Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular hip hop opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I really don't like Aesop Rock. :(

Aesop is definitely an acquired taste, Labor Days and None Shall Pass are great albums. The more you listen to him the more he grows on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

latenia wrote: »
    House of Pain's first album is a classic.

Couldnt agree with you more :) Got the CD a few weeks back and it's been regularly played since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Seriously you won't find a guy on here with more unpopular and outrageous opinions than me. Here goes.

-Biggie and 2pac are not top 20 worthy let alone top 5
    -Big L is far from the best punchline artist ever and shouldn't be considered top 30 let alone top 10
    -One Be Lo is the best rapper of all time (probably the most outrageous one but I feel damn strongly about it and I think he definitely deserves consideration)
    -KRS-One is boring as hell 75% of the time and hasn't been relevant or worth listening to with a long @ss time now
    -Don't Sweat The Technique is the most enjoyable and overall best Eric B + Rakim album
    -The Black Album is Jay-Z's best album
    -CunninLynguists are wack besides Kno's production
    -Eazy E was/is a terrible rapper
    -Ghostface Killah is the best rapper from the Wu overall and should be considered for top 10 status
    -My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was awful and is as bad or if not worse than 808's which was a well executed creative and experimental album but was just too experimental for most people
    -Tonedeff although technically a good rapper is truly a sub par rapper
    -Ice Cube has the most classic albums/joints bar none
    -Lloyd Banks is and has always been the best rapper in G-Unit regardless of albums released

I've got lots more but I think that'll do for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

-Lloyd Banks is and has always been the best rapper in G-Unit regardless of albums released

agreed !
    Ludacris and Method Man are underrated
    agreed even though luda's new stuff is awful.

- 808s was possibly one of the worst albums iv ever listened too.
    - 50 cent is the mixtape king and set the blueprint for what the mixtape game is today, 1st successful artist to them in song format and get a record deal through them.
    - lil wayne is one of the worst rappers iv ever heard, really ruins just about every song he's on.
    - Snoop dogg has fallen of so much that he should honestly retire. Most of his new stuff is just cringe-worthy.
    - Illmatic is not the greatest hip hop album of all time.
    - Drake is not hip hop imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The majority of people who post in this forum don't have the first clue about Hip Hop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Lil' Wayne could have been one of the greatest, but he riggidy-wrecked himself :p

I don't think he ever had it in him to become one of the greatest. I think his mixtapes were probably his best works but even they wouldn't match up to the other great mixtape artists around.

He's a joke now.
    TheComeUp wrote: »
    Ghostface Killah is the best rapper from the Wu overall and should be considered for top 10 status

I agree with that.
    My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was awful

Can't agree with this.
    50 cent is the mixtape king and set the blueprint for what the mixtape game is today, 1st successful artist to them in song format and get a record deal through them.

I think Chamillionaire's mixtapes as a whole are actually better than 50's.

His Mixtape Messiah series is one of the greatest in the whole industry. His first tape, "The Mixtape Messiah", is the most bought mixtape in Texas history. No mean feat in a state the size of Texas. It's also the longest with 67 tracks and it managed to end Mike Jones' career.

There are 7 mixtapes in that series and each of them is brilliant, and he has put out a lot of other high quality tapes.

This didn't exactly transfer over into the commercial side like 50 managed to do but there's still time.
    Snoop dogg has fallen of so much that he should honestly retire. Most of his new stuff is just cringe-worthy.

Have you heard his reggae song? It's rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

-Tonedeff although technically a good rapper is truly a sub par rapper

not that im trying to be smart or anything but what do you mean by that?

Just on the point of dead rappers being over hyped. I think that with Biggie his best was perhaps yet to come. I think that hed be held in even higher regard if hed brought out 5/6 albums. Fair enough if he was still rapping now he surely wouldve brought out some dross but I still think that wouldve been worth it. When I listen to him im not thinking about how sad it is that his life was cut short though. Im thinking 'every single one of these tracks is a thing of beauty and id like more of it'

Anywho unpopular opinion eh???
    D-12 world is a quality album and as a group they werent given the credit they deserved(barring the fatty of course) purely becuase they were 'latching' onto eminem

MrKingsley wrote: »

Anywho unpopular opinion eh???
    D-12 world is a quality album and as a group they werent given the credit they deserved(barring the fatty of course) purely becuase they were 'latching' onto eminem

Coincidentally I'm listening to Proof as i type this, i have Devils Night and i have to say it's a fairly good album for the most part, i didnt hold D-12 in high regard until i'd heard it, i was always a fan of proofs solo stuff though.

I think Chamillionaire's mixtapes as a whole are actually better than 50's.

His Mixtape Messiah series is one of the greatest in the whole industry. His first tape, "The Mixtape Messiah", is the most bought mixtape in Texas history. No mean feat in a state the size of Texas. It's also the longest with 67 tracks and it managed to end Mike Jones' career.

There are 7 mixtapes in that series and each of them is brilliant, and he has put out a lot of other high quality tapes.

This didn't exactly transfer over into the commercial side like 50 managed to do but there's still time.

im well aware of chamillionaires presence on the mixtape scene and how many he has out there, he's similar to banks and budden in terms of being a heavy mixtape artist with series of tapes behind his back. I give 50 the credit purely because he really made the mixtape scene what it is today, started making them in song format after none of the labels would sign him after he was shot in the early 00s and managed to create a huge buzz from them similar to what artists like cole,lamar and even drake have done in recent years and manged to get that 1 million dollar deal with shady/aftermath even before an album.

i really am lazy towards cham and tbh what iv heard i like a lot, he brought a few songs out a few months back and one of them was a version of one of j.coles songs and it got some serious playback from me at the time.
    Have you heard his reggae song? It's rubbish.
    yes i have man, terrible !. He's actually bringing out a reggae album, interesting too see how it stacks up against distant relatives because that was quality imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Coincidentally I'm listening to Proof..

He is excellent. (brilliant albums and his d12 work, he should get as much respect as Biggie and Eminem)

Which reminds me that Eminem is far from a top 5 rapper he is not the best rapper from detroit (Royce) or d12 (Proof) even and he barely places himself in his top 10 (he places himself 9th..)

Much like with Biggie I am a huge fan but they get way way too much credit.

Hip-Hop is and never was dead or dieing, you just have to look.

• Advertisement

British hip hop is shít apart from some of Mike Skinners work.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    British hip hop is shít apart from some of Mike Skinners work.

Much like Irish, Canadian and other hip-hop there is some gems among the crap much like in America.

i really am lazy towards cham and tbh what iv heard i like a lot, he brought a few songs out a few months back and one of them was a version of one of j.coles songs and it got some serious playback from me at the time.

Which song was that? Was it from his Ammunition EP?

yes i have man, terrible !. He's actually bringing out a reggae album, interesting too see how it stacks up against distant relatives because that was quality imo.

It won't have a patch on that. Snoop seems to be trying to sing on it himself. He should just retire at this stage. He's making a fool of himself really. It won't be long until people start remembering him for this sort of gimmicky shíte and not the three classics that he was a part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

-Raekwon is one of the weakest from the wu. His flow is boring and he mostly spits just random ****.
    -Jay and Nas are way better than Biggie and 2 Pac ever were.
    -Eminem's best album was the slim shady LP.
    -GZA is good but overrated.
    -The takeover is a better diss than ether.
    -Kurupt is complete shyte now, much like snoop but in a different way.
    -Kool G Rap is/was way better than Rakim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

baddebt wrote: »

Kid has obviously never heard of Lauryn Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Good idea OP.

Here we go:

Tupac is extremely overrated as a rapper. He may be a decent poet to some but his rapping is just poor imo.

As someone said earlier, Takeover is a better song than Ether, Ether is probably more vicious but as a song Takeover is better and deserves more credit.

Lil Wayne is ****e by and large. Can't understand the appeal for him.

Rick Ross is another person I don't understand the appreciation for, one decent album is all he has done.

Action Bronson deserves more credit, really good rapper, I feel his colour/appearence is holding him back.

Asher Roth is a good rapper, the fact that "I love College" was his big single is not a fair representation of him. While he is quite fratty he has done some great with Nottz.

J. Cole is hugely talented and should get more appreciation.

Kanye West has been one of hip hops most important figures, even if you dont like his music you have to appreciate his talent/success/work.

I know it won a Mercury but "Boy in the Corner" from Dizzee Rascal is a brilliant album and more people need to listen to it. Forget the recent years where he has been cashing in (which I have no problem with), BITC will be a future classic.

Frank Ocean and maybe Earl will be the only part of the OF movement that we will be hearing about in 5 years time.

Jay Z has had the best career of anyone in rap.

The new age of piracy isnt ruining the music industry, it is helping it.

Wu Tang are becoming a parody of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Hmmm...

