Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the weirdest firearm you'd like to acquire?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Wouldnt extract old cartridge and cycle in new cartridge :o. Im seriously considering buying it and getting the rfd to fix it
    I bought a cheap fabarm pump action as a something for a while before i buy something nicer:D

You would be better off importing a nice old one that works. They are sold for peanuts in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

juice1304 wrote: »
    You would be better off importing a nice old one that works. They are sold for peanuts in Germany.

This was going for 400ish it had a cutts? or similar compensator on it, the woodwork was perfect no cracking not even around the magazine tube where the wood is thin and the bluing was in good shape, I doubt id import a nice looking A5 for that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

The locking block rails in the bolt on the early A5's have a tendency to crack, they beefed up the design on the later guns, but you do not know what you have until you dismantle the thing, which most dealers are unlikely to let you do. There is a brilliant channel on youtube "Arts gun shop", the old boy is ex-browning factory. Well worth looking at if you like brownings as i do.

The thing with old guns is it is easy to buy one, but then if it needs expensive work thats uneconomical to do, you are lumbered with something thats only fit for spares.

Id love a WW1 Trench shotgun either a Browning A5(was in a dealer this week was just about to buy a very early A5 when the dealer realized it was malfunctioning:() Or a M1897
    3424.jpg

I'd love a trench gun too, but the barrel is too short for it to be held on a un-restricted licence. Norinco were doing a copy, two problems, one they plastered "norinco" and "Made in China" all over the them, they chambered the barrels to fire 2 3/4" shells, but the action cannot really handle them, which means you need 2 1/2" shells, which are not cheap and as easy to get as 2 3/4" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

I really like the duck foot pistols, don't know why Rember seeing one in a book as a child and being fascinated by it. Be great craic to fire four shoots at once and hit SFÁ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,948 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wouldnt extract old cartridge and cycle in new cartridge :o. Im seriously considering buying it and getting the rfd to fix it
    I bought a cheap fabarm pump action as a something for a while before i buy something nicer:D

This could be as simple as literally oiling the recoil spring around the mag tube and making sure the recoil friction ring is in the correct position for the load you are using. Take off the wooden forearm, there is, or should be a soup dish-shaped ring in the spring assembly. If you are using light loads, this should be at the BASE of the mag tube with the dish "bottom" supporting the spring base. For heavy loads, this ring should be at the TOP of the tube with the dish bottom facing down the recoil spring. Those two things usually sort out 96% of an auto 5's or any long recoil shotguns based on that design FTF and FTE.
    Those guns are the AKs of shotguns. They will if kept reasonably clean and olied work after some abuse that would make other guns choke.Dont know how many times my grandfathers A5 ended up going for a bath in the Main river out duck hunting.Its now my "go to" inherited shotgun in Germany. So for it to give any other sort of problem,it really must have been abused.

Also check the friction collar is moving freely on the mag tube.Anything after that is utter neglect and abuse or something more serious.
    Also if you get the serial number ,Brownings website will give you date of manufacture.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

gunny123 wrote: »
    I'd love a trench gun too, but the barrel is too short for it to be held on a un-restricted licence. Norinco were doing a copy, two problems, one they plastered "norinco" and "Made in China" all over the them, they chambered the barrels to fire 2 3/4" shells, but the action cannot really handle them, which means you need 2 1/2" shells, which are not cheap and as easy to get as 2 3/4" ones.

Nor do they "Slam fire" like the original Winchester.No disconnector in the original 1897.Not that you'd want to, a good original matching number 1897 Trench Broom is going to set you back in the tens of Ks these days.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nor do they "Slam fire" like the original Winchester.No disconnector in the original 1897.Not that you'd want to, a good original matching number 1897 Trench Broom is going to set you back in the tens of Ks these days.:(

Remington 1910's and ithica's were common place also. Repro bayonet kits and heat shields are available..just saying

No real chance of getting a licence for one here now, but i always liked the webley fosbury "automatic" revolver. The money they go for is eye watering too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I've had a couple of second thoughts -

1. The Gyro-jet rocket pistol, and

2. The Dardick handgun/carbine device.

The first shoots a .45cal rocket projectile with legenday lack of accuracy, and second shoots a bullet out of a triangular cartidge case - called a 'tround'.

Both were as successful as the ACME inflatable anvil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Yup, 'strue. A guy on a 'Gun collectors of Washington' stand in the Tacoma gun show a couple of years ago was selling one complete with ALL the bits that are often missing. It was in fine shooting condition, as he displayed on a recent movie he had had taken. He was asking $8.5K for it, no offers, with full second-owner documentation from around 1925 to date. He allowed me to give it a close looking over and it was, in truth a very fine example.

Next time we walked by, it had gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

juice1304 wrote: »

There is one in Sports World, Townhall Street, Cavan.
    Owner died and local Garda lifted it when licence expired. Wouldnt be too dear, next thing you know, it'll get the angle grinder.

I'd love a trench gun too, but the barrel is too short for it to be held on an unrestricted licence.

Here ya go, a RIC Black&Tan version in the UK. Cheeky price mind as it has been defiled with that add-on barrel bit thingy.
    But it is a possibility as you might get it back here on a "restoring Irish heritage and of important historical value" type spiel?

https://www.cgfirearms.co.uk/product-page/winchester-trench-shotgun-1897

And if you can figure out how to get it out of the USA.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790575687

Or in near pristine condition
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/785482851

Too rich for my blood at that money. The norinco copies do slam fire, but they seem to be out of production sadly. One of the italian makers, cimmaron i think was doing them too, so i will look into them.
    As for odd guns you would like to own, i always fancied a welrod silent pistol from ww2.

Too rich for my blood at that money. The norinco copies do slam fire, but they seem to be out of production sadly. One of the italian makers, cimmaron i think was doing them too, so i will look into them.
    As for odd guns you would like to own, i always fancied a welrod silent pistol from ww2.

The norinco 1897 are €495 on egun, tried posting a link but just the egun homepage came up.

Amazed they are allowed to sell it with that feature in Europe. Considering everything must be "safe" these days. They are more a copy of the riot gun rather than the trench gun, no heat shield provided, shorter barrel[?] bayonet or bayonet lug either.:(

Brugger&Thomet make a good updated version these days.
    .Wonder would it fit in our legislation as a slaughter'rs tool?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7tP9s4mm5I

Amazed they are allowed to sell it with that feature in Europe. Considering everything must be "safe" these days. They are more a copy of the riot gun rather than the trench gun, no heat shield provided, shorter barrel[?] bayonet or bayonet lug either.:(

Brugger&Thomet make a good updated version these days.
    .Wonder would it fit in our legislation as a slaughter'rs tool?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7tP9s4mm5I

Someone makes the fake bits to turn them into trench guns i think.

The Brugger and Thomet must be the people who had drawings of the original Welrod pistol, they were going to produce them, but they would have been expensive and it might not have been worth their while.

Both my choices are shotguns.
    First of all, for sheer rarity and oddity, a Ljutic Spacegun,

https://youtu.be/HQpMpWYefyw

And then, it'd be nice to have a functioning Spencer pump action.

https://youtu.be/bByfj6nAEFg

I have a Spencer, but its been deactivated/butchered.

• Advertisement

I would also like a darne sliding breech shotgun, there are some about, but they are overpriced.

Someone makes the fake bits to turn them into trench guns i think.

The Brugger and Thomet must be the people who had drawings of the original Welrod pistol, they were going to produce them, but they would have been expensive and it might not have been worth their while.

If that was the case I'd doubt he would be daft enough to advertise it on Egun!They are abit picky,ever since someone was selling glock giggle[select fire] switches on there a few years ago.

Brugger and Thomet have it listed on their website.POA.
    Now ,this is intresting...It could be possibly legal here as it is described as a "Vetinary pistol".Its a manual bolt action 9mm and could be orderd with various barrel lengths of an integrated silencer.

I would also like a darne sliding breech shotgun, there are some about, but they are overpriced.

I have shot one. It is "French" alright.Nice lightweight gun,but gets sore after a day hard shooting, due to the lightness.
    Prefer the Baby Breton in 20 GA. Another French action.A pull apart OU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A malfunctioning Auto 5???Must have been something serious to get one of those tanks to malfunction.:p

A drop of oil and a clean every couple of years keeps those things firing..... .The only thing the one I owned has ever needed was installing the friction rings correctly and cleaning up the recoil spring ( the one that's sitting in the tail going into the stock).

Unless the wee extractor claw is banjoed I reckon a oily clean of the magazine tube and correct installation of the friction rings will do the job if the bolt is not being pushed far enough by the recoiling barrel.

Is there any issues with not ejecting and then trying to feed another round ?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Unless the wee extractor claw is banjoed I reckon a oily clean of the magazine tube and correct installation of the friction rings will do the job if the bolt is not being pushed far enough by the recoiling barrel.

Is there any issues with not ejecting and then trying to feed another round ?

I believe it was failing to attempt to feed another cartridge after firing the first cartridge which just remained in the barrel:confused:

Just in case anyone has a spare few euro burning a hole in their pocket....

https://www.victormeeauctions.ie/product/lot-630-4/

I believe it was failing to attempt to feed another cartridge after firing the first cartridge which just remained in the barrel:confused:

Sounds like the friction rings are set up for the heaviest loads the gun is supposed to handle. The recoil generated by an ordinary 32g cartridge is not enough to make the barrel and bolt recoil anywhere near far enough to cycle the gun.

Advertisement