Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk of summer from Tuesday!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Big Tone wrote: »
    It's also Southern Spain :D maybe inland toward Central Spain is hotter.

Andalusia is one of the hottest places in Europe and it is located in Southern Spain (as Su said it has max temperature averages of +35° during the summer months). Record temperatures are seldom recorded in coastal locations because of sea breezes. However, it is often better to be in the hotter inland locations during heat waves because the air is dryer and therefore you sweat less. I would pick +44° with low humidity any day over +35° with high humidity.

Going back to the temperature records, the official highest temperature ever recorded in Europe is 48° in Athens (located near the sea but in this case there was a dry off shore wind blowing). The unofficial record is held by Catenanuova in Sicily, Italy with a temp of +48.5°. There is a report of +50° in Seville but that record has been discarded.

I think that ***inland*** Andalusia has the potential to beat the Athens record, but I would say that on Fri-Sat temeratures won't break the +47° mark. Anyways we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The southern coast of Spain can get very hot when the Terral wind blows, which is a type of Föhn that occurs with northerly airflow over the mountains inland of the coast.

This is Aemet's prediction for max temperatures on Thursday. It will update to Friday's tomorrow.

tw3gp099.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

patneve2 wrote: »
    I think that ***inland*** Andalusia has the potential to beat the Athens record, but I would say that on Fri-Sat temeratures won't break the +47° mark. Anyways we'll see.

Seville could very well be that ***inland*** location in Andalucia :)

The Spanish Met have today issued a special Heatwave Warning for tomorrow up to Sunday, with "40 °C being reached or exceeded in many places in the southern half of the country and the Ebro valley, and 35 °C in most of the rest of the peninsula and the Balearics". I can't see the records being beaten though, as northern African stations only reported 46 today in warmer uppers and dry desert conditions.

http://www.aemet.es/documentos_d/enportada/p52tesp1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Has anyone noticed the crazy amounts of flying ants about today?... they wer everywhere!
    Accumulating near trees or poles and turning into flying ants there then... crazy stuff. fecking humidity aye?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

New thread to watch the temp in Spain? The latest GFS has it up to 46C around Sevilla on Friday

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=eses&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=tmp2&HH=3&INFO=0&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=1&PERIOD=31

Can't say I've noticed flying ants here but summer has definitely arrived this week, unbroken sunshine all day today and no daytime rainfall since the morning of the 1st.

A big north/south contrast again in terms of rainfall, only around 5mm along the north coast compared to over 50mm widely in the south so far this month. Cork will hopefully get a long overdue break for the rest of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the crazy amounts of flying ants about today?... they wer everywhere!
    Accumulating near trees or poles and turning into flying ants there then... crazy stuff. fecking humidity aye?!

Oh yes I have! There's hundreds of the little buggers all over the patio and all over the shed walls!

Spiders were having a field day!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Iancar29 wrote: »

Yes had them here today too, they are a bit earlier than the last few years usually around the middle of the month and allways a nice hot day, they seem to get attracted to the whitewashed walls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes had them here today too, they are a bit earlier than the last few years usually around the middle of the month and allways a nice hot day

They are a sign of a warm winter, just like last christmas. :)

The Spanish Met's latest max temperature forecast for Friday.

tw3gp099.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No sign of it yet - utter muck outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They are a sign of a warm winter, just like last christmas. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuptial_flight#Flying_ant_day

looked like it snowed outside my back door yesterday from all them bleedin ants :) B**tards were everywhere.

Boiling water gets rid of them. Must have been that 'Flying Ant day '

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

not looking to bad now for tomorrow

12080912_0812.gif

Great day again today, not a cloud in the sky all day. Comfortably the best week of weather we've had here since the heatwave back in May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Lovely lovely day today... lots of sunshine.

Holding out a wee bit of (drastically overblown) hope that it reaches over 27c in oakpark tomorrow.... lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It's quite cool here in Dublin 4.

Every couple of hours a sea fog/mist rolls in and bring the temps down.
    At least it not raining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

well ballyfarnon in the car was 21.5c today only 8.5c away from my prediction and a week to go! (15th August contest..Ballyfarnon is just outside Keadue in Co Roscommon)

Sligo was 22.8c
    Claremorris was 22.9c

Tomorrow 24c will be broken

Then 26c on Friday

Think my 30c is a bit optimistic for 15th though it might be 21c that day.

Overall the temperatures are quite good this month.

I would agree, pauldry. Forecast thickness of around 562 dm, 850 theta-e of up to 46 °C, high soil moisture content, and the fact that there should be some Sc coverage spoiling the sunshine in places, all point to a maximum possible temperature tomorrow of 24-25 °C. West of the Shannon looking the warmest.

Friday I would add 1-2 degrees to this due to probable better insolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Oh dear the south west really is gloomy, whereas I'm basking in glorious sunshine.

Today

216348.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Redsunset wrote: »
    Oh dear the south west really is gloomy, whereas I'm basking in glorious sunshine.

Yup, I'm in that gloom a few miles south of Nenagh in North Tipp..... and it started raining at 14.15 !!

I can see blue skies both to my east (roughly in your direction, Red) and also to my west.

I was depending on today, tomorrow or the first half of Saturday to cut my grass jungle...... the window narrows :(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Overcast, misty, warm ("close" as they say in Met Eireann, never hear US meterologists say that) but dull in Cork this afternoon with sea fog rolling in again later on this evening....! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Good image showing that hot airmass spreading up over Spain.

216356.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Blue sky in Galway City and its roasting hot :D

42 °C now at Córdoba (90 m) and Granada (567 m) Airports. Moron de la Frontera, southeast of Sevilla, is 41, with dewpoint 20 °C. That's muggy.....

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gmetar?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=40N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2012&mes=08&day=09&hora=14&min=00&vte=Te

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Blue sky in Galway City and its roasting hot :D

Delighted for you. At least the risk of Summer has receeded quickly here in Cork so we can all breathe a sigh of relief now! :eek:

43.3C in Cordoba now according to wunderground

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=MAT388

A thin layer of cloud here today which is allowing the sun through now and again, not a patch on the past few days but still a good warm summers day

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cloudy but warm so so warm :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Scorchio in Galway City, cloudy to south and east but a hole punched in the cloud near the bay and it's scorchio here with sunshine all day ( bar 1 hour this morning)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm pretty disappointed. Have hay on the ground and it looks like I'll be very lucky to save it. Its really humid, no breeze and not even sunny in Carlow.

Oh well. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement