Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is Loki in this Jon? Spoiler the answer I suppose.

Can't wait to see this at the weekend.
    Naw

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Loughc wrote: »
    How was the whole day? Was it a good setup, did they have other food in for ye or just the usually cinema stuff? Would you do it again?

Sorry for all the questions, I was mad to go myself purely to see if I could do it but work got in that way.

It's alright.I would be the same.
    Yeah it was good.They didn't have anything set up for us.They had done a deal popcorn and drink for 13 euro free refills for the drinks.
    Yeah I would do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Jon Stark wrote: »
    No complaints from me really and I actually preferred it to the first. Ultron worked really well as an antagonist and for me it was the first time Marvel were able to grip me with a villain. Loki is great but not a serious threat and is more of a shade of grey at this stage.

I also thought the new characters worked really well particularly Wanda.

I agree, I really enjoyed it, though it may be coloured by the fact that I went to a triple bill showing Avengers Assemble & Cap 2 beforehand so I was all excited & probably would've loved it no matter what. The new characters definitely worked well, wasn't expecting to like all of them as much as I did. Ultron in particular was a really fun villain.
    Clint's hidden family kind of threw me a bit, wasn't expecting that but I suppose that was the point. It was really nice to have a backstory for him & Nat at last. The whole sterilisation thing seemed like something that should've been saved for a Black Widow movie though, where her background could really be explored. Didn't really like the characterisation of Tony, I know he's always arrogant but it felt forced or something in AOU. It does set up some good tension for Civil War though. Loved the party scene with Mjolnir, especially when Cap moves it a bit. And everyone's faces when Vision hands it to Thor, that got a big laugh at our showing.

Definitely want to see it again when I'm less fatigued!

Had booked the week off work without realising it was released on same. Got in a 10am showing in the hope of beating the morons and so I did, only 4 people in the theatre. Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Went to see it in IMAX this morning expecting only a handful but there were at least 100 people there. :pac:

Enjoyed it, would probably put it in my top 3 Marvel movies to date along with Winter Soldier and the original Iron Man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My 10.40 showing was packed with bloody school Kids >.<

Ouch, hope they were quiet at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

According to my entertainment.ie app most cinemas seem to be showing this in 2D, is that right?

Odeon are anyway.

There's like 6 2D showings a day (which is crazy enough when you don't even throw in 3D) in my nearest IMC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Most of Black Widow's backstory was shown already in an Agent Carter episode. I would have been kind of confused had I not seen that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

e_e wrote: »
    Ouch, hope they were quiet at least!

They weren't, and their teacher who was sitting in front of me was louder than they were :P

I liked it a lot. Bout the same as guardians, less than winter solider and Avengers Assemble. Have to see it again for a more definitive opinion, but I loved it (I was expecting to so)

Forgot to say that I was also a fan of the action, it had a great coherency and strategy to it. Mindless it wasn't.

Also, Serkis' cameo is a highlight, a lot of potential laid down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Very meh I felt until the last 45 mins. Hawkeye was the star of this for me. Poor villains once again the only downfall to marvel movies compared to DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

Just out of the cinema, thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

same her just out and was left a bit cold by it.

its good but IMO not great.

maybe its the fact i was stuck with a 3d viewing and i found it incredibly hard to follow the action at time (didnt think it added all that much to it either).

ill be going again with the bro and me best mate to see a 2D version in the near future so ill be back in to give a second jab at this .

now dont get me wrong theres some great stuff in this, i loved the stuff with hulk and black widow, that worked really well on an emotional level and the effects are grand.

its just IMO the First one seemed to do a much better job . these films really should be epic and it just felt too "small" or something. still its enjoyable and cap in particular is done hell of alot better in this one. the attack on struckers hydra base for instance shows a levle of ability from him thats up there with winter soldier, and there is some lovely mixing and matching of characters abilities in combat.

i give it a 7/10.

oh and the tag post the first set of credits is fun so dont leave early.

:D

EDIT.

Meant to say the 2nd ad for ant man ran before my showing and man that looks like a laugh, everyone cracked up at the thomas the tank engine bit !

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ok my thoughts on this

Going to spoiler all of this
    I'm going to start off with Ultron , Really well done, I've read countless books and seen countless animated versions of this and James spader really hit the nail on the head with his potrayal the right amount of creepiness and also even more impressive i thought anyway a certain innocence about him almost childlike at times, Really reminded me of Kingpin from the Daredevil Netflix show so so well done, My one thing about him is maybe we didn't get the to see the full potential of Ultron not really seeing him taking over the internet (even though it mentioned) , I hope he isn't gone permanantly because he does have a lot more to give.

