Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] London 2012 Men's triathlon 07/08/2012 11:30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

MrCreosote wrote: »
    29:07 for Alistair Brownlee on the run apparently.

What is it with tris and the runs being shorter than advertised?!

There's a percentage tolerance. Pity they don't have it as "not less than" 10k. Does anybody have the exact distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Jaysus! Some crazy loud red skinny trousers on Bryan Keane in RTE studio!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Got the order of 1, 2 or 3 right this time €140 :D:D also had Hauus e/w at 80/1, not sure yet if top 4 are placed.

Fair play to Noble, best I have ever seen him race. Delighted for Alastair and Gomez. Pen made no difference and Johnny really deserved his medal too. And what about Frodeno, gusty performance, not giving up the title without a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

steve9859 wrote: »
    penalty made no difference in the end. Jonny was being dropped by Alistair and Gomez on lap 3 anyway and would probably have come 3rd, penalty or not

Yeah, that's what I meant, he deserved silver and would have got it regardless of the penalty which in the end was insignificant.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Delighted for Noble. It was great to see the irish colours so prominent in the bike section of the race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Watched it at lunchtime, AB is a beast plain and simple just love the way he attacks and races. The swim fairly opened up things, even if Murray was in the lead pack off the bike he would have had difficulty overhauling Gomez/JB for a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Apologies if its been asked before / dumb question, but why do they use road bikes instead of tri bikes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can't use them in draft legal races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Genghis

I don't think there is any reason to think this particular course was short. See below course details and note the specific details given for the cycle course. If they weren't bothered about the length of the course they would have 'advertised' this as 40km, and not described it as "43km – seven (7) laps of a 6.137km course".

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/Venue/01/25/45/49/Triathlon_Neutral.pdf

I believe the 10km course was 10km.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If it was 10km he probably would have beaten Mo Farah in the 10000m if he's running that off the bike...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do they include the transition area in any of those distances?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

no sir that was most likely a 10 k run this was just the best run ever by a triathlete.full stop . did you notice he put 75 seconds in most of the other top 10 runner who are about 30 ,15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

peter kern wrote: »
    no sir that was most likely a 10 k run this was just the best run ever by a triathlete.full stop . did you notice he put 75 seconds in most of the other top 10 runner who are about 30 ,15.

and when you consider how much he slowed up over the last 100m (especially the last 10 or 20) versus the rest of the field that put in a sprint finish for the last 100m. I think if he had to, AB could have done a sprint finish but it just wasnt required

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Noticed that one of the commentators mentioned that triathlon is becoming a young mans game. Do you think that we will see many 30 something Olympians in Rio or is the sport attracting younger athletes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

If it was 10km he probably would have beaten Mo Farah in the 10000m if he's running that off the bike...

I don't think the top triathletes differ that much in their times off the bike. He ran a 29:15 in a 10km road race last year so with the added pressure of trying to shake gomez off (and then showboating at the end) 29:10 is about ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Times across the board suggest run course was shorter than normal imo.
    Yes it's the Olympics, and yes everyone peaked but runs were 1min - 1:20min + faster than normal for pretty much everyone.
    Elite Women produced Mid 33's which I don't think is normal and Alistair would've been a 28:55 or so but for his sauntering getting flag and walking across line.

Hard to ever know distance unless someone does it and posts a GPS map.
    Olympics produced faster running all round than we're used to seeing by the ITU athletes though. Faster by around 1min ish.

Let's compare.

Kitzbuhel:
    Men
    A Brownlee - 29:51
    Gomez - 30:51
    Bryukankov - 30:59

Women
    Spirig - 34:57
    Norden - 34:55
    Hewitt - 35:03

Olympics:
    Men
    A Brownlee - 29:07 - with a saunter getting flag and eventually reaching line - easily gave 10 secs away
    Gomez - 29:16
    Bryukankov - 30:10

Women
    Spirig - 33:41
    Norden - 33:42
    Hewitt - 34:30

So in fairness London was over 1min faster for the 10k run across the board when comparing to Kitzbuhel.
    What's to say Kitzbuhel is accurate though. I don't know.
    Point remains that runs were 1min faster than most of the ITU run's - be it Madrid, Sydney, Kitzbuhel etc and 1min for both men and women so suggests a shorter course or else everyone peaked understandably so but by massive 1min+ gains for the lot...

I'm sure it's within ITU's 10% rule but we may never know exact distance.
    If London is accurate 10km then all the other courses must be a tad longer to explain all the runs being much faster.

No taking away from the fact Alistair Brownlee buried himself in that run and absolutely blitzed it in fairness.
    Great race to watch and that's how to do it!

i am sure there is some map my run freaks that can meassure it
    and a few garmin guys in london

http://www.london2012.com/triathlon/event/men/coursemap/

Fazz wrote: »
    Times across the board suggest run course was shorter than normal imo.
    Yes it's the Olympics, and yes everyone peaked but runs were 1min - 1:20min + faster than normal for pretty much everyone.
    Elite Women produced Mid 33's which I don't think is normal and Alistair would've been a 28:55 or so but for his sauntering getting flag and walking across line.

