Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HeartBreak.What/Who were your comforts to get you through

Options
  • 13-07-2012 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Just wandering,

Everyones gone through it at some stage or another,

so i was wandering what other peoples comforts or remedies helped them bring happiness around again :)??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

For me it was lot of Crying, Listening to lots of motivational upbeat songs (mainly punk music), keeping busy and getting into somethings that I always wanted to do but just never got off my arse and did. Girls night outs and girls nights in. Even getting into fitness and giving yourself a new haircut etc.

I did things that helped me feel good but stayed away from the stereotypical lying in bed, eating tubs of Ben&Jerrys, listening to sad songs etc. I made sure to get social and not lock myself away from the world.

Heart break is horrible and at times it hurts more than physical pain but you can get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Talking and crying about it ad nauseum with my dear friends and family who were kind and supportive enough to listen to me :o I think with heartbreak it is best to let it all out rather than internalise it though. That and red wine helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Lots of red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

alcohol, cigs and old songs until needed......followed by nights out, exercise, shopping and planning a nice trip or further in education

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

no i dont believe in heartbreaks that said though i never had any as all the ex boyfs i had were the bottom of the barell,hence why i never grieve any of them never have...i realised recently through the help of a matchmaker that my standards definately need to change..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

no i dont believe in heartbreaks.

It's great that you've never had to go through heartbreak, but believe me it does exist and it's something I hope I never have to do again.

As for getting over it OP- no wallowing. Absolutely none!
    Put all your energy into being the best person you can be. Get fit, study, spend time with your best friends and family, basically anything that makes you feel good.
    Oh and did I say no wallowing? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I went on lots of holidays, threw myself into work and started running.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moaning, feeling sorry for myself and the world, trying to figure out why, strong drink, too many nights of "oh god what/who did I do last night", sad songs, happy songs, good movies and mates, good mates. Oh and time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Mc Kenzie wrote: »
    Just wandering,

Everyones gone through it at some stage or another,

so i was wandering what other peoples comforts or remedies helped them bring happiness around again :)??

When you begin a new relationship your life begins to include this person more and more in it. So when the relationship ends most people have almost forgotten what it was they were doing before they were before they met their ex, so when it ends it's a shock to the system.

Before you enter a relationship you had a routine of things you did to fill your time, it's the transition back to all that is the difficult part. Time is the healer here, and friends and family.

regress wrote: »
    Lots of red wine.

And a little of this too, but do it with friends, not by yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I discovered tequila... Lots of crying, started a new job which took up some time and brain space, and listened to a ridiculous amount of Fleetwood Mac...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Heartbreak is an awful thing. My last partner left me after 4yrs for someone she knew 6 weeks. I cried, drank, lost 3stone and became very bitter and angry. Then i went to personal therapy and learned to see the situation in a different way and forgave her almost instantly. Best thing I ever did. Sometimes you cant see past yor own feelings to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've never had the heartbreak of a broken relationship but other types of heartbreak.

Exercise, avoiding triggers, talking and talking and talking and just being generally kind to myself helped as did throwing myself into work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

You guys are no fun, I build a shrine and then burn it followed bye lots of 80s love songs a corner and of course kleenx the stuff with alo vera because it doesn't dry my skin... :pac:

Call me crazy but you never get over your X gas or bfs its just gets easier to deal with... Eventually you forget about them its like a distant gray memory...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Different methods depending on the break up.

Last break up involved a lot of crying and changing my looks. Also took up walking and made a lot of horrifically inappropriate jokes that made people uncomfortable, Chandler style.

First break up, lots of alcohol, a bit of smoking (I NEVER smoke) and generally acting like a prize moron.

I'm not lucky enough to have any close girl friends and my guy friends are crap with heartbreak so tbh I don't have anyone to pour it all out to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Simple answer; time.

Fill the void like everyone suggested already is pretty bang on too but tbh time is the only cure for it imo.

Best 10,000th post evar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Friday night: my best friend putting his arm around me and holding my hand and laughing at the film with me. Not because I was totally heartbroken, just because he thought I needed it.

