Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Bus GT Class

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I was stuck that it's obvious that the staff have been asked for input to these new buses ( via their union ). However the passengers seem to have no input.

However they seem nice enough.

I would like to have seen LED signs to tell you the next stop

I didn't spot if these buses ' kneel down ' , but I assume they do.

I don't know of any drivers that were asked for input as they don't listen about the driving seat all been a bad and uncomfortable design.

They all Kneel and ramp is at front only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ever been on a Luas or a rush hour DART in 2001-2005. Being squashed against a door is a regular every day thing on the way to and from where you want to get to.

It's a non issue really that has been dealt with in this and other countries for many years.
    bk wrote: »
    I'd imagine zero risk, as there design indicate they slide out and to the side, thus no possibility of being forced open.

Again most countries operate multi-door buses with up to 6 double doors without people falling out, really not an issue :rolleyes:

Ah ok, i was just thinking back to times when C.I.E./Dublin Bus/Bus Eireann/Irish Rail maintenance meant doors were to be avoided especially emergency doors on school buses, and also times when the older buses had centre doors which would often be held on by nothing more than the grace of the Almighty and there was usually more wind and rain inside the bus than outside on wet and wild evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

I don't know of any drivers that were asked for input as they don't listen about the driving seat all been a bad and uncomfortable design.

They all Kneel and ramp is at front only

My input would have been to add the drivers emergency exit that we had on the RV class. Spring loaded cab doors, jammed windows = a coffin.

The reason I brought up about been able to pull in safely at stops is that this is Ireland not any other EU country as it's now turning into sue for anything you can.
    If the bus is not at the kerb the driver is leaving themselves open to be doing the wrong thing as it's more of a chance of someone triping.
    I have seen people getting on and off even with the bus pulled right to the kerb level with the path and trip and fall now saying that it's funny sometimes.:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

bk wrote: »
    As long as the front door can get at the footpath, there shouldn't be an issue. The odd wheel chair or buggy can exit via the front door if the side door hasn't quite reached the footpath, everyone else can get off the side door like normal.

It really isn't rocket science. It is done every day around Europem, where the vast majority of buses have minimum of 2 doors and up to 6!!

And don't give me this rubbish about them having better stops, while generally true, I've often seen and used multidoor buses that didn't pull up to the footpath in other European countries, quiet frequently actually.

Only in Ireland does this seem to be an issue.

In France at the moment and Northern Brittany and I can attest that the 16a is far from wheelchair accessible. They also drive in a poorer fashion than we are used to with speeds seeming lower.

I note that Golden Ticket holders have to have their RFID-enabled pass (the 10-journey carnet is also RFID) or else they have to pay cash. An interesting way to detail the travel patterns of golden ticket users - eg does a guy based in Athy need to travel to Galway free of charge ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

How come the new buses don't have the bars mounted on the upper deck front window?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Does anyone have a date when these buses come into service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭kieran4003

They should be in service mid - late september. Deliveries have started, GT1-3 arrived in Broadstone today, with GT4-6 expected over the weekend. They will need to be registered first. They are similar to the existing VG class so driver training will not take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

kieran4003 wrote: »
    They should be in service mid - late september. Deliveries have started, GT1-3 arrived in Broadstone today, with GT4-6 expected over the weekend. They will need to be registered first. They are similar to the existing VG class so driver training will not take long.

How are they transported down to Dublin? Do they drive them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

parsi wrote: »
    In France at the moment and Northern Brittany and I can attest that the 16a is far from wheelchair accessible. They also drive in a poorer fashion than we are used to with speeds seeming lower.

I note that Golden Ticket holders have to have their RFID-enabled pass (the 10-journey carnet is also RFID) or else they have to pay cash. An interesting way to detail the travel patterns of golden ticket users - eg does a guy based in Athy need to travel to Galway free of charge ?

Parsi,Interesting times ahead for Irish "Golden Ticket" Holders,however I expect some strident opposition to the principle of asking such folks anything at all about their entitlement....;)

http://etcproceedings.org/paper/smartcard-data-on-use-of-free-concessionary-travel-by-older-and-disabled-bus-p

http://www.nctr.usf.edu/2011/11/ridership-impacts-of-south-floridas-easy-smart-card/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

How are they transported down to Dublin? Do they drive them down?

