Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular hip hop opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

floggg wrote: »
    Yea, I have. Habits and contradictions was a good album but not great. It was weaker than Ab-Soul's Control Theory and not a patch on Section.80.

He's good and I like him, but there's way better out there. And Kendrick outshines him on every track they are on together.

that was way back in January though, im on about right now at this present moment... Ab soul's control theory imo is the worst album to come out of the black hippy camp so far tbh even jay rocks was a bit of a let down too.

agree with lamar outshining him but in all the 2 of them are a great combo, have made some excellent songs together but like I said at this present moment I think Q has the edge, his delivery is top drawer and he's recently killed both 50 and banks on there mixtape songs.

@TheComeup... on gibbs , iv just gone lazy with him. Use to be a huge fan and still am of his older stuff like national anthem or ghetto but since he moved to young jeezys label iv after slacking with him big time. I heard one or two songs with jeezy and that was it for me, jeezys horrible and imo it isnt a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

RZA > Dr Dre.

After recent light of dre's production technique I.e he has an actual production team I have to agree. But....

J Dilla > RZA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

@TheComeup... on gibbs , iv just gone lazy with him. Use to be a huge fan and still am of his older stuff like national anthem or ghetto but since he moved to young jeezys label iv after slacking with him big time. I heard one or two songs with jeezy and that was it for me, jeezys horrible and imo it isnt a good move.

Ignore his stuff with Jeezy and listen to his work with Madlib. It's brilliant. Also that song with Domo is great as well.

After recent light of dre's production technique I.e he has an actual production team I have to agree. But....

If you think about it what Dre is doing is very similar to what Dj Khaled does.

Gimme this beat, let me do this, this and this to it, give it to this person over here and then slap my name all over their album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Yea, I have. Habits and contradictions was a good album but not great. It was weaker than Ab-Soul's Control Theory and not a patch on Section.80.

He's good and I like him, but there's way better out there. And Kendrick outshines him on every track they are on together.

that was way back in January though, im on about right now at this present moment... Ab soul's control theory imo is the worst album to come out of the black hippy camp so far tbh even jay rocks was a bit of a let down too.

agree with lamar outshining him but in all the 2 of them are a great combo, have made some excellent songs together but like I said at this present moment I think Q has the edge, his delivery is top drawer and he's recently killed both 50 and banks on there mixtape songs.

Given your views on Ab-Soul's album, we clearly have different tastes. I thought Control System was much better than Habits and Contradictions (which was still a good album)!

I haven't heard either of the 50 Cent or Banks songs but if killing two now more or less washed up rappers who weren't exactly Top 5 material even at their peak on a song (on a mixtape no less) is an indicator of "hotness" then I can only conclude he's just above room temperature!

Again, I like him (hands on the wheel is one of the best songs this year) but he's not spectacular.

Kendrick is probably the most promising rapper out there at the minute. He has a unique style and delivery, makes good music and has something to say other than the usual rap cliches.

Looking forward to his album and also to a Black Hippy album sometime too. They are the most talented group out at the minute (think they have more originality and substance than Slaughterhouse) - though I think Jay Rock seems the weakest out the crew.

Another opinion that I know will be controversial - Cam'ron's verse on The Clipse's "Popular Demand" was dope as ****!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

J Dilla > RZA

Dilla > everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Dre deserves the respect he gets.
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    If you think about it what Dre is doing is very similar to what Dj Khaled does.

Gimme this beat, let me do this, this and this to it, give it to this person over here and then slap my name all over their album.

No it is not.

Dre only gets prod credit on songs he produced and he "slaps his name" only on his artists, you know the ones he signs then mentors and blows up. He makes beats, produces and his a record exec (essentially) and all 3 of those are different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think Dre definitely deserves respect, and I don't think that he's like some kinda "fake" producer or something like that, but I definitely prefer RZA as a producer.

Given your views on Ab-Soul's album, we clearly have different tastes. I thought Control System was much better than Habits and Contradictions (which was still a good album)!

I cant even call control system good, its just not my cup of tea at all but dont get me wrong i still like ab soul and some of his work prior to the album.
    I haven't heard either of the 50 Cent or Banks songs but if killing two now more or less washed up rappers who weren't exactly Top 5 material even at their peak on a song (on a mixtape no less) is an indicator of "hotness" then I can only conclude he's just above room temperature!

well i dont think you can call them washed up, you just dont pay attention to their music if you did you'd relies their far from washed up especcally 50 the man had mixtape songs making the billboard chart a few months back. I hope your aware section 80 was released as a mixtape first? please do not underestimate the mixtape scene, many a buzz and career has been built in recent years via mixtapes.
    Again, I like him (hands on the wheel is one of the best songs this year) but he's not spectacular.

Behind KL he's the best out of black hippy and tbh the whole of LA in terms of new talent imo.
    Kendrick is probably the most promising rapper out there at the minute. He has a unique style and delivery, makes good music and has something to say other than the usual rap cliches.

Iv been listening to black hippy and kendrick for years now, I was one of the first here to start talking about him before the section 80 buzz. Id agree with the above but all im saying is at this very moment Q has the edge over him in terms of the material that both have released in recent weeks/months. Im not for 1 minute saying Q is better than lamar overall because he's not, lamar is probably my favorite rapper and has been for a while now tbh and is a lot better than Q.
    Looking forward to his album and also to a Black Hippy album sometime too. They are the most talented group out at the minute (think they have more originality and substance than Slaughterhouse) - though I think Jay Rock seems the weakest out the crew.

Id agree and after KL's album i expect a black hippy album to follow his buzz. I havnt got excited this much about a group since g unit (you might not like them, I did), I like slaughterhouse a lot but they just dont appeal to me as much as previous groups in saying that im liking what iv heard so far from their new album.

Hard to believe jay rock was the original frontman of black hippy, lamar just stole the spotlight from him and rightfully so. I like jay rock tbh i think ab soul is but like you said difference of opinions.
    Another opinion that I know will be controversial - Cam'ron's verse on The Clipse's "Popular Demand" was dope as ****!

ah man would you belive that is one of my most hated verses/features of all time, im sorry i think he was just terrible on it and nearly ruined the whole song!. Now cam is what you'd call a washed up rapper and this is coming from a big dipset fan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dre deserves the respect he gets.

No it is not.

Dre only gets prod credit on songs he produced and he "slaps his name" only on his artists, you know the ones he signs then mentors and blows up. He makes beats, produces and his a record exec (essentially) and all 3 of those are different things.

There have been a lot of ex-employees of Dre who have either straight out said that dre just put his name on their beats or at least hinted at it.

I don't care how Section.80 started, it was a great album.

The word mixtape has lost all meaning these days tho. A lot of mixtapes are really free albums these days, especially from new artists trying to build a buzz.

I wouldn't really care how 50 Cent or Banks released a project - unless they actually came with something new or original I wouldn't care.

Get Rich or Die Trying was great, but ever since he's just regurgitating the same formula and rehashing the same topics.

His hasn't released anything fresh or exciting since the documentary. So yea, he's pretty washed up to me.

And bar Beamer, Benz or Bentley what exactly has Lloyd Banks done in the last 5 or 6 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

And bar Beamer, Benz or Bentley what exactly has Lloyd Banks done in the last 5 or 6 years?

He lost one of his albums after having a threesome a few years back. For that I will forever hold him in the highest regard.
    There's truth to that rumor. That comes from me doing too much. I was just lost in my ways, ****ed two women at one time. It's the little things you don't pay attention to. I had the CD in an actual [DJ] Whoo Kid mixtape cover. It was just a blank CD with just tracks. I got over 70, 80 tracks, so you can't get them all on one CD. So I might have had 14 tracks of the last two weeks or something like that.

Next thing I know, can't find the CD. I'm assuming it had to be from one of those situations when you got too much going on around you. Maybe I'mma just stick to one girl from now on. That's the only explanation that makes sense. Sticky fingers.

Stick to one girl? I'm lucky if I manage to even get one girl never mind having to settle for ONLY one.

The 'sticky fingers' quote at the end is priceless as well.

I don't care how Section.80 started, it was a great album.

The word mixtape has lost all meaning these days tho. A lot of mixtapes are really free albums these days, especially from new artists trying to build a buzz.

I wouldn't really care how 50 Cent or Banks released a project - unless they actually came with something new or original I wouldn't care.

