Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time For A Bit of Forum Feedback

Options
  • 04-08-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone

So as per is customary around these parts, we thought it was time for us as forum Mods to open a Forum Feedback thread.

Here's your chance to discuss al that you find great and not so great about tGC. Hopefully there'll be lots more of the former, but please don't be afraid to talk about the latter if it affects you. What would you like to see more of? What would you like to see less of? How do you find the Moderation?

As Mods, we've been doing quite a bit of discussing behind the scenes recently, so we'll deffo be chiming in with our thoughts on things too, feel free to agree or disagree as you see fit.

Once a decent amount of time has passed, we'll close the thread and take the points raised back and see what we can do to make the place even better for everyone posting here.

If anyone doesn't feel comfortable posting something attached to their username, then please feel free to PM me your points and I'll post them on your behalf. I'll do this in strictest confidence, and won't tell a soul, not even the other forum Mods. That way we can get everyones voice heard.

So let the Feedback commence :)

Cheers

DrG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I'm conscious that I'm not a very active poster, despite being a mod. most of my posts are mod-stuff. however, I'm an active lurker. one issue I'd like to raise is the online dating thread. I'm not sure it's in the right forum. online dating isn't specifically a male issue, so I dont really know how or why that thread has ended up in tgc. I wonder is there a better home for it elsewhere?

thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Regarding the Online dating thread - I don't if there is a right forum for it though? Maybe relationship issues? But then you're not in a relationship if using online dating (well, most aren't). The majority of posters are male though.

I would have to say about that thread, I used to find it enjoyable and great for giving and receiving advice. Lately though, something has changed. Its not as friendly. Bit of a negative vibe going on in it so I'm posting less.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

I would like a seperate thread for advice about online dating.Lots of people are new to this

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

One issue I have with TGC (although to be honest, I think it's more an internet debating thing than a specific forum issue) is the way debates tend to pan out. You get a bit of a debate going for a few pages. Misconceptions are debunked with facts and evidence and all is well in the garden of Eden. Until, of course, a few pages in someone saunters in after not reading the thread and spouting the same misconceptions that had been previously debunked and we end up back at square one. A lot of the threads are very 'circular' in nature in this respect and I for one find it annoying. Is there a way of amending the Charter to inform people to read threads before posting? That said, I can't see it being particularly enforceable...
    Also, on a related note, can a note about 'soapboxing' be put in the Charter? I've seen quite a few threads in tGC get ruined by one persistent soapboxer. Similar Charter amendments have helped other forums deal with such problem users.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

My main bug bear with the online dating thread is also the negativity. It's peopI also agree with Galvanizedle giving out agble the same thing yet they didn't change any thing. Also it can get a bit sleazy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I think TGC is great. A great place for men to raise men-orientated issues and discuss things that are important or interesting to us.

However I have a coupe of things that bug me:

- Too many feminists invade and pounce on every discussion on men's rights and equality issues. I'd like to see men only being able to post in TGC

- Dating thread. This is a very useful thread but there is a core group of people that use it as a PM forum where they carry on a back and forth conversation about their dating life. BORING. And yet again why are there so many women in this thread ? it should be about men's online dating. Women have huge swathes of forums based on women's issues.

• Administrators Posts: 53,642 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I drop in and out of the forum, not here all the time. But no major issues I can see. Mods are very fast to put warnings on threads if they are going in a bad direction :)

Can't think of anywhere to put the online dating thread! I don't think relationship issues is right because I'm pretty sure that forum doesn't show up on the Boards search results. I've seen a couple of threads started about it in the Ladies Lounge that get closed and the poster gets directed to the thread here.

Not advisable to make the place men only, can't see any reason for it. If there was enough support for it though, maybe a separate private forum? The Ladies Lounge has a female only private forum, but not a lot of discussion threads in there, more meet up threads. Can't really see a point in banning all women from discussions. If a woman is causing trouble, report her. Shouldn't punish all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I agree it shouldn't be a men only thread, any more that TLL is women only. But the women who post here shouldn't do so to turn it around to all about them (I have seen this happen on a few occasions). If that is the case TLL is the place for it.

The dating thread, don't really know what to do with that. It has changed up over the time and become a little different, but I don't know.

Overall I am happy with TGC and don't see changes needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'm posting this on behalf of a poster who wishes to remain anon. This poster has allowed me to do this.
    I have concerns around the online dating stuff. It would be grand if it was all in 1 thread, and that thread was an actual discussion of online dating. But it's spilling in to other threads, and the dating thread itself is turning into a bit of a rant-about-the-other-sex affair. Usually while throwing in a few lazy gender stereotypes in there.

Not only that, but I think that there are users who are blatantly using the section as somewhere to try and pick up women. The girls that post in TGC are all lovely, they're funny and they're good posters and it would be a shame if they stopped posting in the section because of creepyness.

I know that yourself, Sam and Panthro are the only mods and this is a voluntary thing and there's only so much you can do though! It would be good to get that sort of thing stamped down on, and the posts acted on pretty quick.

I'm always wary of using the Report Post feature as I'm not sure if it causes you guys hassle or you just see it as me moaning if I do. What's the story with this, do ye want us to use it a lot?

• Advertisement

Again, this post is being posted on behalf of someone who wants to remain anon. I've left a little bit out to keep it that way, but being honest, it doesn't have bearing on their overall point.
    I know I don't post here that often - but just wanted to chime in with a bit of feedback...

I definitely agree with the overriding negativity of some threads, particularly the online dating one.

I'd like to post more, but when i see certain posters continually derailing threads, or people saying things that aren't necessarily against the charter but are just kind of douchey and they're not curtailed it's not really encouraging for newbies!

On the bright side - I think it's great that you're soliciting feedback like this, you and the other mods do a great job and it's really appreciated - I assume it's not an easy job at all....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm really just going to be echoing a lot of what has been said already. Ye mods do a great job for little thanks.

1) The online dating thread has taken a turn for the worse. I used to dip in and out to read about people's experiences with online dating, it was funny and helpful and it gave some good advice to people starting online dating. Now when I venture in, I sometimes feel like I could be in the middle of a flirty PM conversation.

2) I feel that very occasionally a thread will pop up that is more suited to PI than TGC. I know there is not a huge amount that can be done about it other than the modding that is being done at the moment.

But on a whole, I like TGC, I like the community feel, I like the differing options which results in some good debates.

I'm just going to chime in with a few of my own thoughts on the Online Dating thread, seeing as this is something that a few posters have brought up already.

The following is an excerpt from a PM that I sent to the other Mods on the subject. The rest of that PM doesn't have really any relevance to this thread, it was Moddy type stuff tbh, kinda boring, so I'm not hiding it to be secretive or anything.

This is the first PM I made on the matter
    Anyway, as I also said, I'm really not comfortable with how that whole topic is going. It seems to me that we have an influx of posters recently, who aren't interested in being part of the community but are actually only interested in seeing if they can score. I've no issue with people scoring each other and that, we all know that happens, and sure there have even been a few relationships spawned, but it just doesn't sit right with me tbh.

Personally, I'd like to have a forum feedback thread on the issue, and let everyone have their speak on the matter. I'm happy to repeat what I've said to you guys on that thread also, posting as a poster, not so much as a Mod. I'm also happy if people disagree with me too, after all, it's about everyone, not just me, us, a small number.

and this is a second, made a few days later
    Why has this one thread in tGC (a male oriented forum) become the go to place for all things online dating? As you both know, I've always been a really strong advocate for inclusiveness in tGC. When we initally kicked the place off, there were calls for it to to be less female friendly, which me and others strongly resisted. I still hold to that view, no doubt but that thread has equal balance in the sexes (maybe even more girls) posting in it. As such, I kinda feel it has fallen outside the remit of tGC.

Just as an FYI, this thread (this feedback one) was not set up solely to discuss the Online Dating thread. Initially yes, thats kinda what we thought about, but pretty soon after we thought why not open it up to feedback in general about the forum, so here we are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Well I think ye Mods are all mad sexy attractive people....:P

Down to the business end, I also think that the Online Dating thing (experience and advice) should be moved from TGC.

I am liking Galvasean's "soapboxing" rule idea, perhaps (just a suggestion) if a post is reported as "soapboxing" then the first step for us Mods would be to either all agree/disagree whether the post is or is not, and issue an on thread warning saying stop it now and/or take a break from the thread. Or has anyone any other suggestions on it?

I wouldn't be for making the forum male exclusive, there's a core of genuinely sound male and female posters in this forum so long may that continue in my opinion.

I forgot to say that the mods are great and I've met some lovely people here :D:D Real sense of community at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

awec wrote: »
    They're mostly alright. The one they call Panthro is a bit of a gobsh!te.

I jest, I jest. :P

Good idea on getting the feedback modsies!

I read that as "Nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy!!":D:D
    Ya big sexy bastard!

Galvasean wrote: »
    One issue I have with TGC (although to be honest, I think it's more an internet debating thing than a specific forum issue) is the way debates tend to pan out. You get a bit of a debate going for a few pages. Misconceptions are debunked with facts and evidence and all is well in the garden of Eden. Until, of course, a few pages in someone saunters in after not reading the thread and spouting the same misconceptions that had been previously debunked and we end up back at square one. A lot of the threads are very 'circular' in nature in this respect and I for one find it annoying. Is there a way of amending the Charter to inform people to read threads before posting? That said, I can't see it being particularly enforceable...
    Also, on a related note, can a note about 'soapboxing' be put in the Charter? I've seen quite a few threads in tGC get ruined by one persistent soapboxer. Similar Charter amendments have helped other forums deal with such problem users.

