Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Has anyone got Lollipop OTA yet?

I haven't turned on my N7 for a few days, just curious is it rolling out now that Google have released it for the N7.

Have it running on my Nexus 7 right now, seems grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Anyone else finding the tablet painfully slow since downloading the new update?

I've ceared the cache, turned it off and on again, and am now ready to smash it against the wall :(

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

juke wrote: »

I've ceared the cache, turned it off and on again, and am now ready to smash it against the wall :(

Yeah, it's not really up to lollipop, it was struggling with kit kat at times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I manually updated mine as it had happened to go into a boot loop anyway with the previous firmware and I needed to flash it anyway. This is on a 2012 model.

Does seem to be a bit prone to running slow and crashing out of Facebook at the moment, but I've not bothered with clearing the cache or any other fixes, sure I just completely reflashed the thing, why would the next step to make it run properly be to try and clear what must be an empty cache?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Came in to post this. My first gen Nexus 7 is pretty much unusable since the update. Can take over a minute to load certain apps. Crashes at the drop of a hat and the lag is criminal, beyond workable. Time to move on I think. I even did a factory reset on the device but its actually worse since I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,922 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I just come here to ask the same question. The missus has a nexus 7 and it was updated in the last few days and she's telling me that everything is either working very slow or the likes of the Sky app isnt working at all.

She said she was going to roll it back to the original factory settings but I dont know if that can be done and even if it could it may not be such a good idea.

Sorry folks but neither of us are too well up on these matters so would appreciate any advice or help.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

keano_afc wrote: »
    Came in to post this. My first gen Nexus 7 is pretty much unusable since the update. Can take over a minute to load certain apps. Crashes at the drop of a hat and the lag is criminal, beyond workable. Time to move on I think. I even did a factory reset on the device but its actually worse since I did.

Same, went to Spirit Rom to try something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

I got the update automatically last week and went ahead with it , when it was done the tablet ( 2012 ) was slow to the point of being unusable . I did a factory reset and only reinstalled the apps I actually use and to be honest it is working fine now and the battery seems to last a bit longer as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

jonski wrote: »
    I got the update automatically last week and went ahead with it , when it was done the tablet ( 2012 ) was slow to the point of being unusable . I did a factory reset and only reinstalled the apps I actually use and to be honest it is working fine now and the battery seems to last a bit longer as well .

Mine was like this for a couple of days after I did the reset and then reverted back to being unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I installed the latest CM11 on my N7 2012 (grouper) because it was going slow.
    Now it seems to be getting even worse.

I noticed last night it was updating some apps via the app store and i was trying to open an app, and it slowed to a crawl. It seemed like it hung and was unresponsive for about 30 seconds until the update was complete.

I have heard that Asus used cheap storage memory in this tablet, so i suspect its related to that cheap storage having a high latency and holding up the rest of the OS.

Presumably this is common and theres nothing I can do about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I installed the latest CM11 on my N7 2012 (grouper) because it was going slow.
    Now it seems to be getting even worse.

I noticed last night it was updating some apps via the app store and i was trying to open an app, and it slowed to a crawl. It seemed like it hung and was unresponsive for about 30 seconds until the update was complete.

I have heard that Asus used cheap storage memory in this tablet, so i suspect its related to that cheap storage having a high latency and holding up the rest of the OS.

Presumably this is common and theres nothing I can do about it?

Mine's been like this for the last year or more, I only use it as an ereader now and even then it can get laggy just changing page. Trying to use internet or watch a video is a painfully slow stuttering experience. I've tried everything from factory resets to special apps which resequence data for more efficient reads. Nothing works so have given up trying to speed it up. It's funny though some people report that there is no problem with theirs so seems to be luck of draw what you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is the whole TRIM issue with this tab still a problem?
    I remember using an app designed to fill and empty data in all sectors of the memory to speed up my one before.

I haven't made the jump to 5.0 yet and from all reports, I'm not sure if I'll bother :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Is the whole TRIM issue with this tab still a problem?
    I remember using an app designed to fill and empty data in all sectors of the memory to speed up my one before.