Hard to ever know distance unless someone does it and posts a GPS map.
    Olympics produced faster running all round than we're used to seeing by the ITU athletes though. Faster by around 1min ish.

Let's compare.

Kitzbuhel:
    Men
    A Brownlee - 29:51
    Gomez - 30:51
    Bryukankov - 30:59

Women
    Spirig - 34:57
    Norden - 34:55
    Hewitt - 35:03

Olympics:
    Men
    A Brownlee - 29:07 - with a saunter getting flag and eventually reaching line - easily gave 10 secs away
    Gomez - 29:16
    Bryukankov - 30:10

Women
    Spirig - 33:41
    Norden - 33:42
    Hewitt - 34:30

So in fairness London was over 1min faster for the 10k run across the board when comparing to Kitzbuhel.
    What's to say Kitzbuhel is accurate though. I don't know.
    Point remains that runs were 1min faster than most of the ITU run's - be it Madrid, Sydney, Kitzbuhel etc and 1min for both men and women so suggests a shorter course or else everyone peaked understandably so but by massive 1min+ gains for the lot...

I'm sure it's within ITU's 10% rule but we may never know exact distance.
    If London is accurate 10km then all the other courses must be a tad longer to explain all the runs being much faster.

No taking away from the fact Alistair Brownlee buried himself in that run and absolutely blitzed it in fairness.
    Great race to watch and that's how to do it!

here i can only say I think that in both races in kitzbuhl that brownles and gomes lead a front back of 6 doing all the work
    and spirig had to tt 40 k to catch the leader on the bike which zaps the legs more than being in the pack most off the time .
    as you can see with stu hayes .

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

I had the same doubts as I'm very sceptical about tri distances and it's a pet peeve of mine. But, Steve Cram just said on BBC that Hugh Jones measured the course and that it was spot on. Jones is well known as a measurement obsessive. If JOnes says it was 10km I believe him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I don't really think it was short. Although AB made a comment afterwards that he thought that it might be when he heard his run time.

He's talking about aiming for the 10k on the track for the Commonwealth Games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Rawhead wrote: »
    Noticed that one of the commentators mentioned that triathlon is becoming a young mans game. Do you think that we will see many 30 something Olympians in Rio or is the sport attracting younger athletes?

Assuming the Brownlees aren't just freaks of nature, then it follows that they are now the prototype for sprint/Oly distance.

Once they get too old/slow, they can do what everyone else does, and move up to IM:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Three years ago he ran sub 30 in the Great Ireland run in the Phoenix park which is a hilly course. That was only a year after he finished 12th in Beijing so it gives an indication of how much he as improved since then. He is well capable of running sub 29 on a flat course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

pc11 wrote: »
    I had the same doubts as I'm very sceptical about tri distances and it's a pet peeve of mine. But, Steve Cram just said on BBC that Hugh Jones measured the course and that it was spot on. Jones is well known as a measurement obsessive. If JOnes says it was 10km I believe him.

Heard about this also so sounds like it was accurate.

Everyone upped their game and peaked for Olympics and killed the run so fair play to all.

Sure made for epic racing for us.

i checked the last lap he run in 7.33
    the others 3 an average of 7.11 ( i could not find the 2,5 k split after the first lap so if anybody finds it (watching a recap of the race other than rte ) I would appreciate it to analyse the pacing a bit

ps I would still love people to run the course and meassure it on map my run as I am curious if it really was the first sub 29 min run till 100m before the finish line .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

i checked the last lap he run in 7.33
    the others 3 an average of 7.11 ( i could not find the 2,5 k split after the first lap so if anybody finds it (watching a recap of the race other than rte ) I would appreciate it to analyse the pacing a bit

ps I would still love people to run the course and meassure it on map my run as I am curious if it really was the first sub 29 min run till 100m before the finish line .

Lap 1 7:00
    Lap 2 7:16
    Lap 3 7:18
    Lap 4 7:33

From here, although lap one only started at the end of transition, while the other laps seemed to be clocked from the start of transition. http://www.london2012.com/triathlon/event/men/phase=trm001100/doc=summary.html

Lap 1 7:00
    Lap 2 7:16
    Lap 3 7:18
    Lap 4 7:33

From here, although lap one only started at the end of transition, while the other laps seemed to be clocked from the start of transition. http://www.london2012.com/triathlon/event/men/phase=trm001100/doc=summary.html

great stuff thanks !
    splits are taken from the end of transition for all laps. and for the first k you would expect them to run about 2.40 -2.42
    gomez even 4 years ago often run sub 2.45 min for first km

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see @trisutto is slagging off most of the lads on twitter saying they need to take a look in the mirror and that the girls were faster over the first 5k :D

well spirig and noble run the same speed for last lap .

and yes i have been confirmed that the run course was meassured out acurately 10 k by the guy that meassures the london marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Seen this live and really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere. Can't agree with comments above that 15 second penalty had no impact on medals. JB would probably have run a different type of 10k if he had no penalty. I think he was running to secure the bronze, would have been a different set of tactics if he was running purely for gold/silver.

Advertisement