On your first point about circular arguments, you are right in that they happen from time to time, but sadly you are also right in that they are hard to stamp out. We'd get a lot of that in Politics tbh, and it is hard to deal with either by way of charter amendments or moderating those specific posts. We can probably keep a stronger eye out for them though.

As for soapboxing, I'd totally agree that we can amend the charter for this and enforce more rigourously than we currently do. We've had similar issues in the distant past and managed to stamp that out. I'd suggest that if people see this happening, hit the report button and we can take a looksee.
    Piliger wrote: »
    I think TGC is great. A great place for men to raise men-orientated issues and discuss things that are important or interesting to us.

However I have a coupe of things that bug me:

- Too many feminists invade and pounce on every discussion on men's rights and equality issues. I'd like to see men only being able to post in TGC

- Dating thread. This is a very useful thread but there is a core group of people that use it as a PM forum where they carry on a back and forth conversation about their dating life. BORING. And yet again why are there so many women in this thread ? it should be about men's online dating. Women have huge swathes of forums based on women's issues.

Firstly, I can say this categorically, and speak for the other Mods here. tGC will not becoming a "Male Only" forum. Not now, not ever.

As for feminists invading the place. I don't see this happening tbh. Sure, things can get a bit heated alright. To an extent, I'd agree that tGC needs to be a place that see's things from a Male Viewpoint, (much like tLL protects and espouses the female view) but there is a line in the sand there. If someone is being a knob (for want of a better way of putting it :)) and generally being sexist, then, male or female, they'll be getting infracted and/or banned. Again, I'd suggest that people report the posts and we can take a look.
    I drop in and out of the forum, not here all the time. But no major issues I can see. Mods are very fast to put warnings on threads if they are going in a bad direction :)

Can't think of anywhere to put the online dating thread! I don't think relationship issues is right because I'm pretty sure that forum doesn't show up on the Boards search results. I've seen a couple of threads started about it in the Ladies Lounge that get closed and the poster gets directed to the thread here.

Not advisable to make the place men only, can't see any reason for it. If there was enough support for it though, maybe a separate private forum? The Ladies Lounge has a female only private forum, but not a lot of discussion threads in there, more meet up threads. Can't really see a point in banning all women from discussions. If a woman is causing trouble, report her. Shouldn't punish all.

I see where you are going with the Private sub-forum thing. It's not a bad idea, but I dunno if it's warranted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't tLL private forum come from a desire for the ladies to have a "safe" place to discuss and organise meetups, as the public ones were getting a bit swamped with random lads turning up?
    Daisies wrote: »
    I'm really just going to be echoing a lot of what has been said already. Ye mods do a great job for little thanks.

1) The online dating thread has taken a turn for the worse. I used to dip in and out to read about people's experiences with online dating, it was funny and helpful and it gave some good advice to people starting online dating. Now when I venture in, I sometimes feel like I could be in the middle of a flirty PM conversation.

2) I feel that very occasionally a thread will pop up that is more suited to PI than TGC. I know there is not a huge amount that can be done about it other than the modding that is being done at the moment.

But on a whole, I like TGC, I like the community feel, I like the differing options which results in some good debates.

I'm seeing a common theme is relation to the OD thread tbh.

I agree on the flirty posts. Such posts have already been banned from places like AH, so I think it's fair to say that we should look at similar here.

As for possible PI sorta threads. I take those on a case by case basis as far as Modding them goes. If it is clear that a poster is looking for a male-ish take on things, then I will often leave them here. If I think that isn't the case, or if I think the poster will benefit more from a PI/RI input, then I'll move them.
    Panthro wrote: »
    I read that as "Nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy nordy!!":D:D
    Ya big sexy bastard!

Listen. I have some Nordy backup now, so anymore Nordy jokes/slags and well.......watch your knees kiddo..... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Dr Galen wrote: »

I see where you are going with the Private sub-forum thing. It's not a bad idea, but I dunno if it's warranted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but didn't tLL private forum come from a desire for the ladies to have a "safe" place to discuss and organise meetups, as the public ones were getting a bit swamped with random lads turning up?

Yeah that's pretty much all that goes on in there! I was just responding to the one poster who said he wanted to discuss things in a male only environment. It could be a possibility if there was enough demand for it. But the women only one isn't for women to discuss things without male interruption. I know I don't see any problems with women getting involved in the discussions here, I could be gender bias though :P

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, this thread should give you a run down on how we even ended up with the forum in first place.