Onto the hero's loved the new additions vision quicksilver and wanda and was sort of gutted Pietro died , Really wanted to see more of him in the future although in saying that i'm glad he saved Hawkeye who really got his 1st proper avengers performance in (the whole family thing) that seemed so off but yet it fit if that makes sense , Vision was amazing loved seeing him in the flesh or plastic or whatever it was , You've got to think what does the future hold for him though with Thanos surely getting his hands on that gem in his forehead

Thanos in the aftercredits scene ......This pissed me off no end, He lost a lot of his grandiose i feel in that stinger, The way he picked up the Gauntlet oh I'll do it myself seemed straight out of a saturday morning cartoon it was so cheesy

The avengers themselves all got a fair shake it's going to be cool to see what happens the hulk now its not really clear where he ends up in space ? at sea ? fiji ? one thing though when has a Hulkbuster actually busted the Hulk Ironman leaving at the end seems so similar to where he was leaving in IM3 yet he was back in the action the minute this movie started Thor's story is going to be awesome in Ragnorok if that vision he has starts to come through and plus Loki is sitting on the Asguardian Throne now
    Cap is Cap he's so well written and so well acted same goes for Widow really love her character and the stuff with Hulk although odd seemed very natural

Non spoiler territory now I loved the film and I thought it was just as good as the 1st , I think where people are saying it's lost the magic , Its'a little silly the only diffrence is there not fighting Aliens this time and its a lot more earth based than the 1st one

and as much praise as Wheedon gets i'll be glad to see the back off him I feel he was let of the leash at times here , His humour is everywhere and at times distracting , Almost too much , By all means make the film funny , but its a superhero film , its not a comedy

I feel he'd be just at home writing tween comedies as he is with big budget Superhero fare

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Just back from the cinema.Film was a heap of sh!t. First one was way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Very disappointing. Loved the first one. Wheadon would be more at home writing the script for Saved by the bell. His humour lacks any edge like a dad trying to be cool. I was cringing at the jokes. The hulk looked good and I grew to like Hawkeye a lot more than the first too. Well done to Renner . The action was way too fast, a cheap trick to cover bad effects. At least I saw it in 2-d. The cast were solid though and I'll go see the sequel but dump Wheadon big time he's used all his tricks. The next outing needs a lot better edge and action.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Maybe it's just me but I loved it. Action from end to end and some great one liners in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭paulj13

Did anybody notice the Irish female voice used?
    When Ironman switched the HUD voice to "friday" after losing jarvis its a female voice and has a Dublin Accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,552 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

paulj13 wrote: »
    When Ironman switched the HUD voice to "friday" after losing jarvis its a female voice and has a Dublin Accent.

It was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well that was class!! Can't believe people were leaving before the mid credits ending. The twins were handled very good and future stories being setup very nicely. Bring on Civil War!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Not even remotely Dublin. It's Kerry Condon voicing FRIDAY, she's from Tipperary, and has been popping up in US Film & Television a lot recently. I know it's her actual accent and respect to her for landing such big roles, but her accent goes through me sometimes. Surprisingly she did a fantastic American accent in Better Call Saul. I say, let her do an American accent until the cows come home.

Loved the movie though. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It is
    Kerry Condon doing the voice she is on a bit of a roll lately with roles in The Walking Dead & Better Call Saul and now this.

I enjoyed it. Lots of laughs, lots of action, and James Spader chewing the scenery. Paul Bethany was great and I really enjoyed seeing their more human sides. However my biggest criticism was you could tell that it was essentially, Avengers: the feature length trailer of the next Marvel movies for the next decade.

Probably mentioned, but is it true that Whedon won't be doing the third?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Loughc wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I loved it. Action from end to end and some great one liners in it.

Yeah I'm not getting the hate from some on here, it did everything I expected from a Avengers film. I don't think it top Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier (seen that in IMAX last night was amazing) as my favourite Marvel film. I have to see it again to see if it holds up to the first film. But I thought it was a great blockbuster popcorn film.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoyed it. Lots of laughs, lots of action, and James Spader chewing the scenery. Paul Bethany was great and I really enjoyed seeing their more human sides. However my biggest criticism was you could tell that it was essentially, Avengers: the feature length trailer of the next Marvel movies for the next decade.

Probably mentioned, but is it true that Whedon won't be doing the third?

He won't his contract ends with this, The Russo brothers are taking over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Well that was class!! Can't believe people were leaving before the mid credits ending. The twins were handled very good and future stories being setup very nicely. Bring on Civil War!!

It's amazing to think that Captain America is turning into probably the best Marvel character, he was been written off by many but Winter soldier is by far the best stand alone Avenger movie. I'm really looking forward to Civil War but will they have the balls to
    Kill off Captain America

• Advertisement

He won't his contract ends with this, The Russo brothers are taking over now.

That's kind of worrying. Joss Whedon is one of the few directors that can handle many big characters on screen at the same time and have the fights make sense. Assuming it's not a spoiler, because of course it will happen, but there's one scene with all the Avengers fighting alongside each other as the camera pans, and you can still understand what is happening. Can you imagine that in the hands of Michael Bay? Winter Soldier was amazing, but it wasn't on the scale of what Avengers 3 will be .. Especially the new people, assuming that Ant Man joins.

Advertisement