Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Hopes 2012/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

may not be in the same class as some of the others mentions here but I will be interested to see how Jason Harris Wright gets on in Connacht.

freyners wrote: »
    may not be in the same class as some of the others mentions here but I will be interested to see how Jason Harris Wright gets on in Connacht.

big time. Think he could be a sneaky dark horse, good player, still plenty of progression to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I agree, Harris-Wright could be a seriously astute signing, may be a bit of a Cronin. I was always very impressed with him at Leinster. White was an absolutely superb signing also.

Funnily enough, I was looking at the Connacht squad the other day, and they're really building a very decent team over there. Hope they can build on last season, both in terms of league finish and in Heineken Cup as I felt they were unlucky last season not to get more from a few games and hopefully they can get at least 3 wins this time round.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I agree, Harris-Wright could be a seriously astute signing, may be a bit of a Cronin. I was always very impressed with him at Leinster. White was an absolutely superb signing also.

Funnily enough, I was looking at the Connacht squad the other day, and they're really building a very decent team over there. Hope they can build on last season, both in terms of league finish and in Heineken Cup as I felt they were unlucky last season not to get more from a few games and hopefully they can get at least 3 wins this time round.

True, 9LBPs between both competitions and quins away game tell its own story.

serious amount of young blood out west actually

JHW
    Griffin
    Mcsharry
    TOH
    Leyden
    Marmion
    Carthy
    Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Ormond Lad - just noticed looking at the Connacht Academy - there are a couple of lads whose school is given as Roscrea CBS (which would be in Munster (not Cistertian College). Is that correct or is it a misprint?

They are Tadgh Leader (the Bish & Roscrea CBS), Conor Layden & SHane Layden (both Roscrea CBS).

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/2012072582901/new-recruits-for-the-connacht-academy

Connacht academy also has 2 other lads from Munster

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    Ormond Lad - just noticed looking at the Connacht Academy - there are a couple of lads whose school is given as Roscrea CBS (which would be in Munster (not Cistertian College). Is that correct or is it a misprint?

They are Tadgh Leader (the Bish & Roscrea CBS), Conor Layden & SHane Layden (both Roscrea CBS).

Its correct, when Garbally closed its boarding school alot of players that would have went there went to Roscrea instead, like Conor Finn and TOH before him. Im not sure if its similar circumstances for the other two.

Edit: After reading the below i see i actually mis-read the question. as Phil says, its Cistercian. apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

jm08 wrote: »

Layden,Finn and Leader are Cistercian College. It's a misprint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

You'd hope that along with the obvious contenders there'll be a few more dark horses to emerge especially in the front row.

From and Munster and Ireland point of view it'll be interesting to see the impact Penney has on the young players. Even a bit of inspiration can go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ireland01

Is there any chance of gametime for J. Carthy in Connacht, with O'Connor gone he seems like a player worth developing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ireland01 wrote: »
    Is there any chance of gametime for J. Carthy in Connacht, with O'Connor gone he seems like a player worth developing
    Maybe but Parks Jarvis and Nikora are all in Connacht so there are three senior 10s already there.

I would say that he will get gametime in the B&I cup and if he impresses he can force his way into the senior team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

ireland01 wrote: »
    Carty will get plenty time in B&I Cup as Ciaran said. v good player who will get plenty of gametime over the next few years but will struggle for pro 12 time behind 3 senior pro's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Maybe but Parks Jarvis and Nikora are all in Connacht so there are three senior 10s already there.

I would say that he will get gametime in the B&I cup and if he impresses he can force his way into the senior team.

There is still too many senior outhalves there if you ask me. I can the B&I Cup starting 10 alternating between Jarvis and Nikora to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Interesting to look at your players with 3 months left in the season.
    Jack McGrath(22) - Has continued his incremental improvement this season and looks to be replacing HVDM as the second choice LH next season.
    Paddy McAlister(23) - season lost to injury early in the year.
    Denis Buckley(21) - had become Connacht's first choice LH but injury hit and he is just returning now.
    Dave Kilcoyne(23) - biggest success this season, Munster's unquestioned first choice LH and has been parachuted in ahead of Court with the national team.
    Henderson(20) - arguably a bigger success story than Kilcoyne, has got a lot more time at blindside flanker than second row this year but has been impressive.
    Nagle(23) - not much progress for Nagle, seems to be moving on next season. Destination unknown.
    Foley(24) - has resigned for Munster, but still not much progress seen.
    Dave O'Callaghan(22) - has had some bright performances this season but hasn't been a consistent selection
    Dominic Ryan(22) - impressed then a serious injury has stalled his progress, might be moving on at the end of the season.
    Marmion(20)- another huge success story, first choice scrumhalf now at connacht.
    Blane McIlroy(21) - 4th choice SH at Ulster.
    Jackson(20) - been steady this season but inconsistent, showed flashes of great potential.
    Hanrahan(20) - limited playing time this season, when he has played he seems to impress.
    Marshall(21) - has been impressive this season but hampered by an injury and has yet to displace Wallace at 12.
    Macken(21) - has shown a lot of improvement this season and is likely to be resigned to another contract.
    Griffin(22) - season has been lost to injury mostly.
    Conway(21) - has failed to live upto potential and is on the move to munster.

Henshaw(19) - Outstanding opening season. Showing confidence and enthusiasm in buckets. Still very raw, and needs some experience to iron out some decision making errors, but a WolfHounds Appearance and almost a full season of professional rugby with Connacht before he turns 20? Magical Start to his career.

