Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man City to play Limerick FC at Thomond Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    I remember seeing Jason Sherlock playing for Shamrock Rovers v Limerick FC in their home ground at Rathbane around 1998 getting subjected to 90 minutes of sustained and disgraceful racial abuse by the inbred scum of Limerick from beneath a cloud of hash smoke with no attempt made by the club to act in any way.

- Haven't been back to a Limerick match since and certainly wouldn't bring a child to one as long as that filth are still going, even though they are obviously a minority, I didn't like the clubs ignorance and apathy either......

To be fair to the regular match goers at Jackman Park, that kind of thing does not go on. I would not be die hard Limerick supporter but I do get to maybe every second or third home game each season and have not seen what you describe and I certainly have not seen or heard the kind of shyte that was being bleated out by a minority at last night's game.

Would suggest that last night's scummers are not regular match goers to any sport, and I would suggest that the scummers you witnessed at Rathbane were the types that probably climbed the wall to get in.

I was happy enough to bring my nephew to Jackman Park this year when he came over to Ireland for a little bit, and I would not have done so if I thought he would have gotten a free show from scummers. He was bemused at Jackman Park though as the season just gone was his first season as a regular match goer back home tagging along with either his father or I to Anfield and to a few away games, so to his young mind all football grounds are of the standard he is used to in England. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

There was no disparaging remarks to be heard from where I was sitting. For someone who has no idea about football even I enjoyed it. Was the goalie who got stretchered off ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Kess73 wrote: »
    Latest on the BBC about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19148397

English, French, and German media have all reported on the banana throwing, but local media seems to be staying fairly quiet in their usual head in the sand manner. Would be much better if the local media highlighted it, pointed out that it was done by a tiny minority, and said something along the lines of how anyone with information should contact the Gardai.

Don't worry, they'll be all over it like a rash. Irish media love to try and portray everything in Limerick as negative.

liammur wrote: »
    Don't worry, they'll be all over it like a rash. Irish media love to try and portray everything in Limerick as negative.

I meant local as in the Limerick media that sticks it's head in the ground.

I meant local as in the Limerick media that sticks it's head in the ground.

Ok, well to tell you the truth I think our local media is shockingly poor. I contacted the L Leader a number of years back to do a piece about how Limerick was getting no jobs. Needless to say, never heard back.
    And that chap on live95fm that does the phone-in, his voice is enough to switch off for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Well done to all in Limerick. I travelled from Waterford with my family (2 girls age 6 &8) and they loved the match. It was great value-- 4 tickets at 10 euro each to see the Premier league champions. Stayed overnight, walked back from the stadium to the city center, no problems.

Hope it is a yearly event as Thomond is a great venue.

Again well done.

liammur wrote: »
    Ok, well to tell you the truth I think our local media is shockingly poor. I contacted the L Leader a number of years back to do a piece about how Limerick was getting no jobs. Needless to say, never heard back.
    And that chap on live95fm that does the phone-in, his voice is enough to switch off for good.

I agree that the "local" media is shockingly poor and very very low quality, but I think that last night's incident is exactly the kind of thing that local media should be all over in order to put forward how disgusting that kind of behaviour is, and also to possibly aid in the scummers being caught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

I think the limerick leader is a great little paper.

I agree that the "local" media is shockingly poor and very very low quality, but I think that last night's incident is exactly the kind of thing that local media should be all over in order to put forward how disgusting that kind of behaviour is, and also to possibly aid in the scummers being caught.

I agree, but I bet it will be on the radio tomorrow on that joe duffy type phone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Eh - it's the top story on both the Limerick Leader and 95fm websites...............

• Advertisement

tommy249 wrote: »
    Eh - it's the top story on both the Limerick Leader and 95fm websites...............

Long after it was a headline piece in Britain, France, and Germany. Would you not think that local news should be reported first on the local formats rather than being able to read about it since last night on the BBC site and being able to hear about on 90elf (a German station)?

It only became the top story on Live95FM in the last two hours or so because it was not on their site before that, likewise the Leader.

But better late than not at all, and with luck it will help get those involved caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I was hugely disappointed to hear about the racist incident(s) this morning - once again Limerick has it's name dragged through the mud by a tiny minority of total scum.

Really don't know what can be said/done at this stage....have lived in Limerick for almost 15 years and this kind of thing (ie. a minority of moron-scum ruining the city and the quality of life in it) seems to happen on a frequency that you just don't see in the likes of Cork, Galway etc.

Anyway, would be nice if the culprits are found & publicly shamed (I know it won't change them or make them see the light but might make everyone else fell a tiny bit better) and hopefully the mayor or someone of similar stature can make some kind of apology/gesture to the player involved :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That is very true, but the two things that people in all the other countries that the story is being circulated in will see is Racism and Limerick.

Some people in England, France, Germany or wherever may never have heard of Limerick before, but in the future if they ever hear the name Limerick again they may associate the name with racism thanks to a few ignorant scummers who are in no way a true reflection on the majority of people in Limerick.

Like it or not mud sticks. Which is why I would love to see an example made of anyone found guilty, and let everyone know who they are. They thought they were big funny men with their racist gesture, well let them be the same big men and take whatever punishment the courts can throw at them along with whatever the media wants to throw at them.

Yep...this was the second lead story on the Guardian Football website this morning so basically anyone with an interest in non-tabloid football journalism will be making that association right now.

Really can't describe adequately how p1ssed off I am about this whole thing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

was at the game last night.

really enjoyed the first half, second half was crap. limerick were useless, i'd love to see the possession stats.

re: the incident, I didn't see it but my mate said it to me and I thought he was joking.

there was some amount of scum at the game, may who probably don't give two ****s about soccer.

there was a group of absolute idiots behind me, who kept shouting the most regressed comments that they thought were hilarious.

evry time lescott got the ball the circus master of the group in his limerick twang would shout ''lescott with your big fat forehead''.

and ''where's kettleneck tevez'' was another one.

his comrades thought he was the funniest person in the world, they were adamant ''lescott's gonna climb over the barrier and dig the brains off you i swear''.

and of course every one of them was an expert on soccer as well.:rolleyes: probably never kicked a ****ing ball in their lives.

the banana incident is disgusting, I'm a limerick native and it seems to be 90% of people are doing the best to improve the place and then 10% of arseholes just can't move past their regressed and uneducated ideology. a lot of it is product of environment, the people doing this **** live in shit estates and have shit lives and have little to no education. I don't expect any other team to come back here again though.

The pieces of text that are italicised in bold, are prejudiced and contain no fact. It is opinion and conjecture.

The underlined segments of text - I will accept - are your personal reviews of the game that took place.

I am unhappy that your post has allowed to remain "up" for so long. I am saddened that a moderator has not seen it fit to remove or edit your comment.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1989/en/act/pub/0019/print.html

By the way; could you tell us all in which percentile, you described, do you see yourself in?

Many thanks in advance
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

Jofspring wrote: »
    I was told that the lads that do it were remove about ten minutes after doing it and handed all information handed over to the gardai. They have been banned from thomond park and limerick games for life and now it's up to the gardai whether they bring it further which they should.

I hope that's true and that the gardai have or can get enough evidence to prosecute these people, there's no place for in society in general and in sport in particular. I hope Thomond Park have some video evidence of the incident to back up any evidence given by stewards or other supporters that witnessed the incident.
    It has been reported in the French media as well today as the player who had the banana thrown at him, Clichy, tweeted about it.

In England you see people who make racist gestures and remarks at football grounds getting charged by the police, as well as being named and shamed. I hope the idiot/idiots involved have the same happen to them here in Ireland.

My thought exactly, there's only one way to deal with this sort of unsavory incidents and thats prosecute the offenders.
    Itsdacraic wrote: »
    It's always a tiny minority in soccer

It's always a tiny minority. Full stop. But it's up to the majority to make the minority uncomfortable and to conform.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I rang Henry Street today and told them what I saw. They seem very eager to hear from other people at the game. There was plenty of CCTV and TV footage on the night so it's just a matter of narrowing down the section.

If anyone saw where the bananas were thrown from, I'd urge you to call Henry Street on 061-212400. Ask for someone dealing with the investigation.

