Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage/Marriage Equality/End of World?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

JimiTime wrote: »
    I'm actually looking for the science that shows the harm, and the particular therapies that it refers to (I'm looking at the APA report at the mo, but the studies I've tried to access thus far are blocked unless you subscribe etc). If it is shown that certain therapies are dangerous, I would not support it in a million years.

I'm curious about why you think the APA is not a reputable body, and why you think their recommendations are biased. Do you do that with every single medical treatment out there, or just the ones that go against your own prejudices?
    What about the argument that over 50 percent of new Aids cases in the US are homosexual men, and its estimated that 1 in 5 gay men in cities in the US are HIV positive. Thats around 3% of the population, contributing to over 50% of the AIDS cases. Seeing as how gay affirmation therapy is not an issue, could it not be said that this endangers the child as they have such an elevated chance of becoming HIV positive in later life? I mean, its a pretty big statistic if we are talking about the dangers for children.

And your point is what, exactly? That we should "cure" gay people because it will stop HIV? HIV/AIDS is a medical issue. Do you think HIV infection in Africa is all about homosexuality too?
    They'll still be in an infertile sexuality, and if they are Christian, they'll also be in a difficult place with regards the conflict between their desires and their God.

And here is the real problem you seem to have with homosexuality - you can't square it with your religion.

Guess what? Christian attitudes to homosexuality are just plain wrong. If you want to deny the scientific truth about human nature because you prefer it to facing up to the craziness of your religion, at least be honest about it. Pretending that you are concerned that there may be flaws in the science is just a smoke screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The issue is the voices in your head telling you what you think I 'Champion' 'advocate' and believe in general. Until you decide to stop this unadulterated, emotional pukeworthy clap trap that started with your silly 'Monster' nonsense, then I certainly wont lament the loss of your input.

Nice way of ducking every point I've made. You respond with absolutely childish outbursts and nonsense rantings, and what, you expect me to stoop to your level or forget the central argument that's running? No, I'm not going to respond to any of that. This is an extremely serious issue that we are discussing, and I think it's pathetic you can't seem to take it seriously.

And you keep calling me emotional as if there was something wrong with that. Yes, I am emotional, I know people who have been put through this kind of ordeal by their parents, so it is an emotive subject.

Seeing as you skipped over my last post, here's a problem:
    I'm actually looking for the science that shows the harm, and the particular therapies that it refers to (I'm looking at the APA report at the mo, but the studies I've tried to access thus far are blocked unless you subscribe etc). If it is shown that certain therapies are dangerous, I would not support it in a million years.

The bit I love is the "If it is shown that certain therapies are dangerous", because you pretend that by saying you wouldn't support certain therapies, or methods, that you're not still advocating for the dangerous practice of attempting to change a person's sexuality. A fine bit of weaselry, but 'tis no barn English.

You don't want to seem to recognise that what is harmful is telling a child that there is something wrong with them, that they are broken, and they have to be fixed or cured. That is the harm, and that is what is dangerous. And as long as such nonsense ideas that homosexuality can be "cured" are spread around, advocated for, and not called out for the quackery it is, there will be people who are gonna try. And no matter what 'method' or specific therapies you might say you are against, you have made it abundantly clear that you are for people attempting to change a person's sexuality or otherwise "cure" homosexuality, and doing that to children IS abuse. No matter what you cross off the list as not working, or harmful, you keep coming back to the idea that you can change people or cure them.

That utterly wrong premise is the justification for all kinds of abuses. Take this for example:

A gay California teenager killed himself after his Christian parents performed an exorcism on him in an attempt to "cure" him, and when that didn't work they kicked him out of the house.

And you still seem to go on about how there is a "political ideology" at play, yet how come religious ideology gets a free pass? especially when the only people who are advocating for bogus "reparative" therapies and cling to the idea that sexuality can be altered, changed or cured... are religious ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Anyone see the irony of the words "love builds up" in Jimi's sig? It seems he has no love for the gays. :rolleyes:

Anyone see the irony of the words "love builds up" in Jimi's sig? It seems he has no love for the gays. :rolleyes:

It should probably say "Knowledge puffs up, and puffs are of the devil!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

robindch wrote: »
    Jimi, A+A is a discussion forum which has a set of reasonably strictly-enforced rules designed to help discussions take place peacefully.

