Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed to see my niece/nephews being brainwashed in Catholic education

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

14, actually, and no more than about 100-150ml.

That's what? 3/4 wine gums?
    2 liquor chocolates?

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    2 liquor chocolates?

god those are disgusting

bluewolf wrote: »
    god those are disgusting

Completely mank in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

You'd be pretty wrong.

SO we are talking about the crazy bedtime stories that are the old testament then eh ?
    It truly deserves its title greatest book ever written, but IMO the surviving Vedic evidence is far more convincing than the old testament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bluewolf wrote: »
    god those are disgusting

No, the cheap ones are vile. If you get a good quality fresh one its a different ball game. Fatty isn't allowed them anymore though, because fatty is a fatty and can't understand what "moderation" means when fatty is on a choccy binge.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    No, the cheap ones are vile. If you get a good quality fresh one its a different ball game. Fatty isn't allowed them anymore though, because fatty is a fatty and can't understand what "moderation" means when fatty is on a choccy binge.

diabetic not allowed choccy :( diabetic had choccy dessert last night. let's just be glad no one thought to film the results of diabetic sugar high followed swiftly by diabetic crash and burn.

diabetic still think choccy liquors are mank.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No one here, bar yourself, is advocating an outright ban on religions in all schools, just those funded by the taxpayer.
    How would this work, as the tax payer pays the teachers in fee paying private schools already??The other problem is the actual ownership of school buildings, very few are owned by the DES.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

SO we are talking about the crazy bedtime stories that are the old testament then eh ?
    It truly deserves its title greatest book ever written, but IMO the surviving Vedic evidence is far more convincing than the old testament.

The god of the new testament enjoy the odd killing too, Acts 12:23 and Acts 5:1-10 for example. Still, he's quite the pussy compared to old testament god, old testament god knew how to get what he wants.

How would this work, as the tax payer pays the teachers in fee paying private schools already??The other problem is the actual ownership of school buildings, very few are owned by the DES.

Ruairi is working on it.

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    The god of the new testament enjoy the odd killing too, Acts 12:23 and Acts 5:1-10 for example. Still, he's quite the pussy compared to old testament god, old testament god knew how to get what he wants.

Clearly God struck them down........
    Couldn't be explained any other way.

Struck down with guilt and struck down with grief is how it is written.
    If that is the vengeance of a wrathful God then fair enough.

Death Toll =2

Gods don't kill people, People kill people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

14, actually, and no more than about 100-150ml.

It's still very young to be drinking beer.

It's still very young to be drinking beer.

Tis, but no point tut tutting at him now. I imagine he's already swallowed it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tis, but no point tut tutting at him now. I imagine he's already swallowed it by now.

I wasn't, and I drank myself at 17 in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Funny, that's not how Jesus described the old testament:
    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
    20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

He seemed to take the old testament pretty seriously.

Funny, that's not how Jesus described the old testament:

He seemed to take the old testament pretty seriously.

Probably due to the fact that he was Jewish in a land of Jewish people.

All he has attested to in those quoted above is the Ten Commandments. None of which refer to God killing people, but rather to denial of entry to heaven.
    The OT in fairness is more of a historical document without an accurate timetable. To state that God has struck down all these people over history is bordering on Fantasy. particularly when since the birth and death of Jesus Christ his attributed count has been......2 !
    I guess its all about how you read it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

All he has attested to in those quoted above is the Ten Commandments. None of which refer to God killing people, but rather to denial of entry to heaven.

Since he was as you say above a Jew in a land of Jews, it is far more likely that when Jesus mentions keeping the commandments, he is referring to all 613 of them.
    However, even if he wasn't, the question becomes, which 10 commandments is he referring to. Is he referring to the 10 commandments followed by the Catholic Church as found in Exodus 20 or the 10 commandments followed by mainline Protestants in Deuteronomy 5. Or maybe he is referring to the 10 commandments that are actually referred to as the 10 commandments by the bible in Exodus 34 which includes commandments such as observing the feast of the unleavened bread and not boiling a goat in its own mothers milk. Maybe its those commandments.