Get Rich or Die Trying was great, but ever since he's just regurgitating the same formula and rehashing the same topics.

His hasn't released anything fresh or exciting since the documentary. So yea, he's pretty washed up to me.

Yes we all know it was a great album but none the less it was originally a mixtape and artists are getting big money deals via the mixtape scene in which 50 cent made the formula for back in the early 00s I.e song format the result was a 1 million dollar aftermath deal through the buzz he created with them, j cole , krit, Lamar, yelawolf etc erc all followed suit and built their buzz via mixtapes.

Tell me what gangsta rapper doesn't have repetitive lryics ? They all do, there's only so much they can really rap about without Staying true to that genre. They don't have much room to manuvure in terms of creativity but Id agree 50 does need to find some new substance hopefully this street king venture could assist him.

Lloyd banks is an Indie artist man who is arguably one of the best mixtape artists around. Like I said if you payed attention to his music you'd know this but your clearly not a fan. He released HFM2 which was pretty good, The original hunger for more album his debut is a great album but in fairness rotten apple was bad but as you know you can't get it right every time.

Kanye west called banks the most under rated mc in hip hop aswell as saying hes in the top 5 last year. He was nearly on MBDTF but instead featured on one of the good Friday tracks. He's still only 27 or something, his first 2 albums he was only a kid at 19 and early 20s.

The term washed up is fairly strong , nas didn't realise a good album in 10 years before life was good , would you deem him washed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Prefuse 73 is more talented than any the big name hip hop producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Nicki Minaj is not that bad.

Like, I wouldnt be bothered downloading her stuff to the iPod or anything, but I wouldnt run to turn off the radio the same way I would for most of the charting rappers these days (Flo Rida, new Nelly stuff., Professor Green.....Andre 3000 :)). Most of todays chart rap is completely unlistenable.

Like, I wouldnt be bothered downloading her stuff to the iPod or anything, but I wouldnt run to turn off the radio the same way I would for most of the charting rappers these days (Flo Rida, new Nelly stuff., Professor Green.....Andre 3000 :)). Most of todays chart rap is completely unlistenable.

When is the last time Nelly made it into the charts over here? Or Andre 3000?

When is the last time Nelly made it into the charts over here? Or Andre 3000?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW1W34A-n4I

Until very recently this rubbish was on ad nauseaum chart countdowns on radio here. Drove me fcuking mental.

Some looking poon in the vid mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This is what's wrong with the world. People trashing genuinely talented musicians like Andre 3000, and then saying that hacks like Nicki Minaj are "not that bad". Sorry, but she is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

This is what's wrong with the world. People trashing genuinely talented musicians like Andre 3000, and then saying that hacks like Nicki Minaj are "not that bad". Sorry, but she is that bad.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't even trying to fish with the Andre reference so obvious was it, but this is one of the biggest bites I've ever seen :eek:

• Advertisement

Speaking of biting the bait and all that, what's with the bucket loads of p*ss taking posters here on the forum in recent months?

Please define to me how one of her chart hits has less artistic merit than cheese like, for example, Hey Ya. It is the same basic hip hop pop ballpark.

I probably should not say he is untalented. He can be if he wants to be. He proved that on the first album. But personally I am of the opinion that pretty much everything he has done since then is fcuking atrocious, and his constant critical acclaim is nothing short of baffling- it is actually impossible for the guy to get a bad review. I think part of the infallibility factor comes from his reputation as one of the more quirky left of field characters in hip hop- if the likes of Jay Z or Nas put out material with the same lyrics and production as he has in the last decade they would be rightly mauled for it. His lyrics are childish, and his attempts at r
    &b singing are like something from the early rounds of a Simon Cowell audition.

But because he dresses like Russell Brand and does not do the whole gangster thing it makes him more avant garde and unique in the eyes of the press. I just wish one reviewer would shout it out and say it straight, that he is sh1t, and so are the handful of Atlanta acts clearly influenced by him (Cee Lo Green and one or two others). If people want to put their head in the sand and pretend that what they are listening to by him actually is better than Chingy and J Kwon because he is a dappy dresser and doesnt go around claiming he used to be a murderous drug lord, that is their perogative.

Please define to me how one of her chart hits has less artistic merit than cheese like, for example, Hey Ya. It is the same basic hip hop pop ballpark.