What a total sweetheart. :D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Planning my weekends months in advance. Lots of phone calls with my friends and family. Lots of girls nights out. PLenty of crying but only in the shower. I wasn't letting myself cry all day. Chocolate and white wine galore.

Angry, "girl power" type music :D

A vast array of flings with unsuitable men. A large number of mistakes to distract myself.
    Blocking both my ex and his ho on facebook so I wouldn't be tempted to cyber stalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

Going it through it right now, it sucks. A good cry does help and some good friends willing to listen. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

-ranting at the world
    -crying until I threw up
    - smoking
    - listening to Damian Rice 'accidental babies' until I cried so much I couldn't see
    - lots of tortured scribbling in my diary
    - listening to alanis morrisettes 'at that particular time'
    - later it involved nights out and daft flings with unsuitable boys who I adored but would never want to take things further with.

Mostly it was time and allowing myself to grieve instead of tellin myself that I shouldn't feel a certain way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

- Jack Daniels
    - Tobacco
    - Johnny Cash
    - Sing along

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Pouring my heart out to friends and family helped; keeping it all in would have led to my brain exploding.

Unsurprisingly, going to a wedding two days later did not help whatsoever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Caribbean Cat

Running!And lots of it!
    I hit the gym big style just to keep my mind occupied, lost 3 stone in the process and got a body I never thought possible.It was certainly worth it to see the look on his face when he saw me again:cool:
    I also did the wine/crying/talking/unsuitable boys thing...I think it's the process....but time is the only thing that will heal, unfortunately,because I'm still not over the git:(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pinkpigs

Lots of red wine, shopping, nights out with the girls, wine and I think some more shopping for some more shoes. Then getting a plan together to get on with living the rest of my life!

P.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

What I actually did is not what I would advise (drinking too much, bottling it all up and talking to nobody about it, sitting in listening to horrifically sad music, not eating and losing a shed load of weight, playing back a voice message on phone repeatedly, reading old emails from them, keeping in contact with them) but I'm ready for it now if it happens again.

I finally did cop on after about 5 months and got my hair chopped (apparently that's the number 1 thing for a woman to do when she's dumped), left big, scary, lonely, London and went travelling on my own for a year and cut the contact. I think the best thing to do is to make some very positive, dramatic change in your life, like give up smoking or start running or start a new hobby. Do something that makes you proud of yourself and gives you reason to like yourself again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Crying, one day allowed to just cry them out of your system.
    New hair.
    Hook up with somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I cried for about five days solid.

No lie. Sat in my apartment, alone, and bawled my fucking eyes out. Didn't sleep, didn't eat. Nothing. Just cried. 24/7.

Every now and then, in those few days, I'd ring a friend, and bawl down the phone to them. They'd listen to me rant and cry, and insist on coming over, I'd tell them not a chance in hell. Was in no fit state to face anyone.

In time, nail varnish helped. So did cooking. So did work. Anytime that involved time and effort and focus.

Proper heartbreak is not something you get over. It's something that will always hurt, but you eventually get round to accepting it and living with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Time. It's a cliche, but like most cliches, it's a cliche because it's true.

But while you're waiting for time to do its thing: alcohol. I don't care how politically incorrect it is to say it; I'm a firm believer in drowning your sorrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Time. It's a cliche, but like most cliches, it's a cliche because it's true.

But while you're waiting for time to do its thing: alcohol. I don't care how politically incorrect it is to say it; I'm a firm believer in drowning your sorrows.

It does help at that time of drinking but the downer the next day is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Accepting it's over is the main thing. Then surround yourself with people who make you feel good. Do things you could never do while in the relationship. Learn to enjoy your own company and learn to be happy in your skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Talking to the most supportive people in your life

Remembering the worst part about the relationship/them

Minimising contact as much as possible

Doing new things that don't remind you of them

Focusing on what you stand to gain from the break up

And then in some moments none of that really helps and you just have to remember a day will come when it will. It's really an appalling almost unbearable pain but you survive it and it becomes like a bruise.

Advertisement