In a nutshell, it was felt that a middle ground between BGRH and the Men's Health forum was required. Over a lot of discussion, tGC was put forward and approved.

Aside from the OD thread issues, if I'm totally honest, I think we've lost some of what tGC was conceived as. I'd love to see us go back to those roots. FWIW, those roots have always included a cadre of female posters, some of the best posters we've ever had have been female IMHO, so none of you fine (oh so fine ;)) and intelligent ladies should ever feel that you aren't part of our little corner of Boards.

Can you define that sense Dr G?

I dunno Pem. It's hard for me to put into words really.

More noise, less signal perhaps?

For me anyway, tGC is supposed to about more than beers and online dating. Don't anyway take that the wrong way, as especially in the case of the beers thing I love how a whole social scene has grown from the forum. I just want the place to be about more than 3 threads.......or something

Dr Galen wrote: »
    I dunno Pem. It's hard for me to put into words really.

More noise, less signal perhaps?

For me anyway, tGC is supposed to about more than beers and online dating. Don't anyway take that the wrong way, as especially in the case of the beers thing I love how a whole social scene has grown from the forum. I just want the place to be about more than 3 threads.......or something

Makes perfect sense. The beers are good but a forum is more than that. I mostly post in one of those threads and lurk in the rest as I won't give advice on men's health but the clothing and other stuff is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Some interesting responses. I think the main issue from what I can see is tGC has become more of a metrosexual than men's forum.

It originally grew out of being a men's health forum and when it expanded it became clear that 'lighter' topics, such as lifestyle, skin care and dating were welcome, while more serious issues such as men's rights were not.

Repeatedly any such threads are closed or shunted off to to Humanities whenever they make the moderators feel too 'uncomfortable' and so debate in these areas is clearly something that is at best tolerated on a very short leash, while women's rights are debated frequently and heatedly in tLL - which incidentally we're not even allowed to compare tGC.

Personally, I can't really comment on the online dating thread; it's of little interest to me and represents more of the 'fluff' that this forum has encouraged. As to being made into a men only forum, this is ridiculous and unenforceable.

However Feminists do hijack and even start threads, despite Dr Galen's denials. Only recently one thread on how men view Feminism was started by some as a means to collect views which they then used to write a blogpost on a Feminist site. Despite the fact that they sought views dishonestly (they only revealed what they were up several pages into the thread to after their blogpost was written), the moderators instead chose to close the thread at their request when the response from those duped by them to their skewed blogpost was not to their liking.

It's almost as if the moderators are afraid of offending Feminists or certain other fora (that may not be named) and thus will happily sacrifice the interests of those who in theory this forum represents.

So this is either a men's forum or it's not. If it is, then this tendency to avoid confrontation or 'uncomfortable' topics needs to be dropped. If not, and if the moderators prefer to stick to men's health, dating and skin care, then it is probably time that it is renamed the Metrosexual board, which is what it essentially is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

awec wrote: »
    What's "metrosexual" about mens health, mens skincare or mens lifestyle? What's supposedly unmanly about any of those topics? And how do any of those topics not sit under a Gentleman's Club title? :confused:
    I never suggested that it was 'unmanly' however this forum really only caters to lifestyle topics which hardly constitutes a men's forum, especially given the increasing importance of men's rights as an issue. If it is a lifestyle forum, then the charter should be honest about that and allow a forum dealing with less 'light' subjects to be set up.
    There's a mens rights thread too. You should know, you post in it.
    I never said that there were no men's rights threads; I said they are "at best tolerated on a very short leash".
    What topic would you like to discuss that has been shunted to humanities?
    This thread was closed because it was clear that a number of the mods were on comfortable with it - they could cite OT posts, but that's why the delete post function is available to mods, rather than closing the entire thread.

Only after receiving numerous PM's questioning their decision, from different posters, did they reopen it and shunt it over to humanities. It was one of the more shameful examples of moderation on tGC I'd seen in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There has been one thread that was moved to humanities that I can recall in at least 6 months so TC,with all due respect,you are talking nonsense.

Any threads on mens rights,feminism etc ultimately degenerate into the same handful of posters trying to ram their ideas down peoples throats while simultaneously nit picking anyone that dares to contribute which is incredibly tiresome so I'd be quite happy to never see these threads in here.

On the online dating thread,it first started for men to give their experiences on OD because there was a similar thread in tLL but of late it has turned into something altogether different so I think it's run it's course and should be closed for good.

I'd also be of the opinion that the easy on the eye thread should be done away with too.I know that im in the minority but it's a pointless thanks whoring exercise and nothing else.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement