Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular hip hop opinions.

Options
  • 27-07-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭

Stealing this idea from the music forum, basically state opinions you have on anything hip hop be it artists, albums, songs etc that you would deem unpopular.

Here goes, Game is shít, like really shít. 50 is the better rapper by a mile when those 2 are compared.

At one point in his career Busta was one of the best rappers on the planet.

Phife is a better rapper than Q-Tip.

Nas' new album is only decent, I'm not mad about it, only a couple of stand out tracks on it.

Eazy was just bad altogether, horrible voice, gammy flow, barely wrote his own lyrics.

Nowadays KRS-One is just a pain in the bollocks to listen to.

Knock yourselves out. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Here goes, Game is shít, like really shít. 50 is the better rapper by a mile when those 2 are compared.

Eazy was just bad altogether, horrible voice, gammy flow, barely wrote his own lyrics.

Nowadays KRS-One is just a pain in the bollocks to listen to.

You broke me, I don't know where to start.

Biggie is not a top 5 rapper, nor is he better than 2pac hell he is not even top 5 from Brooklyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

he is not even top 5 from Brooklyn.

Was surprised at that tbh, who would you rate above biggie that's from bk?

Was surprised at that tbh, who would you rate above biggie that's from bk?

Mos, Kweli, Ortiz, GZA and BDK and MCA.

Mos, Kweli, Ortiz, GZA and BDK and MCA

I'd agree with that apart from Ortiz, I'm not mad into him. Jay Z is another brooklyn rapper, would you rate him above big?

I'd agree with that apart from Ortiz, I'm not mad into him. Jay Z is another brooklyn rapper, would you rate him above big?

Yes, I can't believe I did not put him on. I was thinking him. Well there is 6/7 better than Big from Brooklyn alone. He died, he was then over-hyped.

• Advertisement

He died, he was then over-hyped.

I dont think he was over-hyped, he was an excellent MC. He had it all really, brilliant flow, lyrics, beats (for the most part). If any dead rapper is over-hyped it's Tupac.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Yes, I can't believe I did not put him on. I was thinking him. Well there is 6/7 better than Big from Brooklyn alone. He died, he was then over-hyped.

It happens a lot with dead artists, and people in general.

If Biggie and Tupac were around today I don't think they'd have the same mythical status in hip hop. They were frozen in time and they were spared the ignominy of trying to stay relevant to hip hop when they reach their 40s.

What more would Biggie be able to rap about? He would have turned 40 a few months ago. He wouldn't be able to keep rapping about drugs and bitches and all that, and I couldn't see him going down the "socially conscious rapper" route.

Tupac would probably have been able to get away with it, but he may have done a 3 Stacks on it and gone into films full time while putting out the odd verse.

I think I said on this a few months ago that if someone like Snoop had been shot and killed 5/10 years ago then he'd be immediately elevated to that top tier of rappers.

As bad and all as it is to say this if he was got after '2001' was released then he'd probably be held in the same regard as Biggie and Tupac. He played a significant role in 3 classics and ever since the turn of the millennium he has gone downhill and become a parody of himself. He's releasing a reggae album soon ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I really don't like Aesop Rock. :(

And scroobius pip doesn't rock my boat sadly.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I really don't like Aesop Rock. :(

That's not an unpopular one :p i know a good few people who wont tolerate his music, personally, I think he's brilliant.

I think 2pacs 10 platinum albums speak for themselves, and half of his best songs aren't even on some of those albums.

He did not have to die to nearly go Diamond either.

• Advertisement

I think 2pacs 10 platinum albums speak for themselves, and half of his best songs aren't even on some of those albums.

He did not have to die to nearly go Diamond either.

I know you're intelligent enough to know that sales dont reflect talent. Dont get me wrong though, I'm not doubting pacs talent.

I know you're intelligent enough to know that sales dont reflect talent. Dont get me wrong though, I'm not doubting pacs talent.

No, but his talent along with his sales clearly state he is in no way overhyped.

He was an actor etc too so his hype is around everything, but as a rapper he deserves his spot in rappers GOAT and fans GOAT lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What more would Biggie be able to rap about? He would have turned 40 a few months ago. He wouldn't be able to keep rapping about drugs and bitches and all that, and I couldn't see him going down the "socially conscious rapper" route.

Jay-Z is still relevant in his 40s without being socially conscious or rapping about drugs and bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I like Rhianna, she has her own unique sound. I know alot of you think she sucks, but consider this.. why do all the other rappers want to collaborate with her? Cause she is awesome. SLAM DUNK!!!!1

Briando wrote: »
    I like Rhianna, she has her own unique sound. I know alot of you think she sucks, but consider this.. why do all the other rappers want to collaborate with her? Cause she is awesome. SLAM DUNK!!!!1

She's not hip hop.
    baddebt wrote: »

What???

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

She's not hip hop.

What???

that was exactly my re-action when I read the articles

ok here goes ,

Purely my own opinion of course
    Outkast are over-rated
    Biggie only had 1 good Album
    I don't rate Ludacris at all
    Raekwon's latest Album "Shaolin Vs Wu-Tang was bitterly disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

great idea for a thread :)

Eminem was hip hops first true global star and introduced a whole generation properly to hip hop and other artists and is going to go down as the goat when he's gone for what he's achieved.

Commercial hip hop is dead and if its not, its defiantly on its last legs. Techno and pop have all but killed it thanks to your drake's, lil waynes etc.

why didn't the likes of dr dre and snoop who are multi millionaires help pay for nate doggs medical bills? real friends...i think not.

2pac murder was the biggest set up ever and micheal jackson was murdered.

great idea for a thread :)

Eminem was hip hops first true global star and introduced a whole generation properly to hip hop and other artists and is going to go down as the goat when he's gone for what he's achieved.

Commercial hip hop is dead and if its not, its defiantly on its last legs. Techno and pop have all but killed it thanks to your drake's, lil waynes etc.

why didn't the likes of dr dre and snoop who are multi millionaires help pay for nate doggs medical bills? real friends...i think not.

2pac murder was the biggest set up ever and micheal jackson was murdered.

I agree completely with most of this apart from techno playing a part in killing hip hop. I'm partial to a bit of techno and believe me it's not similar to the likes of the beats wayne and drake and nicki and all that lot are using, they use a different type of EDM, it's like that david guetta shít, he's not really techno, he's electro, very similar to the stuff you hear in todays hip hop. If you want to hear real techno listen to a song called "1010" by Boyz Noize, i can guarantee that you'll hate it but it's real techno and commercial hip hop wasnt affected by the likes of it.

I agree pacs murder was a set up, not gang related like others will tell you, it had to be either government or record label related. I also agree MJ was murdered but god knows what's behind that.

• Advertisement

ok here goes ,

Purely my own opinion of course
    Outkast are over-rated
    I don't rate Ludacris at all
    Raekwon's latest Album "Shaolin Vs Wu-Tang was bitterly disappointing

Why do you find outkast overrated? :)
    Personally i like biggies ready to die and life after death, 2 very consistent albums imo.

I agree on your other points, I despise ludacris' music and Rae being one of my favourite rappers i was horribly disappointed by shaolin vs wu tang.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I hate all the crossovers and watering down of hip-hop music. Some people are just putting out dance music at this stage.

As mentioned above, the likes of Busta and Snoop have lost whatever they once had. Some rappers need to know when to step away, which is especially ironic if you ever listened to Busta's song "Legend of the Fall-Offs".

Dre owes nobody anything and if he wants to spend the next ten years working on Detox, he should.

I like Drake but can't stand Lil' Wayne.

I agree that death cemented 2Pac and Biggie's legendary status. Just looking at other rappers, their quality definitely dipped over the years.

Why do you find outkast overrated? :)
    Personally i like biggies ready to die and life after death, 2 very consistent albums imo.

I agree on your other points, I despise ludacris' music and Rae being one of my favourite rappers i was horribly disappointed by shaolin vs wu tang.

Ready to die is a great album ,
    just don't have Life after death in the same bracket really ,
    could never just get into outkast past or present , just never enjoyed their ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

+1 on outkast, I cant call them over-rated as I didn't listen too much of them but i do find them hard to get into I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Makaveli wrote: »
    Jay-Z is still relevant in his 40s without being socially conscious or rapping about drugs and bitches.

He is one of the few.

I actually just realised there that Jigga was 2 and a half years older than Biggie. I always had it in my head that Biggie was almost like an older brother to Jay. I never knew that he was so much younger than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Best rap group is a toss up between Wu Tang and Outkast.

Also, I've always been on Nas' side as opposed to Jay'Z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

At one point in his career Busta was one of the best rappers on the planet.

Agreed!

Outkast and B.I.G. are overrated

Ludacris and Method Man are underrated

Lil' Wayne could have been one of the greatest, but he riggidy-wrecked himself :p

I thought Ice Cube's Raw Footage was a poor album, a lot of my mates disagree.

Rap's collabos with Rock elevated it in the 80's/90's (Run DMC/ Aerosmith, nu-metal) but the collabos in the last 5-10 years with Pop/Dance have ruined it.

I worry Eminem is finished. The hunger may be gone and I'd hate to see him become a joke figure (Snoop anyone?), like someone the old Em would have destroyed on a track. :(

My two cents anyway! Good to get that off my chest! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Most famous rap samples were already used by other rappers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

House of Pain's first album is a classic.

Live hip-hop is generally terrible-I've gone to just about every gig by American artists in Dublin over the last 15 years and I'd say about 5 of those were genuinely great concerts. The rest always have poor sound and shouting mc's doing lame crowd participation "Wave your hands in the air like you just don't care" etc.

Late 90s Puff Daddy, Ma$e, Biggie etc is great commercial pop music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

While I disagree with you on this one (I love both albums), a 50% record on good albums isn't that bad in hip-hop!

I agree to an extent that he wouldn't be as highly regarded if he was still alive today as he would have probably put out some bad albums/tracks. That's the case with almost any artist who died young, though. Look at Nirvana or Hendrix. Great acts who weren't around long enough to dirty their bib.

Advertisement