Yep they drive them down. I think they use trade plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭kieran4003

They should carry trade plates similar to this Bus Eireann example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46691524@N08/6846122669/in/set-72157629855074408

:eek::eek::eek:

7 to get new buses first rather than be one of the last routes to keep the oldest ones in the fleet. How about that!

It is great news, even the 4 will get them too.

I would say around 80% of buses being driven along the Rock Road bus corridor including Booterstown and Blackrock will be GT's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

are they strictly kept on the 7 or will they be used on other routes

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

:eek::eek::eek:

7 to get new buses first rather than be one of the last routes to keep the oldest ones in the fleet. How about that!

The 7 rte was the first to have the AX fleet on it too. Spoilt out that way arent you's!!! :P

stehyl15 wrote: »
    are they strictly kept on the 7 or will they be used on other routes
    15 for rte7, the other 6 will wander QBC areas.

Just found this video of GT 1 & 2.

This was from Dublinbus.cc which also includes new photos of them at Broadstone Garage

How come the new buses don't have the bars mounted on the upper deck front window?

Different bodybuilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

does anyone else think they'd look better if the Wrights logo was a different colour or had the chrome trim?

does anyone else think they'd look better if the Wrights logo was a different colour or had the chrome trim?

Something like this...
    AW6.100704.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

look the exact same as a vg with a middle door on the outside but the real surprises are inside

More info on the GT's below.

The reg numbers for the new GT's are listed here with this link. The list from the Irish road passenger transport forum will be updated at anytime of the day.

GT 1 is to be registered as 12-D-35990, it was pictured at Donnybroook Garage. It has started driver training along with GT 2 & 7 .

GT 4 to 6 were delivered recently with a rear shot of the newer buses added in.

There is also an article confirming the routes for the new buses from Herald.ie.

Have a look of this photo of GT 7 and spot one difference in it. It is a fairly odd bus alright.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/7849914900/sizes/z/in/photostream/

The oddity is in the display just beside the front door. It may be a glitch in the software. Let's hope it is not happening for the other GT's.

Have a look of this photo of GT 7 and spot one difference in it. It is a fairly odd bus alright.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/7849914900/sizes/z/in/photostream/

The oddity is in the display just beside the front door. It may be a glitch in the software. Let's hope it is not happening for the other GT's.

Lucky number 7
    it nows its a 7 so wont accept another route haha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

These in service yet?

Thought I saw a Dublin Bus with a middle door on Dorset Street yesterday.

Some of them are out on driver training. Should be hitting the road very shortly.

Why were'nt they fitted with DRL's like the new BE coaches

Why were'nt they fitted with DRL's like the new BE coaches

Dublin bus have gone for the older wrights design unlike Bus Eireann who have the new design. Dublin bus have the VG,s in service already which will share most parts with the new GT,s. This will save Dublin Bus money in the long run on parts etc etc.

Dublin Bus VG:
    5215394367_17c33e8e83_z.jpg

Dublin Bus GT:
    GT1%20FRT.jpg

Bus Eireann VWD
    ba126dd18d2fa0e85b8441f763c9845f8788c163_r.jpg

Note the difference in the newer model. This would mean more parts for Dublin Bus.

Dublin Bus have done extra small additions on their livery.

They now have the Transport For Ireland logo painted in black rather than white. Also, a noticable wifi logo has been placed on the left side of the new fleet.

Darren Hall's Flickr account is displaying GT4 & 5 having the new work done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dublin bus have gone for the older wrights design unlike Bus Eireann who have the new design. Dublin bus have the VG,s in service already which will share most parts with the new GT,s. This will save Dublin Bus money in the long run on parts etc etc.

Note the difference in the newer model. This would mean more parts for Dublin Bus.

Now I know there's likely some long-winded admin/red-tape driven reason for this, but CIE is still CIE regardless of the "separate" companies.

Surely it would have made sense to make sure that the BE version was the same as the others? As well as probably getting a better tender price, parts and maintenance pricing/sharing would have been easier too.

Advertisement