One young player who has stood out this year not mentioned in original list:
    Robbie Henshaw(19) - impressed a lot at fullback this year, still very young and raw but shows huge potential. Is he a fullback long term though?
    Jordi Murphy(21) - has impressed at both openside and number 8 this season for Leinster.
    Michael Heaney(23) - third choice scrumhalf has really impressed in limited time this season.
    Luke O'Dea(22) - with limited time he has shown flashes that he could be a very good wing for Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Is there talk of Dominic Ryan moving on at end of the season?

Ben Marshall is another that's impressed, bit of a bolt from the blue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Predictions for new caps in 2012/2013
    McAlister, Strauss, Ryan, Jackson, Griffin

Cursed!

Not to mention Strauss' injury definitely being related to that curse!

Is there talk of Dominic Ryan moving on at end of the season?

Well his contract hasn't been renewed yet, so there is certainly a question mark there.

Well his contract hasn't been renewed yet, so there is certainly a question mark there.

Ah I'd say it's highly unlikely he'll be let go at this stage.
    Haven't heard any rumours yet either, unlike Ruddock to Munster last year for eg.

Ah I'd say it's highly unlikely he'll be let go at this stage.
    Haven't heard any rumours yet either, unlike Ruddock to Munster last year for eg.

True, its more like Leo would be moved on.
    Leaving Leinster with a back row looking like this next season:

Jennings(32), Heaslip(29), McLaughlin(28), O'Brien(26), Ryan(23), Murphy(22), Ruddock(22) all in the senior setup.

then Conan(21), Gilsenan(20), Van Der Flier(20), Leavy(19) in the academy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Jack McGrath(22) - Has continued his incremental improvement this season and looks to be replacing HVDM as the second choice LH next season.
    Denis Buckley(21) - had become Connacht's first choice LH but injury hit and he is just returning now.
    Dave Kilcoyne(23) - biggest success this season, Munster's unquestioned first choice LH and has been parachuted in ahead of Court with the national team.
    Henderson(20) - arguably a bigger success story than Kilcoyne, has got a lot more time at blindside flanker than second row this year but has been impressive.
    Nagle(23) - not much progress for Nagle, seems to be moving on next season. Destination unknown.
    Dave O'Callaghan(22) - has had some bright performances this season but hasn't been a consistent selection
    Dominic Ryan(22) - impressed then a serious injury has stalled his progress, might be moving on at the end of the season.
    Marmion(20)- another huge success story, first choice scrumhalf now at connacht.
    Jackson(20) - been steady this season but inconsistent, showed flashes of great potential.
    Hanrahan(20) - limited playing time this season, when he has played he seems to impress.
    Marshall(21) - has been impressive this season but hampered by an injury and has yet to displace Wallace at 12.
    Macken(21) - has shown a lot of improvement this season and is likely to be resigned to another contract.

Gloucester Rugby.

True, its more like Leo would be moved on.
    Leaving Leinster with a back row looking like this next season:

Jennings(32), Heaslip(29), McLaughlin(28), O'Brien(26), Ryan(23), Murphy(22), Ruddock(22) all in the senior setup.

then Conan(21), Gilsenan(20), Van Der Flier(20), Leavy(19) in the academy.

Yes I hope Leo moves on actually, not room for him and he doesn't look like he wants it all that much. Would thrive at an Italian team or in the English Championship though.

Unlikely that we'll be able to keep all those backrowers though in the coming few years.

Yes I hope Leo moves on actually, not room for him and he doesn't look like he wants it all that much. Would thrive at an Italian team or in the English Championship though.

Unlikely that we'll be able to keep all those backrowers though in the coming few years.

He could probably do well in the Premiership as backup. He'd be good for coming into those games late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fair comments there, although there have been hints recently that Luke Marshall has possibly overtaken Paddy wallace but we won't really know for sure until the HEC Q/F.

Good to see Kilcoyne and Henderson get caps.

I wonder how many of those guys we think will be capped in the summer?

It might depend on the coach and who makes the Lions tour but assuming Jackson gets a cap in the next few weeks due to Sexton's injury, I'd hope to see Kieron Marmion, Luke Marshall, Robbie Henshaw and JJ Hanrahan tour in June.

I don't think Marshall will start the QF. I love Paddy Wallace but I'd be delighted to see Anscombe make that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't think Marshall will start the QF. I love Paddy Wallace but I'd be delighted to see Anscombe make that call.

I'm not sure to be honest Buccs. The last couple of times that they've both been fit at the same time Marshall has got the nod. They're both available this weekend so we'll see who gets the nod, but we won't really know until April. Either way it's only a matter of time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

who are Irelands mostly likely candidates at 12 & 13 for the next RWC and beyond? As BOD and Darce are very near retirement i think like most Ire fans we'll see an area of great experience and strength move to an area of weakness....

Will we just fill 12 & 13 with adequate players and evolve our game so we become stronger in other positions i.e. decent centre but world class wings

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    who are Irelands mostly likely candidates at 12 & 13 for the next RWC and beyond? As BOD and Darce are very near retirement i think like most Ire fans we'll see an area of great experience and strength move to an area of weakness....

Will we just fill 12 & 13 with adequate players and evolve our game so we become stronger in other positions i.e. decent centre but world class wings

Marshall and McSharry are looking like strong candidates for the 12 spot, could be a tussle between them for a long time

at 13 we have EOM and Griffin, both are dogged by injuries but are true class when fit and firing

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

A lot can happen in two years, but the candidates are Cave, Earls, EOM, Griffin, Payne, McFadden, Marshall, McSharry.

• Advertisement

13. Earls, Cave, Griffin, O'Malley, Macken.
    12. Marshall, McSharry, McFadden.

Advertisement