Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 149 Discussion **SPOILERS**

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Horrible card, nothing good on it except for the opening fight. Really disappointed with the main event, a lot of jumping around and no serious exchanges. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Anyone know what Zuffa offered Lombard per fight? Whatever it is I hope they have performance linked it cos goin on last night they've been sold a pup. Theres been a bunch of imported talent that have failed miserably on their introduction to the UFC. Some were just past it, some were out of their depth and some were just using the place to get a couple of big final pay days. If I was Dana White I'd be seriously pished at what I saw outta Lombard last night. I'd add Kongo to that too. The guy has a serious mental block that prevents him from finishing fights he should easily win. Hes always been far too happy to hang out in the clinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

In fairness to Lombard, he did show some real positives. Like his takedowns and takedown defence looked great against a big wrestler like Boetsch. And it's not as if he got dominated, far from it. It just looked like he couldn't get in past Boetsch's reach and wasn't willing 'to take one to land one'. What is Lombard, like 5'9/10? I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropdown to 170 at some stage (maybe after the Munoz fight he's after).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think Kongo was a victim of the match up. There's no doubt he was much better than Jordan but he was hesitant to stand and trade because he stood to lose a lot more in defeat than he would gain in victory. Not excusing that crappy performance, just giving a possible explanation.

Lombard was a serious flop. All that hype and he just stood there. I honestly think Boetsch was as surprised as we all were. He came in with a gameplan for dealing with a hyper-aggressive Lombard and then didn't know what to do when Lombard just watched him.

I enjoyed the main event though, was disgusted at the crowd's reaction. They were booing from the 3rd round on and chanted "boring" at the end. It wasn't the best fight in history but it was certainly solid IMO.

Riddle was great, although I had picked against him. I thought his tendency to get into brawls would go against him but he mixed it up well and the sub was a beauty. He called out Dan Hardy afterwards too.

Jayo_M wrote: »
    In fairness to Lombard, he did show some real positives. Like his takedowns and takedown defence looked great against a big wrestler like Boetsch. And it's not as if he got dominated, far from it. It just looked like he couldn't get in past Boetsch's reach and wasn't willing 'to take one to land one'. What is Lombard, like 5'9/10? I wouldn't be surprised to see him dropdown to 170 at some stage (maybe after the Munoz fight he's after).

DW said hes not getting the Munoz fight. This guy has been touting himself as an Anderson Silva slayer and he couldn't even put in a display against Boetsch. Boetsch is at least 6th in line in the MW division, hes a poor striker but powerful. If Lombard daren't even mix it with him what chance has he got higher up the division. He will have to drop to have an impact I think but Condit would be too slick for him, Ellenberger would match him for power and GSP would take him apart. I could see him beating Diaz.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

yeah Lombard was **** but I don't know what Boetsch did to win that fight.

I think Lombards reputation actually worked against him in this case. Everyone including the judges would have expected alot of aggression from him and when that didn't come and very little else of sustance did either, it was easier to favour the fighter with the lesser expectation on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Poor old Anthony Perosh. KO'd in 7 seconds. Ouch.

Very underwhelming card however I thought Renan Barao looked very impressive.

To say the Boetsch v Lombard fight was a let down is an understatement.

Kongo now has the longest amount of time in the octagon in HW history. Who'd have thought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yet another fight where the prelims proved to be more entertaining than the main card. Riddle was impressive. Going by his last 2 fights, he seems to fight a helluva lot smarter than before. I look forward to his upcoming fights.

Hector Lombard has a serious record. But after a performance like that, he deserved to have his massive 25 fight undefeated streak broken by someone who is as average Boetsch. Nothing against Biotech; the guy is tough as nails but he is somebody I could never imagine being champion of any organisation, let alone ending such a long streak.

You'd think Faber would have tried some jumping front kicks instead of holding hands in the final round.

Happens time and time again - You have to do something crazy - So what if you get sparked, you're gonna lose anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Bad main card and some bad judging also. Rosenthal in my view had a bit of an off night but didn't deserve to be at the end of the rant by Dana in his post fight press conference interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not a hope.

Tim didn't run away with it. But there was no robbery. Lombard did nothing in the entire fight to say he deserved to win the fight! Not that Tim did either, but you can't be so lacklustre in a fight and then call it a robbery when you lose.

Didn't see the undercard but just watched the Main Card. Very poor in my opinion.
    Lombard was hugely underwhelming. Everyone expected much more but he clearly win two rounds. Just because they were horrible, boring rounds, people don't mind the decision. He stood there and threw damaging punches, boesch did nothing. Lombard should of pushed for the finish in the second

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

after all the crap I was talkin about Lombard... well at least I didnt stay up to watch it... sounds like it was sheeee-ite. Have it recorded but don't think I'll bother with it now.. right so that's it - not one single credible opponent left for the Spider - that's 185 finished for me till he retires. Seems like an age since we saw GSP in the cage..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

At least I was right about Logans return being the most important thing about the night :pac:
    Plus Rachelle Leah too
    116_Octagon_Girls_gallery_post.jpg
    /gusta

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

At least I was right about Logans return being the most important thing about the night :pac:
    Plus Rachelle Leah too
    116_Octagon_Girls_gallery_post.jpg
    /gusta

She looks like she's had a boob job though...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

can't remember a card as bad as this

dont care lombard lost at all
    he could surely have been a little bit more agressive than that though.
    i couldnt call it but thought lombard might just have sneaked it

the faber fight result couldve been called after round one

couldnt call the ebersole fight either but that was
    painful to watch
    ebersole a difficult match up for anyone

didnt see the prelims sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Logan and Brittney. Mmmmmmmmmmm

Arrianny's tits looked very fake on her Playboy shoot.

I'd still have to be dug out of her though.

Advertisement