Ghostface Killah is the best rapper of all time, just ahead of Kool G Rap for me

DJ Paul & Juicy J are the most underrated producers of all time

Immortal Technique is a sh!tty rapper, a good lyricist at his best, but his flow and delivery are atrocious

Rick Ross has been making better music than 50 Cent or The Game since 2009 (not sure if this is unpopular, probably on this forum)

Lil Wayne is overhated on this board, Da Drought 3, Dedication 2, Carter 1 and 2 and the Carter 3 sessions are all solid

Wu Tang Forever is the most underrated album of the 90s, in any genre

The 7 Day Theory is 2pac's best album

Follow the Leader is a far superior album to Paid In Full

Electric Circus is one of Common's best releases, and one of the most overlooked albums of the 2000s

Just a few for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Everything Lil Wayne has released is pure shyte.

Tyler the Creator and well pretty much all of Odd Future are over rated.

I actually like Relapse, and think Em might have 1 more decent album in him.

Lowkey is a brilliant rapper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Rap music peaked in 1994 and it's gone downhill since. The only reason people rate the recent rappers is because they don't listen to the older stuff.

Waka and 2chains are worse than Drake, Ross or Wayne.

• Advertisement

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Ghostface Killah is the best rapper of all time, just ahead of Kool G Rap for me

DJ Paul & Juicy J are the most underrated producers of all time

Immortal Technique is a sh!tty rapper, a good lyricist at his best, but his flow and delivery are atrocious

Rick Ross has been making better music than 50 Cent or The Game since 2009 (not sure if this is unpopular, probably on this forum)

Lil Wayne is overhated on this board, Da Drought 3, Dedication 2, Carter 1 and 2 and the Carter 3 sessions are all solid

Wu Tang Forever is the most underrated album of the 90s, in any genre

The 7 Day Theory is 2pac's best album

Follow the Leader is a far superior album to Paid In Full

Electric Circus is one of Common's best releases, and one of the most overlooked albums of the 2000s

Just a few for now :)

I actually agree with you on all except for the Ghost one...Ghost is top 10 for me but #1 is a real push. Glad you put down Ghost though. He's clearly the best rapper from the Wu imo

Which song was that? Was it from his Ammunition EP?
    voice of reason its called over coles lost one's, great song not sure what its from.
    Jay Z has had the best career of anyone in rap.
    very true.
    I actually like Relapse, and think Em might have 1 more decent album in him.
    +1
    Carter 3 sessions are all solid
    I never really listened to wayne previous to carter 3 which was released around the time he really blew up. That album alone is the worst album iv ever bought ! i fell for the hype and just couldnt get over how bad he was. Just mumbling random words, i think the hate's well deserved because he makes terrible music bar the odd few like milli.
    J. Cole is hugely talented and should get more appreciation.
    +1 even though the album was a letdown imo, it was too commercial and different to the sound of his mixtapes, a bit like yelawolf who's going at with the label now because they told him to make his debut album more radio/commercial friendly when he wanted to keep his original sound.

this the song jimmy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Best rap song ever made. Ye guys know nothing

voice of reason its called over coles lost one's, great song not sure what its from.

Ah yea. That was just a random song that he put out.

He's the best in the business at getting on another artists beat and owning it. No one else comes close imo. Just wish he'd start showing that talent on an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Tupac is one of the fakest n***** of all time, full of hate and cheap beef.
    Lil Wayne is almost universally awful, and I could tolerate him on a total of about 3 songs ever
    Rick Ross is a symbol for everything that is wrong with hip hop, and music on a wider scale (also see Drake & Lil Wayne)
    GZA is one of the most underrated ever
    OutKast - Aquemini is in the top 5 hip hop albums ever
    Chamillionaire - Hip Hop Police is one of my favourite tracks ever
    Kanye West gets too much flack, only album he has done that isn't a classic or close to a classic is 808's
    Notorious B.I.G is the greatest
    Big L is one of the greatest to ever MC and is extremely underrated

weemcd wrote: »

Great song but I much prefer "Ultimate Victory" from that album. That is my favourite song. Sick beat and the deepest and dopest lyrics I've heard in many a year. I don't know too many other rappers who would put that song out.

"Hip Hop Police" is one of the best videos I've seen.

On that note, "Ultimate Victory" is one of the most under-rated albums around. It sold almost nothing and I think many of it's songs are better than "Sound of Revenge". Cham changed from the formula that brought him success on his debut and he paid for it, unfortunately.

