Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Moto X is a Google owned phone...they bought Motorollas phone division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Moto X is a Google owned phone...they bought Motorollas phone division.

yes, but its a phone, on a mobile network, which often requires permission from Verzon or other network to update. That usually takes a while ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

198321 wrote: »
    yes, but its a phone, on a mobile network, which often requires permission from Verzon or other network to update. That usually takes a while ...

Has every Moto X owner received the OTA before every Nexus owner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

For some reason on my 2013 Nexus 7 I have the Play Magazines app on my device but if I go into it it just being gcd me to a page sawing unavailable. Perhaps this is an indication that Google may be bringing this to Ireland some time soon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Just installed KitKat from an OTA install was notified on a reboot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Even on my Stock Unrooted Nexus S there's a Google Play Magazines app, this makes me think that Google are about to launch Magazines here. Is this also on anyone else's device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

:O ME TOO!!!!!
    Installing as I type :-)

I've no idea why I'm so excited ... there is barely any noticeable difference.
    But I'm sooo excited :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep some kitkat goodness ota on my nexus 7 right about now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭leche solara

Just got the ota update too. Haven't noticed any differences yet 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Got it too last night - only thing I noticed so far is that flash is no longer working on Firefox

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 adrianm68

Ditto. Pushed to my older Nexus 7 3g last night. Have not noticed much of a difference yet.

Great thread BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Just came home there now and checked it and the update is installing .

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mac B

Kit Kat installed ota but now my email keeps stopping, no problem with gmail of course, any one else got problems

Got it going now, had to clear all data in settings, force stop and then start the email app again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

I am still on 4.3

I have gone to update search but it says i am up-to-date

What can i do to get 4.4 please?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

I am still on 4.3

I have gone to update search but it says i am up-to-date

What can i do to get 4.4 please?

Thanks
    Look at the guide in the post just under this one In the Android forum

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

The download was ready to run on my Nexus 7 a few days ago but I held off due to all the problems that have been occurring with the S3 users. Unfortunately my tech-savvy 4 year old went ahead and let the install run. Now Sky Go has stopped working. Just a heads up for anyone else out there who uses Sky Go.
    Haven't had a chance to try out anything else yet to see what else has been fecked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Still have not received the ota. Too scared to try the manual method in case I miss up.

Curious to know why some people receive ota updates and others do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

iba wrote: »
    Still have not received the ota. Too scared to try the manual method in case I miss up.

Curious to know why some people receive ota updates and others do not.

I waited a lot longer than most for 4.3 OTA, but seemed to get 4.4 fairly quickly. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well it not as if 4.4 turns it into a supercomputer or anything.

You get colouredy circles instead of the pointy x thing on the boot up screen and the flash work around for firefox no longer works for me

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Nice. Hopefully it just makes it more stable as my one can be really unresponsive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Mine (2013) nexus 7 decided to download apps and stuff from play store with terrible slow speed. Speedmeter says my speed is 90Mbps and I usually download stuff 2-3MB/s but play store only 100KB/s ... strange

They start rolling it on 3 Nov, but could get to us weeks and weeks after that, as it was with last time, think I waited over month for it to finally ask me if I want to update. But I am still happy with it, didn't think we get it this year.

198321 wrote: »
    Mine (2013) nexus 7 decided to download apps and stuff from play store with terrible slow speed. Speedmeter says my speed is 90Mbps and I usually download stuff 2-3MB/s but play store only 100KB/s ... strange

They start rolling it on 3 Nov, but could get to us weeks and weeks after that, as it was with last time, think I waited over month for it to finally ask me if I want to update. But I am still happy with it, didn't think we get it this year.

If your impatient like me you will always be able to get the installation files from the likes of Android police once it's released.

Need some help here. When the second gen nexus 7 is completely dead and you are charging it what comes up on the screen? Does the battery symbol come up and show that it is charging and then go away after 1 or 2 cycles or does it stay on the screen continuously?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Fresh Pots wrote: »

happy days actually .

looks like I'll be holding off on a replacement for another year at least

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

DoubleD wrote: »
    Need some help here. When the second gen nexus 7 is completely dead and you are charging it what comes up on the screen? Does the battery symbol come up and show that it is charging and then go away after 1 or 2 cycles or does it stay on the screen continuously?

Mine normally shows the battery symbol, then goes off, it doesn't stay on the screen when charging. Also one quick press of the power button will bring the battery symbol back up to show the status of the battery charging when the unit is powered off.

Bligh wrote: »
    Mine normally shows the battery symbol, then goes off, it doesn't stay on the screen when charging. Also one quick press of the power button will bring the battery symbol back up to show the status of the battery charging when the unit is powered off.

Perfect, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Has anyone got Lollipop OTA yet?

I haven't turned on my N7 for a few days, just curious is it rolling out now that Google have released it for the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Absolutely simple, works a treat on my late 2012 Nexus 7, already had Nexus Root Toolkit installed on Win 7, cant go wrong with this method (Famous last words)
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-update-nexus-android-5-0-lollipop/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Raoul

Honest opinion. Gf has a nexus 4. She doesn't have a laptop. Would she like a nexus 7 for browsing the net?

My mate has one and said that while he loves it, he would prefer to get something bigger as the size of smartphones are getting bigger. I don't think she will want to change her phone any time soon though.

Advertisement