The OT in fairness is more of a historical document without an accurate timetable. To state that God has struck down all these people over history is bordering on Fantasy. particularly when since the birth and death of Jesus Christ his attributed count has been......2 !

The Old Testamen is as much a historical record as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The problem with viewing the OT as a historical document is that its general reliability is undermined by accounts which are either unsupported by historical evidence such as the Exodus or events which are demonstrably false such as God stopping the Earth for a day in Joshua.
    Of course its a matter of interpretation but if you believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God then you have to accept the depiction of God as a genocidal prick, however unpalatable that may be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I drank myself at 17 in a pub.

ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Ah, good to know the reason Jesus was wrong about the old testament is because he was Jewish. Em, how exactly do you know better about the old testament than Jesus Christ?

That wouldn't be the 10 commandments that he gave to Moses would it? The Moses who God got out of Egypt by killing all the first born sons of Egypt at the time? How many do you think died then?

Funny then that Jesus seemed to reference it as truth so much, such as destruction of Sodom and the death of Lot’s wife (Luke 17:29, 32) and Noah's flood and all the people who died because of it (Luke 17:27 and Matthew 24:37-41). How many people do you think died when Sodom was destroyed or when Noah's flood happened? Less than 2?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Dades wrote: »
    Look, it's a head-wreck and very frustrating. I feel it intensely as I have two young kids and see how trusting they are, and how capable they are of learning what they're taught.

Today, with the help of the amazing Solar Walk app on the iPad, my soon-to-be-four year old and I learned about the planets that circle around the sun, which of them are hot, which are cold, and why. She now knows more than her mother about the solar system.

And when she goes to school in a year, she's going to be taught that a man in the sky made everything, watches us, and likes us to worship him and pray and sing songs about him.

You can't 'help' other people's kids, only your own. And know that slowly, but surely, the RC is dying out - in this country at least.

exactly, all you can do is help your own and expose them to science,
    kids that are exposed to science as well as religion will choose science - it makes sense,

problem is people who are strongly religious weren't exposed to science as a kid - only to religion , so it's difficult for them to trust science..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

At last - a believer. I shall name you Basalt and upon your rock I shall build my church.

Now - go forth and preach the word of Bannasidhe (better get someone to write some gospels first - I'm far too busy watching women beat the living daylights out of other women on the telly right now.)

Basic message:
    1. Do not be dicks to each other.
    2. Well done steak is an abomination.
    3. Ummmm...oh make some ****e up....just ensure that the ****e contradicts itself so my follower may use the 'context' argument. That makes me laugh and is pleasing onto mine eyes.

+1

He is the messiah. Lets all follow him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Messiah demands more single malt!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Pretty sure that God hasn't killed anyone.
    Millions have been murdered in his names which is kind of ironic/moronic

This pretty much sums up my take on it.

Nothing wrong with a Catholic education as long as you don't get a bad priest in your life.

A bad Pint of Guinness has a similar effect.

Sarky wrote: »
    The Messiah demands more single malt!

don't forget to offer some of that single malt up as an offering ;).

I'm currently sacrificing a delectable 59% Islay single malt, actually. Best prophet ever tbh.

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm currently sacrificing a delectable 59% Islay single malt, actually. Best prophet ever tbh.

Ohhh - nice. Yum.

Thou shall be favoured above all. What ever utter nonsense thou spout shall be holy writ and forever binding onto the faithful. ;)

And Lo, Sarky did look upon the world, and he saw the peoples' dismay, and he did say "Man, f*ck slashfic."

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

the amount of bull**** here is hard to fathom,i have nieces and nephews,not my business how their raised,you seem to search for offense,do you dream about ways to be offended ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

pontia wrote: »
    the amount of bull**** here is hard to fathom,i have nieces and nephews,not my business how their raised,you seem to search for offense,do you dream about ways to be offended ?
    Who are you talking to?

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

op ect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

the point of the original post was not my little relatives rather children in general, the society I hope for does not involve childrens minds being corrupted by fable taught as fact.

Advertisement