Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed to see my niece/nephews being brainwashed in Catholic education

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

so you want to force your opinion on christians ? the very thing you complain there doing to you ? theres a word for that,begins with a h

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

pontia wrote: »
    the amount of bull**** here is hard to fathom,i have nieces and nephews,not my business how their raised,you seem to search for offense,do you dream about ways to be offended ?

The amount of bull**** in the bible is hard to fathom too. Do you think it's healthy and right that the Catholic Church should have as much influence in education as it does? Religion is a personal matter and should not be drilled into childrens head.

My niece is 4 and is already talking about thanking Holy God for everything because she was thought that in school. It's not real! She understands Special Agent Oso and Handy Manny are not real, hope she figures out the same about Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

so you want to force your opinion on christians ? the very thing you complain there doing to you ? theres a word for that,begins with a h

Funnily enough, I think you're the one who's looking to be offended.

The OP is bothered that his nieces and nephews (and children across the country) are being taught that the events in the Bible are a fact, when they are not.

All religions are a belief system, and it's just plain wrong to teach children that they are a fact, when they're not. It's lying to children for the sake of further a religious belief. The OP is simply bothered that this still happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

but isnt that the anomaly,the vast majority of parents are not religous,having their children taught fable ,often by non believing teachers clearly shows a mismatch between the system and reality.

The Catholic church,an institution which has been responsible for such massive abuse of children,it's like having the fox in charge of the hens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you continue to misrepresent people then you're not going to make many BFFs in this forum.

We don't want ANYONE to force their opinion on children, that's. the. point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Children aren't christians, children are just children and christians brianwash them into believing in superstition. An atheist or anyone else who thinks religon has no place in school is very obviously thinking it would be better for the child to decide on religon when they become an adult. Catholics obviously believe they must get children started on the brainwasing from birth with baptism and maintain a fear factor in childrens minds with visions of hell and a dead body on a cross etc. Its just disgusting that children are subjected to such images and beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I have a really smart little niece who is now 6. When she was about 4 my sister was driving me one morning to an airport really early in the morning. It was still dark. My niece was chattering in the back seat and got around to asking me why it's dark at night. I started to explain to her about the world turning around etc when she stopped me and said 'It's ok actually Auntie Thumpette, I remember now what teacher told us. It's dark at night cos god turns off the lights to go to sleep'

Made me sooooo mad to see this really bright curious little sponge of a child just blatantly lied to either through sheer laziness of a teacher or because of some sort of mental beliefs. Kids at that age trust their teachers so much, it's disgusting this type of nonsense is allowed to happen.

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Thumpette wrote: »
    I have a really smart little niece who is now 6. When she was about 4 my sister was driving me one morning to an airport really early in the morning. It was still dark. My niece was chattering in the back seat and got around to asking me why it's dark at night. I started to explain to her about the world turning around etc when she stopped me and said 'It's ok actually Auntie Thumpette, I remember now what teacher told us. It's dark at night cos god turns off the lights to go to sleep'

Made me sooooo mad to see this really bright curious little sponge of a child just blatantly lied to either through sheer laziness of a teacher or because of some sort of mental beliefs. Kids at that age trust their teachers so much, it's disgusting this type of nonsense is allowed to happen.

Rant over!

I'd agree that that one's probably more down to the laziness of the teacher... But that's an issue for another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'd agree that that one's probably more down to the laziness of the teacher... But that's an issue for another day!

That's not really relevant. What the teacher taught because she was lazy (how feckin hard is it to explain the earth going around the sun :rolleyes:) was no less a pile of bull**** than Catholic doctrine.

Why they do it is relevant to another discussion, but not really this one.
    The point is, you want teachers to educate. A lot of what they're doing is no more education than teaching them that 1+1=6.
    It makes a mockery of the idea of education - it's a complete bastardisation of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

so you want to force your opinion on christians ?
    It's this type of straw man nonsense that makes baby Jesus cry. And marks you out as a time sink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gbear wrote: »
    That's not really relevant. What the teacher taught because she was lazy (how feckin hard is it to explain the earth going around the sun :rolleyes:) was no less a pile of bull**** than Catholic doctrine.

Why they do it is relevant to another discussion, but not really this one.
    The point is, you want teachers to educate. A lot of what they're doing is no more education than teaching them that 1+1=6.
    It makes a mockery of the idea of education - it's a complete bastardisation of it.

Sorry, I was more thinking how lazy/useless teachers can't really be adjusted/fired was an issue for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gbear wrote: »
    (how feckin hard is it to explain the earth going around the sun :rolleyes:) .

OT :

Accurately? Really fecking hard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If you continue to misrepresent people then you're not going to make many BFFs in this forum.

We don't want ANYONE to force their opinion on children, that's. the. point.

Just being a devil’s advocate here but if one did that in its truest form then you can’t teach your children anything. Everything they will have to learn for themselves.

You cant teach them piano in case you think that they are being forced into the opinion that the piano is a better instrument then say a bass guitar. So if you think that you are letting kids find it out themsleves you are actually creating a path for them regardless, it just depends how high the walls are.

Not realy, you don't teach them piano and tell them it's the one true instrument and that they will go to hell and suffer for eternity if they start playing bass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

jank wrote: »
    Just being a devil’s advocate here but if one did that in its truest form then you can’t teach your children anything. Everything they will have to learn for themselves.

You cant teach them piano in case you think that they are being forced into the opinion that the piano is a better instrument then say a bass guitar. So if you think that you are letting kids find it out themsleves you are actually creating a path for them regardless, it just depends how high the walls are.
    The%20point-you.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I know 2 atheists who sent their kids on for Communion and Confirmation even though they are completly anti church and have no belief in god.

Their reasoning was that they didn't want the kid left out.

That's hyprocrisy if I ever saw it, if someone is an atheist at least let them be true to what they in this case don't believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

jank wrote: »

Just let them listen to music and, if they're interested in learning any instrument, teach it to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Extinction wrote: »
    Not realy, you don't teach them piano and tell them it's the one true instrument and that they will go to hell and suffer for eternity if they start playing bass.

Well how many people do you know personally are like that? Has there been an example like this in this thread? Can you point me to one?

What is it with making the most extreme case possible the standard in which to judge religion. Everyone knows its dishonest in everyway yet everyone lets it slide because they agree with it, emotionaly.

Personally I know quite a few who are like that, siblings especially. This thread is in the atheism & agnosticism forum so I wouldn't expect an example here but have a look in the christianity forum and you'll find plenty of posts that dispute your assumption that it's an extreme case or dishonest in everyway.

Doesn't the bible say something along the line of the only way to god is through jesus etc etc and isn't worshiping other religons/gods breaking one of the commandments? How is it an extreme example when it's a fundamental part of christianity that you will be punished for these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 therattler

I feel your pain but at least their not your own kids. I'll be hoping to send my kids to an educate together but my partner wont so its a big argument I'm not looking forward to having!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    [...] amazing Solar Walk app on the iPad [...]
    Not bad on the iPhone either.

Advertisement