The forum is not a soapbox for certain people to parp their viewpoints endlessly -- whatever they happen to be -- especially where these viewpoints are carefully and definitively cut to shreds by other forum posters; and most especially, where the soapboxer seems to have failed to notice that their trousers and underpants are, discussion-wise, down around their ankles.

Fair enough Robin, I'll let yee continue to attack phantoms, falsely accuse and enjoy yer backslappin' love in without further intrusion.

[And there was much celebration as they dunked the witch]

Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

That has to be one of the biggest displays of "thumbing of your nose" I've ever seen. Monopolise the thread, continually asking for evidence and subsequently ignoring it. Make no attempt to engage with the topic and then exit after essentially wasting everyones time.

You probably don't even have the good manners to be embarrassed about it.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

koth wrote: »
    That has to be one of the biggest displays of "thumbing of your nose" I've ever seen. Monopolise the thread, continually asking for evidence and subsequently ignoring it. Make no attempt to engage with the topic and then exit after essentially wasting everyones time.

Pretty much what he did in the Gay megathread in t'udder forum.

It's truly pathetic, but I wouldn't consider it a waste of time, because anyone reading the thread can see Jimi's nonsense rantings and refusal to engage in discussion, and see what a pig-ignorant, bigotted pile of hogwash it is and how utterly indefensible such a position is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yep....apart from the way the mask slips every now and again, that about says it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭ButtimersLaw

The issue is the voices in your head t...

I often laugh when I hear people talking about the voices in your head. I hear voices in my head; so does everyone else. No one hears voices in their feet, or in their elbows, and you say "voices in your head" as if that's unusual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Pretty much what he did in the Gay megathread in t'udder forum.

Is it actually called the 'Gay Megathread'? I have no idea why, but to me, that sounds awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jimi heres a video for you:

Jimi if you wont watch the whole film, please watch this piece:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

So sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Fair enough Robin, I'll let yee continue to attack phantoms, falsely accuse and enjoy yer backslappin' love in without further intrusion.

Take care.

And good riddance to all that :D

I'm sure there will be another charmer along in a moment. Like The George, in fact ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Galvasean wrote: »
    Is it actually called the 'Gay Megathread'? I have no idea why, but to me, that sounds awesome.
    I think it should be called 'The Big Gay Megathread.' I don't know why, but that just sounds right.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    I think it should be called 'The Big Gay Megathread.' I don't know why, but that just sounds right.

MrP

Super Big Gay Megathread would be simply fabulous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Darling, that 'fabulous' simply has to be in italic!

I am so embarrassed - you bitch !

Fab-u-lous!
    (We all clicked our fingers, didn't we!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Ha! I just read dunked as debunked. Well, ya did that anyways......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Links234 wrote: »

Heh, there must be some truth to those stats!
    90% of heterosexual women admitted to initiating sex while under the influence of alcohol, and 30% had sex after smoking marijuana.

Ahahahaaaa
    Guilty of both. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You'll destroy our society with your hetero ways! D:

I always thought it was spelled "fabliss" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Northern Ireland's Health Minister is to "urgently appeal" a ruling by the High Court in Belfast, which found that the ban on gay and unmarried couples adopting children is unlawful.

Edwin Poots said he is "not convinced" that today's judgment is in the "best interests of some of the most vulnerable children in Northern Ireland".
    The challenge ruled on by Belfast High Court was brought by the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission, backed by an unidentified woman who wanted to be able to adopt her partner's biological child.
    She also wished to enter a civil partnership to signify their commitment.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1018/adoption-court-ruling.html

Ulster says "O Noes".....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nodin wrote: »

I presumed the most vulnerable children in NI were ones who were getting raped by priests and those raised to hate one another based on sectarian religious bull****, but heyho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Gbear wrote: »
    I presumed the most vulnerable children in NI were ones who were getting raped by priests and those raised to hate one another based on sectarian religious bull****, but heyho.

Indeed. But if there's one issue that's bound to unite the divided communities, I'll warrant it's this one. And abortion. :(

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    Indeed. But if there's one issue that's bound to unite the divided communities, I'll warrant it's this one. And abortion. :(

Isn't that two issues? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement