Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers: Age of Ultron [** SPOILERS FROM POST 599 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think the very last thing the MCU should do is introduce time-travel and alternate universes: comics mythology reads like a disaster area of retcons, reboots and surprise-twists in the character bios for the last 30 years and I'd hate to see those kind of narratives leak into the TV and movie adaptations.

Thats part and parcel with comics and Marvel so wouldn't be that complicated to fans. And I strongly doubt that in 20 years or so Downey Jnr will still be playing Stark, so it'd never reach the same level of messiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,331 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm going to do the triple bill not sure I'll be awake though when AoU starts I was working last night and haven't slept since about 9 am yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just saw it about an hour ago, VERY happy! :D

only possible disappointment was the lack of the usual proper post-post credits scene, although there is a bit after the first section of the end 'thing' (not sure what else to call it).

i don't want to spoil it for anyone, but i will say that hawkeye gets a good shake in this one, and ultron doesn't disappoint, actually i don't think anyone did disappoint at all and there were several scenes where everyone had some good laugh out loud moments, plus a few where i was cursing the social etiquette preventing me from whooping and cheering out loud and fist pumping the air! :D

if i had to pick one thing as a favourite (and i really couldn't) it would be paul bettany immediately and absolutely owning the vision from the very first scene in the same way that (g)ruffalo did with the hulk and RDJ did with iron man way back when.

happy to answer any questions (i'll spoiler them if appropriate) if anyone isn't going to get to see it right away but wants to know something about it. :)

will be tomo tho, it's almost 1am here and i'm up at 5:30am, so i'm off to bed!

EDIT: actually, scratch that, pretty much the whole plot was (accurately) posted a couple of pages back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Guys I have a ticket to the trilogy tonight in Cineworld because someone dropped out, starts in 40 mins. Any takers?! 23 euro!

Will rescind offer in 5 :D Just trying to get some money here!

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was a long shot :) More leg room I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Down to my last film now can't wait.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah, it was a long shot :) More leg room I guess.

You were sounding desperate there Dan. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Anyone else see this? Recommend skipping on till about the 5 min mark. Terrible

https://youtu.be/ALBwaO-rAsE

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

cronin_j wrote: »
    Anyone else see this? Recommend skipping on till about the 5 min mark. Terrible

https://youtu.be/ALBwaO-rAsE
    Yep, saw it earlier.

I think Tarantino was a little out-of-line in his infamous interview with Krishnan.. but Krishnan is definitely out of line in this to be honest.

Came across terrible altogether, and while RDJ probably shouldn't have walked off (simply due to it's almost giving Channel 4 the publicity they'd like) - he came across as the better person after it.

• Advertisement

There we go finished.Can't wait to go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There we go finished.Can't wait to go to bed.
    Did the 24 hour marathon not conclude with a midnight showing of AoU?

We seen it at 7pm till 9.30

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We seen it at 7pm till 9.30

Well done Eddie. Hope you enjoyed the day. Let us know what you thought of the day when you wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

All these people that did the marathons are they gonna be hunted out to make way for us who just paid for avengers or are we doomed to have **** seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

All these people that did the marathons are they gonna be hunted out to make way for us who just paid for avengers or are we doomed to have **** seats

Well the people that have seen the marathons have already seen ultron I think :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nope here in showtime were going in right after winter soldier

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

That was awesome. Marvel are very very clever in what they are not doing every bit as much as what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Just back from the triple bill Marvel Imax 3D showing they did in Cineworld tonight, and have to say Age of Ultron was a brilliant thrill ride from the first minute to the last.

The trailers made it feel like it was going to be a darker and bleaker Avengers film but in places its laugh out funny, The
    Party scene
    alone is one of the funniest scenes of the year. Chris Hemsworth and Jeremy Renner for sure get given some of the funniest moments of the film and I have to say Hemsworth gives his best performance so far as Thor in Age of Ultron
    Thor, thinking he fooled Wanda's mind tricky was one great Highlight and Thor trying to get the rest of the Avengers to lift the Hammer was laugh out funny and his drunken party talk was great too

The film also has heart especially the plot line between
    Bruce Banner and Black Widow, Widow been the only one who can calm down the Hulk. But Widow falling for Banner. Ruffalo and Johansson are brilliant in those scenes
    . Robert Downey JR is great as always as Tony Stark/Iron Man as is Chris Evans as Captain America and I did like
    The tension they give them throughout the film which should lead on to Captain America Civil War
    . I think Joss Whedon did a great job to not have one of the Avengers been under used.

Onto the Action and by god they don't let you down on this
    The Opening fight, Hulk and Iron Man fight in South Africa (my favourite fight in the film) and the Final Battle in a fictional Eastern European city
    you definitely see the moneys worth on the screen.

Onto the new cast, James Spader's Ultron was a very good villain but also very funny in places. Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor Johnson as Wanda and Quicksilver, did well with what they were given although
    Quicksilver dying I wonder how his death will go down with the fanboys, it was one of the nitpicks of the film for me
    . From the Cameos
    Don Cheadle's War Machine got the best and some of the great laughs, but it was great to see Anthony Mackie's Falcon get some screen time. also Andy Serkis with brilliant African accent was great in his tiny role
    . I was also happy that
    Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts and Nathalie Portman's Jane were nowhere on the scene
    . Also the Easter Egg was one of the best
    Thanos is going to do the job himself

Great blockbuster and a ton of fun, I need to rewatch it again in the next few weeks to see where it sits in the Marvel Canon but it gets a 9/10 on first viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

James Spader steals every scene he is in, the film was having trouble finding its feet in the first quarter then Spader gets into full swing and there is a very specific point with him and andy serkis and the film just goes up from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I dunno, it was good and I was entertained...but did anyone else feel that the film was just missing...something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Saw it tonight in The Arc in Drogheda. They started showing the first Avengers movie for a good 20 minutes before stopping and asking us to change screens and switch to 2D! Was kind of happy it was 2D in the end.

As for the film, it doesn't disappoint. Sets up the Marvel Universe nicely. The last fight scene was a bit forgettable however.
    Also, regarding Quicksilver I have to agree with Looper007.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What are thoughts on the 3D for this? Film-ruining or tolerable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I dunno, it was good and I was entertained...but did anyone else feel that the film was just missing...something?

Spiderman:p

I really liked it especially the last fight scene.I though the 3d was really good with it much better than some other films.

I really liked it especially the last fight scene.I though the 3d was really good with it much better than some other films.

How was the whole day? Was it a good setup, did they have other food in for ye or just the usually cinema stuff? Would you do it again?

Sorry for all the questions, I was mad to go myself purely to see if I could do it but work got in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Went to the midnight screening last night but was fairly disappointed. The main plotline is totally inconsequential and bland. It spends so much time setting up other films and cramming as many characters on screen as possible that it forgets to tell a compelling story.

Having said that, it looks gorgeous and there are nice action moments and decent laughs in there. Definitely doesn't have the magic of the first film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

titan18 wrote: »
    What are thoughts on the 3D for this? Film-ruining or tolerable?

In my opinion it added nothing whatsoever. If you have the choice I'd opt for a 2D screening, but it depends entirely on your own preference for 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

No complaints from me really and I actually preferred it to the first. Ultron worked really well as an antagonist and for me it was the first time Marvel were able to grip me with a villain. Loki is great but not a serious threat and is more of a shade of grey at this stage.

I also thought the new characters worked really well particularly Wanda.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jon Stark wrote: »
    No complaints from me really and I actually preferred it to the first. Ultron worked really well as an antagonist and for me it was the first time Marvel were able to grip me with a villain. Loki is great but not a serious threat and is more of a shade of grey at this stage.

I also thought the new characters worked really well particularly Wanda.

Is Loki in this Jon? Spoiler the answer I suppose.

Can't wait to see this at the weekend.

Advertisement