only worked on Justice League from May 2017 to it release in November 2017.

So he really only would have had about 5 months in total, Cut that down to actual on set directing of reshoots and working with Fisher could then be down to a couple of weeks actual face to face working.

So what the hell sparked whatever happened.

From everything I've read Geoff Johns brought Whedon in as some sort of saviour and they simply bit off more than they could chew.

Snyder's actors are known to be fiercely loyal and they resisted in any way they could before being abused into submission.

I'm not trying to get in to a fight with all of you.
    Joss Whedon isn't a nice person but he was basically the showrunner simultaneously for 2 and for a period of time 3 shows on prime time TV.
    The livelihoods of hundreds of people in the industry depended on the renewal of those shows. People were paying mortgages and putting kids through school. I think I remember this was mentioned in DVD commentary when season 5 was cancelled, it might have been firefly commentary, could have been both.
    He is being demonized for treating an actor shabbily but he only got a fifth season of Angel by freeing budget to get Marsters in the cast. He had also written himself in to a corner with Winifred Burkle and Cordelia Chase.
    The DVD commentary for Angel talks about him making a cruel joke telling Amy Acker that he was killing her character off. Luckily for her she got another character as they liked acting with her. Carpenter didn't. If she was on lower wages and not second lead she might have survived in to season 5 as her Agent hadn't capitalised on her popularity to get her a lead role in a sitcom and jump ship while she had some momentum.
    She eventually switched agent after years of being under-employed and having a whiff of being a problem actor which was probably unfair.
    The show had a very small budget especially after buffy and angel went to different networks. something had to give. she wasn't even on great salary as second lead but Marsters was a bigger name than she was and was the difference between renewal and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Where's the Snyder cut of these shows?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Where's the Snyder cut of these shows?

I don't think even I'd want that but I tell you what I think Snyder could cast a reboot pretty impressively. ;)

I'm not trying to get in to a fight with all of you.
    Joss Whedon isn't a nice person but he was basically the showrunner simultaneously for 2 and for a period of time 3 shows on prime time TV.
    The livelihoods of hundreds of people in the industry depended on the renewal of those shows. People were paying mortgages and putting kids through school. I think I remember this was mentioned in DVD commentary when season 5 was cancelled, it might have been firefly commentary, could have been both.
    He is being demonized for treating an actor shabbily but he only got a fifth season of Angel by freeing budget to get Marsters in the cast. He had also written himself in to a corner with Winifred Burkle and Cordelia Chase.
    The DVD commentary for Angel talks about him making a cruel joke telling Amy Acker that he was killing her character off. Luckily for her she got another character as they liked acting with her. Carpenter didn't. If she was on lower wages and not second lead she might have survived in to season 5 as her Agent hadn't capitalised on her popularity to get her a lead role in a sitcom and jump ship while she had some momentum.
    She eventually switched agent after years of being under-employed and having a whiff of being a problem actor which was probably unfair.
    The show had a very small budget especially after buffy and angel went to different networks. something had to give. she wasn't even on great salary as second lead but Marsters was a bigger name than she was and was the difference between renewal and not.

What point are you trying to make?

Mods...any chance of sorting this mess out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The thread is about the Justice League film. Whedon directed the film following Snyders departure. Now he has some drama surrounding him some of which occurred during the filming of Justice League.

It's on topic. There is nothing to sort out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Folks, I appreciate that there's not much else to talk about but try to stay on topic.

To clarify: The Whedon discussion was was mostly on topic when it related a member of the JL cast accusing him of abusive behaviour on the JL set. But it's well off topic when it turns into a discussion of Whedon's behaviour on the set of Buffy/Angel and acting ability one of the stars of those shows. I don't think this justifies a separate thread on the Films forum - take it to the Metoo/misconduct thread if you have to.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So has anyone figured out how we will see it legally here on release date?

Advertisement