Dr Dre is only average compared to Premo, RZA or Dilla.
    Pete Rock is also superior to Dre.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I actually agree with you on all except for the Ghost one...Ghost is top 10 for me but #1 is a real push. Glad you put down Ghost though. He's clearly the best rapper from the Wu imo
    I dunno man, I just think Ghost's longevity sets him apart, he's being going strong for 20 years now

His discography, for me, is probably the best of any solo emcee, (even with Bulletproof Wallets, Pretty Toney LP and Fishscale suffering from sample clearance issues) and Supreme Clientelle might be my favourite mic performance ever, then you his work with Rae, his verses on the Wu albums and his guest spots,

It's definitely not a popular opinion, but that's just what I think
    I never really listened to wayne previous to carter 3 which was released around the time he really blew up. That album alone is the worst album iv ever bought ! i fell for the hype and just couldnt get over how bad he was. Just mumbling random words, i think the hate's well deserved because he makes terrible music bar the odd few like milli.

Nah man, I don't mean the retail version of Carter 3, there's a few mixtapes floating around called Carter 3 sessions, which feature leaked tracks that where meant to be on C3, it should have been a great album, seriously!
    I hated Wayne until I heard those

< this was butchered into "Playing with Fire"

....and instead we got crap like Ms. Officer and La La!

weemcd wrote: »
    Tupac is one of the fakest n***** of all time, full of hate and cheap beef.
    Lil Wayne is almost universally awful, and I could tolerate him on a total of about 3 songs ever
    Rick Ross is a symbol for everything that is wrong with hip hop, and music on a wider scale (also see Drake & Lil Wayne)
    GZA is one of the most underrated ever
    OutKast - Aquemini is in the top 5 hip hop albums ever
    Kanye West gets too much flack, only album he has done that isn't a classic or close to a classic is 808's
    Notorious B.I.G is the greatest
    Big L is one of the greatest to ever MC and is extremely underrated

I agree with alot of this but can't agree with some stuff. I hope you don't mind me going on a little?!

GZA is anything but underrated. C'mon now. Slept on by the public who haven't delved into the genre sure but anyone who has heard of him generally overrates him terribly. Slept on and underrated are different things. I like GZA alot and he has 3 superb solo albums but he definitely gets his praise from people who've heard his stuff.

In regards to Aquemini - Yes!!!! It's in my top 5 but normally it is held highly. But yes great one :) that album is too good

Personally Biggie wouldn't make my top 20 and although the GOAT is subjective I find it very hard how Biggie could be considered the best ever especially if someone actually has delved into rap somewhat below the surface. Two albums man? Not even a guy like Percee P, Pharoahe Monch, Canibus or Kool G Rap who are technically ridiculous could make it that high on a list nevermind Biggie who relied on his attractive flow and way with words. Sure he was a great storyteller too but we just didn't have the guy around long enough to be considered the best ever or even close. If you took Nas out of the frame after Illmatic and It Was Written you could possibly make a case for top 10-15 but not even Nas who is/was ahead of BIG technically (this should be a given) could be the GOAT if you're being any way neutral.

And may I ask you or anyone what is the big appeal with Big L? People say punchlines but there are so many better than him at it. Vakill, Chino XL, Celph Titled are just three who are definitely superior in that department. And it was really his only trick. He's one borderline classic and one other good album. Regardless there have been alot of better 'MC's' than him. I do like his storytelling but he didn't use it enough extensively and I think people would respect him more for that. But honestly Big L was dope but nothing totally amazing. Everything he did, there have been others who have done it better. And underrated? Man I think Big L is probably the most overrated rapper by people besides the obvious picks (Big, Em, Pac, Jay, Nas). I'm not trying to be too critical here but that stuff baffles me at times.

But you've got some good points there. I wouldn't go that extreme with 2pac but I definitely agree to an extinct.

• Advertisement

I find it very hard how Biggie could be considered the best ever especially if someone actually has delved into rap somewhat below the surface. Two albums man? Not even a guy like Percee P, Pharoahe Monch, Canibus or Kool G Rap who are technically ridiculous could make it that high on a list nevermind Biggie who relied on his attractive flow and way with words. Sure he was a great storyteller too but we just didn't have the guy around long enough to be considered the best ever or even close. If you took Nas out of the frame after Illmatic and It Was Written you could possibly make a case for top 10-15 but not even Nas who is/was ahead of BIG technically (this should be a given) could be the GOAT if you're being any way neutral.

Exactly, I get why NY rappers rate him highly but I don't see how others do. They are usually not 2pac fans which explains some of it but still it is odd.

Advertisement