She cant play any instruments, Andre can.

She cant produce a track/make the beat, Andre can.

She cant sing, Andre can.

She can barely rap, Andre can, with great skill.

She cant do anything without autotune, Andre can rap and sing without autotune.

She cant play any instruments, Andre can.

Fair enough.

She cant produce a track/make the beat, Andre can.

So can Skrillex. So can quite a few other mediocre producers. Andres recent beats are largely woeful.

She cant sing, Andre can.

No, he cant.

She can barely rap, Andre can, with great skill.

"I wanna stannnkkk you"

"Shake it! Shake it like a polaroid picture!"

Genius stuff right there :pac: If you want to listen to sh1te like that and claim it is innovative or whatever its up to you.

So can Skrillex. So can quite a few other mediocre producers. Andres recent beats are largely woeful.

Bollocks to that, Skrillex is a commercial dubstep muppet, not a hip hop producer like Andre is at times, this is like comparing Tiesto and Dr Dre.
    No, he cant.

He can sing, that's a solid fact, why would he make an album based around his singing if he cant?
    "I wanna stannnkkk you"

"Shake it! Shake it like a polaroid picture!"

I said he can rap, and you pick two lines from songs he doesnt rap in at all, go off and listen to A Life in the Day of Benjamin Andre then try and tell me he cant rap.
    If you want to listen to sh1te like that and claim it is innovative or whatever its up to you.

Shíte like that? Tell me why arguably the best lyricist to come out of the past 15 years, Eminem, rates Andre among the greatest? Tell me why countless critics have raved about andre's music for the past 20 or so years. Nothing he has made is shít, like i've said, everything he does musically contains a certain amount of talent.

It's clear you're either taking the piss or just plain ignorant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Father Damo and Paddy2K11 - Can you both please accept that you have different opinions on Andre3000 and Nikki Minaj. Let's not bog this thread down any further with this back and forth.

Bollocks to that, Skrillex is a commercial dubstep muppet, not a hip hop producer like Andre is at times, this is like comparing Tiesto and Dr Dre.

In the early half of the last decade Outkast were massively commercially successful. They are hardly alternative.

He can sing, that's a solid fact, why would he make an album based around his singing if he cant?

Because it never stopped a multitude of artists that preceded and followed him. Because the music press would give an album of him blowing out the remnants of last nights kebab five stars.
    I said he can rap, and you pick two lines from songs he doesnt rap in at all, go off and listen to A Life in the Day of Benjamin Andre then try and tell me he cant rap.

He can rap. The first album was brilliant. 99% of what followed is appalingly meh.

Shíte like that? Tell me why arguably the best lyricist to come out of the past 15 years, Eminem, rates Andre among the greatest?

Good for him. This would be the same Eminem who appeared on about a half dozen albums with Bizarre from D12? (although largely talentless I have to be honest in all truth, Bizarre is one funny bastard :pac:) Everyone is entitled to their opinions but Eminem has done some questionable collabos over the years.
    Tell me why countless critics have raved about andre's music for the past 20 or so years.

Because he is a quirky vegatarian avant garde fashion icon who goes against the established norms of hip hop attitudes to guns, women, drugs and fashion. He is certainly unique, but unique does not mean great.
    Nothing he has made is shít, .

If you are denying that the likes of Prototype and Hey Ya are sh1t, I have nothing further to say :rolleyes:

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Father Damo and Paddy2K11 - Can you both please accept that you have different opinions on Andre3000 and Nikki Minaj. Let's not bog this thread down any further with this back and forth.

Fair enough.

For the record I am not even at all a fan of Minaj, as said I wouldnt be remotely arsed downloading/ looking up her stuff. I merely said that compared to Pitbull, Flo Rida, Black Eyed Peas all the current chart muppets, I would not say she is all that awful in comparison, despite the stick received.

She's not my cup of tea, and she's pop as hell but lets get one thing clear - Monster proved Nicki can rap rather well if she wants to.

It's just she'd rather make pop songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

She's not my cup of tea, and she's pop as hell but lets get one thing clear - Monster proved Nicki can rap rather well if she wants to.

It's just she'd rather make pop songs.

Really bad pop songs as well. :(

Advertisement