I haven't made the jump to 5.0 yet and from all reports, I'm not sure if I'll bother :(

Apparently trim is not a problem since 4.3 but it really really seems like the issue is with untrimmed memory? I think this is the app you're thinking of is this. I used to use this regularly, I remember when first using it it was a revelation but subsequent uses have never been as good as that first time to the extent that it is useless now really?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Apparently trim is not a problem since 4.3 but it really really seems like the issue is with untrimmed memory? I think this is the app you're thinking of is this. I used to use this regularly, I remember when first using it it was a revelation but subsequent uses have never been as good as that first time to the extent that it is useless now really?

That's the one alright. And you're right, it was never as zippy afterwards as the first time you use it :)

That's also utter bollix about TRIM not still being an issue. The tablet thinks it's full all the time and can't access free space for virtual RAM or paging. You can feel it when you're using the thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

marcbrophy wrote: »
    That's the one alright. And you're right, it was never as zippy afterwards as the first time you use it :)

That's also utter bollix about TRIM not still being an issue. The tablet thinks it's full all the time and can't access free space for virtual RAM or paging. You can feel it when you're using the thing :D

time to condemn this to someone who doesn't know any better on adverts.

its criminally slow after the last update.

probably owes me nothing at this stage good peice of kit but just crippled with the last 2 updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

eoinf wrote: »
    time to condemn this to someone who doesn't know any better on adverts.

its criminally slow after the last update.

probably owes me nothing at this stage good peice of kit but just crippled with the last 2 updates.

Can you not go back to earlier versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I found my Nexus 7 (older gen) has really slowed down since the update. At times it's barely usable. It keeps lagging and taking ages just to switch tabs in a browser, playing videos is not great now either. I hadn't really had any problems with it until now. The problems have stopped me from even using it at times because it takes so long to do stuff on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think I'll be giving up on lollipop and switching back to an earlier version as it is really annoying now and not useable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i have the 2013 version, still no lollipop update, anyway of pushing it?

For the guys with the original 2012 model I can't stress enough how beneficial it is to do a factory reset and then only reinstall the apps you a: actually use and b: the apps that you know have been optimised for lollipop . I have done this and mine is working grand and the battery is definitely lasting longer .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

jonski wrote: »
    For the guys with the original 2012 model I can't stress enough how beneficial it is to do a factory reset and then only reinstall the apps you a: actually use and b: the apps that you know have been optimised for lollipop . I have done this and mine is working grand and the battery is definitely lasting longer .

Stupid question, but this takes you back to the original firmware? Are we missing anything significant by doing this, in terms of features, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I'm thinking of getting a refurbed 2012 version of this for the kids. Is this still a good idea? Would a refurbished one be fine, and can I just not update it for lollipop in order to avoid the lag issues being experience by many?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

scudzilla wrote: »
    i have the 2013 version, still no lollipop update, anyway of pushing it?

Same here. The Nexus update checker says you can download and install it manually, but only if rooted. Sometimes its better just to wait, then benefit from the experience of those who have gone before..

Saipanne wrote: »
    Stupid question, but this takes you back to the original firmware? Are we missing anything significant by doing this, in terms of features, etc?

No, it will take you back to a clean install of the last firmware installed. It is a bit miss named in calling it a factory reset.

Saipanne wrote: »

Once you have done the update and then do a factor reset you are brought back to a clean, no apps , version of the update , not the original version that came with the tablet when you got it .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I still have received the OTA. Did ye download from somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

homer911 wrote: »
    Same here. The Nexus update checker says you can download and install it manually, but only if rooted. Sometimes its better just to wait, then benefit from the experience of those who have gone before..

You don't need to be rooted. You can sideload as per http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/beginner/how-to-install-the-lollipop-ota-on-your-nexus-device-download-links-included/

Did this to my own Nexus7 2013 and seems to be working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The only OTA update I'm still waiting on is for the N7 2013.
    Are people getting/not getting it? I know how google deploy but
    seems reports for N7 2013 are quieter.

Annoying having one device with different OS version.
    Updated N10 and N4 without any dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

What's the best version of Android to have on the 2012 Nexus 7?

I installed Lollipop and there is severe lag now so would like to go back to a previous version, maybe Jellybean?

• Advertisement

Didn't get as far as downgrading the firmware yet, but the factory reset has made an improvement. The Facebook app seemed to kill the tablet immediately and put it back into the practically useless state. Uninstalled that and it came back to life again. Will try reinstalling some other apps one by one to see if they cripple the tablet also.

Advertisement