When the bananas hit the ground they didnt really bounce of skim off the surface so they were thown from somewhere close to where they landed.

Did anyone actually see where they came from?

Edit: Just reading the posts above...I though they removed them last night too because the fans in the area were signing "cheerio" a few mins into the second half. However, Live 95 seemed to state that they were still investiating the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

The pieces of text that are italicised in bold, are prejudiced and contain no fact. It is opinion and conjecture.

The underlined segments of text - I will accept - are your personal reviews of the game that took place.

I am unhappy that your post has allowed to remain "up" for so long. I am saddened that a moderator has not seen it fit to remove or edit your comment.

By the way; could you tell us all in which percentile, you described, do you see yourself in?

Many thanks in advance
    Brian

Brian the lad was only explaining his opinion, there was alot of scumbags there last night as almost everyone else here has said aswell.
    What exactly is your problem with his comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Many thanks in advance
    Brian

The incitement to hatred act only applies on grounds of race, religion, nationality, or sexual orientation. Calling disgusting bigots scum is not illegal. People deliberately going out of their way to cause offence and disgrace our city deserve to be called a lot worse. As someone who was at the match, he's correct in his analysis. It was a brilliant event, that was overshadowed by the actions of a few idiots. There's a lumpen in Limerick that regularly shame us, and we need to stand up to them and let them know this behaviour will not be tolerated.

I see RTE have it up on their text in the news and sports section. Strange they hadn't a mention of the game up until this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Jofspring

really enjoyed the first half, second half was crap. limerick were useless, i'd love to see the possession stats.

Irish amateur first division team in being useless against Premier League champions and multimillion euro football club shocker. :rolleyes:

Don't forget Limerick also made 13 changes in the second half finishing with a team that averaged probably close to the age of 19.

There was a meeting on in Thomond Park yesterday afternoon regards the incident. Hopefully the person is named and shamed. From what I believe they think they have pin pointed the person but I would suggest we leave it at that for now till the full investigation goes through.

I feel bad for Pat O Sullivan myself, he has come in and backed soccer in this city and is trying to do what he can, then some idiots decide to show up and pull a stunt like the one they did.

I have only once ever experienced racism at a Limerick match in the past and it was in Hogan park about 7 or 8 years ago. Someone in the stand there made a racist comment towards a Galway United player but was told very quickly were to go by the rest of the crowd in the stand. That was the first and last time I experienced it. This sadly also has been heard at GAA matches in this country to Jason Sherlock and most recently a Wexford GAA player. It's usually the same idiots who show up to games (in whatever code) once in a blue moon thinking they are big funny men and cause problems for all the regulars. The same type of scum turned up when we played Shamrock Rovers in Hogan Park causing nothing but trouble, not even attending the game but looking to start fights outside after it because they wanted to look hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Jofspring wrote: »
    Irish amateur first division team in being useless against Premier League champions and multimillion euro football club shocker. :rolleyes:

Don't forget Limerick also made 13 changes in the second half finishing with a team that averaged probably close to the age of 19.

There was a meeting on in Thomond Park yesterday afternoon regards the incident. Hopefully the person is named and shamed. From what I believe they think they have pin pointed the person but I would suggest we leave it at that for now till the full investigation goes through.

I feel bad for Pat O Sullivan myself, he has come in and backed soccer in this city and is trying to do what he can, then some idiots decide to show up and pull a stunt like the one they did.

I have only once ever experienced racism at a Limerick match in the past and it was in Hogan park about 7 or 8 years ago. Someone in the stand there made a racist comment towards a Galway United player but was told very quickly were to go by the rest of the crowd in the stand. That was the first and last time I experienced it. This sadly also has been heard at GAA matches in this country to Jason Sherlock and most recently a Wexford GAA player. It's usually the same idiots who show up to games (in whatever code) once in a blue moon thinking they are big funny men and cause problems for all the regulars. The same type of scum turned up when we played Shamrock Rovers in Hogan Park causing nothing but trouble, not even attending the game but looking to start fights outside after it because they wanted to look hard.

Are the Limerick lads semi-pro or totally amateur?

TBH, the team that finished looked better to me than the team that started (except maybe the 4 who came on for 5) but then again I know nothing about football - maybe that's because they conceded fewer goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Most the players would be amateur with maybe a handful of semi-pro and maybe two pros. Ya Guthrie came on for Purcell at the back. Was delighted to see Purcell come off to be honest, last thing we need is him injured.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I thought it was a great result for Limerick. Apart from Nasri (who didn't seem to really care to be there), Mancini left all his stars on until at least the hour mark.

Limerick made a raft of substitutions thoughout the game and they were punished for a few individual mistakes. Losing 4-0 to the Premier League champions...no disgrace there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I thought it was a great result for Limerick. Apart from Nasri (who didn't seem to really care to be there), Mancini left all his stars on until at least the hour mark.

Limerick made a raft of substitutions thoughout the game and they were punished for a few individual mistakes. Losing 4-0 to the Premier League champions...no disgrace there.

Indeed. Sure didn't they beat United 6-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I remember seeing Jason Sherlock playing for Shamrock Rovers v Limerick FC in their home ground at Rathbane around 1998 getting subjected to 90 minutes of sustained and disgraceful racial abuse by the inbred scum of Limerick from beneath a cloud of hash smoke with no attempt made by the club to act in any way.

- Haven't been back to a Limerick match since and certainly wouldn't bring a child to one as long as that filth are still going, even though they are obviously a minority, I didn't like the clubs ignorance and apathy either......

That was the 2nd leg of the Play off against UCD, I remember the abuse he got that day, it was embarrassing but he got the last laugh, he pretty much tore us apart and UCD went up. Ray o 'Halloran scored a cracker at the shed end that day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

From the Irish Times
    GARDAÍ ARE trying to identify a spectator alleged to have thrown a banana on to the pitch in an alleged racist incident at a match in Thomond Park, Limerick.

Manchester City defender Gaël Clichy mentioned the incident on Twitter after Sunday’s friendly match, which gave his club a 4-0 victory against Limerick FC.

“How sad to see bananas thrown on the pitch tonight . . . Knowing people around the world need food. #nowordsforthis,” the French international player said.

Gardaí said no complaint had been made to them about the incident.

We’ve secured CCTV footage but we don’t have any complaint. Without a complaint there is no investigation,” Chief Supt David Sheahan of Limerick’s Henry Street Garda station said yesterday.

So, the gardai cant seem to take this any further without a complaint. :eek:

phog wrote: »
    From the Irish Times

So, the gardai cant seem to take this any further without a complaint. :eek:

And I suppose in order to make a proper complaint one would have have to have seen the person throwing the banana rather than just seeing the banana hit the pitch?

Given that the person was ejected from the ground by match officials, and given that the gardai seem to have actual footage of him doing what he did, then they should be able to have a word with him regarding the footage and the fact the officials wanted him out of the ground because of his actions.

Surely if there is no complaint against the guy by the match officials that threw him out of the ground, then he could claim that he was thrown out for no reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

saw another tweet from him

hi to all the Irish football Lover, limerick and Munster fans. I will never put you guys in the same basket of this/those people.

Could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Well thank God in the 14 years since you have been a lot has changed. The lads running the club now are the same fans who were disgusted at the way the club was run in the 90's and instead of moaning, complaining and bad mouthing the club they have at least tried to do something about it.

Another thing I would like to point out was the scumbags who thought it was ok to come onto the North Terrace after the game and try take the flags that were hung for the game, what the hell is wrong with people in this town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭irishproduce

And I suppose in order to make a proper complaint one would have have to have seen the person throwing the banana rather than just seeing the banana hit the pitch?

Given that the person was ejected from the ground by match officials, and given that the gardai seem to have actual footage of him doing what he did, then they should be able to have a word with him regarding the footage and the fact the officials wanted him out of the ground because of his actions.

Surely if there is no complaint against the guy by the match officials that threw him out of the ground, then he could claim that he was thrown out for no reason?

I think the complaint would have to come from Gael Clichy is what they mean.
    Someone should go to his twitter page and ask him to make a complaint to see the issue dealt with.
    I don't use twitter.

Advertisement